Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING DAYS  (Read 25816 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE CASE OF THE DISAPPEARING DAYS
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2005, 09:04:30 PM »

The down-stairs tribe has demanded equal camera-time:

Can't a Lady get some peace and quiet around here?

der Brucer (who needs camera software that has a "fix blue-eye" button next to the "fix red-eye" one)

« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 11:03:54 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #211 on: March 02, 2005, 09:05:43 PM »

The days of Schwab's are done.

We arrived and the place was almost empty.  None of our friendly servers were there and when we asked about the manager, we found that he had also gone.  That the concern has now fallen under new management.  And once the food started arriving, it was apparent new management was not up to old management.  

BK & I both got half-Caesar salads that were about a fourth of what a half Caesar salad used to be.  And they had changed the dressing that had been so good.  The flank steak in The Lovely Wife's salad which had been so delicious before was impossible to cut and nearly broke her tooth.  After complaining, it was replaced with a dry, ordinary chicken.  The waiter boasted that bacon cheeseburger BK ordered was the best in town.  It wasn't.

I stuck with a dish that had always been good...the meat loaf over garlic mash.  But the mash were no longer garlic nor particularly good.  And the meat loaf wasn't as memorable either. The sauce seemed more ketchupy.

It seems like new management has already started to cut corners on the quality of the food while keeping the prices the same.  Seems like they are going after a much more prosaic crowd and that this will become as indistinguishable as an Outback Steakhouse or an Applebee's or a Denny's.  

BK & The Lovely Wife did like the heavy, dense, intense chocolate cake dessert which was a bit overwhelming for me (I like light, moist, and fluffy).  But all the while we were eating, we kept lamenting we should have gone to Musso & Frank's instead.  

But notwithstanding the food, the company was great as always and BK was in his usual rare form.

Oh, the diet coke tasted the same.

La Jolie Femme

• I can't read your mind, but you don't know that.
« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2005, 09:06:31 PM »

Dear Guys,

Ditto, ditto and ditto! Only, the salad substituted for the stringy, chewy, inedible beef was a dry, paltry, unappetizing chicken thingy. Yecch!  Be afraid...be VERY afraid!

This shoppe does not deserve the custom of ANYONE, except the inhabitants of Fleet Street, who expect a bit of trouble with the meat, the locale, and the proprietors.

Conversation with the Kritzmeister was great fun, however and made up for the indecent fare. Erudite, subtle, scatalogical....who could ask for anything more, I hear you query.  Who could ask for anything more? well, let me tell you, dearey:

Got my diamonds, got my yacht, got BK to adore...
I'm so happy with what I got... I want MORE....!!!

Fish to all,

La Jolie Femme

Charles Pogue

« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2005, 09:09:49 PM »

BK, I think it was a NINE-LAYER chocolate cake, but I doubt I'll be going back any time soon to find out.

MBarnum

« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2005, 09:11:13 PM »

Jane, thank you.  You r grandfather sounds like a wonderful man.  Bow ties can do that! :)

Michael, you are most welcome.  I think I asked you this before, but what would you suggest for my first venture into Bollywood?  Yes, I'm a virgin.  (Where's TCB when we need him?)

Hi Kerry,
Well it might all depend on your normal choice of movies...GUMNAAM, as was mentioned yesterday, is a good beginning point if you enjoy Agatha Christie and beach party movies...there there are the wonderful fantasy type films or soap opera dramas...or if you want something more modern then a good comedy or tearjearker or they have lots of shoot 'em up action films...let me know what types of movies you most enjoy and what vintage and I can suggest some titles for you....and then there is, of course, alway John Abraham's films!!

MBarnum

« Reply #215 on: March 02, 2005, 09:14:38 PM »

Oh, Ann I am sorry! Yikes!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #216 on: March 02, 2005, 09:17:53 PM »

So, they gave up having one of the best Caesars...

I presume a "best" Caesar has good Romaine lettuce with a dressing that includes anchovies and a coddled egg.

der Brucer (damn the salmonella - coddle away!)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #217 on: March 02, 2005, 09:24:17 PM »

The flank steak in The Lovely Wife's salad which had been so delicious before was impossible to cut and nearly broke her tooth.  After complaining, it was replaced with a dry, ordinary chicken.  

Perhaps they thought she ordered "plank steak".

Did thay at least have the decency to pluck the chicken before serving? (I have this vision of a whole freeze-dried chicken mounted on a bed of wilted greens :o

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #218 on: March 02, 2005, 09:54:12 PM »

Good Evening!

DR Ann - ~~~~JOB HUNTING FINDING VIBES~~~~

DR DerB and SWW - The pics of the pups are precious!

BK and DR Pogue - Sorry about the decline and fall of Schwab's.  Is the C.C. Brown's counter still open in that shopping "area"?  Are any stores still open in that shopping "area"?  -I just thought it was a bad way to lay things out especially considering that the shops are not visible from the street/sidewalk.

The reception was good.  Only a small plates of sweets, but at least there were some brownies.  However, there was this bowl filled with some spicy feta cheese, roasted red pepper dip - very yummy!  After the reception, I was able to sneak back in the audition room and tickle the ivories for a while.  I read through Jewish Thighs and my new Mamma Mia! book.

Now, I'm back in my room, did my stretching, and I'm heading to bed.  Loooong day tomorrow - 268 auditionees!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #219 on: March 02, 2005, 10:14:41 PM »

Jose, some of the shops in the cavern have already closed for  good. None of the others were open for business at 7:00 when we were there.  The C.C. Brown's was closed long ago...on our second visit to Schwab's.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 10:21:05 PM by Charles Pogue »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #220 on: March 02, 2005, 10:21:25 PM »

Just because you have a lot of something, does that make it a collection?  If so, I have many inadvertent collections.  Many of them just happen.
A collection really needs to be intentional.  My mother had a collection of bells, some of which she bought herself and many of which were given to her by her many friends.

I, on the other hand, have boxes filled with cooking magazines down in the basement.  This is not a collection; this is a pile.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #221 on: March 02, 2005, 10:42:58 PM »

I have very sad news to report.  Bruno has passed away.

Der Brucer went downstairs again shortly after his last post.  The little fellow simply wasn't healthy enough to survive, and was permanently sleeping.

Peggy, too, had been sleeping, and wasn't aware that anything was wrong until after der B had quietly taken the body away.  When der B went back down again, to make sure everyone else was fine, she began to realize that one of her puppies was missing.  She checked Benedick and Baxter, rolling them over and sniffing them carefully, and then counted them again before trying to search for the missing Bruno.

Benedick is quite healthy, wolfing down lots of pouched puppy food, and he has a good strong bark.  We're both watching Baxter carefully, because he doesn't seem to have as much of an appetite.

I know that these things do happen, but this is not a happy household all the same.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #222 on: March 02, 2005, 10:50:22 PM »

Gee, that was unexpected sad news S.Woody. Losses seem to have been an unfortunate theme of the day around here. Bless Peggy's motherly heart.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #223 on: March 02, 2005, 11:22:08 PM »

I suspect the entire Sunset+Vine complex is going to go bust.  They are not getting people in.  Given that Amoeba and the Arclight Cinemas, both of which do incredible business, are right across the street, they clearly have done something wrong.

Was it nine layers?  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #224 on: March 02, 2005, 11:24:58 PM »

Joey, I'm very sorry to hear about your Grandmother.  My condolences to you and your family.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #225 on: March 02, 2005, 11:29:11 PM »

S. Woody, that's very sad news, also.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #226 on: March 02, 2005, 11:41:51 PM »

New notes, new word in fifteen count them fifteen minutes.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up