Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CALLING BIRDS  (Read 19391 times)

Kerry

Re:THE CALLING BIRDS
« Reply #150 on: December 16, 2004, 09:37:03 PM »

Yikes!  I said I would post today and almost forgot.   I got the most wonderful autographed picture in the mail today-- one I shall treasure greatly.

I hope to add to the collection of photos of special people (cough, cough).

Today was better than yesterday.   Last night I needed to think a few things through so went up to one of the parks in the mountains and swung on the swings.  Unfortunately they have moved the swings so you can't see as many of the city lights as you're swinging.  But it still helped to clarify a few things for me.

I figure I've thought out so many things while swinging overlooking the city that I should continue the practice.
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #151 on: December 16, 2004, 09:41:25 PM »

DR Ann, according to two ladies whose books I have enjoyed, Dr. Yvonne Kaye and Louise Haye, the color green is very powerful in its healing properties.  Their way of sending vibes is to picture those in health needs bathed in a brilliant green light (which is kind of weird, because no one looks good in green light.)  In any case, I'm sitting here picturing you awash in the color green.  And hey!--Look at that!  You still look good!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~  VIBES OF HEALTH FOR DR ANN  ~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2004, 09:44:06 PM »

All I want to know is who do I have to blank to get to see their What If? DVD?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2004, 09:48:22 PM »

Lots and lots of vibes for Ann and Jose's dad and anyone else who needs them. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The only really exciting thing I did today was to go to The Fifth Floor. School is out and my finals are done and everything, but I just couldn't keep away from The Fifth Floor. It has some kind of hold on me.

I went there to pick up the graded term papers and finals that my teachers left there for me. They weren't there, of course, because it's The Fifth Floor and I should have known that they wouldn't be there.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2004, 09:48:53 PM »

And one for Mahler's underpants.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #155 on: December 16, 2004, 09:55:56 PM »

TOD:  I wasn't impressed with much that I bought this year.  There were only about three new releases that I liked enough to play multiple times and they were in the rock/pop category.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: December 16, 2004, 10:39:56 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the show...

"Opening night... It's Opening Night!"

The show went well.  There were some technical issues - mainly sound stufff - early on, but things seemed to smooth out as the evening progressed.

Before the show, I was treated to dinner by DRs SWW and DerB.  -Thank you!  Needless to say, the conversation was sparkling and scandalous - I don't think it could be anything but with those two. ;)

Originally, we had planned on heading into Virginia to grab dinner, but after sitting in almost the same spot for about 10 minutes, we ended up doing a U-Turn on Maine Ave., and ended up dining at the Pier 7 Restaurant... Right across the street from the theatre.  -Total distance distance travelled - about 4 blocks.  Total net distance travelled - about 2 feet!

The dinner was good, and our waiter now knows the difference between Zinfandel and White Zinfandel. ;)

The reception afterwards was nice.  People gave speeches - mercifully short ones.  And there was plenty of food to knosh on too.  I just wish the desserts hadn't have been holiday-themed - there were two many decorated sugar cookies, imho.  I was hoping for the brownies and the miniature fruit tarts that are normally put out for consumption.  But, hey, the food - and the wine and beer - were free, so...

I did have my pic taken with Mr. Laurents and Molly Smith, the Artistic Director of Arena Stage.  -I'm sure our Delaware denizens will post the pics once they arrive back home.  -And I hope they don't have to deal with all the traffic they had to deal with on the trip in on the way back.

-And, as has now become a tradition... Thank you for the roses!  I even got two different kinds this time round!!

:)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 10:42:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #157 on: December 16, 2004, 10:44:50 PM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #158 on: December 16, 2004, 10:51:43 PM »

In other news...

Once I got back home, I realized my mother and father were still not home.  I noticed they weren't here earlier when I got back from running my errands.  I figured they had stepped out just to get out of the house for a bit.  Unfortunately, it turns out they were back at the hospital.

Due to some blood issues, my father was readmitted tonight.  My mom got back from the emergency room/hospital room about an hour after I got back home.  It's not exactly a routine post-surgery complication, but it's also not something totally unexpected.

The doctors just want to keep him overnight for observation, and to keep an eye on his bloodwork.

-My mom has actually been very quiet since she got home.  Tired and quiet.  And that hasn't exactly helped me feel better about the whole situation.  But I'm here, and at least I was able to clean up the kitchen and take care of some of the usual household chores when I got back tonight.

So... If I could have some Vibes for my Mom too, that would be great.  She is a strong woman, but I'm sure any and all support will be greatly appreciated.

...Well, I'm gonna go back and catch up on posts... I think it will be a while before I head to bed.

My dad's condition is not serious right now, the doctors are just be cautious.  Thanks again for the all the Vibes - they are helping.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #159 on: December 16, 2004, 10:56:29 PM »

The best of thoughts to your Mother And Father Jose and to you.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #160 on: December 16, 2004, 11:01:04 PM »

Jose, we'll be sure to send some positive west coast vibes your way.  I actually have a question for you, I was going to save it until Sunday, but it doesn't look like I'm sleeping here anytime soon, so I thought I'll just ask it.  I bought the "Hallelujah, Baby!" CD today in your honor, and I find it just a bore.  Is it more exciting on stage than it comes across on disc, and did it really deserve to win the Tony for Best Musical?

Panni

« Reply #161 on: December 16, 2004, 11:11:55 PM »

****DR Jose - Vibes of Health and Strength to your Mom, your Dad and to You****

Panni

« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2004, 11:13:00 PM »

If I don't go to bed very soon, I may collapse just like my rack. Goodnight, all.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #163 on: December 16, 2004, 11:20:11 PM »

Good night, Panni

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: December 16, 2004, 11:28:40 PM »

DR MBarnum - RE: Your "I won the What If? lottery and now I get to see more of Paul Haber" post...

:D

Thank you... I needed that!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2004, 11:44:07 PM »

Jose, we'll be sure to send some positive west coast vibes your way.  I actually have a question for you, I was going to save it until Sunday, but it doesn't look like I'm sleeping here anytime soon, so I thought I'll just ask it.  I bought the "Hallelujah, Baby!" CD today in your honor, and I find it just a bore.  Is it more exciting on stage than it comes across on disc, and did it really deserve to win the Tony for Best Musical?

Thank you, Matthew.

As for Hallelujah, Baby! and the Tony... I dunno.  -I'm not sure what it was up against that year.

I haven't listened to the CD too many times since I knew the arrangements were being revamped for this production.  Additionally, about half the original score has been jettisoned, the remainder of it modified, and the new "big song" never made it to the OCR, "When the Weather's Better".  And Amanda Green has supplied some new and updated lyrics.

*I'll post the article from the Washington Post that appeared earlier this week after I post this post it - it explains it better.

However, from my few listenings, I do have to say the CD sounds a bit flat.  And there's no real sense of excitement or urgency.

For this production we are down to a band of seven: Piano, bass (electric and upright), drums, guitar/banjo, trumpet/flugel, reeds (flute, clarinet, alto sax, oboe), and keyboards (me).  I do miss having more horns in some of the more "horn-ier" numbers - remember, no groaning - but I do think we sound fine.  I'm mainly playing some string lines as well as mallets (glock/bells, vibes and xylophone).

As for it being exciting on stage...  I'll wait for some other DRs to post their opinions.  As I stated earlier, I'm basically just a pit musician for this show, so...

OH, and the book has been drastically revised too for this production, so it would truly be a case of comparing apples and oranges.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2004, 11:44:20 PM »

NO SPOILERS!!!!!  It doesn't start on the West Coast for another hour and 8 minutes!

George, I wouldn't do that to you!

Thanks...I didn't really think that anyone would. ;D But just in case, I didn't even turn on my computer until about 10 minutes ago (at about 11:30). ::)

The outcome didn't surprise me.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2004, 11:48:28 PM »

DR Matthew.. As promised...

-The following is from and copyright of The Washington Post:

For Laurents, Time to Revise & Shine

By Jane Horwitz
Special to The Washington Post
Tuesday, December 14, 2004; Page C05

"Don't look at the numbers, don't look in the mirror. . . . Never retire and never die," advises Arthur Laurents. "And I love what I do."

The 86-year-old playwright has been in Washington following his own advice, and his passion, staging a drastically revised version of "Hallelujah, Baby!" Now in previews at Arena Stage, the 1967 musical about race in America opens Thursday and runs through Feb. 13, a co-production with the George Street Playhouse of New Brunswick, N.J.

Long before "Baby!" Laurents had joined the top echelon of Broadway scribes, writing the books for "Gypsy" and "West Side Story," "Anyone Can Whistle" and "Do I Hear a Waltz?" His first play, "Home of the Brave," dealt with anti-Semitism in the military, circa 1945. He's written scripts for films such as "Anastasia," "The Turning Point" and "The Way We Were," the latter two based on his novels.

"Hallelujah, Baby!," with music by Jule Styne and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, follows the life of an ageless African American woman through several decades of the 20th century as she deals with ever-changing, and yet never-changing, racial attitudes.

Lena Horne was slated to play the lead in the original production. "I wrote it for Lena. We were extremely close and I knew her. The character was a very hard-edged, angry, funny, sexual tigress," Laurents says. But Horne dropped out of the show for personal reasons.

"At that point we should have dropped the project," he says, "because she was unique. . . . And then along came Leslie." Leslie Uggams took over the role and won a Tony Award for it, though Laurents says he "lost interest" after the role was changed to suit Uggams's girl-next-door image. The 1967 "Baby!" was not a hit; it ran only 293 performances.

Laurents recalls how hard it was in the turbulent 1960s to find African American actors willing to appear in a white-written show about race. "There was enormous resentment and resistance," he says. This time, he senses that the actors are comfortable with the revised material and with him. "The black people in this company know how I feel, which is about as unprejudiced as a white American can be. That's probably because I'm gay and Jewish. This whole company's incredible," Laurents says.

The Arena production is about 60 percent new. He cut several songs, added new lyrics (by the late Green's daughter, Amanda Green) and restored a song that Styne had cut in a fit of what Laurents calls "Broadway panic." That song, "When the Weather's Better," expresses a longing for kinder, more just times and ends the show "with a question," Laurents says. The final word, punctuated as it appears in his script, is "WHEN?!"

Laurents is now writing a play titled "A Country Made of Ice Cream," about the absence of outrage and activism in a nation filled with moneymakers and materialists. He quotes a line from "Hallelujah, Baby!" about speaking up: " 'You don't want, you don't get.' I really believe in standing up and being counted."
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up