Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: CUT TO THE CHASE  (Read 19999 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:CUT TO THE CHASE
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2005, 09:41:57 AM »

CORPULENT!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2005, 09:43:12 AM »

Holy moley on rye - page four!

That is so CORPULENT!

Well, she of the Evil Eye is here, so I must be on my way before she orbs me.

And don't forget - burgers for one and all and also all and one.  We must get burgerfied.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2005, 09:52:23 AM »

Good Morning!

I, too, have spent a little too much time at the fair this morning...  Well, actually, the Whole Foods at Columbus Circle.

DR MBarnum - Have a great time in Tigard!

DR elmore - I may or may have not seen you today.  ;)

DR PennyO - I will be seeing you in about an hour and a half.

DR Ben - My friend, Nick, will also be at the FORUM call. He's been called back for Hero.  And, yes, Nick, does have very nice legs.  ;)

DR vixmom - Good Good Week Vibes To You! ~~~~~

As for farces - Ditto.  And I did like Ken Ludwig's newest play, LEADING LADIES, when I saw it in Houston.  -And it starred the WSMA, Brent Barrett too!

As for burgers... There's a Wimpy's around the corner...

OK... Time for me to get cleaned up, dash down to the subway, then to the store, then to the subway again, then to rehearsal - and, of course, the C train is not running today, so the whole Express deal is shot.  Ah, well.  Then a quick dinner after rehearsal, then MAMMA MIA!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2005, 09:58:06 AM »

Well I didn't end up getting back until about 2 AM last night and I was too tired to get on the computer and talk so I apologize for my truancy. We picked my mom up from work.

The hospitals are packed. The bigger hospitals are trying to divert patients to the outlying county hospitals which are also full. It's this darn weather making people sick. It's the worst my mom has seen it so we need some good weather and good health vibes for Indiana in general. My mom keeps getting called in early since they are so busy.

As for the TOD, I also really love A Flea in Her Ear. It was done last year here at Ball State and it was one of the funniest plays I have ever been fortunate to see.  The costume changes amazed me several times.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2005, 10:33:11 AM »

Mamma Mia!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2005, 11:21:40 AM »

Slow news day.

Danise

« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2005, 11:23:02 AM »

Hi all.

Thank you DR Kerry for posting about the book signing.  I didn't know we had to RSVP.

I sent an e-mail--I didn't know what to say so I just asked that my name be put on the list for the event.  I hope that was all I needed to say/do.

BTW, Who all is going?  I'm sorry if this was already posted.

I'm sorry if I seem behind on everything.  I've had some major events going on--some of you know what all has happened --and I'm just feeling all mixed up and out of it in general.  Please bear with me.

Drama.  My life just has to much drama.   :-\

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2005, 12:14:06 PM »

Joey thank you for sharing your memories of your grandmother.  

Michael Shayne might you consider another trip to NY in October?

Jennifer I hope you are feeling better today.

MBarnum will you drive to L.A. or fly?

Rodzinski I’m sorry I missed you on TV.  Thankfully Jed is a sports fan.

Tomovoz I will take Kangaroos.   :)

Jane

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2005, 12:26:05 PM »

Vixmom I don’t blame you for ranting, especially about the school situation.  I remember in elementary school Bryan was attacked by four boys because he refused to let them bully the other kids.  The principle didn’t feel it was necessary to call me as there wasn’t much visible damage.  Nor did the principle feel it was necessary to punish the other boys or have them even write an apology.  The thing is Bryan was taking karate at the time and could have done some damage to those boys.  I told the principle I was giving Bryan permission to defend himself if it happened again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2005, 12:31:10 PM »

I'm back and she of the Evil Eye has left the  home environment.  Today I got my baseball signed by the cast of Li'l Abner.  It doesn't say anything about Dodger Stadium (which, as someone pointed out, hadn't been built yet), so it may have come from a Hollywood Stars game at Gilmore Field or from an Angels game somewhere else.  It's got Mammy and Pappy Yokum, Mel Frank, Peter Palmer, Bern Hoffman (Earthquake McGoon), Carmen Alvarez (Moonbeam McSwine), Stubby Kaye, and our beloved Leslie Parrish.  There is also this sig - does anyone know who this person is: From Paul "Pep" (or Pip or Pop) Lee.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2005, 12:31:30 PM »

Sort of hazy and brownish out, but still nice and warm.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2005, 12:33:21 PM »

The pool is almost heated, so I can have a nice swim.

Pages are with Margaret, who won't be able to read them until late tonight, hence I shall not hear about them until the morning.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2005, 12:33:41 PM »

I'd have to include FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM and LEND ME A TENOR to my farce list, as while as ONE, TWO, THREE for film farce.  

I think it may be one of the best film farces.  I don't think farce works particularly well on film.  There is something about the all the door-slamming, close-calls, and double-takes that just looks more astounding on stage...where you the intimacy of the timing is everything.  You always know in film that if they goof up, they can just do it over again...but not on stage.

I've only ever read BLACK COMEDY by Peter Shaffer (my favourite playwright along with Tom Stoppard), but I would love to see it staged sometime.

JRand54,  Cyd was a very lovely lady, who was quite pleasant and professional to work with.  While I wouldn't call her the greatest actress I ever worked with, her part in MOVE OVER, MARKHAM, was the sane one around whom all the madness revolved.  So mostly, she only had to react to all the farceurs around her. (I also played my same part in this show with Yvonne DeCarlo...I preferred Cyd in the role).

Cyd was usually the one who could bail out anyone who went up on their lines...as long as they were standing where they were supposed to be.  If the blocking was off, that's when she would get confused.  Her entire orientation was through choreography and movement.

Some in the cast I think found her a bit cool and distant, but she was always nice to me...in fact, included me in the inner circle whenever she and Tony (Martin) decided to go out after a show, along with the director and his wife (who was also in the show) and the two older leading men she had brought with her, Bill Tregoe, and expert farceur, Peter Pagan (Peter was an Australian who briefly flirted with Australian movie stardom in THE OVERLANDERS and later became a staple on Broadway...he, as Mr. Markham, and I basically stole most of the reviews in the play.  Together we really tore up the stage).  Tony was also very nice.

An example of Cyd's class can be seen in this story:  One of the supporting actresses (who was very good) was bitching (quite unfairly, I might add) about Cyd to her friend at lunch.  What she didn't know was that Cyd was having lunch right behind her and overheard all this.  As far as I know, the actress never found out.  But the director offered to replace her.  Cyd just fluffed it off and refused to have her dismissed, saying:  "I've dealt with these types all my life; it's no big deal."

Jane

« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2005, 12:34:34 PM »

Ann, that was nice the family took you out to dinner.  Won’t you visit them at all?

JRand, next time Penny joins us ask her about Cyd Charisse.

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2005, 12:35:49 PM »

Vixmom I don’t blame you for ranting, especially about the school situation.

...and then there was the truancy letter we received in Rob's senior year.  My DH Richard had to explain to the principal (Rob had 3 in his 4 HS years) that during one of the alleged absences our Eagle Scout was with his physics teacher and several other honor students representing the school in an engineering competition at a local university.  My question was, "Don't they have more important problems to deal with?"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2005, 02:18:27 PM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2005, 12:37:21 PM »

Obviously Cyd Charisse was a woman of class.  I also remember her as being very nice, but reserved.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2005, 12:51:34 PM »

Thank you so much for sharing thoughts on Miss Charisse, DRCP.  That's the kind of story I love to hear!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2005, 12:53:38 PM »

Jane, did you know Cyd?  Reserved is a much more accurate word than aloof or distant.  I think she was probably shy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2005, 12:58:32 PM »

Paul Frees?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2005, 12:59:34 PM »

DRJANE - RODZINSKI is on CBS at 3 pm CST.....he said he would be sitting at the end of the table in a red shirt!  The Washington/Arizona game from Staples Center.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2005, 12:59:36 PM »

CORPULENT!

Speaking of CORPULENT, has anyone eaten a burger yet?  Well, I know Jane hasn't, but she COULD have a veggie burger is she wanted to be sporting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2005, 01:00:09 PM »

Someone let me know if they see the Benjamin Kritzer book on camera.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2005, 01:01:12 PM »

No player named Paul on the '59 Dodgers Roster.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2005, 01:02:44 PM »

Game in less than 2 hours.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2005, 01:03:31 PM »

Paul Frees did a lot of voice overs for Paramount coming attractions and  was a "radio" voice in LA - so he may have announced the cast at the game.

Jane

« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »

I was very, very young and wouldn’t have known who “the lady” was if Penny hadn’t told me years later.  Cyd would sometimes teach my ballet class I took from Nico Charrise.  I wish I could find photos from the recitals I was in.  It would be fun to find out if Penny & I had classes together.  She continued on and I switched to ice skating.

Strange after all these years reserved was the word that came to mind.

Jane

« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2005, 01:15:39 PM »

I could have a veggie burger, even better would be a nut burger on the BBQ, it certainly is warm enough outside.   Instead we are eating leftover cheese enchiladas.  Last night we enjoyed the company of our new neighbors.

Speaking of new neighbors, Charles our mutual friend may begin building her house very soon.  I hope so.  I dread the building of it and the trucks on the road, but I look forward to having such a great neighbor.  :D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2005, 01:20:35 PM »

It's pretty clearly "Lee".  As I said, though, it may not be the Dodgers, it may be the Angels or the Hollywood Stars.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2005, 01:27:23 PM »

A very funny movie(farce) with Jack Lemmon and Ernie Kovacs-OPERATION MADBALL

Jane

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2005, 01:30:13 PM »

DRJANE - RODZINSKI is on CBS at 3 pm CST.....he said he would be sitting at the end of the table in a red shirt!  The Washington/Arizona game from Staples Center.

I think you mean PST.  Thanks for the information.  I have it set to record.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9   Go Up