Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EXPLODING HEAD OR HOW I DID THE BALLET  (Read 5237 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: THE EXPLODING HEAD OR HOW I DID THE BALLET
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2014, 07:32:26 PM »

Not on Goodreads or Barnes and Noble.

There's one review on Barnes and Noble and it's a goodie.  I don't think many people do reviews on that site like they do on amazon.  Goodreads - I have done those giveaways on the last three books and everyone applies for them, you send out ten books and no one reviews them, or, if they do, you're being reviewed by some opinionated teen who trashes it because it doesn't conform to the kinds of books they like or characters they like.  One such young lady of eighteen informed her "reading public" of three people that no sixteen-year-old would ever call their mother "mommy".  Really?  Note to young lady: Just because you live in such a rather silly world, does not mean that the majority of young girls inhabit it with you.  I happen to know at least ten sixteen-year-old girls who call their mothers mommy because, oh, I don't know, call me crazy, that's what girls of that age have been calling their mothers for decades - oh, I do realize there is a subset of entitled kids who have been parented by parents trying to be their "friends" rather than actual parents and yes, they probably call their mothers by their first names.  Phooey on that.

I am sorry you are mistaken   there are two reviews on Barnes and Noble and one on GoodReads

:)

You sneak. ;)

moi?
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2014, 07:44:09 PM »

There's one review on Barnes and Noble and it's a goodie.  I don't think many people do reviews on that site like they do on amazon.  Goodreads - I have done those giveaways on the last three books and everyone applies for them, you send out ten books and no one reviews them, or, if they do, you're being reviewed by some opinionated teen who trashes it because it doesn't conform to the kinds of books they like or characters they like.  One such young lady of eighteen informed her "reading public" of three people that no sixteen-year-old would ever call their mother "mommy".  Really?  Note to young lady: Just because you live in such a rather silly world, does not mean that the majority of young girls inhabit it with you.  I happen to know at least ten sixteen-year-old girls who call their mothers mommy because, oh, I don't know, call me crazy, that's what girls of that age have been calling their mothers for decades - oh, I do realize there is a subset of entitled kids who have been parented by parents trying to be their "friends" rather than actual parents and yes, they probably call their mothers by their first names.  Phooey on that.

MY[/i] sixteen  year old  did not call me "Mommy".... she called me Mama  (still does)

Although I am not now nor never was a 16 year-old girl, I never, never called my Mom by her first name.  She would have been greatly insulted by that and she would have hit me for being "too forward".  In fact, in public or at a function, my Mom would also be insulted if she was referred to as "she".  "She" was not her first name.  My Mom was and will always be "Ma" which is how I always addressed her.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:45:51 PM by Dan M »
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

vixmom

« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »

MY[/i] sixteen  year old  did not call me "Mommy".... she called me Mama  (still does)

Although I am not now nor never was a 16 year-old girl, I never, never called my Mom by her first name.  She would have been greatly insulted by that and she would have hit me for being "too forward".  In fact, in public or at a function, my Mom would also be insulted if she was referred to as "she".  "She" was not her first name.  My Mom was and will always be "Ma" which is how I always addressed her.

actually I call  my mother "Ma" or "Mom"  when talking TO  her   but when  talking ABOUT her to my  brothers or father  she is always 'Mommy"

Cillaliz

« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2014, 08:11:51 PM »

MY sixteen  year old  did not call me "Mommy".... she called me Mama  (still does at 20 years, 11 months and 26 days)   :)
I always called my mom   "mom".  Never said mommy. But  I know lots of girls who did

vixmom

« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »

and I haven't been 16 for 40 years

Cillaliz

« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »

When i just added it to my goodreads it already had a 5 star rating so someone besides me rated it there

Cillaliz

« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »

Got my laundry done tonight. Nice to have the chores done so i can enjoy the rainy day tomorrow. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2014, 08:18:30 PM »

I'm really sleepy .....  going to bed early

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »

Happy Birthday DR Jennifer!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2014, 09:52:18 PM »

I gotta tell you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2014, 09:52:52 PM »

Since I wanted to just keep dozing, I watched nothing but Netflix documentaries, one after another.  Several did the trick, but several were very good.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2014, 10:13:50 PM »

Good morning, all! I slept in because I could.

I have some work here today and a day to myself. I've got a couple of DVDs I want to watch and I need to track down Kim Criswell who's been sighted about Manhattan this week.  I think she leaves today for Chattanooga and if we can't get together, we can at least talk.

DR ChasSmith, another triumph!

DR Cillaliz, what a disaster! I can only wish the best for the aftermath. I have a memory that happened once to my parents around 50 years ago, when we kept a large freezer stocked in our basement.

DR George, A Room With A View is by a wonderful writer Marc Acito and Jeff Stock, whose score for The Triumph of Love is quite wonderful.  Jeff's a piece of work and a former friend.

DR TCB, a total of five in the house? Did they like the show?

I hope so.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »

I think I'll take a nice hot shower.  I'm grateful my throat is feeling better, and I've been very quiet today so hopefully my voice will come back to strength soon.

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »

I think I'll take a nice hot shower.  I'm grateful my throat is feeling better, and I've been very quiet today so hopefully my voice will come back to strength soon.

Continued good health vibes to you.  The one and only time I ever had laryngitis, I rolled with it and pretended that I was doing an impression of Lucy in her latter days when her voice was two octaves lower.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »

Started the evening by watching MUSIC SCENE  a short-lived ABC series from 1969-1970 which starred David Steinberg, Lily Tomlin and The Committee.  The credited writers also included Tony Hendra.  Patrick Williams was the musical director.  He wrote the theme song and conducted the orchestra in a performance of it.  I would seek out more Patrick Williams; I am familiar with his TV theme songs, but not as much with his movie scoring. 

Some of the guests were great, like the Everly Brothers performing a medley of then-current songs.  Some choices were odd, like Della Reese and Steve Lawrence alongside Merle Haggard and Three Dog Night.  Apparently "Sugar, Sugar" by The Archies was the big song that season and so was featured on many of the programs included on the DVD.  Several groups covered the song, with the animated Archies "performing" the song on the very last show.  There never seemed to be a settled format for the show and unlike The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour this was not the proper vehicle for Steinberg's talents.  Overall, a failure of a TV show, with some maybe weirdly brilliant moments, but not surprisingly cancelled as it did not fit on regular late 60s TV.  I still liked it though.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2014, 11:00:25 PM »

Am in the middle of THE FANTASTIC MR. FOX and am liking it.  Even George Clooney can't ruin this one for me.  Wes Anderson is very clever and even though this is a stop-motion animated movie, his style is all over it.  Highly recommended.

-- Edith Baines Bunker
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up