Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: DRIED FRUIT  (Read 17471 times)

MBarnum

Re:DRIED FRUIT
« Reply #120 on: June 16, 2005, 12:56:29 PM »

MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM is a good ghost movie....well, there is a ghost in one scene.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: June 16, 2005, 01:04:48 PM »

Yes, DTM, that is TIME OF THEIR LIVES with Marjorie Reynolds. It is on DVD in one of the Abbott and Costello sets.

Thanks, MB.  I think I'll have to check this one out.  I remember it was a fun movie.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #122 on: June 16, 2005, 01:26:26 PM »

It takes all of us putting our ehads together to remind ourselves of these brilliant "ghost" plays, films, and musicals.

Can't believe I didn't mention FOLLIES which is my all-time favorite musical.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #123 on: June 16, 2005, 01:29:32 PM »

THE TIME OF THEIR LIVES is one of my favorite A&C movies. It's a wonderfully funny, nostalgic, and even bittersweet film, and one I think even non-A&C fans would like.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: June 16, 2005, 01:30:14 PM »

And I also love the movie GHOST which DR Ron reminded us of a couple of pages back.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #125 on: June 16, 2005, 01:33:22 PM »

Well I ahve a house closing to conduct, so laters ! (as dear reader JoseSPiano is wont to say)
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: June 16, 2005, 01:33:39 PM »

Watched THE DAMNED DON'T CRY and thoroughly enjoyed it again (it's been quite some time since I've seen it). Just makes me wish Warners would get busy and give us more of her outings: TORCH SONG, THIS WOMAN IS DANGEROUS, GOODBYE MY FANCY, FLAMINGO ROAD.

The DVD of THE DAMNED DON'T CRY is shockingly beautiful - not a tear or splice any place. It looks as good as some of their more celebrated black and white outings. The source material was obviously in pristine shape since it's clear Warners wasn't going to waste any restoration money on this little known movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: June 16, 2005, 01:35:27 PM »

Also re-watched the excellent documentary JOAN CRAWFORD: THE ULTIMATE STAR (on the MILDRED PIERCE DVD) and the mini-documentary on THE DAMNED DON'T CRY DVD about the making of that film.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2005, 01:36:34 PM »

Looks like I'm going to have a Joan Crawford weekend around here plus I now have ADVISE AND CONSENT and BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK out to watch as well. Movies, movies, movies all the time this weekend!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2005, 02:13:12 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well...

I started going through some of the detritus (to use a former Word of the Day) on my desk...  Then that led to checking through some of my mail just to make sure I hadn't missed anything...  Then I decided to put up the new shower curtain liner that I bought over the weekend... Then...

So... No retail therapy.  Yet.  The stores don't close until 10:00.  And Macy's is open until 11:00 tonight!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: June 16, 2005, 02:18:01 PM »

Well, if you have decided in the morning that you want to lunch at our museum, I have to tell you that the special of the day every Friday is Vietnamese Chicken Bowl.

I cannot possibly begin to imagine what that might include.

Well, there's two ways to answer this 'query'...  ;D

The second way to answer it would be...

Chicken - Either poached and shredded, or grilled and shredded/cut up into pieces.
Vegetables - Carrots, cucumbers
Cilantro
Rice noodles (vermicelli) or bean thread, or rice
Sauce - Either the traditional caramel sauce with some nuoc nam, soy and/or vinegar.
Crushed peanuts for a garnish.
And maybe some lettuce leaves on the side to roll the above contents in for your own hand rolls.

Sounds good to me!

:)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 02:21:16 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #131 on: June 16, 2005, 02:32:33 PM »

OK... This time I'm really leaving...

Really!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: June 16, 2005, 02:36:59 PM »

National taste is plummeting this week!  I'm appalled by general low mentality of the world these days:  I just heard there will now be a tv movie over that psycho case "the runaway bride," just when I thought this new reality show hosted by Paris Hilton's mother on how to have Klass was the nadir.  I wonder if she'll give tips on selling your own private sex video?  One thing's certain:  the mother of a total bimbo is working with a lot of others.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: June 16, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »

I thought we'd already had the movie RUNAWAY BRIDE. Julia Roberts starred (the fabulous Christopher Meloni was one of the grooms she ran away from) and it was a big hit.

My god, anyone who'd be interested in seeing this "true-life" story must be desperate for entertainment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: June 16, 2005, 02:51:50 PM »

Love High Spirits and Blithe Spirit or vice versa.

Still running and doing and doing and running.  Things should calm down in one hour.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #135 on: June 16, 2005, 03:12:20 PM »

I thought we'd already had the movie RUNAWAY BRIDE. Julia Roberts starred (the fabulous Christopher Meloni was one of the grooms she ran away from) and it was a big hit.

My god, anyone who'd be interested in seeing this "true-life" story must be desperate for entertainment.

SHE shouldn't be allowed to sell her story.  It's the potential groom whose story needs telling...he's the one they put at the top of the list as a suspect in her alleged "murder"...he's the one who was wronged.

She's a bitch, pure and simple.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2005, 03:19:19 PM »

SHE shouldn't be allowed to sell her story.  It's the potential groom whose story needs telling...he's the one they put at the top of the list as a suspect in her alleged "murder"...he's the one who was wronged.

She's a bitch, pure and simple.  

No, she's psycho, a liar and a flake.  I was happiest when I thought the rings she made the police and government authorities run around would cost her prison time and a huge fee.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2005, 03:24:19 PM »

And now for something completely different:

Last Sunday, I was only mildly interested that a 5.2 earthquake struck Riverside County south of LA.

Tuesday, I was alert and pensive about the 7.0 earthquake off the coast above us (and the subsequent tsunami alarms).

Today, however, I am getting paranoid.  A 5.3 earthquake hit San Bernadino County, east of L.A.  It was felt as far south as San Diego.

They're surrounding us...and we're in the middle of several major faults.

Things are moving, and I'm a wonderin' if a biggun is on the horizon...!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2005, 03:44:30 PM »

They're surrounding us...and we're in the middle of several major faults.

Things are moving, and I'm a wonderin' if a biggun is on the horizon...!

DRRonPulliam, I heard the news today and wondered the same thing.  For your safety, and all others on the West Coast, I sure hope not!

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2005, 03:50:36 PM »

We started watching "Guys and Dolls" last night.  I don't think I have ever seen it before (certainly not in colour!).  Brando is so WRONG.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2005, 03:51:41 PM »

Count to ten, DRJOSE.  The world is full of idiots, and they all have your telephone number and email address.

I do not!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »

I was aware of underscoring using songs not used until later in the movie - usually I'm not aware of such things!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #142 on: June 16, 2005, 03:53:59 PM »

I do not!
Does a change of address now mean that I am in the clear?
Oh no!  I still have the email address.
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: June 16, 2005, 04:11:19 PM »

I'm now leaving work to pick up my niece so that we can go to Applebee's for my mom's birthday dinner!  Be back later...and much fuller! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: June 16, 2005, 04:32:22 PM »

I'm now leaving work to pick up my niece so that we can go to Applebee's for my mom's birthday dinner!  Be back later...and much fuller! ;D

DRGeorge, have a great time!  Happy Birthday to your Mother!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: June 16, 2005, 04:49:01 PM »

Picked up some packages today, one of which was an eBay item, a really rare first edition of Eric Ambler's A Coffin for Demitrius.  Unfortunately, it is NOT a first edition.  Not only is it NOT a first edition, it's a worthless BOOK CLUB edition, and that is clearly stated on the dust jacket.  The seller advertised it clearly as a first edition.

Luckily, paypal is really good about this kind of stupidity.  I called them, they had me instantly fill out a claim, and the amount of money I paid the guy has now been frozen in his paypal account until resolution.  I'm hoping he will do the right thing (I've written him, and I've spoken to his wife who told me to call back in a bit when the seller is home) and just credit the money back.  If he is some yahoo and wants to be a jerk, then I have to go to Bookfellows this Saturday, have them look at the book and then write a note on their letterhead stating the book is not as advertised and worthless.  I then fax that to paypal, and they will immediately credit the money back into my account.  So annoying.  these stupid people who don't understand anything about what they're selling are the bane of eBay.  I'll keep you posted.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 16, 2005, 05:16:12 PM »

Just talked to the seller who said he'd make it right.  I'll send the book back tomorrow, via UPS so I have a tracking number and delivery confirmation.  BUTT- before I do that I'm going to go to Bookfellows and get the letter, just in case he tries to pull anything.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2005, 05:28:39 PM »

elmore and Tomovoz, continued healing vibes!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 05:59:28 PM by Jane »

Michael

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2005, 05:33:24 PM »

I would also like to put in my vote for The Portrait of Jenny and The Changling with George C Scott. The latter gave me the same creeps as The Haunting and Legend of Hell House. It is what you don't see is the creepiest.
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2005, 05:33:27 PM »

Evening folks.

BK, I kept my word.  The pictures of the Muse are gone.

I do hope that everyone is safe and sound in CA.  I can’t imagine what it must be like to have the ground move under you.

DR George, I hope you and Mom have a wonderful evening!

DR Elmore, I am so very happy that you got such good news from the doctor!  Continued healing vibes your way!  We want you happy and well for the October meeting.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up