Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THAT CHRISTMAS THING  (Read 28246 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THAT CHRISTMAS THING
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2004, 11:12:38 PM »

I've listened to almost all of the Bitchin' Babes and they are quite good.  I think the CD is almost a textbook example of weak sequencing, because the first three tracks are way too similar and I was ready to give up.  But, then came the HMO song and they had me.  In fact, I'm going to recommend that song to a singer I know, to put it on her new album, should her new album actually ever become a reality.

The Four Bitchin' Babes have been around for a quite a few years.  And it's not always been the same four.  Julie Gold used to tour as one of the Babes, as did Christine Lavin.  -Christine Lavin's songbook is a wonderful source for cabaret material.  They make a visit or two to the Birchmere in Alexandria, VA, each year.  And there were at least two Bitchin' Babes songbooks published.  Cherry Lane (Hal Leonard) I believe was/is the publisher.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2004, 11:16:56 PM »

When I got home from the breakfast, I watched another episode of STAR TREK from Season 2 - "Obsession." Amazing how beautiful these old shows look now on DVD. The color is so very rich. Used to look so pastel on our old Admiral color TV 40 years ago.
Ah, yes, back in the good ol' days, when you knew a crewman was going to die if he was wearing a pink shirt.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2004, 11:17:40 PM »

I don't know from Elegies, but, of course, we recommend purchasing recordings from all labels via amazon.com, cduniverse.com, deepdiscountcd.com or eBay.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: December 25, 2004, 11:19:17 PM »

And just where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was Christmas or something.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: December 25, 2004, 11:22:42 PM »

On my side of the continent, it's the day AFTER Christmas already.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #155 on: December 25, 2004, 11:26:00 PM »

The last time that I watched "The Sound of Music" on TV was quite a few years ago.  Julie was singing "I Have Confidence" and came to the part near the end of the song:

It can be
All I trust I leave my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone...

(spoken) Oh, help.
(sung) I have confidence in confidence alone,
Besides, which you see, I have confidence in me!

Anyway, they got to the spoken part:

It can be
All I trust I leave my heart to
All I trust becomes my own
I have confidence in confidence alone...

(spoken) Oh, help....

"And we'll be right back to The Sound of Music after these commecial messages."  

:o THEY DIDN'T FINISH THE SONG!  I was livid!  I turned off the TV (I was so mad I didn't even change the channel) and I vowed right then and there that I would NEVER watch The Sound of Music on TV again.  And I haven't.  I won't even watch the commercials for it. :P

Didn't NBC own the broadcast rights for a while?  I don't seem to recall it being on ABC before like it was tonight.
???

Well, I believe tonight they showed the whole movie.  However... And I'll need to check my DVD back in Richmond...

I could have sworn they did some tweaking during the Mother Abbess and Maria scene which contains the now infamous line:  "What is it that you can't face?"  -With "can't" sounding almost like another word due to the accent.  Well... The scene started, and when it got to that line, I could have sworn the vocal had been tweaked.  The "a" in "can't" sounded modified, almost American, like the "a" in "bad", instead of like the first "a" in "American". ;)  -And it also looked liked they edited the film there too - I could have sworn the camera is on the Mother Abbess' face when she says that line, but tonight it was just on her dimly lit profile.  Hmm...

*Oh, and while watching "Welcome to Woop-Woop" the other night on latenight cable, there's a whole celebration/ritual that takes place in the movie when the residents of Woop-Woop hear the line, "What is it you can't face?".  Lots of hooting and hollering.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #156 on: December 25, 2004, 11:32:46 PM »

Christmas itself went very well for us.  We took a carload of presents to the grandlads (and a couple to their parents), all of which received the "Ah, Neat!" accolade.  It was a year for lots of remote-controled vehicles, and a remote-controled robot as well.

We feasted on the daughter's rib roast, which was served with baked potatoes, mac and cheese, green beans, cole slaw, and an interesting variation on creamed onions.  These onions, prepared by der B's ex-wife, were made with cocktail onions, the kind that have been pickled in a vinagery brine.  The combination of the pickling and creaming was ... most unusual.

Der B and I earlier had believed that another group would be charging into the house after dinner, for more merriment, but the plans were changed without our being told and we were told instead not to leave.  There were no fights, few raised voices, and everything went quite well, but it still took us quite a while to finally be able to take our leave, and then the long drive home (complete with rehash of the evening).

All and all, a merry Christmas, after all.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2004, 11:43:32 PM »

:o THEY DIDN'T FINISH THE SONG!  I was livid!  I turned off the TV (I was so mad I didn't even change the channel) and I vowed right then and there that I would NEVER watch The Sound of Music on TV again.  And I haven't.  I won't even watch the commercials for it. :P

I wouldn't watch it period.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #158 on: December 25, 2004, 11:44:36 PM »

Elegies, of the three, Elegies.

A serious trim also came in the EDELWEISS sequence in the living room....all of the children's reaction shots (including Angela Carwright's) were cut, and the song ended after the first verse...."bless my homeland forever....."  And yes the cuts were always followed by a commercial, almost before you missed what you didn't see....but not quite.  I think there was also an edit or two in the cemetery.....

LOL DRJoSE introduced me to WELCOME TO WOOP WOOP more than a year ago.  It is a very funny movie AND a great soundtrack!  And DRJOSE, I think your memory about the "can't face" scene is correct, but I too will have to check my DVD.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: December 25, 2004, 11:51:22 PM »

...The local contemporary Christian station has been playing the most gorgeous jazz-inflected a capella version of Alfred Burt's "Caroling, Caroling" I have ever heard, and I can never get through to them to find out who it is. ...
It's probably one of those computer-run stations, so no one has to be running the store.  Or, to put it another way, a case of "G*d in the Machine."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2004, 11:59:25 PM »

...I may get a cast recording or two with my leftover Christmas money.  I am having trouble deciding between Last Five Years, Parade, and Elegies.
I'd go for Parade myself.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up