Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: RETURN TO THE VALLEY OF THE NORMAL WORLD  (Read 3718 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: RETURN TO THE VALLEY OF THE NORMAL WORLD
« Reply #150 on: May 26, 2015, 08:39:53 PM »

One nice bit in this Coleman tribute is that Sheldon Harnick mentioned Randy Graff's CD that BK produced.

Is this on PBS?

It might have been years ago, but sadly not now. I got it from Elmore's bootleg suppliers.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #151 on: May 26, 2015, 08:40:04 PM »

Six!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #152 on: May 26, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »

Watching a nice tribute to Cy Coleman. So far, Lucie Arnaz, Neil Simon, Chita Rivera and James Naughton have been on. Really good stuff.

I always wanted a copy of Coleman's record titled something like "Playboy At Night" from the old TV show. I also missed obtaining a copy of what was released from the series. It was the "upscale" show with jazz legends and continued the James Bond type vibe of the era, with lots of Hef's friends as collateral stars on episodes.

I believe a CD version is available on Amazon. I have it on my Wish List.

Thanks John! I found it. That's the one I used to see as an LP when I was in college. There were two really quirky used book stores in the college town. One was in the upper floors of a kind of brown stone building. The guy who ran it had the name Pepper, and he was a shh-quiet-don't talk above a whisper-type. Being college guys, we naturally nicknamed him "Sgt. Pepper". He had the better organized of the two shops. I found lots of good stuff there, and he had a decent LP selection, much more eclectic than could be found at the "record" stores' used sections.

The other used book store was far more jumbled and ragtag. The guy who ran/owned it was a member of the band McKendree Spring. Persistence paid rewards though if you had time enough to search his shelves. The biggest difference was that unlike Sgt. Pepper, this book store had a wide selection of book conditions, from barely held together to barely used. I did find some good stuff here. His prices were good for a college student who made $7/hr. or whatever was the least amount per hour, considering that I worked maybe 10-15 hours a week.
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2015, 08:42:21 PM »

Hello, everyone.

And hello from my newly refurbished Macbook.

:)

Jane

« Reply #154 on: May 26, 2015, 08:50:49 PM »

Jane, no soreness from the accident? Are you 100%?

Thank you for asking.  I'm still sore but improving. 100% is never going to happen-lol.  I am slowly returning to my normal but need to get off this bed before it will happen.

Cillaliz

« Reply #155 on: May 26, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »

Thank you for asking.  I'm still sore but improving. 100% is never going to happen-lol.  I am slowly returning to my normal but need to get off this bed before it will happen.

Oh my, I must have missed a lot....I must go back and read, I didn't know you had an accident...and Vixmom and her brace....wow, be careful out there and get better EVERYONE!!!

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #156 on: May 26, 2015, 08:58:08 PM »

Watching "Beneath the 12-Mile Reef" on archives.org:

https://archive.org/details/beneath_the_12-mile_reef

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: May 26, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »

Good night.

Jane

« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2015, 09:03:47 PM »

Oh my, I must have missed a lot....I must go back and read, I didn't know you had an accident...and Vixmom and her brace....wow, be careful out there and get better EVERYONE!!!

LOL.  We were rear ended a few nights ago just sitting at a stop light.  It wasn't too hard. Aside from a mild headache Keith was fine.  My already sore body felt it more.  I'm getting better  :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #159 on: May 26, 2015, 09:04:38 PM »

LOL.  We were rear ended a few nights ago just sitting at a stop light.  It wasn't too hard. Aside from a mild headache Keith was fine.  My already sore body felt it more.  I'm getting better  :)
Vibes, I've had that happen twice in my life and it's no fun, I got whiplash both times

Jane

« Reply #160 on: May 26, 2015, 09:06:29 PM »

Changing our prescription insurance from Oregon to Washington was one big pain.  We sat in the car about an hour doing it on the phone.  The only difference between what we had and now have is the state.  What was involved to change was ridiculous.

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #161 on: May 26, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »

Here's a 1940 version of "Lil' Abner" with Buster Keaton, also seems to have Doodles Weaver (Sigourney's uncle I think). The main title song is co-written by among others Milton Berle (?):

https://archive.org/details/lil_abner_ipod
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:11:29 PM by Dan M »

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »

Vixmom....vibes to you, sounds like a workers comp claim to me

Jane

« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2015, 09:08:34 PM »

Thanks Cilla.  I've had it happen so many times I can't remember how many.  I could if I wasn't so tired but I don't want to.  My back & neck hurt some but it has just aggravated what is there, no whiplash fortunately.  I think if I had it I would know by now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2015, 09:08:36 PM »

Vibes to anyone else I have missed wishing vibes to.  Other than painting and workin I don't know exactly what I've been doing.

Jane

« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2015, 09:08:55 PM »

Vixmom....vibes to you, sounds like a workers comp claim to me

I agree.

John G.

« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2015, 09:19:03 PM »

Watching a nice tribute to Cy Coleman. So far, Lucie Arnaz, Neil Simon, Chita Rivera and James Naughton have been on. Really good stuff.

I always wanted a copy of Coleman's record titled something like "Playboy At Night" from the old TV show. I also missed obtaining a copy of what was released from the series. It was the "upscale" show with jazz legends and continued the James Bond type vibe of the era, with lots of Hef's friends as collateral stars on episodes.

I believe a CD version is available on Amazon. I have it on my Wish List.

Thanks John! I found it. That's the one I used to see as an LP when I was in college. There were two really quirky used book stores in the college town. One was in the upper floors of a kind of brown stone building. The guy who ran it had the name Pepper, and he was a shh-quiet-don't talk above a whisper-type. Being college guys, we naturally nicknamed him "Sgt. Pepper". He had the better organized of the two shops. I found lots of good stuff there, and he had a decent LP selection, much more eclectic than could be found at the "record" stores' used sections.

The other used book store was far more jumbled and ragtag. The guy who ran/owned it was a member of the band McKendree Spring. Persistence paid rewards though if you had time enough to search his shelves. The biggest difference was that unlike Sgt. Pepper, this book store had a wide selection of book conditions, from barely held together to barely used. I did find some good stuff here. His prices were good for a college student who made $7/hr. or whatever was the least amount per hour, considering that I worked maybe 10-15 hours a week.

I remember the used record stores and a few used book stores back in college, still the only types of stores I enjoy going to anymore. One was large and had a strange collection of cast albums, which I, of course, bought whenever I could afford one. The other was a hippie/lesbian/book store/record store/head shop/whatever we need to sell to stay afloat kind of place. Never bought a great deal there, but the guy in charge of the record part was named Bear, and we got along well. For some reason, he and my sister got into a violent fight, though I never heard what that was about. Haven't thought about him in more than 30 years. Oy, what the mind will dredge up when it is tired.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2015, 09:20:17 PM »

Many more vibes for DRs Vixmom, Jane, BK, Michael Shayne, TCB and anyone else in need.

Macbook happy vibes for DR Jeanne.

Paint vibes for Cillaliz.

And good night, all.
― Voltaire

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2015, 09:22:47 PM »

Many more vibes for DRs Vixmom, Jane, BK, Michael Shayne, TCB and anyone else in need.

Macbook happy vibes for DR Jeanne.

Paint vibes for Cillaliz.

And good night, all.

Good night and stay dry!

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2015, 09:34:45 PM »

The classic with Pia Zadora and Ned Wertimer (the Jeffersons' doorman), replete with infectious (like a brain virus) theme song by The Gong Show's Milton DeLugg (and the Band with a Thud) and trumpet by Al Hirt:

https://archive.org/details/SantaClausConquerstheMartians1964

(Yes, it is laughably bad, but the director was a veteran of the show "Naked City", and the movie was shot on the site of what is known as Roosevelt Field Mall on Long Island. Many of the "unknown" actors were NY actors, either stage or daytime TV, some had appeared on "Naked City".)

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2015, 09:37:16 PM »

Here's one to make up for the last post. REMBRANDT starring Charles Laughton in a movie by Alexander Korda. Quite a good biopic with a great Laughton performance:

https://archive.org/details/RembrandtVideoQualityUpgrade

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Jane

« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2015, 09:48:24 PM »

Thank you DR John. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2015, 10:33:20 PM »

After tonight's song rehearsal I bopped over to Jerry's Deli and had a turkey sandwich - so two sandwiches in one day and no hint of nausea makes BK a happy boy.

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2015, 10:35:31 PM »

After tonight's song rehearsal I bopped over to Jerry's Deli and had a turkey sandwich - so two sandwiches in one day and no hint of nausea makes BK a happy boy.

Great news! I'm very happy you are feeling better. It's so good to get back to eating normally again.

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Jane

« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2015, 10:36:49 PM »

Bruce, congrats on eating again!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2015, 11:02:08 PM »

Very good news!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2015, 11:32:53 PM »

Here's the best pick me up in the world.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QUCt4t92Zs

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2015, 12:01:45 AM »

Here's the best pick me up in the world.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QUCt4t92Zs

Yup...every single time. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up