Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A NOID  (Read 40420 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:A NOID
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2004, 03:27:28 PM »

Panni as usual-a great story.  Thanks for the laugh!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2004, 03:37:06 PM »

One of my favorite shows: a locally-written production called "Gov." It was about some of the wacky governors in the State of Arizona -- Ev Mecham, Fife Symington III, Rose Mofford, et al. Only MusicGuy and Kerry would understand.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2004, 03:37:59 PM »

DR Panni -- you always tell great stories.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2004, 03:38:17 PM »

My Fox News-watching, outspoken uncle is a good cook.  While I was back east, I enjoyed, from his efforts, a grilled steak, BBQ Chicken, pork loin and hash, as well as collard greens.  He is famous in the town for his smoked pork loins, BBQ chicken and his fried turkey.  If you don't believe me, just ask him.  He preps these things for folks all the time, actually.  Sometimes, family functions get in the way and we get the accidents.

My aunt used to be known for her birthday/special occasion cakes.  Now she believes herself to be known for her "famous" sourdough bread.  I live in the Bay Area and I know from sourdough.  What she makes is more like a sweet french bread.  That's right.  Her starter has sweetened.  Next time I go to SC, I'm taking a loaf of sourdough bread with me to refresh the memory of her tastebuds.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 03:39:46 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Jennifer

« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2004, 03:46:48 PM »

Um that food sounds good. I still need to eat. But I"m being fussy today and cannot think of anything even remotely appealing.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #155 on: January 05, 2004, 03:47:38 PM »

As far as TV gut-busters, South Park has me on the floor with every new episode...and a lot of the old ones still.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #156 on: January 05, 2004, 03:50:37 PM »

Okay, now I'm embarrassed by the profusion of excess karma I've received over the last 24 hours.  God knows, I have been that witty, pithy, or profound.  No pity karma! (And, yes, friends...I'm joking, I could give a rat's bum about karma).

Emily

« Reply #157 on: January 05, 2004, 03:54:03 PM »

DR Emily, how were your classes?

Thanks for asking, LC :D

Class #1 = Sociolinguistics with Dr. Charles Boberg (aka Mr. Mary/Merry/Marry himself)

It sounds very interesting but he warned people at the beginning of the class that those of us with no linguistics background might have some difficulty (i.e. ME... the profs get an electronic copy of all their students' background faculties and earlier classes taken to peruse and Boberg made SEVERAL references to a student with a Poli. Sci. background... oy)

We get to do field work which sounds fun though.  I may need to phone up some foreign kimlets/hainsies and record your voices saying weird phrases or words... like "marry/merry/mary" :)

Class #2 = World Religions 1 (AKA Death and Dying in a fun flying trip around five major religions in fifteen quick weeks!)

I actually already took this course in CEGEP.  With the same teacher.  Who recognized me sitting in class and went "WHAT THE F**K?" in true post-modern religious studies teacher fashion.

I talked to her after class in which she laughed and told me to take it anyway since I pretty much NEED it for my minor.  

Tomorrow I have Canadian Church History, Canadian Public Administration and 20th Century European Politics to look forward too... we will see how those go...

The prof doing 20th Century European Politics got a sexy chile pepper in his reviews on ratemyprofessor.com... I will have a FULL report tomorrow (McGill students have had very good taste in the past...)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #158 on: January 05, 2004, 03:57:35 PM »

LOL DREmily!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2004, 03:59:14 PM »

btw... Ratemyprofessor.com (which allows students to anonymously review profs based on a number of factors) compiled a list of its funniest reviews...

15  Emotional scarring may fade away, but that big fat F on your transcript won't.

14  The movies he shows are so bad even he has to leave the room.

13  Miserable professor - I wish I could sum him up without foul language.

12  Instant amnesia walking into this class. I swear he breathes sleeping gas.

11  BORING! But I learned there are 137 tiles on the ceiling.

10  Not only is the book a better teacher, it also has a better personality.

9  Teaches well, invites questions and then insults you for 20 minutes.

8  This teacher was a firecracker in a pond of slithery tadpoles.

7  I learned how to hate a language I already know.

6  Very good course, because I only went to one class.

5  He will destroy you like an academic ninja.  

4  Bring a pillow.

3  Your pillow will need a pillow.

2  If I was tested on her family, I would have gotten an A.

1  She hates you already.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2004, 03:59:32 PM »

I have to pee and cannot leave the desk because the freaking phone won't stop ringing!! ARGH!

Hey, it's a Brave New World! In addition to Melmac, and Tang, the world of modern marvels includes the relief tube (or, for us Country Boys, a Mayonnaise jar).

der Brucer (who has no advice for Country Girls)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2004, 04:01:10 PM »

Chat in a mere ninety minutes, unless I decide that I'm gonna try and get out of here around five-fifteen, in which case I'll open the room at five.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #162 on: January 05, 2004, 04:24:14 PM »

Our Indian neighbors have invited us for dinner. I'm sure it will be delicious and spicy, but I'm also sure it will be served late. I'll likely miss all the chat, but am sure it, too, will be delicious and spicy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: January 05, 2004, 04:36:54 PM »

Chat very soon, possibly as soon as five o'clock Pacific Mean Time

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: January 05, 2004, 04:46:08 PM »

Actually, I've opened the room so come on in when you can and let's get the partay goin', shall we?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #165 on: January 05, 2004, 05:10:54 PM »

Just for the record, 'tis I who took that photo of der Brucer on the lake.  I kept it with me at work, safely in my desk (most everyone was cool, but there were a few over the years who didn't know how).

I'm also to blame for the photo he's using as his avatar, taken the same day as the lake pic.  We were on vacation in Germany, on a day trip in the Alps, when we spotted some of our fellow travellers off on a peak just a hundred feet away.  It looked like fun, and the view promised to be spectacular.  So off we went on the trail, two bears (or, at that point, a bear and his cub) climbing the mountain to see what they could see.

Had we realized that the climb over to the other crest involved a very narrow trail about the width of a gymnastic balance beam, a single rope to hold onto, and for one part of the trip a ladder made of railroad spikes that had been pounded into the mountain rock, we would have thought twice about that journey.  One slip and we would have made it faster down than either of us would have cared for.

Personally, I do prefer the lake shot, although the mountain shot makes der Brucer look remarkably butch!

The shot of us with the former Speaker of the House is more typical of how der Brucer reacts to a camera, wide eyed and frozen.  (And yes, the Speaker knew we were a couple when it was taken.  He had been trying to pull der Brucer closer by the back of his belt.  Der Brucer joked "Careful, we're members of Log Cabin," to which the Speaker replied "That's OK, my reputation's already shot!")  (No idea who the woman in the middle is.)

Dear Der Brucer: as long as you're posting pics from Long Beach, can you find something, anything better of me?  Other than the baby pictures?  (And one of these days, you're going to have to write down the golf ball story and post it!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #166 on: January 05, 2004, 05:40:09 PM »

CHAT IS OPEN CHAT IS OPEN CHAT IS OPEN
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #167 on: January 05, 2004, 06:21:11 PM »

Been there, done that.  It was boring.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: January 05, 2004, 06:23:26 PM »

Been there, done that?  What was  boring?  Chat?  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #169 on: January 05, 2004, 06:30:53 PM »

Preston Sturges films, such as The Lady Eve and Miracle of Morgan's Creek
Woody Allen films, such as Love & Death and Annie Hall

Two short plays I've only read: Morning by Israel Horovitz and After Magritte by Tom Stoppard

We visited the San Diego Zoo today and are mystified at why it's so famous for being so wonderful.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: January 05, 2004, 06:47:43 PM »

Well, you know Ron, I was just in chat and it was anything but boring.  In fact, it was scintillatingly scintillating.  You're a worse curmudgeon than I am.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: January 05, 2004, 06:54:28 PM »

Noel, how many zoos have you visited in the past?

It's kind of a comparative thing.  Same trip as the photos, for example, der Brucer and I visited a zoo in Munich, which was absolutely wonderful.  

On the other hand, I don't recommend the Fresno Zoo.  You'll all have to trust me on this one.

The National Zoo in DC was less interesting than we'd hoped, save for the lion exhibits, where the lions and tigers were separated from the humans by large moats.  Der Brucer's older grandson, Alex, who was only three at the time, thought those moats were absolutely fascinating...because a family of ducks was swimming in one of them!

I'm not a big zoo fan, personally, because there's really little to do except watch the animals, who are usually too worn out from having nothing to do but watch us all day.  If there was some kind of interaction going on, things might get interesting, but zookeepers usually like to keep track of the diets of those they tend to, and random hands and arms are hard to guage when it comes to calorie intake.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #172 on: January 05, 2004, 07:21:36 PM »

I resemble that remark, BK.

But I tried to stimulate conversation several times, and only two people seemed to want to chat, and they were going on and on about alt-0531, which didn't work for me in chat, so I couldn't add anything or relate to the experiment.

I found myself talking to....myself.

And that's not any fun.

And you weren't there while I was....and we had an unseemly interloper and everything.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: January 05, 2004, 07:44:57 PM »

Yes, I heard there was some dear doctor in there who wouldn't open his yap.  Why DO they bother, I wonder.  I wonder as I wander and I wander as I wonder.  All I know is when I arrived it was quite sparkling in there and all manner of things were discussed.

I got my box set of The Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie and The Leopard Man today.  This particular company does the most beautiful packages, but I'm afraid their transfers aren't quite as good as they should be and vary wildly from disc to disc.  Their Magnificent Ambersons is sadly not good at all.  That said, The Cat People looks pretty good, and I Walked with a Zombie looks even better, but The Leopard Man, while taken from a nice print, is soft throughout.  Still, it's nice to have them on DVD.  There are some scenes from other films they've done box sets on, including Top Hat, which looks a bit soft but not bad at all, and She Wore a Yellow Ribbon, which looks better than its American counterpart on DVD.

td

• td
« Reply #174 on: January 05, 2004, 07:44:57 PM »

I'm going to quickly post to say that I'm a terrible judge of comedy; I go into a theater with a chip on my shoulder the size of Washingtion, which reads, "GO AHEAD - - MAKE ME LAUGH!" So very rare films have made me laugh heartily out loud in theaters, or on home video.  
Those that did, though, are cherce:
DUDE, WHERE'S MY CAR?
MOULIN ROUGE
WHAT'S UP, DOC?
MONTY PYTHON'S MEANING OF LIFE
MONTY PYTHON'S LIFE OF BRIAN
MONTY PYTHON AND THE HOLY GRAIL
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
TOOTSIE
AT LONG LAST LOVE
BRINGING UP BABY
YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN
BLAZING SADDLES
8 LEGGED FREAKS
SINGIN' IN THE RAIN
HERCULES (Disney)
MEN IN TIGHTS
BORN YESTERDAY
THE FIRST NUDIE MUSICAL
LOVE AND DEATH
EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX. . .
ADAM'S RIB
to name but a few.

Onstage:
LUV
THE PRODUCERS
SCARMBLED FEET

And, a special note for all the Dear Readers in and around New York City:

Friday, January 9th at 10:00 pm and Saturday, January 10th at 7:30 pm, Richard Skipper will be presenting his show "Broadway's Grand Dames."  Performing with their own voices as legendary ladies from Broadway & the concert stages are Holli Vest as Tina Turner, Anne Kissel as Roseanne, Janet Fanale and her many voices, and Richard Skipper as Carol Channing. $20
cover, $10 food/drink minimum.

Janet, is of course, the Violet to my Daisy (oh! a SIDE SHOW reference). My best-est friend in the world.  A joy and a treasure.  If you happen to go. . .TELL HER THAT TD SENT YOU!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2004, 07:47:22 PM »

Good evening.

Rehearsal was good.  Short.  And good.  We mainly concentrated on two scenes - and two songs.  They got a lot of new changes and pages over the weekend, and tonight was the first work-through of some of the new material.  Also, the "real" musical director is back from his other gig, and he was trying to get back up to speed - which was very easy.  *And if i get the charts done for the some of the songs by tomorrow, I can actually head back home to Richmond on Wednesday.  YEAH!  So, if I'm errant and truant tomorrow - or even later tonight - you know what I'm doing.

On the way home from dinner, I stopped a middle-Eastern carry-out place - I think it's Pakistani - actually.  I wasn't in the mood for a kabob - although this place does kabobs very well - so I got some curry, a sambosa and a nan (bread).  Sooo good.  And sooo surpringly spicy!  It kind of caught me off guard. Now, I like spicy, and I've food from this place many times, but I did not expect so much cayenne pepper in my food.  It was still very good, just spuh-icy!  -At least I had the coriander-yogurt chutney to cool the heat.

I stopped in the chat for a bit.  Too many Washingtonians.  Isn't there a rule about too many PNW-ers in one place at the same time?  ;)

In any case, chat was fun, but I had to cut in order to catch up my e-mails as well as the posts here on HHW.

So...

I'll check back later...

And, DR Panni, your story literally made me LOL!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2004, 07:55:20 PM »

Oh, and just when I thought I was back on the wagon again... When I walked into rehearsal I noticed two containers on the stage manager's table... Cookies!  And, as I found out, some pretty tasty ones too!  And after some "digging", I found some peanut butter fudge too!  YUM!!!  And they also some of those Amaretto di Saronno cookies!  Needless to say, I probably one cookie too many - well, more like six or seven too many...  Ah, well...  Tomorrow, tomorrow....
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2004, 08:18:06 PM »

Sorry to miss chat; new TV beckoned.

Another of my favorites on stage and screen: THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2004, 08:20:58 PM »

Suggested photo topic for one day: interesting Playbills which we have. Going through those this morning let my eyes fall on Playbills I had forgotten I even had. I'm sure some of you have some old/rare/fun ones, too. Just an idea.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2004, 08:24:57 PM »

DR Jose: those cookies sound good. I think I am actually hungry now. But I think I will pass till tomorrow morning.

Oh and re: those people who are offended when DRs mention their karma loss.  I think those who want to mention it should feel free to do so (it does let others restore it if they want to).

Oh and am I the only one who would rather someone have the guts to say they disagree with me?

Btw, why is it that speaking my mind nicely will most certainly lower my 40 karmas. :)

Oh well. Good night all. Hope you had a good chat and that everyone wakes up on the right side of the bed (except for DR TCB who I bet will say that his bed is against the wall on the right side) :)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up