Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEE BONNIE NOTES  (Read 28660 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re:THE WEE BONNIE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2005, 08:06:23 AM »

Out of the mouths of babes department:

Zach (my 6 year old) after we got in the car last night after the Pajama Game rehearsal:  "Dad, why do they call it Pajama Game when there's no game?"
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2005, 08:08:32 AM »

BK - WORKING COMPUTER VIBES to you - and your PowerBook.

A screeching noise?  Hmm...  Did it sound like it was coming from your CD-ROM drive?  Sometimes the optical drives can get a little crazy.

Hope you got some sleep last night too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2005, 08:11:26 AM »

DR vixmom - I just realized I had read about the resolution to your SUV/telephone pool/front yard incident, but I don't think I ever read exactly what the resolution was. If any.  Hmm...

Guess it's time for me to do a little past posts checking.

*Regardless, did you offer them a gray cargo cover?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2005, 08:11:38 AM »

Let us not forget that LI'L ABNER is also released next week for those who haven't already pre-ordered the title.

Now, Universal, how about FLOWER DRUM SONG?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2005, 08:20:06 AM »

I'm not going to be sleeping much either. I'm up typing a paper. Actually, I'm up writing the paper. At some point tonight, I will type it and then go to sleep.

I just love staying up writing papers. This one isn't even that big a deal, but I'm so good at procrastinating that I saved it until M*A*S*H was over at one in the morning.

This paper is for my Musical Theatre class and it's about the high school musical one of the guys I fence with was in.

I am really looking forward to the much longer and more difficult papers that are coming up very shortly in my other classes.

DR Sandra - I was a major procrastinator when I was in high school when it came to writing papers.  The whole "process" of coming up with an outline and handing it in... Then composing some note cards and handing those in... Then coming up with a resources list and handing that in... Then writing a first draft and handing that in...  Etc., etc., etc.

A paper that I could have easily written in a couple of concentrated hours would get stretched into this multi-week project/ordeal.  It was always very hard for me to keep the momentum going, the train of thought.  There were a few AP English papers I wrote all at once that I would get an "A-" on - with the minus coming from the fact that my preliminary work was not handed in on time.   But the finished paper was good!  So there!

And I remember handing in a paper in my one and only college level English/writing class whose topic was "I'm Not A Procrastinator, I'm Just Efficient" (when it comes to writing assignments).  And I got an "A" on that paper too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2005, 08:31:42 AM »

As for last night's "American Idol"...

Well, since I've missed the past couple of weeks...  (that's my disclaimer)...

To me, it seemed last night's results were truly a reflection of good song choices and bad song choices.  And how familiar most of the "target voters" (25 and under) were/are with those songs.

I bet a bunch of viewers out there were like, "Hall and Oates, who?!?!?"  -Which I think contributed to Scott's placement in the Bottom 3 - in addition to his pitchy performance and "attitude".

Nadia's song really was just a bad choice period.  Too obscure, and nothing exciting and "hook"-y in it.

And "Freebird", which may be a Southern Fried Rock Classic, was already pretty much a cliche shortly after it came out.  It was actually banned from my high school dances starting my junior year.  *It used to be the last song of the evening (for some unknown reason).  And I think the only reference any of "today's audience" would have to it, would be that horrible remix version that came out a couple of years ago.  And I also thought that Bo should have sang more and jumped around less.  -And the orchestral arrangement was kind of generic.

Oh, and I never realized just how low Nadia's range was until last night.  She should have - and probably could have - sang "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" up a few keys.

-And those are my semi-random thoughts on last night's AI.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2005, 08:32:04 AM »

Just remember DRSANDRA - it is much easier to "type" your paper on a computer and print it out than it was back in our Old Days on a real typewriter - manual no less.

MR BK - I hope your computer problems are small ones.  Yes, I have heard that several ISP's are dealing with unusual problems this week.  Perhaps it's because Mercury is in retrograde, or so says Magda the gypsy.

DRJOEY - I am glad your MOM liked the CD and I am awaiting your Good News when it can be spread.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2005, 08:36:32 AM »

DR TOMovOZ you realize of course that Miss Allison Hayes was one of the lovelies in THE PURPLE MASK with Mr Tony Curtis, another of the lovelies.

I must add a vote for the score of THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, and I also like the score and movie THE PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, which I didn't think I would like at all.  

I will also add SON OF FURY, a Tyrone Power film featuring Gene Tierney and Miss Frances Farmer, also with a good score.  THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN and MARK OF ZORRO.  

So many that I loved when I saw them on television!  But I will also add another from DR CP's list:  SCARAMOUCHE with Stewart Granger.  His swordfight with Mel Ferrer was outstanding.  Good score, too!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2005, 08:40:20 AM »

Re: AI

Scott should have gone home.  Anwar should have been in the bottom two.

I'll grant you that some voters may be voting for performance, week to week, without a thought to overall contributions during the competition, but there is a lot of "ballot box stuffing" going on for "favorites", such as with last season's John Stevens.  Scott has a "brigade" who cast hundreds of votes for him, per person.  I'm sure a lot of the others have their contributors, too.

I think the results last night would have been dramatically different were the audience calling in votes to send someone home.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2005, 08:44:50 AM »

Computer is back up and working fine.  I have to say that AppleCare support are the best support team anywhere.  They're calm, and most importantly, they assuage fears and know exactly what they're doing.

He didn't know what the problem stemmed from, but we got in, he had me type a few things, then had me put in the CDRom that has all the system info - we didn't reload anything, but it analyzed and fixed something.  Then we encrypted my wireless device so know one else can use it without a password.  I've saved the most important files onto a zip for now, but I'm probably going to buy an external hard drive today, and my computer guy will set it up so that it's a breeze for me to just back up everything on the computer once every few days.

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2005, 08:52:45 AM »

Glad the computer is up and working BK. I always have such a helpless feeling when it comes to comptuers...speaking of which, we are getting our new computers here at work today and tomorrow! Sleek flat panels!!

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2005, 08:54:18 AM »

You know, the only Zorro movie I have seen is the Italian film BEHIND THE MASK OF ZORRO starring Tony (Wild, Wild, Wild Planet) Russel...I need to see more swashbucklers, I think!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2005, 08:56:05 AM »

RE: American Idol!  Did anyone see The Amazing Race this week?

MBarnum

« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2005, 08:56:36 AM »

RE: American Idol!  Did anyone see The Amazing Race this week?

I did, I did!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2005, 08:57:28 AM »

Vixmom's even if I had had a phone, I did not have BK's number on me.  And if he was lying in a pool of blood somewhere, it was unlikely that he would have been answering anyway...and there would have been nothing I could do.  So...might as well have dinner.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2005, 09:00:32 AM »

For some reason tonight seems to be 3-D night on TCM, although I am sure all the films will be show FLAT, they were all filmed in Third Dimension.

Including:

KISS ME KATE
IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE
SON OF SINBAD
and THE FRENCH LINE....See Jane Russell in 3D!  She'll Knock BOTH Your Eyes Out!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2005, 09:02:30 AM »

There are just five teams left on THE AMAZING RACE.  I know DRJENNIFER doesn't like Lynn & Alex, but I think they are doing okay.  Uchenna & Joyce are my near-favorites right now.  Rob & Amber - are okay, but I really don't want them to win.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2005, 09:04:12 AM »

The only thing of importance when at Musso and Frank is to eat the pounded steak.  Nothing else matters.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2005, 09:06:30 AM »

elmore, how couldI forget ON GUARD, after having mentioned it earlier this week.  The Depardieu CYRANO is terrific.  As is the Derek Jacobi.  PRINCESS BRIDE is great...the book, however, is even better!  

Herrman's score for SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD is a great swashbuckling score, as is Rozsa's for GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2005, 09:06:33 AM »

See what I mean!  :o

« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 09:10:56 AM by JRand54 »

Charles Pogue

« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2005, 09:10:39 AM »

SON OF FURY is quite nice as I remember.  SON OF SINBAD is a lot of tawdry fun...Lili St. Cyr's exotic dance and Vincent Price is hilarious.  I also like Cornel Wilde's OMAR KAYYAM.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2005, 09:10:44 AM »

Vixmom's even if I had had a phone, I did not have BK's number on me.  And if he was lying in a pool of blood somewhere, it was unlikely that he would have been answering anyway...and there would have been nothing I could do.  So...might as well have dinner.

Yup! That's what Mr. Vixmom would have done!   ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2005, 09:11:14 AM »

I like Uchenna and Joyce also, but my top fave's are Meredith and Gretchen...if either of those two teams win I will be happy.

Lynn and Alex are OK, but when one of them called Meredith and Gretchen stupid, it knocked them down a bit on my "like" scale.

I miss the brothers.

Not too fond of Rob and Amber or Ron and Kelly. I wouldn't mind seeing Rob and Amber brought down a few pegs.

Of course I am judging these teams on sentimental value.... :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2005, 09:13:05 AM »

One of the most interesting things I learned about SON OF SINBAD, DRCP, which I plan to watch - Lori Nelson was borrowed by Howard Hughes for a part in the movie and it took so long to film, and Universal was getting so much money for her - Nelson's option was picked up when all the other contract players were let go.  When SINBAD was finally finished and Lori got back to U-I, all of her friends were gone, and at the end of the next six months, she was kicked out as well.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2005, 09:13:14 AM »

Got the first Black Adder DVD from the library today. I shal report back at some point within the next few days on it.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2005, 09:15:00 AM »

DR vixmom - I just realized I had read about the resolution to your SUV/telephone pool/front yard incident, but I don't think I ever read exactly what the resolution was. If any.  Hmm...

Guess it's time for me to do a little past posts checking.

*Regardless, did you offer them a gray cargo cover?

;)

;D

We actually are not yet in resolution mode... we discovered on Tuesday that when the pole crashed it pulled the elcetric meter off the outside wall of the house, which in turn loosened all the sideing on that wall.  Now that Mr. Vixmom  has finally finished the taxes,  I'll be able to post some of the pictures I took of the aftermath.  The damage assessor/repair contractor is scheduled to come by the house on Monday morning.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2005, 09:15:22 AM »

I did, I did!

Me too!  Me too!

And we didn't expect the "twist" of the leg not being over, either!  I like Lynn & Alex, too, though the Dear Partner is pretty much done with them.  I'm rooting for Uchenna & Joyce to win at this point, though.  I am rooting even harder for Romber to lose.

I've never really kept statistics, but have Meredith & Gretchen made it further than any of the other "senior" couples that have been cast?  It seems as if they have, and I say good for them!  (Not rooting for them to win, or anything, but good for them!)

vixmom

« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2005, 09:15:26 AM »

Got the first Black Adder DVD from the library today. I shal report back at some point within the next few days on it.

Which one did you get?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2005, 09:16:36 AM »

I've always been fond of THE BLACK ROSE, though Tyrone Power is somewhat a passive hero lost between the histrionics of Orson Welles' delicious Bayan of the Hundre Eyes and Jack Hawkins who carries most of the swashbuckling with his yew bow.  And then there is, of course, Alfonso Beydoya playing a wily Arab:  "You are very lucky to have made my acquaintance."

vixmom

« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2005, 09:17:13 AM »

Out of the mouths of babes department:

Zach (my 6 year old) after we got in the car last night after the Pajama Game rehearsal:  "Dad, why do they call it Pajama Game when there's no game?"

;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up