Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MENTORING ME  (Read 28903 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re:THE MENTORING ME
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2006, 12:52:08 PM »

Have fun George watching the Mikado.. That is one of the GnS operettas I ahve always wanted to see. Love HMS Pinafore.

Has anyone ever seen any of Richard Sheridan Brinsley's works?

Lets put him together correctly:

Richard Brinsley Sheridan (manager, Drury Lane Theatre)

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Cillaliz

« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2006, 12:54:59 PM »

Oh DR CILLA LIZ - when you're meeting up with Scout today, don't forget the Putnam County Playhouse - we're doing TKAM this September and anything that you can get for our display case will be appreciate.  We will of course reimburse you!

Thanks!
You wanted a book signed to the Putman County Playhouse., is that right?  Actually I'm going to have her sign my DVD, so I can have her sign the book for you.  Thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2006, 01:02:08 PM »

You wanted a book signed to the Putman County Playhouse., is that right?  Actually I'm going to have her sign my DVD, so I can have her sign the book for you.  Thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot.

Whatever is handy, DR CILLALIZ....

And of course DR KERRY - your llunch would be with Mother Dolores.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2006, 01:02:30 PM »

Lets put him together correctly:

Richard Brinsley Sheridan (manager, Drury Lane Theatre)

der Brucer

Sorry.....  
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2006, 01:02:48 PM »

How about an Angie dance, DR derBRUCER?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2006, 01:03:12 PM »

MR BK must be having a high old time at the Courts Show!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2006, 01:03:38 PM »

Please feel free to send us some of that rain DR Matt!  We could use it.

We needed it, too. Badly. Right now, it's partly cloudy with some bright sun, and everything looks fresh after a spring rain. I think we may get more later today, however.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2006, 01:03:38 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR SANDRA!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »

oh....a customer.....

Yes DR GINNY THE KING AND ME will be taking place in September....and I would love to have you  and yours at a performance of either show.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2006, 01:08:00 PM »

Is it in the water?

Study: Man Survives Nail-Gun Shooting of 12 Nails to the Head

Friday , April 21, 2006
PORTLAND, Ore. — An Oregon man who went to a hospital complaining of a headache was found to have 12 nails embedded in his skull from a suicide attempt with a nail gun, doctors say.

Surgeons removed the nails with needle-nosed pliers and a drill, and the man survived with no serious lasting effects, according to a report on the medical oddity in the current issue of the Journal of Neurosurgery.

The unidentified 33-year-old man was suicidal and high on methamphetamine last year when he fired the nails — up to 2 inches in length — into his head one by one.

The nails were not visible when doctors first examined the man in the emergency room of an unidentified Oregon hospital a day later. Doctors were surprised when X-rays revealed six nails clustered between his right eye and ear, two below his right ear and four on the left side of his head.

Can someone explain how of "six nails clustered between his right eye and ear" , four end up on the left side of his head.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2006, 01:08:57 PM »

MattH - Thanks for the Aristocats dance.

There will be others at future page dances when I luck into being able to do one.

And I actually started watching THE ARISTOCATS this afternoon after I finished my first video (more on that in the next post). Not inspired Disney but pleasant, and it looks very nice on DVD. I'm not sure I had watched the DVD at all even though I've had it for quite some time.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2006, 01:13:33 PM »

How about an Angie dance, DR derBRUCER?

Well, she spent the last half hour under the desk locked in mortal combat with Fletcher over a faux bone - having finally snatched the bone, she has retreated to her bean bag where she promtly dropped the bone in favor of a rope one. Four months. and already a fickle women!

Marty is now muching on the faux bone and Angie is back under the desk pestering Fletcher. Maybe when she tires (G_d willing) I can get a picture.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2006, 01:14:57 PM »

Began my afternoon with Mae West's GOIN' TO TOWN. This is her one Paramount film I had never seen (I've never seen her COlumbia film THE HEAT'S ON either), and it was an OK follow-up to I'M NO ANGEL, but it's obvious the censors were keeping her in line by 1935.

But the print used for this transfer was not in great shape. There's a fair amount of speckling, some hairline scratches, and some truly shocking print damage during the first race track scene. This was the best print Universal could come up with? A disappointment.

FJL

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »

Not dinner, but we did get to share a cab with Brent Barrett after one of BK's great book readings for WRITER'S BLOCK here in NYC.  (It was quite a star-studded night, IIRC. )

That happened to be on the same day that we had one of the people I'd long wanted to have lunch with, our esteemed BK, over during lunchtime - but BK wouldn't eat anything.

FJL

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »

In honor of Angie:

Different Worlds (Theme from the TV show "Angie")

Chorus:

Let the time flow
Let the love grow
Let the rain shower
Let the rose flower
Love it seeks and love it finds
Love it conquers, love it binds

We come to each other from different worlds
Drawn to each other by the love inside of us
We give to each other our different worlds
Long as we can do it
Life is gonna breeze right through it

(Chorus)

We reach for each other from different worlds
With love for each other that will stand the test of time
We're up to the challenge of different worlds
With this love inside us
There is nothing can divide us

(Chorus)

(Love it seeks and love it finds)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2006, 01:19:12 PM »

Sorry.....  

You must learn "payback" - I misspelled "let's".

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2006, 01:24:01 PM »

That happened to be on the same day that we had one of the people I'd long wanted to have lunch with, our esteemed BK, over during lunchtime - but BK wouldn't eat anything.

Serve him Sauted Fynsworth on toast - he'll eat.

der Brucer

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2006, 01:24:33 PM »

Well, she spent the last half hour under the desk locked in mortal combat with Fletcher over a faux bone - having finally snatched the bone, she has retreated to her bean bag where she promtly dropped the bone in favor of a rope one. Four months. and already a fickle women!

Marty is now muching on the faux bone and Angie is back under the desk pestering Fletcher. Maybe when she tires (G_d willing) I can get a picture.

der Brucer

Animals they can be entertaining...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ben

« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »

Birthday Greetings to our Dear Sandra! Now just get here, girl to see how much we love you  ;D

Kerry dropped by. Hello, Dear Friend (She Loves Me). Hope life is well in Arizona.

I'm about to leave for our friend's 75th Birthday party.

Lunch or Dinner with...

If the person is dead and I could still choose, I would love to have lunch with Mr. Noel Coward on his island and talk about Miss Gertie Lawrence and theatre in NY and London in the 20s and 30s

Alive, hmmm. Judi Dench is high on the list, along with Miss Lansbury (I know both of their calendars are busy with other DRs).

Harold Prince and or Stephen Sondheim (separate meals so I could do both) are also on the list. Lunch w/Sondheim at his townhouse on 49th Street. Dinner with Prince at any place of his choosing.

There are so many, it's hard to choose just one or two.

Off to party.

TPunk and Rod, I'm so glad you enjoyed Drowsy Chaperone  :)

I won't be able to see Lestat until after it opens. This week comin up is a busy one and I know it opens on Tuesday. They are doing good business so it may not matter what the reviews think. A friend of mine who knows someone in the cast said that they don't need to do any papering. The show is on TKTS but otherwise the business is solid and strong.

Later, gaters.

Ben

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2006, 01:33:40 PM »

Before I go, Larry, do you know anything about a song called "The Torpedo and the Whale" The composer's last name is Audran and it's done by the Columbia Stellar Quartette in 1918. Anthony has found a couple of wonderful sites full of old cylinder and 78 recordings and he came across this song. We haven't done much research yet but he thought you might know something. It sounds like a theatre song.

Ant is planning on making a 10-12 disc set of these old recordings he found. I think you might like to hear some of them. He has a couple of tracks from The Lady of the Slipper. You probably know of them. I dion't know which ones they are but he can tell you when he comes over to Toyland for a visit.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2006, 01:45:12 PM »

I would guess the conversation would be about whatever comes up, right?

::)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2006, 01:47:54 PM »

A thoughtful extract from one of Andrew Sullivan's guest bloggers:

Alone Together
22 Apr 2006 02:35 pm

Eating dinner at a bar the other night, I sat next to a sales rep for a company that produces portable home dialysis units. He was drinking pretty hard, celebrating a deal that he'd just closed and telling me how soaring diabetes rates were going to create ever greater demand for his revolutionary product. I thought he was going to propose a toast to kidney failure.

But what bothered me most about our conversation was the streamlined plastic phone device implanted in his right ear and connected via Bluetooth to the Palm Treo lying on the bar in front of him. Every minute or two the earjack would light up, suddenly pulsing white and blue, and I'd forget whatever I was saying to him or whatever he was saying to me. Finally, I asked him what the light was. "That just means the thing's turned on," he said. As he said this, he was looking at his Treo screen, which he did about every thirty or forty seconds. His face changed -- had some important message arrived? Still speaking to me, but without much focus now, he tapped out a line or two of text with his amazingly prehensile thumbs. He'd left the scene, I sensed; he was somewhere else. At headquarters, perhaps. And I'd been placed on hold.

I didn't like it. I never like it. And it happens constantly. I'll be in the middle of what I take to be a sincere human interaction with somebody and they'll start cutting in and out -- checking the Blackberry, texting on the cell phone, stylus-ing the electronic calendar. No apologies, either. No 'excuse mes.' As though a mixture of physical proximity and electronic separation is the accepted new mode of social togetherness. I swear I've seen couples out on dates who speak to each other only when the menu comes, to negotiate their appetizers, and then drift off into conversations with others until the check arrives.

And yet they call it "communications technology."

When the dialysis salesman returned to earth, I committed a faux pas by asking him what he'd just been writing about. I thought I was entitled to ask this question because he'd been conducting his business in front of me. I found out otherwise. He glared at me. What kind of spying busybody was I? The warmth between us never returned and we ate our salads in different universes, staring at the TV behind the bar. The light in his earjack pulsed. I paid my tab. When I left, I mumbled a goodbye, but the salesman didn't acknowledge it. He was tapping on his keys.

--Walter Kirn

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2006, 01:51:22 PM »

ROSEMARY'S PUPPY:

WHERE'D IT GO?

ARE YOU DONE, ALREADY?

der Brucer (the photo software can fix "red eye", but "yellow eye'?)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2006, 01:52:17 PM »

Harold Prince and or Stephen Sondheim (separate meals so I could do both) are also on the list.

..............there is nothing I can add to that.
“One thing’s universal,

MBarnum

« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2006, 01:56:48 PM »

T.O.D.

My second choice would be the WSMA, Brent Barrett, the dinner would be in my hotel suite, and the conversation would be nobody's business but ours.

I am not sure that "Would you like to change into something a bit more comfortable, Mr. Barrett" would be considered a conversation, TCB.

François de Paris

« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2006, 01:58:28 PM »

Before I go, Larry, do you know anything about a song called "The Torpedo and the Whale" The composer's last name is Audran and it's done by the Columbia Stellar Quartette in 1918. Anthony has found a couple of wonderful sites full of old cylinder and 78 recordings and he came across this song. We haven't done much research yet but he thought you might know something. It sounds like a theatre song.

The Torpedo and the Whale
From Olivette
Music by Edmond Audran

I.

In the North sea lived a whale.
In the North sea lived a whale.
In the North sea lived a whale,
Big in bone and huge in tail,
Big in bone and huge in tail,
Oh! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

This whale used unduly to swagger and bully.
And oh! The ladies loved him so!
This whale used unduly to swagger and bully!
And oh! The ladies loved him so!
This whale used unduly to swagger and bully.
And oh! And oh! The ladies loved him so!

II.

All went well until one day.
Came a strange fish in the bay.
Came a strange fish in the bay.
Oh! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The fish was indeed oh!
A Woolwich torpedo. But oh! But oh!
The big whale did not know
This fish was indeed oh!
A Woolwich torpdeo. But oh! But oh!
The big whale did not know!
The Fish was indeed oh!
A Woolwich torpedo but oh! But oh!
The big whale did not know!
III.

"Just you make tracks," cried the whale.
Then he lashed out with his tail.
Then he lashed out with his tail.
Oh! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The fish being loaded,
Then and there exploded, and oh! and oh!
The whale was no mo'!
The fish being loaded,
Then and there exploded. And oh! and oh!
The whale was no mo'!

François de Paris

« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2006, 01:59:54 PM »

Les Noces d'Olivette (opéra comique; Book and lyrics by Henri Chivot/Alfred Duru) 1879 Paris: as Olivette (English book and lyrics by Henry B. Farnie) Bijou Opera House, New York 25 December, 1880.

François de Paris

« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »

Edmond Audran says:

Joyeux Anniversaire Sandra!

François de Paris

« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2006, 02:03:37 PM »

..............there is nothing I can add to that.

Obvioulsy!! :D

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2006, 02:10:44 PM »

I am not sure that "Would you like to change into something a bit more comfortable, Mr. Barrett" would be considered a conversation, TCB.

Are you kidding?  Not before I had bolted the door.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up