Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: GETTING SERVICED  (Read 15540 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:GETTING SERVICED
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2004, 08:04:38 PM »

Well, so far Hurricane Jeanne has brought us rain, rain, rain but so far no heavy winds here in Charlotte. There have been tornados in other parts of the Carolinas, but here so far it's just been rain off and on all day, and right now it's raining heavily.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #151 on: September 27, 2004, 08:10:54 PM »

Thank you for the compliment on my picture, DR Elmore. Actually, that one may not be up much longer because I have grown my mustache back for playing Colonel Gillweather in SOMETHING'S AFOOT. At one point in the show (for those unfamiliar with it), a lady with whom I had an affair many years ago sings an ode to my character: "The Man with the Ginger Mustache."

Matt H.

« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2004, 08:12:28 PM »

Couldn't even enjoy CSI: MIAMI in high def because the weatherman kept breaking into the broadcast with updated weather bulletins. Yep, he confirmed what I suspected: it was raining outside.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 08:13:26 PM by Matt H. »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #153 on: September 27, 2004, 08:20:13 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  VIBES OF HEALTH FOR DR JOSE'S DAD  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #154 on: September 27, 2004, 08:21:18 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :)   :)   :)  WELCOME BACK DR ELMORE!  :)  :)  :)[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #155 on: September 27, 2004, 08:21:58 PM »

The escrow, unlike mine own, has not closed for Du-Par's.  I think they're hanging on by a thread until it does.  There were no busboys present, no ice for the soft drinks, no muffins, and two waiters for the entire restaurant.  I'm hoping the sale goes through because if they go on much longer like this, they will lose their customers.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #156 on: September 27, 2004, 08:24:07 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  THERAPUTIC VIBES FOR DR RLP'S ARM  ! ! ! ! ![/move]

(Vicodin?  Did someone say Vicodin?)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 08:40:19 PM by Dan (the Man) »
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2004, 08:25:26 PM »

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @  POWER VIBES FOR DR MICHAEL SHAYNE @ @ @ @[/move]
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2004, 08:26:27 PM »

[move=RIGHT,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @  POWER VIBES FOR DR DANISE @ @ @ @[/move]

('cause no doubt she needs them, too.)
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2004, 08:30:34 PM »

Tammy's got a red Mazda Miata - she'll be selling hers soon she tells me.  Now's your chance.

Ya know, if I weren't considering moving (and I considered leg reduction surgery so I could comfortably fit in it), I would be out there in a flash to kick the tires.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2004, 09:24:44 PM »

After the gig at The Players, I went to the wonderful coffee place on Irving Place to meet with a guy who wanted to ask me about theatre.  He's an MBA who's been working on Wall Street for ten years and he's sick and tired and wants to investigate whether he could become a producer.

I gave him quite an earful.  But what a wonderful ambition to have!  I said that, essentially, any one with access to capital can be a producer, but I told him lots of things that would surprise anyone: the union curtain-pullers on curtainless shows, the scam the Fire Department pulls, Equity's insistance on actors never wearing their own shoes, the David Merrick ad with quotes from men who shared the same names as the critics.

There are no David Merricks anymore.  But wouldn't it be wonderful if there could be?  Broadway is produced by "organizations" and, as with any committee facing accountability to a parent conglomerate, there's not a lot of artistic vision there.  Here's hoping I sent this guy on his way to being Merrick...
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2004, 09:26:36 PM »

Blueberries and muffin update: I couldn't find the kind of muffin I wanted. Also - Trader J's was STILL out of blueberries. Eeeek. I bought a Fancy Berry Mixture - a mix of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. It will have to do until the straight stuff comes in. I hope I can make it through...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 09:28:05 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2004, 09:32:07 PM »

i think I've mentioned before that because I live in a guesthouse it takes a bit longer for the hot water to heat up. Because of this, I need to turn on the shower a few minutes before I want to use it.
So... I've been sitting here for the last hour or so - talking on the phone, reading, on the computer, making popcorn, etc. I noticed the pleasant sound of rain outside - unusual for these parts. I just got up to see the rain - and realized I had turned on the shower and hour ago...  Oooops (spoo).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2004, 09:52:23 PM »

Good Evening!... From Richmond!!!

:)

The drive down from Fairfax was very uneventful and non-rainy.  It was a little drizzly here and there, but that was about it in regards to precipitation.  And I actually made good time considering that everyone seemed to be driving under the speed limit tonight - which actually was not that bad a thing considering the damp roads.  But even the truckers seemed to be taking their time tonight.  It was kind of strange.  Nice, but strange.

*And my car really seemed to be driving very well - I guess today's repair were for the better.

Once back in the Richmond city limits, I made a stop at Ukrop's, my favorite grocery store to pick up some supplies.  It felt good to be shopping in there again - seeing my favorite clerks, checking out the sales, etc.  Then I headed to my apartment.

Lo and behold, the city had paved the back alley!  No more tracking in mud and dirt into the kitchen!  And speaking of the kitchen: My roommate actually cleaned!!! Will wonders never cease?!?!?  He even cleaned the bathroom and the living room!!  -Of course, once I opened the refrigerator... ah, well... But it was sure nice to see a nice clean kitchen floor when I walked in the apartment.  -Ah, the simple joys.

--Oh, a downpour just started... and I'm sure it's not the water running in the bathroom (DR Panni) ;)   Let's just hope Jeanne does not overstay her un-welcome.

So, I've been going through my junk mail for the past hour or so... -Oh, I did go the restaurant on the corner for a quick late night bite - a very good artichoke/tomato/ginger soup, and a catfish sandwich.

-Oh, and I'm eating one of my souvenirs from California right now.. I just opened the "Fall Assortment" from See's. :)

OK - That's enough rambling for this post...

I'm home!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2004, 09:54:09 PM »

-Of course, I sat here for a few minutes wondering why the new Notes weren't up yet since it was past midnight....  DUH!!  I'm home.

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2004, 09:57:25 PM »

Did someone say See's?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2004, 10:04:34 PM »

Checkbook Update:  It's been found! :D  In L.A.  ::)

I somehow pushed it under a piece of furniture in my cousin's apartment.  She came back today and was moving the rest of her stuff out, and found it.  My brother will be FedEx-ing it to me at the end of the week.  Mystery solved.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2004, 10:20:22 PM »

Thanks again for all the Good Vibes for my father.

DR Jane: The whole hereditary aspect of prostate cancer has crossed my mind, so...

As I left the house, I made sure to check in with my father as he was working in the yard.  And I asked him if he was doing all right.  He said he was.  He did mention that he's dealing with "the prostate thingie", but that, so far, all the tests have been in his favor.  He's OK.  Obviously "nervous", but OK.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2004, 10:23:15 PM »

Welcome Back, DR Elmore!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: September 27, 2004, 10:24:03 PM »

DR Michael Shayne - Hope you get your power back on soon!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #170 on: September 27, 2004, 10:29:48 PM »

Oh, good!  This must be the rewrite I've heard about.  Any further details, when you get them, will be appreciated.

And VIBES
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Hallelujah, Baby opens soon up at George Street Playhouse in New Jersey (if it hasn't opened already), then it transfers down to Arena.  I'm not exactly sure if any tweaking will be done in between time, but there seems to be a few weeks between the runs for more rehearsals.  So, we'll see...  All I know right now is that I - along with the rest of the band/orchestra - will be on stage for the show.  Guess that means I'll have to get a new tux - ot maybe I'll be getting a fabulous costume!   ;)

And thanks for the VIBES~~~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #171 on: September 27, 2004, 10:31:40 PM »

Power vibes for DR MS....

RLP....ouch!  Healing is a slow process.

So hiding your checkbook under the furniture again, eh, DRJOSE?

Okay time for bed.  Work tomorrow and all that.  No rain here, nice fall weather.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #172 on: September 27, 2004, 10:32:26 PM »

Yes, DRELMORE - I changed my avatar on my birthday!  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

« Reply #173 on: September 27, 2004, 10:52:23 PM »

Hooray for the checkbook, DR Jose!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #174 on: September 27, 2004, 10:52:37 PM »

OK... Time for me to retire to the land of the Wussburgers... Which is actually a good thing... Guess my "trick" of staying up all night on Saturday and sleeping for 14 hours last night did the trick!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #175 on: September 27, 2004, 11:00:54 PM »

'Night, Jose. (And John Boy)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »

...I'm told there are towns where car ownership is essential.  Prior to hearing DR Jose's tales of the non-city city, I would have thought Los Angeles was one such place....
This is news, that Los Angeles is a "town".  Given that Los Angeles County contains two of the largest cities in the nation, Long Beach being the second, and that Long Beach is larger than Atlanta...

The term is "megalopolis."  It refers to an unbroken stretch of urban area, formerly consisting of several smaller urban areas that have since joined physically, if not as a single political entity.  Los Angeles is one such area.  New York City is the center of another megalopolis.  Each has serious problems with congestion, pollution, importation of goods (such as potable water, food, other consumables) and exportation of those goods after they've been used (a.k.a. garbage).  The NYC megalopolis is still dependent upon motor transport for the goods, adding to that citys congestion problems.  (How often have you seen deliveries of food being made to grocery stores via public transportation, after all?  Or clothing from wholesaler to retailer?)

I'm just amazed by how little the people who dwell in these megalopolises (megalopoli?) understand the infrastructure of their own environments.

But the real problem is (cars) frequently kill people.  Or injure people.  Amazingly frequently.  Everybody I know thinks they're a good driver.  They may be dead wrong.
I quit driving over two decades ago, because I was a terrible driver.  I know several people who will not drive at night, because they don't trust their night vision.  Good drivers know their limits.

And I don't see the sense in blaming the vehicle for the actions of a bad driver.  Cars are tools, machines, and most people that I know regard them as such.  They are not sentient, and do not act of their own accord.

I think it's interesting that we require a license for drivers and not gun-owners.  You'd think passing some sort of competancy test would be more important for guns.  The only purpose of a gun is to kill; that's what they're meant to do.  Cars have the higher purpose of transportation, and the cost we pay in human lives... well, it's awfully high.
To a degree, I agree with you here.  In an urban area, there should be stricter controls on gun usage, including the licencing of the users.

However, in a rural setting, where there is more variety of life forms than human, the use of guns can be more practical than the use of the word "kill" suggests.  What is being "killed" can be food.  Amazingly, there are still people in this nation who rely on their skills as hunters to help provide for their families.  I have relatives nearby who fit in that catagory.  They also fish, and farm.  Yes, they grow their own food.  Not everything they eat comes frozen and ready to be nuked.

What is being "killed" can also be predators, natural beasts of prey that are targeting livestock.

I've noticed a similar macho bravado about gun ownership and car ownership.  Many men seem to think they're things of beauty.  I disagree.  I think they're ugly, and dangerous, and cars, in certain parts of the world, are a necessary evil.  Nothing more, nothing less.
A machine of any type, well maintained and cared for, can indeed become a thing of beauty, made with craftsmanship and respect.  I also know many women who care and maintain their cars as well as the menfolk do.  This is not a "macho" trait at all.  I find it the mark of someone, regardless of sex, who respects their tools and abilities and is knowledgable about how they interact with their environment.  If this is "bravado," at least there is nothing false about it.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: September 27, 2004, 11:58:07 PM »

Apparently certain people just sit at their computers like so much fish for thirty minutes and don't post.  And what do we call those certain people?  WUSSBURGERS.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #178 on: September 27, 2004, 11:58:27 PM »

Dear BK:

You mentioned that Writer's Block takes place in 1969.

I don't know if you're interested, but my own research on what musicals were running on Broadway gave the following results:

Hello Dolly, Fiddler on the Roof, and Man of La Mancha were enjoying very long runs, as were Hair and Promises, Promises.  George M ended it's run in April, Cabaret and Zorbawould close in August, Mame at about the end of the year.

Opening and closing rapidly were Celebration (January thru April), Red, White and Maddox (Jan thru March), Canturbury Tales and Dear World (both February thru May), and Come Summer and Billy (quickly in March).  The end of the year brought Jimmy (October thru December) and Buck White and La Strada (Dec.)

Of more note during the year were the openings of 1776 in March, Oh! Calcutta in June, and Coco in December, with the latter running about a year and the other two running three years each before closing.

Hope this info matches what you've been working with.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: September 27, 2004, 11:59:52 PM »

I lived in NY in 1969 and that's why I set it in that year - having seen most of those shows that year.  But my research was extensive, with help from Tony Walton, Harvey Schmidt, Rupert Holmes and quite a few others.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up