Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FEELING MY OATS  (Read 19415 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FEELING MY OATS
« on: June 29, 2005, 12:02:40 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've felt the notes, the notes have felt your oats, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're not feeling their oats, they're EATING their oats.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 12:04:31 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:FEELING MY OATS
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2005, 12:05:30 AM »

And the word of the day is: BROMIDE!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2005, 12:15:08 AM »

My favourite movie theatre (the building still exists) was the State theatre in Melbourne.  It was decorated in Roman villa style - columns and statues etc., and had a fake starry night sky and the lights (or stars) were the last to die before the movie started. The theatre also had a wurlitzer that came up from the floor at interval.  It was a magic theatre for me. In the late sixties the cinema was divided into two (The Forum and the Rapello). I'm not sure of its use now but I suspect it has a Heritage listing. I hope it is returned to its former glory .
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2005, 12:18:03 AM »

Edimorb was once a sedative for backward people.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2005, 12:22:26 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 12:28:22 AM »

Good Morning!

Sheesh - If Dino keeps hogging the piano, I'll never get a chance to practice!!!!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 12:28:33 AM »

Well, I guess Miss Jill Clayburgh isn't COMPLETELY forgotten, since she'll be starring on Broadway come January in the Mildred Natwick role in the Barefoot in the Park revival.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 12:30:56 AM »

Good Morning!

Sheesh - If Dino keeps hogging the piano, I'll never get a chance to practice!!!!

;D
In the land of Oz that would be practise.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 12:51:03 AM »

Hmm...  I had no real favorite theatre growing up.  We moved around so much, that I never got attached to anyone in particular.  My parents did like drive-ins, and there were many nights when we'd stay to see the first feature again after the second feature had already aired. And, yes, we even bought that contraption that kept the rain of the windshield when it rained. Well, it almost kept the rain off the windshield.

Once I was in high school, my favorite theatre was which ever one happened to be showing the movie I wanted to see, and happened to have a decent ticket price.  -Lots of bargain matinees and twilight shows.  I saw a lot movies at Skyline Mall and Tysons Corner Center.   The malls are still there - with some modifications - however, part of the modifications for each mall was the removal of the theatres.  Ah, well.   *However, it looks like Tysons will be regaining some theatres in it's new wing.

Currently, my favorite place to see a movie is at the Byrd Theatre in Richmond, VA.  A classic old movie house.  And on Saturday nights, Bob Gulledge is still at the Mighty Wurlitzer.  Although, when I first came to Richmond, Bob Lent and Lin Lunde would also play.

It's a second-run house, so movies only cost $1.99 - it used to be only $0.99 for the longest time.  However, the Byrd is sort of infamous for it's not-so-comfortable seating.  But for a $1.99.... Not a bad deal.

The Byrd is also locally noted for it's own "No Talking, No Trash, etc." commercial that they run before each movie.  It's done in a very funny, campy manor.  And so many people have seen it so many times, that you're bound to hear someone around you saying the words along with the actors on the screen.  It was filmed when I started school, and, consequently, a couple of people I went to school with are featured in it.

http://www.byrdtheatre.com

And here's the site for the recently formed preservation society:
http://www.byrdtheatrefoundation.org
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 12:58:36 AM »

http://theatreorgans.com/southerncross/Victoria/RegentMelb.htm

Hope this works. Another wonderful Melbourne theatre.
It is now live theatre again "Lion King". It was better as a cinema!
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 01:01:54 AM »

And my favourite:
http://theatreorgans.com/southerncross/Victoria/StateMelb.htm

These are both quite long articles etc.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 01:05:26 AM »

Shouldn't DRs Jose and Elmore be asleep. Maybe you're out Bear hunting.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 01:07:39 AM »

In the land of Oz that would be practise.

Hmmm...

Does that mean I would also have to deal with "longas", "breves", "semibreves", "minims", "crotchets", "semibreves", "quavers", "semiquavers", "demisemiquavers", "hemidemisemiquavers", "semihemidemisemiquavers" or "quasihemidemisemiquavers" and so forth and so on?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 01:08:35 AM »

I shall be retiring momentarily...

Hi, DR elmore!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2005, 01:08:58 AM »

Good Day, DR Tomovoz.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2005, 01:10:14 AM »

And if you click on the Byrd Theatre link, you can view a video of Bob Gulledge and The Mighty Wurlitzer in action.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2005, 01:10:31 AM »

Yes. And if you're good enough you will be allowed to play the black notes too.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2005, 01:10:55 AM »

What are you doing up, Larry?  Early train this morning, I hope?
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2005, 01:11:09 AM »

Catch you soon in OZ we hope DR Jose.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2005, 01:11:32 AM »

OZDerek is sore and very tired.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2005, 01:15:20 AM »

Catch you soon in OZ we hope DR Jose.

I hope so too, Tom.

And thanks for the updates on OZDerek.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2005, 01:16:44 AM »

Well, I guess I shall have to wait until "morning" to find out what DR elmore has been up to at this very early hour - at least here on the East Coast of the United States.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2005, 01:19:14 AM »

Shouldn't DRs Jose and Elmore be asleep. Maybe you're out Bear hunting.

Good morning, DRTomovoz!  I got up at 4:00 am, and I'm having some coffee.  I have to be out of here by 5:15 for the train to DC.

Stay well and healthy till I'm back on Friday night!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2005, 01:20:33 AM »

Hello, DRJose!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2005, 01:23:20 AM »

Safe journey DR Elmore.
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2005, 04:08:21 AM »

My favourite movie theatre growing up was the Hiland Theatre on North Fort Thomas Avenue im Fort Thomas, Kentucky, where I grew up.  It was also the only theatre in town.  We saw everything there.  It was run by Kenny Broadhurst...a single man who lived with his mother.  In retrospect, he was probably rather put upon by us kids, but he ran a tight ship and was viligent in telling us to keep our feet of the backs of seats and to hush up when we were too loud and patrolling the aisle with a flashlight for misbehaviour.  In fact, if there were more guys like Kenny keeping miscreant patrons in line, I might go out to the movies more often.  

Another great thing was that the concession stand was at the back of the theatre itself, not, in the lobby, so that you could actually go back to it in the middle of the movie and get something with out missing any of the movie.  I think the last movie I saw there the Timothy Dalton/Anna Calder-Marshall, Wuthering Heights when I was in college.  It closed shortly after that and became an insurance company.

I also remember all the big movie palaces in downtown Cincinnati, which were where you went for a date...The Albee, the Keith, others.

In college, there was the run-down Opera House on Broadway in downtown Lexington.  It had once been a grand touring house where people like the Barrymores had played.  When I was in school, it was a 65-cent double-feature, third-run house where I saw a lot of great movies...The Fixer, Private Life  of Sherlock Holmes, Support Your Local Sheriff, the strange Royal Hunt of the Sun.

A few years later, the theatre was refurbished for theatre again and had its opening with Julie Harris in Belle of Amherst,, which I saw.  In the eighties, it was where my Sherlock Holmes play, The Ebony Ape, premiered.  It is the major house where touring shows are booked.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2005, 05:11:41 AM »

I love old movie houses.  Unfortunatley, they have all disappeared here in Northern Caliifornia.  The only one that I know of that is still in all its granduer is the Stanford Movie Theatre in Palo Alto.  They even have a MIghty Wurlitzer.  It's sad the way the old houses have gone.

Michael

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2005, 05:29:44 AM »

One of my favorites was the Seville Theater which is just a shell of its former self. I posted pictures of it a month ago. There was also the Loewe's, Palace (The buildings exists but they are no longer movie theaters and the Capitol. These were major movie palaces. Beautiful ornate like many of the classic Broadway Theaters. But economics either had them torn down or subdivided into multiplexes and even later closed down when people went to other multiplexes in the burbs instead of a night on the town in downtown Montreal. I have found memories. I even went to the Palace theater before it was made into a multiplex and saw the last film there. I kept the stub for years as a momento. But the movie was a sex/gore that I walked out on. It was called if memory serves. Greta the Mad Butcher (or something like that) It was a followup to the Ilsa the She Wolf of the SS movies that the same "actress" did.
Never stop dreaming.

Ginny

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 05:40:26 AM »

Greetings from SW Ohio!  I returned home from Chicago late last night and took time only to skim the posts from the 4 days I was gone.  Missed you all and want to send special vibes to DR ozderek as he deals with his situation that puts all the inconveniences in my life into stark perspective.  

Also, to DR elmore (who I apparently missed early this morning), travel and LoC research vibes - maybe DR Jose would convey these for me?

The trip to Chicago went decidedly downhill after my post on Saturday.  My friend/travel companion/roommate was sick all day Sunday and I was sick all day Monday.  We don't know if we shared a case of food poisoning or a 24-hour flu bug, but it made me miss my most relevant conference day.  We were both sufficiently recovered to spend Tuesday morning in the exhibit hall and to have a smooth drive home (except for major traffic congestion around Indianapolis - they need an outer belt, DR Jrand!).

The best thing about staying in my room all day Monday was being able to admire this view from the 29th floor of the Hyatt Regency:
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 06:52:14 AM »

Growing up in Medford Oregon we only had three theaters...The Lithia Drive-in, The Holly, and The Craterian.

The Craterian seemed to play most of the films that I saw as a kid..the Disney movies, the Ray Harryhausen Sinbad movies, etc. I don't ever recall seeing much at the Holly Theater, and didn't go to the drive-in much until my late high school days.

None of the three theaters are in existence anymore. The Lithia is now used for swap meets, and I don't know what the Holly became.

The Craterian closed in the 80s and later was dusted off and renovated and turned into the Ginger Rogers Theater (or something like that) a few years ago. It looks nice, but totally different.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up