Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CONDIMENTS AND GARNISHES  (Read 20344 times)

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
Re:CONDIMENTS AND GARNISHES
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2005, 11:13:12 AM »

And the Washington Post Magazine has a couple of articles this week that truly had me laughing out loud...  So... If you happen to need some more reading material....http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/10/AR2005051001262.html

That's well said. To me, it's like people who get excited when the Platters come to town when really it's like one of the original Platters' grandsons and a bunch of new "Platters". People go to the show and suspend their disbelief and convince themselves that what they're seeing actually has some connection to the Platters. People wanted STAR WARS movies so badly, they are convincing themselves that these recent movies have any connection to the original three.

But if one is completely honest, the heinous Jar Jar is really just an extension of the heinous Ewoks who Lucas admitted he added because he thought they'd make great plush toys.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2005, 11:14:59 AM »

And finally... Someone not afraid to tell the truth!!  ;)

Founding Fictions
Have you heard the one about Thomas Jefferson?
By Joel Achenbach

Sunday, May 15, 2005; Page W10

Book talk at Ladies Auxiliary Historical Society of Pokeweed County (transcript):

Thank you, Betty--Bobbi, excuse me--for that very generous introduction. It's a great honor to be here. I had a lovely drive out here and got to see so many trees and fields and, of course, your really remarkable strip mine. Now that is what I call a hole! In the best sense of the word. In any case, I'm thrilled to be here and to have this opportunity to speak to the four of you.

Now, you may ask, why did I title my book Unfounded Courage? Because it was time for the American people to read the unvarnished, unromanticized, unsubstantiated story of the men who established this nation, a tale that reveals not only their quirks, eccentricities and, dare one say, perversions, but also echoes the titles of books that have sold millions of copies already.

Countless biographies of the Founders are already out there, telling you about Washington's bravery, Jefferson's genius, Franklin's inventiveness and so on. But I can say with confidence that mine is the only book in which Jefferson is eaten by a shark.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/10/AR2005051001260.html
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2005, 11:16:59 AM »

Here is a Sunday topic:

What are your 3 top favorite movies studios. The studios that made the films you are most fond of, that give you that warm, comfy feeling.

Mine are:

UNIVERSAL (later known as UNIVERSAL-INTERNATIONAL). This studio made many of my favorite horror, sci-fi, westerns, and dramas...and had a wonderful stable of players in the 30s, 40s, and 50s people like Allison Hayes, William Reynolds, Rex Reason, Anne Gwynne, Evelyn Ankers, Keith Andes, Donald Cook, Lori Nelson, Gregg Palmer, Race Gentry, Audie Murphy, Mamie Van Doren, Rock Hudson and on and on.

A.I.P. (American International Pictures). In the 1950s they were responsible for ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE, REFORM SCHOOL GIRL, EARTH VS. THE SPIDER, GHOST OF DRAGSTRIP HOLLOW, THE UNDEAD, GUNSLINGER, SORORITY GIRL, VIKING WOMEN AND THE SEA SERPENT and many more of my favorites. And of course they employed both Allison Hayes and June Kenney!

ALLIED ARTISTS. Allison and June seemed to divide there time between Allied Artists and AIP in the late 50s and this studio brought forth such classics as HOT CAR GIRL, THE DISEMBODIED, FROM HELL IT CAME, THE OKLAHOMAN, TEENAGE DOLL, The Bomba films, The Bowery Boys films, etc.

Runners up would be Columbia Pictures, United Artists, and Toho Studios.

WHAT?!?!?!  No Bollywood Studio on that list?!?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2005, 11:19:48 AM »

Here is a Sunday topic:

What are your 3 top favorite movies studios. The studios that made the films you are most fond of, that give you that warm, comfy feeling.

Falcon
Catalina
All Worlds

:o

::)

;D

:-X
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2005, 11:21:47 AM »

-That was especially for you DR TCB... and DR elmore... and DR td...  etc., etc., etc...
;D

And DR Michael Shayne - Just in case... I don't think we need to see any box covers posted from the companies listed above.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2005, 11:24:28 AM »

FUEL OIL HUNK ALERT!

I haven't caught up on yesterday's posts, nor yet read today's, but I wanted to alert all and sun-dried to the fact that our fuel oil man (owns his own company, actually) will finally be on Extreme Makeover:  Home Edition tonight on ABC.

Newsday has an article on it with photos and video, but I didn't catch Kenny in any of them.  I hope we get to see Ty hanging off his machine, because they say there were over 400 paid and volunteer workers.

"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2005, 11:24:36 AM »

Danise, scans of the TV cover and article would be  nice.  

Garnishes and condiments:

Ketchup for hamburgers and meatloaf.  Mustard...Guldens's brown mustard, please...for hot dogs and sausages.  I do not understand how anyone can put ketchup on hot dogs or sausages.  It just doesn't work.  Either mustard (brown always) or mayo on lunch meats and ham.

Sweet gherkins, the world's greatest pickles!

Onions on everything, in everything.  I love 'em.  A good thick slice of onion on a burger is God's gift.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2005, 11:30:17 AM »

Here is Kenny looking somewhat less passionate.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2005, 11:31:57 AM »

Falcon
Catalina
All Worlds

:o

::)

;D

:-X
I hope you're planning on returning those videotapes to Elmore soon...
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2005, 11:33:37 AM »

-That was especially for you DR TCB... and DR elmore... and DR td...  etc., etc., etc...
;D

And DR Michael Shayne - Just in case... I don't think we need to see any box covers posted from the companies listed above.  ;)

Of course you don't think so, Jose, becasue you probably have all the covers in your collection (along with the films)!  However, I do appreciate the thought.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2005, 11:34:41 AM »

DR Jose  :o

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2005, 11:39:23 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  I went back to bed at eight and fell right asleep.

The sparkling prizes will go out upon my return from New York.   I'm still gathering them.

Speaking of fuel oil hunks, here's another thing that the hip young fundraiser told me about current trends.  His most successful fundraiser has been auctioning off young hunk firemen.  Apparently, the bidding gets quite fierce because apparently young girls, whether they have boyfriends or husbands, throw aside their morals and inhibitions when it comes to these young hunky firemen, who, the young hip fundraiser tells me, "put out" on the dates with the winners.  Firemen have become the new sex symbol to young women, and they crave them and go after them with a fervor.  It's just another reason to know that the trendy young people continue to pust the world to new lows.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2005, 11:44:13 AM »

I hope you're planning on returning those videotapes to Elmore soon...

Actually, I'm waiting to get them back from him.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2005, 11:48:08 AM »

Firemen have become the new sex symbol to young women, and they crave them and go after them with a fervor.  

What has taken young women so long to realize! I think a few DRs here would agree that firemen have been sex symbols for a long, long time! LOL!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2005, 11:48:25 AM »

DR Jose  :o

I know, I know...  I'm still amazed you didn't list a Bollywood Studio in your top three.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2005, 11:52:20 AM »

Speaking of fuel oil hunks, here's another thing that the hip young fundraiser told me about current trends.  His most successful fundraiser has been auctioning off young hunk firemen.  Apparently, the bidding gets quite fierce because apparently young girls, whether they have boyfriends or husbands, throw aside their morals and inhibitions when it comes to these young hunky firemen, who, the young hip fundraiser tells me, "put out" on the dates with the winners.  Firemen have become the new sex symbol to young women, and they crave them and go after them with a fervor.  It's just another reason to know that the trendy young people continue to pust the world to new lows.

Well, Bachelor Auctions - Firemen, Businessmen, Baseball Players, Policemen, etc... - have been around for a while.  As for Firemen, in particular, their popularity re-peaked after 9/11 - even the NYFD put out their own calendar - and still do.  And remember that semi-scandalous "Sex & The City" episode?

Now, as for the men "putting out".... Hmmm...  Well, that's a totally different matter.  Between two consenting adults.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2005, 11:53:49 AM »

Well, I knew the kiddies had to have seen it on TV.  

MBarnum

« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2005, 12:02:47 PM »

DR JoseP, I don't know my Bollywood studios enough yet to find out favorites...except for Wadia Pictures which produced wonderful Arabian Nights/Mythological/fantasy films in the 50s and 60s...I love all of there films!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2005, 12:39:56 PM »

hmmm....  Well, storms were supposed to move through again this afternoon, and the skies did gray over... But now it's blue and clear again... Hmmm...

Well, time to start another load of laundry..

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2005, 01:03:43 PM »

Rodzinsky I shall have to look into the McMenamin brothers and their renovations.   Does your magazine have a website?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2005, 01:23:04 PM »

I really love MGM, Warners, and Fox mainly because their musical output puts all others to shame. (Not that there weren't fine musicals at other studios, but if I walk over to the shelf that holds my musicals, invariably the one that I'll pick to watch comes from one of those three studios.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2005, 01:26:28 PM »

Speaking of picking a movie off the shelf, when I finished with TWISTER this afternoon, I took HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS off the shelf. I've seen it probably ten times, but wanted to see it on the new player.

One thing I've learned is that the newer the transfer, the better it looks on this new player. It really accentuates the defects on older transfers and they don't look as good. TWISTER would probably look much better on one of my older players.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Danise

« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2005, 01:41:55 PM »

Hi folks,  I'm only back for moment.  Dinner is almost ready but I was playing with the scanner.

I'm going to upload something but if it throws us into widescreen, I promise to delete this message toot sweet.

Please stand by......
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2005, 01:45:35 PM »

And the anticipation mounts....

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2005, 01:47:18 PM »

Drat!  The que must be full.  I can't get either picture to upload.   :(

Sorry!  I'll try again later.   :'(

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #115 on: May 15, 2005, 01:53:57 PM »

Well...AIP to be sure....Allied Artists, I think was more of a releasing organization than a production facility....though I think Monogram owned it and released its more "prestige" films through that arm....hmmmmmmm....

Paramount and RKO....and add a vote for Republic for Vera's skating pictures and musicals and westerns.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: May 15, 2005, 01:54:05 PM »

:(
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: May 15, 2005, 02:01:38 PM »

...Oh, that's right, I was doing laundry this afternoon....

Oops..

;)

And I also need to get some dinner/late lunch...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: May 15, 2005, 02:12:24 PM »

On my way to pick up a gift certificate for the baby shower, and the latest version of the Guy Haines CD, which should be it until Kerry's duet.

Jed

« Reply #119 on: May 15, 2005, 02:12:25 PM »

Pacific Northwesterners-
Just read a fascinating article in this magazine we get called "Ready Made". Great mag, by the way. But the article was about the McMenamin brothers, who have made it their life's goal to restore old theatres around Portland, such as the Bagdad. They also took a place called the Franklin School and turned it into a neat hotel. They sound like pretty cool guys. They apparently own 52 lovingly restored establishments in Oregon and Washington.

Haven't seen any of their theaters and such, but have been to a couple McMenamin's restaurants around Portland.  Pretty good food and they brew some tasty beers, too.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up