Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO SEPTEMBER  (Read 42224 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO SEPTEMBER
« Reply #300 on: September 01, 2005, 08:07:31 PM »

Maybe if I eat ONLY the rice cakes between now and the meet....

Traditional Korean Rice Cakes

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #301 on: September 01, 2005, 08:09:51 PM »

Because the soap I watch was interrupted with local and national bulletins about the crisis in the Gulf states, I just gave up trying to watch it, and that's when I started watching DAISY KENYON this afternoon.

Thankfully, there is SoapNet which reruns my soap at 9 each night (also 2 a.m.), so I was able to DVR it and watch after CSI went off (and there were no interruptions for news bulletins). There are SOME benefits to having all those cable channels.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #302 on: September 01, 2005, 08:15:09 PM »

CSI had a marvelous episode with a surprising story concerning a family who has a child merely to be able to mine her blood, bone marrow, and organs to keep the oldest son alive. Grisly tale on paper but quite riveting to watch.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #303 on: September 01, 2005, 08:15:19 PM »

I would love to have been at a Carol Burnett taping, but when we were in LA, all we could get tickets for was ART LINKLETTER'S HOUSE PARTY. Guess that lets you know how long ago THAT trip was!

I remerber that!  I remember his "kid interviews" when he would coax the kids into saying everything that their parents coached them not to say...
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

« Reply #304 on: September 01, 2005, 08:16:02 PM »

I'm sure we'll be getting the BIG BROTHER report soon conerning who was evicted. I didn't watch. During that hour I started the movie I had said earlier today I wanted to re-visit: X-MEN.

Matt H.

« Reply #305 on: September 01, 2005, 08:17:40 PM »

The day I was at ART LINKLETTER, Edith Head was a guest. She seemed very tiny to me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #306 on: September 01, 2005, 08:18:29 PM »

OH!

And on my walk up the Upper West Side, I had some damn good fried chicken at the Chicken Stop on Amsterdam between 88th and 89th.  A 2 piece snack was only $4.00.  Quite the bargain.  And, in typical New York Melting Pot fashion, the place is run by Russians, and they apparently serve some great hot Borscht and Kasha dishes.  In fact, it was the RUSSIAN FOOD window sign that initially caught my eye, but upon closer inspection, I started reading all the reviews for their fried chicken that were posted in their window.  So, fried chicken it was!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #307 on: September 01, 2005, 08:21:36 PM »

Traditional Korean Rice Cakes

der Brucer

Hmmm...  I always have to be careful when I hit those large Korean supermarkets - there are trays and trays of those rice cakes all over the place - savory and sweet.  Nothing like glutinous rice mixed with sugar and toasted sesame seeds, or wrapped around sweet red bean paste.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #308 on: September 01, 2005, 08:22:36 PM »

Back to X-MEN: Having seen the sequel X-2 several times, I was happy to go back to this first one to get it clear in my mind again the backstories on some of the mutants. I never read the comics (was into DC stuff, not Marvel), but now seeing X-MEN again, the two movies together make a great original and sequel pairing, and I'm thinking the sequel is an even better film.

Even after all these years, X-MEN is still a reference quality DVD in picture and sound. The sound is vanilla Dolby Digital 5.1, and I didn't experiment with the EX switch to see if a back surround channel would open up if I switched the channel on (many 5.1 films of recent vintage will add that back surround channel if you switch it on on the receiver). Still was full of surround activity and much subwoofer rumbling.

Matt H.

« Reply #309 on: September 01, 2005, 08:24:35 PM »

But now this brings up tomorrow's films. I still have four films on the DVR, and I'll watch at least one of them tomorrow for sure. I will want to watch at least one DVD tomorrow also, perhaps two, so those decisions must be made as well to be ready for the Friday Media Check tomorrow.

Matt H.

« Reply #310 on: September 01, 2005, 08:26:45 PM »

And since MONK has ended its season, there will be nothing coming on Friday Night television that should interfere with movie watching tomorrow night.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #311 on: September 01, 2005, 08:27:51 PM »

In other news...

I've booked myself on the 7:30 Amtrak heading down to DC tomorrow night.  It'll be my first trip "home" in about two months.  WOW!  Time certainly does fly.  I'll probably be heading down to Richmond on Sunday or Monday, and then eventually make my way back up to NYC Tuesday night or Wednesday morning.  I was originally thinking of driving back up so that I could bring back a few more things - I'm really missing my Kitchen Aid stand mixer - but with the continuously rising gas prices, I think it will be cheaper to take the train back up.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 08:28:58 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #312 on: September 01, 2005, 08:28:36 PM »

The only positive is that I am committed to becoming better prepared for  any kind of disaster.  

Manhattanites have a particularly difficult problem with disaster preparadeness.

Take out two tunnels and a half dozen bridges and evacuating the city is hopeless. Of course, it would also be impossible to bring in enough food to feed the population either. If I were a Manhattan couple I would keep a two week supply of non-perishable food and bottled water on hand at all times. (Keep it one of the many spare closets found in most NYC apartments ::)

Were either of you around to enjoy the great NYC black-out? (1965, 1977, 2003 - your pick) (Wow, was that a HHW posting frenzy).

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #313 on: September 01, 2005, 08:32:57 PM »

Well, I'm going to be house-sitting at the house with no computer again...starting tonight!  What was I thinking??  No computer?  They pay me.  That's what I was thinking. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #314 on: September 01, 2005, 08:33:49 PM »

I knew Lawrence Welk wasn't cool; that it was decidedly old fashioned and corny. More often thatn not on Saturday night, we'd watch at least part of it.

Lawrence Welk was always on at our house, too, though much of the time as background (Saturday nights were busy at our house.)

Nowadays, if I'm visiting Mom on a Saturday night, she usually has the TV tuned to the PBS channel that carries the reruns.  What strikes me now about the show is that, as old fashioned and corny as it was, it was entertaining, at least in the early to mid 60s years.  In its later run, I guess Welk or the producers became reactionary to the times and the show adopted a smugly  patriotic and sanctimonious mode and became unwatchable.  That tall blonde guy with the shallac hair makes me want to puke.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #315 on: September 01, 2005, 08:34:55 PM »

Manhattanites have a particularly difficult problem with disaster preparadeness.

Take out two tunnels and a half dozen bridges and evacuating the city is hopeless. Of course, it would also be impossible to bring in enough food to feed the population either. If I were a Manhattan couple I would keep a two week supply of non-perishable food and bottled water on hand at all times. (Keep it one of the many spare closets found in most NYC apartments ::)

Were either of you around to enjoy the great NYC black-out? (1965, 1977, 2003 - your pick) (Wow, was that a HHW posting frenzy).

der Brucer

Rodzinski and I were living together at the time of the 2003 blackout but he was on one of the last planes that took off right after the blackout happened.  He didn't even know about the blackout until after his stop over (in Texas I believe).  

It was pretty crazy because I had no way of knowing if his plane had been able to take off.  I walked home 8 miles to Washington Heights by myself and had to use my cellphone as a flashlight until I could find the one we kept in the apartment.  We were extremely underprepared for it.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #316 on: September 01, 2005, 08:37:41 PM »

Killbot and Walty are in the weirdest mood tonight.  I can't tell if they hate or love each other.  They are probably just cooking up a plot together...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #317 on: September 01, 2005, 08:38:20 PM »

Last night one of the experienced performers in MY THREE ANGELS who knows everything about theatre, directing, acting, and props (after all he has been in ONE other play!) said that he can't carry the actress he is supposed to carry in and hold her as long as he is supposed to.

His solution:  Cut four of MY lines.

I stood up and said,  every line I have I will say.  The solution to NO problem includes cutting ANY of my lines.  In fact, I may add a few.

The director tabled the problem so that it can be worked on tonight, but I think I will get to keep all my lines.

And I think you just might say those lines a little bit slower during the performances, DR JRand.

Yes...a little bit slower each night.  :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #318 on: September 01, 2005, 08:39:58 PM »

And I think you just might say those lines a little bit slower during the performances, DR JRand.

Yes...a little bit slower each night.  :)

and maybe take the time to add an interpretive dance.

Cillaliz

« Reply #319 on: September 01, 2005, 08:41:24 PM »

I'm sure we'll be getting the BIG BROTHER report soon conerning who was evicted. I didn't watch. During that hour I started the movie I had said earlier today I wanted to re-visit: X-MEN.

BB6 - James was evicted - it was unanimous. They showed the sequester house for the first time. Nice place.  Jennifer was a total bitch to Rachael, it was disgusting.  

Howie won HOH - double elimination week. He nominated Ivette and Beau, which makes sense as they were the only couple left in the house.

Cillaliz

« Reply #320 on: September 01, 2005, 08:50:00 PM »

I've been pretty upset - both sad and angry about New Orleans.  It has been known for ages that this could happen in New Orleans, but nothing was done about it.

And I can't believe that they could not possibly get food and water to people for this long. It's totally outrageous and I am so mad I could just spit....especially hearing Bush tell people who haven't had water for days that they'll just have to be patient, it will get there.

End of rant for now

DERBRUCER

« Reply #321 on: September 01, 2005, 09:08:10 PM »

The day I was at ART LINKLETTER, Edith Head was a guest. She seemed very tiny to me.

Edith was a regular on the show!

(From Magic of Edith Head):

In the book Edith Head’s Hollywood she philosophized about herself “I knew I could never be the greatest costume designer, but I knew there was no reason I couldn’t be the smartest.” (pg. 118) Edith knew that with each decade fashions change and so did studios attitudes toward designers. The 1960’s brought sweeping change for the studios; television was now a serious competitor for audiences. Many designers at other studios were considered too expensive to keep on and were either fired or they left to make more money elsewhere. Edith, having no desire to work retail, knew that the only way to keep her job was publicity and lots of it. Publicity was attention and attention mixed with a product such as a movie featuring Edith Head designs would definitely bring in money. Paramount continued to encourage Edith to promote their movies (or her movies as she like to refer to them as) on the TV show Art Linkletter’s House Party and showcased different movie costumes in her travelling fashion show. House Party would bring Edith directly in touch with her fans. Each episode she would walk up and down the aisles of the audience giving advice to each woman. Advising women to cut their hair, go on a diet, not to wear polka dots, etc. She was sometimes harsh and blunt with them, but they always appreciated the honesty. She was their one link to not only the glamour secrets of the stars, but they believed Edith knew the secret to their own personal glamour.

And a wee lass, she be!

And don't forget her last great role in The Incredibles!

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #322 on: September 01, 2005, 09:09:43 PM »

Of course bk is pleased.

No one has guessed which of the listed variety shows I've appeared on???

I'm watching a very enjoyable film called Jamboree from 1957.  The DVD is already just out, or will be out very soon from Warners.

Caitlynne's mother already wrote me back - she loves the song.  Caitlynne isn't home, but will hear it soon.  If she likes it, then I suppose she's got her song for next year's competitions.  I wrote it so it would be completely different from the Annie song - this one's a semi-ballad, but funny, and belty (really BELTY), about a girl who doesn't want to do the things that girls do these days, and only wants to sing on Broadway.

The first two verses:

Other girls my age
Do things that are the rage
Like wearing little thongs
Well, I prefer singing songs
To going to the mall
Not my idea of fun at all

I don't like MTV
And rap is not for me
Don't want to pierce my nose
No, I prefer doing shows
To getting a tattoo
There's just one thing I want to do

Matt H.

« Reply #323 on: September 01, 2005, 09:09:44 PM »

The blonde with the helmet hair on LAWRENCE WELK was Tom Netherton. He had a gorgeous smile back in the day, but he tended to sing through his nose.

Since I really wasn't into much of the music that was popular when I was growing up, that easy listening stuff on WELK was right up my alley. They'd do a lot of show tunes, of course, and movie songs as well.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #324 on: September 01, 2005, 09:12:30 PM »

And I can't believe that they could not possibly get food and water to people for this long.

Maybe people shooting at the relief heliocopters had something to do with it! Remember there was virtually no ground access to the flooded areas!

The folks had plenty of warning to stock up on both food and water!

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #325 on: September 01, 2005, 09:12:38 PM »

Edith really was the last of the costume designers who stayed on contract to a studio. She switched over from Paramount to Universal and stayed there until she died.

Matt H.

« Reply #326 on: September 01, 2005, 09:15:33 PM »

Yes, I have EDITH HEAD'S HOLLYWOOD. Wasn't Marilyn Monroe the only huge Hollywood female star she never designed for, or at least that was her claim in that book? (Charles LeMaire did MArilyn's clothes in ALL ABOUT EVE while Edith outfitted Bette Davis.)

Matt H.

« Reply #327 on: September 01, 2005, 09:17:29 PM »

And now I think I must call it a night. Hopefully, I'll get more than the 6.5 hours of sleep I got last night.

Good evening! (in my best Alfred Hitchcock imitation.)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #328 on: September 01, 2005, 09:21:09 PM »

How soon we forget:

Tiny newsreport on the AP:

ORANJESTAD, Aruba  — A judge on Thursday ordered the conditional release of a Dutch teenager in the disappearance of Natalee Holloway, but he remains a suspect, his defense attorney said.

Joran van der Sloot, 18, could be released from jail as early as Saturday and remain free pending the outcome of the probe, said Antonio Carlo.

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #329 on: September 01, 2005, 09:25:16 PM »

Let's hope when Jane tours Munich she takes pix at their park - where clothing is very optional. (Nudists playing volleyball is quite a visual experience)

der Brucer

And then there is the infamous Mike's Bike Tour (which offers the free pint of lager to the gentlemen to help get their (*ahem*) courage up.)
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up