Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THROWING DOWN THE GAUNTLET  (Read 27342 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THROWING DOWN THE GAUNTLET
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2005, 04:03:57 PM »

Ah! A John Philips reference and TCB appears. A coincidencental appearance from the #1 Mamas & Papas fan of the NW.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2005, 04:07:22 PM »

I would love to find out what the average price of a gallon of gas was in the United States, on the day before we went to war with Iraq.  Since one of the reasons that was given for going in and getting Saddam was to protect the Middle Eastern oil reserves.  Well, Saddam is long gone, and the price of oil goes up and up and up.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2005, 04:09:43 PM »

Ahhh.........John Phillips......... The Mamas and The Papas.

What beautiful music they produced.  I thought of marrying Mama Cass, but she said something about not liking ham!
“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2005, 04:28:08 PM »

The first time I read of the Karen Carpenter/Mama Cass  sandwich connection was in the notes on a Ben Bagley album. Tasteless - and funny. Two ladies with the most wonderful voices.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2005, 04:35:33 PM »

DR TCB aka Mama Cass' personal ham:

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&lr=&sa=X&oi=scholart&q=average+price+gallon+of+gas+United+States+day+before+we+went+to+war+with+Iraq.

Well, the best info I could find, said that on the day George Bush took office in January 2001, the average price for a gallon of gas in this country was $1.47.
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2005, 05:15:35 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from my trek to midtown.  A friend of mine ended up calling me to go through some music since he got called in for an audition for Spamalot tomorrow.  So we ran through some of the stuff in his book, as well as "Look On the Bright Side of Life" - he's been called in for Patsy.  -And if he gets cast, he better mention me in his bio!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: August 28, 2005, 05:19:40 PM »

...And in the studio next to us, there was some sort of dance recital/reception.  And they had lots of yummy smelling food too - I'm thinking Eastern European.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #128 on: August 28, 2005, 05:35:20 PM »

I just ate a perfectly delicious pear.  I love good pears.  I'm eating it whilst watching the coverage of Katrina and the evacuation of New Orleans...crazy stuff.  

DR Jed and I spent some time this morning listening to the new Guy Haines album, which I got to listen to even though I was not technically  the recipient of the Sparkling Prize.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: August 28, 2005, 06:01:22 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Glad to hear that you cried.  :D
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: August 28, 2005, 06:07:10 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Glad to hear that you cried.  :D

I haven't laughed that hard in a long long time

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: August 28, 2005, 06:10:31 PM »

I found out a little while ago that a friend of mine who lives in a great house in New Orleans that is shaped like a steamboat is now in Baton Rouge.  Glad she's out of there.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #132 on: August 28, 2005, 06:11:40 PM »

Hope DR JANE is sleeping soundly now.

Thank you.  By then I was, finally.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: August 28, 2005, 06:14:29 PM »

I haven't laughed that hard in a long long time

And what's even more amazing, is that they actually try their best to do the Twyla Tharp choreography!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #134 on: August 28, 2005, 06:21:43 PM »

And what's even more amazing, is that they actually try their best to do the Twyla Tharp choreography!

Too funny

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2005, 06:33:51 PM »

...Just switched over to coverage of Katrina...

VIBES and PRAYERS
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2005, 06:34:42 PM »

And on a lighter note, I ended up $29 ahead playing lottery scratchers today.

Make Your Own Luck.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2005, 06:36:08 PM »

MBarnum, that is one of the all-time great pop tunes as far as I'm concerned. It has such a unique arrangement. That "B" side Tomovoz mentions, "Fireball" is a fuzz-guitar garage instrumental, totally different.

Here's a site that tells a bit of the Mercy story:
http://www.teddwebb.com/garage_bands/mercy.html

But what it really doesn't go into was that the people who recorded the big hit "Love Can Make You Happy" were studio musicians different than the original Mercy. After the hit, an LP was put out by a Mercy that had very little do to with the real band, which was more rock-oriented. Confusing?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2005, 06:36:17 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~VIBES TO EVERYONE IN KATRINA'S PATH~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

It's the disdainful elmore3003 back from the wilds of Rhinecliff, NY, where THE GOLDEN APPLE was performed at 3:00 pm in concert.   There were lots of folk showing up, composers Stephen Schwartz and Steve Alper, Peter Howard, Don Pippin, Steven Suskin, Erik Haagensen, Bruce Pomahac, Jim Morgan of the York Theatre Company, Howard Kissel, and many more.  I sat with the Moross family and met some wonderful folk.  DRJose, it was a zoo!  You would have had a great time.  There were several highlight moments:  "Lazy Afternoon" was close to perfection:  slow, sultry, and not a sound in the house for the whole number.  I thought Crista Moore had the best grasp on a character with Penelope, and "Windflowers" was a beautiful moment as well.  Danny Marcus as Menelaus was also excellent, and he had the most moving line to lead into "Windflowers":
    We don't get any younger
    Everything changes but the heart's hunger

Danny and John Cullum were wonderful as well in the Scylla-Charybdis brokerage number, and the chorus sang wonderfully.  I hope this concert gets another performance in New York.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2005, 06:37:56 PM »

Thanks JRand, for that LIFE article info!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2005, 06:38:19 PM »

In a very unusual move, I took Dixie Bell to Walter Chapel United Methodist Church for "The Blessing of the Animals." Before the blessing, Dixie and I strolled up to Dad's gravesite; well, Dixie (at nine months) didn't exactly stroll, she tugged, she pulled, she ran.
Rev. Darlene, who if she were a canine would be a twin to Dixie, performed prayers over several animals, a chihauhau, a lab, a persian cat, a springer spaniel on the front steps of the church. Only Dixie sat at Darlene's feet while being blessed, her only moment of truly good behavior.

:)Sweet.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2005, 06:38:59 PM »

And on a lighter note, I ended up $29 ahead playing lottery scratchers today.

I call that winning the lottery

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2005, 06:45:51 PM »

DR elmore - Thanks for The Golden Apple report.  Glad to hear that it went well.  It would have been nice to have been there today, but, all in all, it was nice to have another day off, more or less.  I had a nice morning getting stuff done around the apartment, and it also gave me a chance to take a closer look at the show I'm up for.  I shall hope for a presentation in the city sometime soon too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2005, 06:48:04 PM »

I call that winning the lottery

Let's just hope I'm on a streak now... Especially since I also won on Friday!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2005, 07:04:29 PM »

Had a great day at work, went very quickly and had great customers, some of them downright funny

Getting home again, der B had the news stations on, of course.  The only thing I can do is send my prayers to New Orleans.  A couple of friends of ours, Mark and Josea, are doctors there; I expect they'll be extra busy for the next week or so.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2005, 07:14:06 PM »

I posted this earlier, but I've been watching WWL on line. They have been having more detailed coverage than I'm seeing on the networks

http://www.wwltv.com/perl/common/video/wmPlayer.pl?title=beloint_wwltv&props=livenoad

Jason

« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2005, 07:29:42 PM »

Evenin', all.

There was just a news update about Katrina. Mr. Brian Williams was standing outside the Superdome where they plan to house 30,000 New Orleans-ers for "one night or possibly several weeks." And I thought sharing a house with 21 people was tough doing summerstock. All kidding aside, I really wish the best for the people of New Orleans. They are in my thoughts and prayers.

I was one of the lucky ones who got to see all six shows at the Sondheim Festival - a couple of them twice, and all FREE. IMHO, PASSION was the best of the six. I'll admit this at the risk of hurting DR TomofOz's sensibilities (Aussies and their sensibilities, my lord) - PASSION was not, is not, nor will it ever be one of my favorite Sondheim scores, but that production was in and of itself as close to perfection as I could imagine. Ms. Judy Kuhn was amazing as Fosca and Mr. Cerveris was wondeful as Georgio. I've seen him do the role twice since then....he was best at the Kennedy Center. I was even uber-impressed with Ms. Rebecca Luker, whom I have always found to be a lovely singer but not-so-strong actress. She was great, and didn't even have to bare her breasts.

I was also lucky enough to get a comped ticket to the PASSION reunion concert last fall (one of the few perks of working where I do), and to see/hear Donna and Marin was thrilling.

I was also lucky enough to see/hear Ms. Patti LuPone and Ms. Audra McDonald do the concert version at Lincoln Center this spring. Every time I see the show, I go in thinking, "Not this again! I hate this show!" and I walk out in tears.

"I'm someone to be loved, and that I learned from you..."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 07:33:10 PM by Jason »

Tomovoz

« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2005, 08:04:45 PM »

DR Jason "Passion" I really like but it is not my favourite Sondheim show. Way below Sweeney, Follies, Merrily and Sunday and Company. SITPWG is IMHO the most moving of his work.
Had I seen the LuPone version I too would have walked out in tears. Subtle she knows not.

The Sondheim review's article (review) on her "Candide" is spot on!!!
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2005, 08:07:27 PM »

Had a busy night watching some wonderful television. First up, the always entertaining COLD CASE. I had not seen this during the regular season, so it was new to me, and I did not figure out the murderer's identity before the end of the show. I was going in a totally different direction.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2005, 08:08:03 PM »

I'm watching the local NBC news coverage of the hurricane - this is one mother of a storm! It's horrifying. It looks like the storm will hit Louisville late Tuesday or early Wednesday. Louisville is a city prone to tornados in such weather... Here's hoping my parents will stay in the basement for the next few nights...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up