Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT A STRANGE DAY WAS YESTERDAY  (Read 19114 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:WHAT A STRANGE DAY WAS YESTERDAY
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2005, 06:30:31 AM »

I've been to the post office, and now I'm off for the day.  It occurred to me that I don't recall that anyone mentioned what may be the greatest historical novel ever:  WAR AND PEACE.

And on that . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2005, 06:40:50 AM »

I've been to the post office, and now I'm off for the day.  It occurred to me that I don't recall that anyone mentioned what may be the greatest historical novel ever:  WAR AND PEACE.

And on that . . .

never read it, I've seen Woody Allens Love and Death  tho'  ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2005, 06:45:54 AM »

Happy Birthday to La Jolie Femme.

Still listening to AOLRadio at the office. Not sure what is in the VCR, besides a tape that got stuck.

DRMBarnum:  What, no Bollywood extravaganza lined up for weekend viewing?

Confidential Note to DR Jose:  Does Mr. Ashling fit in a suitcase?  I would certainly take him everywhere I could.....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2005, 06:46:04 AM »

I've had a most interesting morning already.

A friend of mine gave me the titles of some STAR TREK (original series) episodes which I had and hadn't watched but which he thought I should see. #1 on his list for me to watch was "Who Mourns for Adonis?" so this morning, before I did anything else, I put it on.

He recommended it because he knew I'd like the beefcake that is Michael Forest playing the god Apollo in the episode, but lo and behold, there was Miss Leslie Parrish playing the object of his lust. I had NO IDEA she was in this episode, so you can imagine how surprised I was when she showed up (James Doohan's Scotty also had the hots for Ms. Parrish.)

It was a very enjoyable episode. Glad I took time out from my usual morning schedule to watch it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2005, 06:53:02 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - BRIGADOON (studio cast with Shirley Jones/Jack Cassidy)

DVD - SHARK TALE (if a friend comes over tonight to watch a movie)
          TWISTER
          ANGEL - Season 2, disc 3

DVR - DEADWOOD
          last week's NUMBERS
          last night's JOEY
          last night's CSI
          last night's WITHOUT A TRACE
          the making of THE THIRD MAN

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2005, 06:53:15 AM »

Happy Birthday to La Femme Jolie

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 06:56:48 AM »

With no rehearsal for me tonight (another night for just the Cagelles), I have a feeling my TV will be running into overtime today with everything I've got saved up to watch.

But I'll make time to pop in and out during the day.

MBarnum

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2005, 07:03:53 AM »

MattH, did you catch THE RUNAWAY BUS on TCM that other night? It starred Margaret Rutherford...what a hoot! It was actually a mystery, but Margaret was in great comedic form!

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2005, 07:05:16 AM »

MattH, I interviewed Michael Forest about a month ago! Nice guy!

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2005, 07:06:41 AM »

DR Stuart, no doubt there will be at least one Bollywood viewing this weekend...just don't know which one yet (since I have a good 50 or so sitting there waiting to be watched! LOL!).

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2005, 07:07:20 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR LaJolieFemme!!!

Gateaux for everyone!

...avec Graeter's French Pot Ice Cream (from DR Charles Pogue's Cincinnati).  Happiest of birthdays, Julieanne!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 07:13:06 AM »

Friday media report:

CD (car) - Boston Pops' My Favorite Things: A Richard Rodgers Celebration.  My mother developed a huge crush on Keith Lockhart in her late 70's.  Several years ago we saw him conduct the Pops at Dayton's Fraze Pavillion on a beautiful summer evening.

DVD - Ray, which will complete DH Richard's and my viewing of all 5 Best Picture Academy Award nominees for this year.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2005, 07:15:21 AM »

Happy Birthday to La Jolie Femme!

The only Julieanne song I know I learned from the New Christy Minstrels:

Have you seen her in the moonlight
Silver rings upon her hands
Now she wears a crown of sorrow (I hope not if it's her birthday)
And her name
AND HER NAME
Is Julieanne....

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2005, 07:21:50 AM »

[move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]******BONNE ANNIVERSAIRE A LA JOLIE FAME******[/move]

NOW GET THEE INTO THE CHAT ROOM FORTHWITH!

Ever since you posted the large version of your new avatar, I have been in love.  I log on every day in search of said avatar, only to be repeatedly disappoointed.  Ah me!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2005, 07:25:57 AM »

MattH, did you catch THE RUNAWAY BUS on TCM that other night? It starred Margaret Rutherford...what a hoot! It was actually a mystery, but Margaret was in great comedic form!

No I didn't, and I wanted to. I'll catch a rerun at some point, but thanks for the alert.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2005, 07:27:28 AM »

MattH, I interviewed Michael Forest about a month ago! Nice guy!

Of course, I had seen him in lots of shows, but never knew what a marvelous body he was hiding under his clothes. And he was very effective, very moving actually in needing to be loved and worshipped. I really liked his work in this episode.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2005, 07:34:34 AM »

...There's also a book by Amy Tan that isn't strictly historical, it bounces back and forth between the present and about 100 years earlier,  The Hundred Secret Senses
I thought The Hundred Secret Senses was about a private firm that did nose counts.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2005, 07:43:47 AM »

I've had a most interesting morning already.

A friend of mine gave me the titles of some STAR TREK (original series) episodes which I had and hadn't watched but which he thought I should see. #1 on his list for me to watch was "Who Mourns for Adonis?" so this morning, before I did anything else, I put it on.

He recommended it because he knew I'd like the beefcake that is Michael Forest playing the god Apollo in the episode, but lo and behold, there was Miss Leslie Parrish playing the object of his lust. I had NO IDEA she was in this episode, so you can imagine how surprised I was when she showed up (James Doohan's Scotty also had the hots for Ms. Parrish.)

It was a very enjoyable episode. Glad I took time out from my usual morning schedule to watch it.
Same episode was on Sci-Fi Channel this morning.  

The story is that Ms. Parrish's costume, which included a swath of sheer fabric covering her...uh...covering her lovely front, was held on in front by the power of gravity.  They were planning to tape it securely, but she had no need for the tape.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2005, 07:49:30 AM »

Not much in the media report.

DVD: The French Chef with Julia Child.  

Car CD Player: A Year With Frog and Toad.

And there's nothing new coming in for a while.

Boring.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2005, 07:55:47 AM »

So, everyone had vamoosed by nine last night.

That's nine, PST.

EST, that's midnight.

Yep, I was in bed by that hour.  I'd say I was sick as a dog, but the dogs were all doing fine.  I just had a terrible case of gas.

:P  Literally.

Go ahead, bitchslap me, I can take it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2005, 08:04:57 AM »

Der Brucer found this story via the Houston Chronicle

Some parents and students complained after a substitute biology teacher at Gunnison Valley High School took eight girls, ages 16 and 17, to a local veterinary clinic Tuesday to watch...

Isn't this wonderful?  Doesn't this make you feel proud to be a human?

:P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2005, 08:09:40 AM »

On a happier note, today is National Apple Pie Day.

And on this day in 1958, Velcro was trademarked.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2005, 08:10:16 AM »

Of course, I had seen him in lots of shows, but never knew what a marvelous body he was hiding under his clothes. And he was very effective, very moving actually in needing to be loved and worshipped. I really liked his work in this episode.

Ya, well, you should see him in VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT or BEAST FROM HAUNTED CAVE! LOL!

By the way, Forest was in a somewhat Gay themed movie called DEATHWATCH back in the 60s which he is very proud of....although said film is hard to come by.

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2005, 08:19:50 AM »

White House looks at why Bush not told of alert sooner
President didn't know for almost an hour that plane was in no-fly zone
By STEWART M. POWELL

"The president was never considered to be in any danger, and protocols that were put in place after Sept. 11 were followed."
-- Scott McClellan, White House press secretary  
WASHINGTON - The White House launched an investigation Thursday into the 47-minute delay in notifying President Bush about the intrusion of a single-engine aircraft into restricted airspace over the nation's capital that provoked emergency evacuations.

The violation of the no-fly zone Wednesday led more than 30,000 people to quickly leave the White House complex, the Capitol and the Supreme Court and triggered an eight-minute "red alert" at the White House.

At the time, Bush was riding a bicycle at a wildlife center in suburban Maryland and wasn't told of the alert until after he had completed his ride at 12:50 p.m., 47 minutes after the "red alert" was issued and 36 minutes after an all-clear.

Vice President Dick Cheney, first lady Laura Bush and visiting former first lady Nancy Reagan were among those evacuated from the White House complex during the alert.

White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan said Thursday that White House Deputy Chief of Staff Joe Hagin and the U.S. Secret Service would review Wednesday's aircraft incident, the response and the failure to notify the commander in chief during his bike ride.

McClellan said Secret Service agents accompanying Bush to the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center in Beltsville, Md., and the uniformed military aide who accompanies the president with the nuclear warfare launch codes were in touch with authorities at the White House during the scare.

The alert was triggered when a Cessna airplane flying from Pennsylvania to North Carolina penetrated the no-fly zone around the nation's capital where small aircraft have been barred since the Sept. 11 attacks.

But McClellan said none of the staffers interrupted the president's bike ride to notify him that the White House had been put on the nation's highest level of threat alert.

"Any time there is a situation like this, there is going to be a review undertaken," McClellan said. "It will be thoroughly reviewed, and if there are any improvements that need to be made, they will be made."

Seventy minutes elapsed between when Federal Aviation Administration radar began tracking the unidentified plane at 11:28 a.m. Wednesday and the time that the incident ended.

McClellan defended Secret Service agents' decision not to advise the president.

"The president was never considered to be in any danger, and protocols that were put in place after Sept. 11 were followed," he said.

The episode recalled a controversial delay Sept. 11, 2001, when Bush remained in a Florida elementary-school classroom for seven minutes after being told by White House Chief of Staff Andrew Card that a second airliner had crashed into the World Trade Center.

From the same paper SWW  linked to :

This looks great to the rest of the world, 9/11 he's reading a story book, this time he's out riding his bike.. can't they just say he was out of the White House studying the environment, or promoting physical fitness  

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2005, 08:26:14 AM »

Forgive me for being E & T the past few days, but I have been down with a case of the stomach flu (I guess).  At least, that was what the doctor's office said I probably have / had, as they determined by phone line only.  It seems a bit late in the season for the flu, but the only other option was morning sickness, so I opted for the flu.  I am feeling a little better this morning, but a little weaker from the experience.

Sorry to read that the late night activities have slowed considerably here at HHW.  I guess SWW and I will have to take part of the blame, since we were in bed – separately.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR / DPE-LS JULIEANNE![/move]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 08:27:16 AM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

vixmom

« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2005, 08:38:21 AM »

Forgive me for being E & T the past few days, but I have been down with a case of the stomach flu (I guess).  At least, that was what the doctor's office said I probably have / had, as they determined by phone line only.  It seems a bit late in the season for the flu, but the only other option was morning sickness, so I opted for the flu.  I am feeling a little better this morning, but a little weaker from the experience.

Perhaps food poisoning?  I am glad you feeling better.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~VIBES FOR BETTER HEALTH~~~[/move]

Sorry to read that the late night activities have slowed considerably here at HHW.  I guess SWW and I will have to take part of the blame, since we were in bed –

:o

separately.

nevermind  

« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 08:40:03 AM by vixmom »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: May 13, 2005, 08:41:55 AM »

Yesterday (late last night), BK wrote

So, let me get this straight - both George and Jed were here.  I reopened the room for them and then they read and LEFT without POSTING???

In my defense (slim as it may be), I logged on and it was all locked up.  You did not indicate that if people showed up that you would re-open.  I could only assume that it was a done deal and had no clew that you would open it again.  So, wanting to get to work early again today (which I did, 7:15 a.m.!), I went to bed.  Now I'm here, posting my explanation.  Let me also say:

A Very Happy Birthday to La Jolie Femme, otherwise known as Pogue’s ever-lovin’ Julieanne!

And in my CD player:  Miss Gulch Returns:  The Wicked Musical.  This is actually a cabaret act written and performed by Fred Barton, accompanist to the early Forbidden Broadway series.  I just got it yesterday and have listened to it.  It's quite funny!  After that will be the 2-CD special edition soundtrack to "Mary Poppins."  

In my DVD player:  nothing...yet

In my VCR:  nothing...yet
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 08:44:09 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #57 on: May 13, 2005, 08:42:31 AM »

Happy birthday, Dear Reader La Jolie Femme, also known as Dear Reader Pogue's ever-loving Julieanne!!

I am very sorry for being errant and truant yesterday, BK, but I was attending to some VERY important business: the post-semester coma. I had worked myself stupid on that IAAAAWWOTD paper and just needed to crash on my futon and not move for a day or so.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2005, 08:43:43 AM »

DR George: You've got mail (in your e-mail box, not your pm box here at HHW)

Got it...them. ;D THANK YOU!! :-*
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #59 on: May 13, 2005, 08:47:41 AM »

Congratulations to the Vixter on her almost-perfect score!

I woke up at some point yesterday and my brother and I went to the grocery store. Grocery shopping with him is a lot of fun. We never get a cart or a basket, and his rule is "Whatever you can carry, you can have." By the time we got to the check-out counter, I was carrying my own weight in Krispy Kreme doughnuts and Sara Lee cheesecake. I am now having a nice healthy breakfast of two Krispy Kremes and a Cherry Coke.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up