Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: MIXMASTER  (Read 20713 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MIXMASTER
« on: May 09, 2005, 12:17:57 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've mixed with the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the mixed-up cows come home.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 11:58:57 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MIXMASTER
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 12:20:24 AM »

And the word of the day is: VOLUMINOUS!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 12:30:17 AM »

You want to talk about scary???

I just watched Julia Child talking about knives!!!

Visions of Dan Ackroyd danced through my head!!!

:o :o :o

;D ;D ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 12:32:07 AM »

"A Pretty Girl" is like a volumnious curtain and a circular staircase.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 12:34:11 AM »

I LOVE that Dan/Julia skit from SNL!!

As for books, I love Stephen King's writing style.  His descriptions are a lot of fun to read...even when he's writing scary stuff and I really like both his novels and short stories.  I haven't much scary stuff by anyone other than Stephen King and it's been several years since I've read any of his stuff, at all.  I don't know why, but I just haven't.  Weird, huh? :-\
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 12:44:09 AM »

I also enjoyed Mr. Richard Matheson's Hell House.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 12:44:56 AM »

Favourite Scary books:  A series of six books by Michael MacDowell called BLACK WATER.  Set in Alabama, they comprise a long saga steeped in the Southern Gothic tradition.  Very creepy, done with great restraint and style.

Manly Wade Wellman wrote a series of short stories about a balladeer roaming through the Appalachian Mountains called John the Balladeer (or sometimes Silver John...because of the silver strings on his guitar) who encounters all sorts of supernatural occurences.  Great stuff!  There are several collections of Wellman and Silver John one called Who Fears the Devil? and The Several are in a collection of Worse Things Waiting.  In the late seventies or early eighties, he wrote several short novels about John as well.

I'm very fond of the stories by Seabury Quinn of Jules De Grandin, a French occult detective, and his Watson, Dr. Trowbridge, where they investigate supernatural doings.  They originally appeared in Weird Tales Magazine in the thirties and forties many were collected in a series of paperbacks from the seventies.  I believe all ninety stories have now been collected
in on volume (which I must get).

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 01:22:04 AM »

IMHO Mr Clive Barker has no peer as writer of imaginative horror stories. The Books of Blood are "terrific" and novels such as "Weaveworld" and "Imagica" are worthy of being regarded as classics.  Mr Barker as the gift of language as well as a gift for story telling.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ginny

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 04:04:15 AM »

Good morning, DR elmore!  Have you received a package from me recently?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 04:17:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  Yesterday was quite a good work day, and I finished all the big work on Anna's act.  The remainder of the work now is filling in some trumpet on trombone on her other charts.  It will take most of the week and weekend to finish up.

Jim Goetz, an old friend of DRGinny's and mine is in town for business so I'll see him tonight for dinner, after I leave my GOLDEN APPLE work at Tams-Witmark.  I hope by tonight the bank account problem will be settled and I'll either have money in my account or know what happened to it.

TOD:  I used to read tons of story collections and, after Stephen King's DANCE MACABRE was published, tried to read all the books he recommended that I didn't know.  I'm appalled at my short memory these days that I cannot think of a single story by Robert Bloch or Ray Bradbury, both of whom terrified me in high school and college reading days.  The few things below obviously stuck because they still rattle me.
   Stories:  "Pigeons from Hell"
               "The Wendigo"
               "Whistle and I'll come to You, My Lad"

Novels:  THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE
               THE OTHER
               HARVEST HOME
               THE SHINING
               'SALEM'S LOT
               DRACULA
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 04:22:13 AM »

DR elmore, before I leave for my early meeting in Cincinnati, I wanted to tell you to have a lovely time tonight with Jim and please tell him HELLO from me!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 04:22:38 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 04:55:51 AM »

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday (or much on Saturday). In response to Tom (ov Oz) from Saturday, I adore Noel Coward, both his music and plays. I did Hay Fever (far too many years ago) and have very fond memories of that production. My favorite lines were from Judith to her son, Simon (my role), something to the effect of Judith saying "Simon, you look so dirty, what have you been doing?" "Simon: Not washing very much"

Never read a Zane Grey book in my life (I'm not a big fan of Westerns).

Thanks much to Larry and Tom for making the trek from the Upper West Side to the Upper East Side to see Anthony's show. A grand time was had by all. On the 14th, in addition to Vimom and Company, Anthony's parents and one set of aunt/uncle will be there so it will again be a friendly audience.

I am now off to the Rockefeller Foundation (in printout form). I will listen to Donald's new Radio Show as I index.

This post brought to you by the new Millennium  ;) (of course that's all dependent on when you count the beginning of the new millennium, some say 2000 and some say 2001 and others say it doesn't matter)

TTFN
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 04:57:44 AM by Ben »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 05:04:51 AM »

Well, the missing deposit landed this morning!  I really thought it was lost forever, so it's quite a relief to know I'm not a victim of identity theft (who would want this identity? Really?) or some hacker.

DRGinny, I will indeed tell Jim hello.

If anyone in the New York vicinity is looking for a pleasnt, not expensive, evening out in Manhattan, I can do no more than to recommend Mr Anthony Morelli's music hall show "A Little of What You Fancy."  You'll have a good time.

Wishing you all a pleasant day, I'm off to the wilds of midtown.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 05:11:05 AM »

Roal Dahl's short stories not really horror but still great writing.

Stephen King also published a collection of short stories he wrote called Night Shift. Some of them were really creepy!

I stopped reading King after The Stand, but I will say that I though that The Shining was his best up to that time and one of the best I ever read.

The Other by Tom Tyron was also a great read.
Never stop dreaming.

Kerry

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2005, 05:39:16 AM »

One of the scariest stories I ever read was by Stanley Ellin.  As soon as I think of the name of the story or the book, I'll let you know.  It is like a very good episode of "Twilight Zone" or "Alfred Hitchcock" in that it seems so real and so possible.  that's the scariest part, I think.

Stephen King's "Misery" drove me crazy.  Very well written.  I'd never read it again, but it's very good.

Speaking of Tom Tryon, one of the episodes in "Crowned Heads" (based loosely on Raymond Navarro mixed with a few other people) was certainly terrifying.  It sets up a mood that is very eerie and almost sufficating.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 05:44:33 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2005, 06:18:29 AM »

Great news, Elmore! I know that is a huge load off your mind.

And thanks for the OllieBurger recipe, SWoody!

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2005, 06:28:54 AM »

Good morning peoples.  I still haven't gotten my Peter Pan pictures into my computer, but I received a link form Peter Pan  him(her)self with various pictures from the show, backstage and at the partay Saturday night  for those so inclined to have a look here is the link http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=338409586&key=kcQZSe
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2005, 06:38:28 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~EASY TEST VIBES~~~[/move]for DR Sandra

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2005, 06:39:23 AM »

I have not read many scary stories, but I seem to recall PET SEMATARY to be a rather spooky book.

vixmom

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2005, 06:41:12 AM »

Glad to hear that your payroll arrived elmore.. I had that happen once, my direct deposit went into someone else's account, it was a nightmare to correct because the other person took the money out of their account... I didn't want to mention it until you r matter was straightened out because I didn't need to cause you any more worry... glad it was resolved quickly and easily

vixmom

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2005, 06:44:06 AM »

The first part of The Stand really freaked me out, particularly as I chose to read it during a terrible flu epidemic one January 20 odd years ago.... the second part lost me though

Pet Sematary and Salem's Lot also scared me

I just realized I haven't read any Stephen King stuff in about 20 years.....

vixmom

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2005, 06:48:03 AM »

True Life Horror stories,  In Cold Blood and Helter Skelter both of which I read in high school terrified me

vixmom

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2005, 06:50:28 AM »

I think the scariest stories I ever read were Poe's "The Premature Burial"  and "The Cask Of Amontillado"

vixmom

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2005, 06:54:10 AM »

That Ollieburger receipe sounds good... I shall have to give that a try once we get the grill up and running for the season.  I can't abide burgers cooked in the house.. they never seem to taste the same and they leave the house spelling like grease for days afterwards

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2005, 07:00:41 AM »

DR VIXMOM thanks for the picture link.  What a lot of fun it looks like everyone is having!

I don't think I have ever seen a Peter Pan costume in quite that shade of green - but it is very imaginative!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2005, 07:01:42 AM »

I may have missed something in the voluminous notes yesterday, but did I read that DRMBARNUM'S brother is in a show?  And a picture was shown?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2005, 07:02:07 AM »

DR CP - if June Wilkinson was wearing green cowboy boots, I am not sure I would have even noticed.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2005, 07:03:02 AM »

returning to the last topic but one...

Best Looking Nazi:

I am looking forward to seeing John Barrowman as a Hitler Youth in the upcoming Mel Brooks movie of the Mel Brooks musical of the Mel Brooks movie Prodyusery.  (and it also wrote entire music and songs to the picture (here already truly - man of many-sided talents),!)
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2005, 07:06:15 AM »

Scary books & stories......

Another vote for Tom Tryon's THE OTHER.  

A vote for Ray Bradbury's SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES

A vote for Robert Louis Stevenson's DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE

A vote for Edgar Allan Poe's PIT AND THE PENDULUM

And a VERY big vote for the scariest story I ever read....it is a short story in Bradbury's collection DANDELION WINE about a group of older ladies who go out to a movie.....even though a strangler has been preying on women in the town....and the lady who lives the furthest from the center of town....has to walk to last of her way home.....through a ravine....by the powerhouse....in the dark....all by herself.....  She arrives home at last.....safely locking the door....except that.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2005, 07:09:07 AM »

Another memory of Jack Salvatore's of working on COUNTERPLOT:

We didn't really have any pre-shoot rehearsal time, so the first time I met Allison is actually the first scene we're together in the film. It's a scene in which Connie Lane---the framed-for-murder hero's girlfriend---arrives in Puerto Rico, where she's heard he's hiding out from the police.

It takes place on a dock in San Juan harbor....and her costume is the one you see in that lobby card---suit with pillbox hat and light veil. Granted, I was only 12 years old or so, but a guy knows beautiful when he sees it...and that, she was. A stunner.

At my height, she seemed to be well, 50 feet tall (pun intended), and her obvious attributes were not to be denied, even under a fairly austerely tailored suit.  We worked the scene a few times together, and she was very sweet to me...not a diva, not a primadonna....just two working actors, one trying to bring the other, younger one, along.

There's a scene to which you allude...in which Connie is singing in a nightclub. Late in the movie, the two characters---Connie and Manuel, the kid---realize that while they've been at loggerheads over who loves Forrest Tucker more, they do both love him. While she's singing with the band, Manuel---who's just found out the hero's fled again and they've BOTH lost him--- charges up the aisle of the club to Connie and they embrace.

The script actually says something like "Connie presses Manuel to her bosom"...and I remember being a little worried about how that would go, because her wardrobe for the scene was a black velvet sheath with a daring decolletage. The crew--mostly young Puerto Rican guys---were teasing me mercilessly about being careful not to get too...uh...aroused by getting that up-close & personal.

I remember that we were getting ready to block the scene on set. Even Kurt Neumann, the director, had gotten on the teasing bandwagon, making sure I knew exactly what "business" the script called for. Allison was smiling through it all...and all I remember saying to her, before I ran up to her was: "Don't mess up my makeup."  Broke up the set...including Allison...she got it....and made sure to make all those crew guys as jealous as possible, by making sure the script was followed to the letter...and then some.

I saw Allison several times off set. She was staying at the Caribe Hilton, and I spent a lot of time swimming and dining there. I really had no idea of her career...nor she of mine...but she was always pleasant and nice to me...and treated me as a relative equal, within the limitations of my age.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up