Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPARKLE AND FIZZ  (Read 22880 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SPARKLE AND FIZZ
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2005, 04:40:58 PM »

OH!  By the way...

I had the pleasure of playing for DR Anthony today at the auditions.  Nice Irving Berlin number.  And Thank You, DR Anthony, for actually paying attention to the audition notice and bringing in an appropriate song!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2005, 04:41:35 PM »

Oohhh....

And I got to start Page 7!!!!

Do the Jota!
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2005, 04:44:45 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow Dear Readers.  Today I took DR Kerry's DD (Dear Dog) Sugar for a walk:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2005, 04:46:38 PM »

And here is what we saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2005, 04:50:24 PM »

HEALING VIBES

AND

GENTLE HUGS

To DR elmore3003

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2005, 05:10:04 PM »

Dear Readers,

You are all so wonderful and dear!  Thank you for your concern and wishes.  I am so fortunate to have your support and so blessed with such dear friends.  

I got a nice call from Noah Racey this afternoon; he's doing "Once In Love with Amy" for the New York Pops in April, and I'm going to enlarge my WHERE'S CHARLEY? orchestration for him.   It will be fun to get together with him this week.

DRBen and Anthony called tonight to see how I was doing.  We're all excited about the March 19 weekend.  I wish all you DRs were coming into town.  We have to get a count and make a reservation for Joe Allen's.

Dear Friend BK, did you find "Come down from the Tree?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2005, 05:11:25 PM »

GOOD HEALING AND HEALTH VIBES TO DR ELMORE

Ok, what about this, I'm trying size=6....I figure the extra vibes can't hurt!

Cillaliz, when using both Glow and Font Size, the Font Size code has to be inside the Glow code:

QUOTE THIS (or TCB's message) TO SEE THE CODES!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2005, 06:15:33 PM »

elmore - first of all you are getting my strongest vibes and xylophones for your health issues - they WILL be gone.

I can't get over to storage until Wednesday, and then I shall hopefully be able to find it.

Spent a lovely afternoon with Miss Juliana A. Hansen - we lunched, and then I taught her the song she's singing with Mr. Haines, and then I took her back from whence she came.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2005, 06:18:23 PM »

A Small Large Rant

Tomorrow, the Washington State Supreme Court begins hearing arguments on the issue of whether or not banning same sex marriage in this state is Constitutional.  So, naturally there was a great deal of coverage on the local news stations about that this evening.  Now, I must say, all of the local news stations are pretty balanced in their coverage of this issue.  There was coverage of the pro-same sex rally yesterday, followed by coverage of the news conference held today by the anti-same sex group.

Now this is where I get angry.  The “anti” folk (led by former NFL quarterback Jeff Kemp, son of Jack), without exception; limited their comments at this news conferrence to various studies showing that children raised in two-parent (male / female) families were healthier and better adjusted than children raised in “other” types of households.  Now, I would question the male / female label in most of these studies.  In the sutdies that I have seen since going to work for Children's Services over eleven years ago , they usually only compare children raised in one parent households versus those raised in two parent households. However, even if they can back up those studies, I can’t help but question their motives for raising this issue, at this time, other than to sway public opinion.

Now, nowhere in the case being heard by the Supreme Court tomorrow does the issue of raising children enter into the discussion.  There is no subsection that states that two men will now be able to conceive a child without the help of a female’s assistance, or visa versa.  Nor does the case being heard tomorrow have anything to do with same-sex adoption.  Same sex adoption is already legal and fairly common in Washington State.

So, is it possible that these fundamental Christian protesters misunderstood the issue being heard in the courts tomorrow?  Of course not.  They are instead resorting to the same scare-tactics that they always use when approaching the issue of equal rights for homosexuals.  And that is the deep-seated fear, in a majority of heterosexuals in this country, that homosexuals are out to molest and corrupt the children of this nation.  The majority of gays that I know who are in favor of same-sex marriage, have no desire to involve children in the relationship.  Those that are interested in raising children with their partners, are already pursuing that avenue.  What they are really looking for is a sense of legitimacy and legal standing in their community.

The real point here is that the anti-same sex marriage folks don’t have any real reason to deny two men or two women the right to marry, other than the fact that they don’t like it and that they believe it is against their religious principles.  But religion has no place in the discussion of legal rights. Marriage licenses don't take into account relgious principles in any way.  If these Christians don't want gays and lesbians to be married in their churches, fine.  Let these couples get married in a civil service, without benefit of clergy.  But, instead, they twist the whole argument around to one that they know apply leverage with –- the safety of children.

Sorry about this rant, but other than religious grounds, is there any possible reason that I have missed as to why two people of the same sex, should not have equal rights??
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Danise

« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2005, 06:20:33 PM »

elmore - first of all you are getting my strongest vibes and xylophones for your health issues - they WILL be gone.

You said it, BK.  

Health Vibes to DR Elmoore!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2005, 06:21:22 PM »

Please check that Chitty's fuel gauge works OzDerek!

.. no need to tomovoz ...

... because, after all ... my car is definitely truly scrumptious!!!!

;D   ;)
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2005, 06:21:57 PM »

I've heated the pool all day and it's about ninety degrees, so I'm going for a swim right this very minute.

ozderek

• the truth is .... life IS a show tune !!!!
« Reply #192 on: March 07, 2005, 06:24:27 PM »

best wishes for good health to dr elmore.

:)
"She may well pass for forty- three
In the dusk, with a light behind her!"
W S Gilbert "Trial By Jury"

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2005, 06:27:15 PM »

Everyone,  I just got the funniest, rudest email from our beloved starlet and diva, Miss Penny O.  I can't wait for the 19th!  I'm going to watch FAT ACTRESS now, hopefully laugh a lot, and hit the bed in a cheery mood.   Good night, Dear Readers.  I love you all.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2005, 06:27:26 PM »

A Small Large Rant

Tomorrow, the Washington State Supreme Court begins hearing arguments on the issue of whether or not banning same sex marriage in this state is Constitutional.  So, naturally there was a great deal of coverage on the local news stations about that this evening.  Now, I must say, all of the local news stations are pretty balanced in their coverage of this issue.  There was coverage of the pro-same sex rally yesterday, followed by coverage of the news conference held today by the anti-same sex group.

Now this is where I get angry.  The “anti” folk (led by former NFL quarterback Jeff Kemp, son of Jack), without exception; limited their comments at this news conferrence to various studies showing that children raised in two-parent (male / female) families were healthier and better adjusted than children raised in “other” types of households.  Now, I would question the male / female label in most of these studies.  In the sutdies that I have seen since going to work for Children's Services over eleven years ago , they usually only compare children raised in one parent households versus those raised in two parent households. However, even if they can back up those studies, I can’t help but question their motives for raising this issue, at this time, other than to sway public opinion.

Now, nowhere in the case being heard by the Supreme Court tomorrow does the issue of raising children enter into the discussion.  There is no subsection that states that two men will now be able to conceive a child without the help of a female’s assistance, or visa versa.  Nor does the case being heard tomorrow have anything to do with same-sex adoption.  Same sex adoption is already legal and fairly common in Washington State.

So, is it possible that these fundamental Christian protesters misunderstood the issue being heard in the courts tomorrow?  Of course not.  They are instead resorting to the same scare-tactics that they always use when approaching the issue of equal rights for homosexuals.  And that is the deep-seated fear, in a majority of heterosexuals in this country, that homosexuals are out to molest and corrupt the children of this nation.  The majority of gays that I know who are in favor of same-sex marriage, have no desire to involve children in the relationship.  Those that are interested in raising children with their partners, are already pursuing that avenue.  What they are really looking for is a sense of legitimacy and legal standing in their community.

The real point here is that the anti-same sex marriage folks don’t have any real reason to deny two men or two women the right to marry, other than the fact that they don’t like it and that they believe it is against their religious principles.  But religion has no place in the discussion of legal rights. Marriage licenses don't take into account relgious principles in any way.  If these Christians don't want gays and lesbians to be married in their churches, fine.  Let these couples get married in a civil service, without benefit of clergy.  But, instead, they twist the whole argument around to one that they know apply leverage with –- the safety of children.

Sorry about this rant, but other than religious grounds, is there any possible reason that I have missed as to why two people of the same sex, should not have equal rights??

Dear TCB,  Your being to logical and that is the problem.  Those people only see the issue emotionally and can't get past their own preconceived notions of what THEY thinks right for everyone else in the world.  

Besides, we all know that if you marry without benefit of clergy your gonna burn.  Just like Prince Charles and Mrs. Camilla Parker Bowles.   ;)
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #195 on: March 07, 2005, 06:31:19 PM »

Ding!  Times up!  No one even attempted to answer my trivia questions.  How unseemly.

The answers to what does K.I.T.T. and K.A.R.R. mean are:

K night
I ndustries
T wo
T housand

And

K night
A utomated
R oving
R obot

And on that note I bid you a good evening!

:D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 06:32:42 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #196 on: March 07, 2005, 06:42:51 PM »

Good afternoon, fellow Dear Readers.  Today I took DR Kerry's DD (Dear Dog) Sugar for a walk:
It's refreshing to see a new face!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2005, 06:43:26 PM »

I'll have the complete cell phone message story for you in tomorrow's notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2005, 06:45:05 PM »

I got several packages today - including Daydreamer DVD and Tales of the Unexpected Season one and two.  I'm going to watch some of the latter this evening - I'd never even heard of this series, so to find out that it was hosted by Roald Dahl and featured adaptations of many of his great short stories, it became a must-have for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2005, 06:55:28 PM »

Maybe every gay man should marry a straight woman (one each, not the same woman) and produce lots and lots of children.  The entire nation would be so much more tasteful that way.

Uh, right.

:-\

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2005, 06:56:45 PM »

I'm late getting dinner on the table.

Stop salivating, DR Vixmom, it's just hamburgers.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2005, 06:56:57 PM »

Jane wrote:

Just curious if I can get this to show in red and enlarge the size.  I did elmore's about 10 times and it wouldn't work.

Jane, if you haven't figured it out yet, quote this message and you'll see what the codes are supposed to look like.

LOL I know how to do it-IT WOULD NOT WORK!!  ;D And it didn't look right either.

Jane

« Reply #202 on: March 07, 2005, 07:08:09 PM »

Danise, great response to TCB’s rant.

Bruce I look forward to the notes tomorrow.

Jane

« Reply #203 on: March 07, 2005, 07:09:57 PM »

I forgot to mention-cute picture of Sugar.

George

« Reply #204 on: March 07, 2005, 07:13:56 PM »

LOL I know how to do it-IT WOULD NOT WORK!!  ;D And it didn't look right either.

Hmmm. ??? I don't know what could've happened. :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #205 on: March 07, 2005, 07:22:38 PM »

A Small Large Rant
<SNIP>

There is no possible reason that you have missed.  You are absolutely correct in that they are trying to muddy the marriage issue.  And Danise is correct, also.  I think this might have been mentioned before, but if they TRUELY were so concerned about the raising of children in "traditional" families, they wouldn't be fighting to prevent non-hets from getting married, they'd be fighting to their (metaphorical) deaths to make divorce illegal!

And here's my other mini-tongue-in-cheek-rant:  And if "they" (the conservative Christians) were so concerned about children being raised in "non-traditional" families, why aren't they working towards not allowing widows and widowers to keep their children.  They're single parents, too!  I would think that a single person (of any sexual preference) who specifically chooses to be a parent, who prepares financially and emotionally to receive a child has a much better chance at raising that child than a person who has lost a partner to either death or divorce.  That person would be in such emotional upheaval and potential financial turmoil, that it's quite possible that that kind of situation would be much more detrimental to the child's development.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 07:23:24 PM by George »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #206 on: March 07, 2005, 07:38:55 PM »

Now this is where I get angry.  The “anti” folk (led by former NFL quarterback Jeff Kemp, son of Jack), without exception; limited their comments at this news conferrence to various studies showing that children raised in two-parent (male / female) families were healthier and better adjusted than children raised in “other” types of households.  

I get even angrier because their so-called facts are just PLAIN FALSE! (Time to us the B. S. word.)

From APA:

The American Psychological Association in a 1995 Study of Lesbian and Gay Parenting  reported: In summary, there is no evidence to suggest that lesbians and gay men are unfit to be parents or that psychosocial development among children of gay men or lesbians is compromised in any respect relative to that among offspring of heterosexual parents. Not a single study has found children of gay or lesbian parents to be disadvantaged in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents. Indeed, the evidence to date suggests that home environments provided by gay and lesbian parents are as likely as those provided by heterosexual parents to support and enable children's psychosocial growth.

Another informational website reports:

The studies conclude that children of gay or lesbian parents are no different than their counterparts raised by heterosexual parents. In "Children of Lesbian and Gay Parents," a 1992, article in Child Development, Charlotte Patterson states, "Despite dire predictions about children based on well-known theories of psychosocial development, and despite the accumulation of substantial body of research investigating these issues, not a single study has found children of gay or lesbian parents to be disadvantages in any significant respect relative to children of heterosexual parents."

We don't need to prove "better than" to support the argument - "at least as good as" will do just fine.

der Brucer

To win the battle, I am even willing to concede that the traditional man/women family is the "gold standard" for child rearing. (I don't agree; however, it is often a useful concession to get on with the main issues.) All things being equal, which they virtually never are, a child would be better placed in a traditional household; the same argument holds that child should be optimally placed in a same-race household as his/her own. I am the first to admit that given a free and unencumbered choice, I would opt to be straight rather than gay - I mean, who needs the grief!

The misguided-right seems to think that by denying same-sex marriage and/or civil unions that somehow the "problem" will go away -but it won't! It matters not what the law says, S. Woody and I, dedicated partners (obvious to even a casual observer) will show up Little League Games, Boy Scout events, and School Plays to support my grandchildren. I wonder how these folks would like me to present ourselves - as dedicated, caring people, sharing each others lives, or as a queer man with his sex-toy du jour?

CA has had a bizarre situation as regards second party gay adoption. There is no obstacle to a gay man or woman adopting a child- there was, however, a policy preventing the partner of the adopter to co-adopt the others' child! This is just bass ackwards! Gay men and women in a relationship should NOT be permitted to adopt unless the other partner co-adopts  - that what "family" means!

end of my rant
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005, 08:13:18 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: March 07, 2005, 07:47:58 PM »

Good Evening!  Again.

Goooooood Pizza! And a goooooood glass of wine!

;)

...So, now I'm ready to go to bed... Of course, since I only got about four hours of sleep last night, that could also be a factor of my current state of sleepiness.

The auditions went very well today.  New Harmony was auditioning for all three of their shows this summer, so I had a few "breaks" here and there when people were just doing monologues.

In the studio across the hall, Phantom of the Opera was having their required six-month replacement call.  Consequently, the lobby area was packed!  In the morning it was the men, afternoon the women.  Lots and lots of people, with a lot of non-Equity waiting in the outer lobby hoping to be seen.

It was quite interesting listening to the POTO auditions.  16 bars, 30 seconds worth.  The choice of songs ranged from classical to traditional musical theatre to even pop(!) - which is specified NOT to bring in in the audition notice.  The men were bigger culprits then the women.  It seemed that the men thought that a piece was "operatic" if it had a high F in it.  I heard a bunch of "What Is It About Her?"s coming through the air vents.

While passing through the lobby throughout the day, I ran into a bunch of friends and former castmates.  Always very nice.  My friend, Anne Kanengeiser, is currently the stand-by for Maureen McGovern in Little Women, and she's already gone a few times.  And our monitor today turned out to be one of the women from a production of Side By Side By Sondheim I played for many years ago.  And a few other "ghosts" ended up coming in to the audition room throughout the afternoon.

We shall see what "surprises" are in store for me tomorrow.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: March 07, 2005, 07:49:04 PM »

DR elmore - Um... Thanks for the link...Umm...

:-\

OUCH!

Let this be the last time we have to wish you

~~~~GOOD HEALTH VIBES~~~~.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2005, 07:49:37 PM »

SPLENDIFEROUS!