Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: 80,000 POSTS  (Read 26560 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:80,000 POSTS
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2004, 10:25:56 PM »

I ordered the Ken Bloom book and A Broadway Christmas CD from Amazon!  Hehehehe.....it's only money!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

François de Paris

« Reply #211 on: December 10, 2004, 10:30:09 PM »

I was also going to suggest THE DEVIL'S DISCIPLE to DRPANNI - and wasn't there a movie about JOHN PAUL JONES with Robert Stack?

The Jakes tv series are good!

Hmmmmmm...DRDANISE - I didn't notice that he sang the Phantom songs higher than usual....

Jrand,

I believe Danise was referring to a Phantom she saw and heard in a previous production some time ago, not the current one touring Florida!

François de Paris

« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2004, 10:31:30 PM »

.it's only money!

(Wish I could say that myself!)

... and you can't take it with you! :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2004, 10:31:41 PM »

Page Eight Dance!  8)

Finally got it posted!

:-X
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 10:34:40 PM by JRand54 »

François de Paris

« Reply #214 on: December 10, 2004, 10:31:57 PM »

New Page!

Let's do the Phantom Crawl Dance!

François de Paris

« Reply #215 on: December 10, 2004, 10:32:34 PM »

JRand,

Shall we dance?

I'll lead!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2004, 10:32:42 PM »

Good Evening! -Again...

Where to begin?  Where to begin?....

MEDIA CHECK -

Only my CD player has been in use this week:
Janis Siegel - "Sketches of Broadway"
"A Broadway Christmas"
"Holiday in Plaid"

And I'm currently listening to Beverly Cosham's new CD.  And who is Bev Cosham, you may ask?  Well, she's a Washington, DC based singer and actress, and she just released a new CD featuring the lyrics of Yip Harburg.  Quite a nice selection of tunes, well-known and not so well known.  The arrangements on the CD were done by my frequent pit-mate, George Hummel, who's also a very fine reed player.  The charts range from a basic jazz sextet, to other ones featuring some strings, woodwinds, etc.  Very nice arrangements, and Bev is using more of her upper range on this album than I'm used used to hearing.  Very neat.  She has a very neat voice - I'd say it's sort of jazzy-operatic - a big voice, with a great smoky tone to it.  She's a frequent guest artist for some of those composer and lyricist tribute concerts that the Smithsonian does every now and then.

For any interested DRs, you can check out sound clips - and order a copy for yourself or your loved ones - yes, the holidays are upon us ;) - at:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/cosham

-And, yes, she's a friend of mine too!  Actually, she was responsible for my New York City cabaret debut a couple of years ago - hmmm, it has been a few - at the sadly now-closed Eighty-Eights in The Village.  We did two weekends up there, and had a blast.
Make Your Own Luck.

François de Paris

« Reply #217 on: December 10, 2004, 10:33:37 PM »

Et.... UN, Deux, Trois... et, Un, Deux, Trois!

-- I leave "Un, Dos, Tres" To El Rico Martin of course!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #218 on: December 10, 2004, 10:36:01 PM »

Very interesting DRJOSE - thanks for the link.

Let's line dance, DRFRANCOIS - it is easier!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #219 on: December 10, 2004, 10:36:39 PM »

Bedtime.....for Bonzo....and me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #220 on: December 10, 2004, 10:45:24 PM »

THANK YOU to all of you for all your Well-Wishes and Good Vibes for my father.

When I got into tonight after the show, he happened to be trying out the new karaoke system he just bought...  Which, I guess, is a good thing...

;)

As for myself... My family is pretty hearty stock.  Myself, I've never broken a bone in my body, nor had an overnight hospital stay.  I still have my tonsils, I still have my wisdom teeth, and I still have my appendix.  -One of my brothers had an appendectomy a few years ago.  Yes, I've had some health issues over the years - like this past spring - but nothing ever that serious, so...

I'm just trying my best to be optimistic and not to worry about anything I shouldn't be worrying about right now.  I have a tendency work out the worst possible scenarios in my head... And with the usual stress of a tech week to deal with this week as well... I'm doing OK.  If anything, I've just been a bit too tired to deal with "it" - or at least to think about it too much.

But, like I said, my father was "singing" earlier tonight...-He's not too bad, but he was consistently behind the beat - but consistent in that regard.  It made for some intereting stresses with the accompaniment tracks out of sync by a beat or two.

We just all have to see how Monday goes and take it from there...

But, again, Thank You to all of you.

Vibes Help.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #221 on: December 10, 2004, 10:53:24 PM »

I believe William Gibson made a play out of the letters of Abigail and John Adams.  Another musical set around that time is Ben Franklin In Paris.  I seem to recall that one of the writers involved with that also did another Revolutionary war era piece.

Alan Bennett's fine play, I believe, was called The Madness of King George III.  When it was filmed, studio execs dropped the III, worried that the public would think it a second sequel.

And what years does Amadeus depict?  The play script is far better than the screenplay
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2004, 11:04:30 PM »

....OH, and it looks like New York is official for me somehow or another come this spring... I gave my notice to my roommate when I got back to Richmond last night...  -Let me explain...

After last night's run-through - which went very well - I decided to go ahead and head back to Richmond.  It wasn't too rainy, and we were done with rehearsal right before 11:00pm - not too later, at least for me.  I made it back to my apartment in Richmond by 12:45.  -I also wanted to pick up some more stuff since I probably won't be heading back this Monday.  -And I needed to bring up my keyboard pedals since the ones at the theatre all have "issues".

When I was walking up the sidewalk, my roomie was outside on the front porch smoking a cigarette - at least he smokes outside - and talking on his cell.  -And that's when I noticed some lights in the window - he had started setting up the Christmas decorations.  Well...

First of all, my roomie's Christmas decorations are just plain ugly.  Even he knows that a bunch of them are just plain tacky and should be thrown out.  -Come on, some of them are made of popsicle sticks and glitter - and they were made just five years ago.. BY HIM!?!?!?!?

Secondly, I had been asking to him to clean up around the apartment.  Nothing major, just the usual dusting and vaccuming, since I seem to get stuck with the cleaning (which I sort of don't mind).  Well, I was hoping he had at least done some cleaning before setting up the Christmas decorations so he wasn't just covering up the dust with greenery and ribbons.  No such luck.

Thirdly, when I walked into the kitchen, I noticed some burned stuff in the garbage can, and I smelled something burned in the air.  I thought it was just microwave popcorn since our microwave has a hot spot in it, and we both end up scorching our popcorn quite regularly.  Well... After looking around the kitchen a bit more, I noticed something else missing...  Then I headed back to the living room...

"Where's the toaster oven?"

-Oh, I left some potatoes in there, and forgot about them... They started burning... So, I threw them out."

"Yeah, I saw the stuff in the trash can.  But where's the toaster oven?"

-Oh, I threw is away.

"But it was MY toaster oven.  My NEW toaster oven."

That's when I just went ahead and removed myself from the situation.  I could just tell he was not going to tell about the whole mess, hoping I wouldn't notice.  Needless to say, I was livid.

I went ahead and made some microwave popcorn - I needed something to eat anyway - and I didn't burn it.  I sat in my bedroom going through my mail from the week.  Then I took my checkbook out, and wrote him out the check for the month's rent... minus the cost of the utilities AND the toaster oven!

I walked back into the living room, gave him the check...

"Here's the rent.  Sorry, it's been a busy week for me, I just never had a chance to get to the post office this week.  By the way, I've booked an off-Broadway show in March, so I'll be out of here March 1."

-OK... Cool

Then I headed back to my bedroom... Went through the rest of my mail, and got ready for bed - I had to be up in five hours anyway to head back up to DC for this afternoon's rehearsal.  I was still mad.  It took me a good chunk of time to calm down.  Thankfully, the classical station was playing some particularly soothing music last night.

I got up this morning, showered, packed my stuff up, and headed back up to DC.  And I took my good iron, my portable CD player and some other stuff with me that I don't want my roomie burning up.  And on the drive back up, I started planning how to make the best use of my next couple of Mondays back in Richmond... Pack this up.  Pack that up.  Get the storage place set up...

At least I'll be out of that apartment March 1.  I do have a gig in Greensboro the first week of March, and then I go right up to NYC for PennyO's show.  But before that, I have two weeks off after HALLELUJAH, BABY! closes to get things in order, packed up and moved on.

-Well, I need to stop this thread.. I'm starting to get worked up again... And a little sad...

-And I'm really tired right now too.. so...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 11:08:51 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2004, 11:18:56 PM »

However... I have had a few wonderful bright spots this week, despite the gray, rainy weather, the tech rehearsals, and my roomie...

On the way out of rehearsal the other afternoon, I ran into Sue White.  Sue was my Stage Manager for South Pacific at Arena Stage two seasons ago.  Such a wonderful person, very positive, encouragin, funny, and one helluva a stage manager too - one of those people one step ahead of everyone else.  Well, she was supposed to come back last season to do Camelot, but she was a no-show on the first day of rehearsal.  A week into rehearsals, they finally told some of us why she wasn't back with us: she had developed ovarian cancer, and was starting treatments.  Needless to say, that was very sobering news.

A week or two later, Sue dropped into rehearsals - with four dozen Krispy Kremes in hand!  Yes, a little tired and weary from the treatments, but still in good spirits.  Hugs all around.  And she talked with me for a bit, and explained her whole situation with a good sense of reality and humor.  Made me feel a lot better.

So when I ran into her the other day, she really picked my spirits up, made my heart happy.  It turns out, she's back working on the next show.  She'll just be the assistant stage manager, so just in case she gets a bit tired, she'll have the leeway to take some time off.

She's had more chemo, and her hair has started to fall out - she was wearing her South Pacific cap.  -She greeted me with, "Hey, your hair is longer than mine now!"  ;)  But, thankfully, she's had no real adverse side affects to the chemo.  Good drugs, and good spirit.

It'll be very nice having her in the building again.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2004, 11:20:54 PM »

Not much time nut I at least wanted to post to wish MBarnum a very VERy happy Birthday!!!!!!! Hope blowing out all the candles on your cake didn't wind you too much. ::) ;D
There is no music without silence, only noise...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2004, 11:24:06 PM »

And hearing my father trying out the new karaoke system was also a bright spot tonight...

And hearing my nephew going through the songbook, and finding new songs to sing... He really liked singing, "Happy Birthday"... over and over again...  Then it was onto "Twinkle, Twinkle"... then his father told him it was time to go home.  They'll be back tomorrow.

And when I walked in, I leaned over to John, and said, "Hey, John.. come over..."  then he jumped up into my arms, gave me a big hug and nice peck on the cheek.

"Wot a sweet affectionate child it is..."

Then my niece, Alyssa, gave me her trademark apprehensive greeting - but she was also a little sick tonight, so that was OK.

And when I went to say Goodnight to my niece, Alexandra, she also gave me a nice hug and a kiss..

...And after this long week of rehearsals - and after last night's incident with my roomie - that was all I needed to feel good again.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2004, 11:25:49 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MBARNUM!!!!

-And if you didn't meet that Brazilian dentist again tonight, I hope you ran into an Indian Bollywood star!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2004, 11:36:39 PM »

DR JANE: Thank you for the kind words.
DR DER BRUCER: Thank you for the good advice.
DR GINNY; Thank you for the gentle words.
and
DR Mbarnum: Happy Birthday to you!
I’ve been in Tokyo, near Tokyo bay, ever since I was born. I really love my city.  Are you interested in Japan a/o Japanese stuff? I’d be happy to tell you about what you’d like to know.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2004, 11:42:21 PM »

Confidential to DR elmore:  Amanda Green came into town last night for last night's run-through...

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2004, 11:45:02 PM »

Good to see you again, Hisaka! Welcome!

Panni

« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2004, 11:46:26 PM »

Jose - Tell us about Arthur Laurents. Am I right that he's directing the show - at 88?

Panni

« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2004, 11:47:54 PM »

I should comment on your story about your roomie... Look at it this way - he made it REALLY easy for you to leave.

Panni

« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2004, 11:49:47 PM »

I just squished a huge bug - perhaps a cricket (I hope not) crawling around in my sink. I really should have just put it outside - but it probably would have jumped out of my hand.
Shouldn't have done it. Sorry, bug!

Panni

« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2004, 11:50:28 PM »

Does one-woman frenzy come to mind?...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2004, 11:51:13 PM »

Oh...  A correction to my Media Report:

"Holiday in Plaid" rather than "Plaid Tidings" - But basically the same thing.

And one addition as of an hour ago:

Stephen Scwhartz - "Uncharted Territory".   I've had this for a few years, and I've never listened to it- it just got buried somewhere in my many piles of yet-to-be-listened-to CDs.  Well, after DRs DerB and SWW mentioned it earlier today in their post - well, one of their posts - I decided, hm... And I happened to bring it up with me from Richmond.

*That's also part of the "plan" for the next couple of weeks.  I'm going to bring up a handfull of CDs and a few DVDs to listen to and watch during the week.  Hopefully, I'll make some good progress through the "yet-to-be-listened" and "yet-to-be-watched" lists.

And, yes, DR MBarnum, the Bollywood movie you sent me is first on the list of DVDs!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2004, 11:57:15 PM »

Jose - Tell us about Arthur Laurents. Am I right that he's directing the show - at 88?

Mr. Laurents - or "Artie" as the band has come to call him ;) - is surprisingly spry and "happy".

The Baltimore Sun did an interview with him earlier this week.  It might be available on-line...  I'll check later... But
before I get locked out of this topic/day..
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up