Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BEGINNING OF THE END  (Read 27671 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE BEGINNING OF THE END
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2006, 07:39:44 PM »

And on that note (E#),

And what the F is an E#?  

I'm back from OH, LADY! LADY! which felt like OY! LADY! LADY!  There were good performances from several of the leading ladies and the second leading man and comedian, but the show suffered from the McGlinn need to shove every song, including all the cut ones, back into the libretto.  It wasn't a McGlinn performance but he did it better in 1985 for the Jerome Kern centenary.  Of course, McGlinn's cast in 1985, with orchestra, included Judy Kaye, George Dvorsky, Ron Raines, Alix Korey, David Garrison, Paula Laurence and others.  

The book, which is a funny drawing room comedy, wasn't played too well tonight, the battleaxe mother knew she was funny (oy!) and rather than doing the original version of "Bill" cut from OH, LADY! LADY!, they performed the 1928 rewrite from SHOW BOAT.  The musical director added lots of harmonies, so often the unfamiliar tunes were covered by the alternate lines.  It should have been better.

I'm all packed, and I'm ready to go.  I'll stop in before I leave around 11 am.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2006, 07:42:56 PM »

I'm all packed, and I'm ready to go.  I'll stop in before I leave around 11 am.

Have a smooth trip, DR Elmore.  Get in touch when you can - I'll be home sometime Saturday evening.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2006, 07:44:16 PM »

Oh, DR Elmore - I was delayed leaving work today because of a surprise phone call from a long-lost friend:  sister of Papa Gant/Don Quixote/El Gallo.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2006, 07:45:09 PM »

I see DR Cillaliz - how was  your journey?

Ginny

« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2006, 07:45:34 PM »

I also see DR George - how are you feeling?

Ginny

« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2006, 07:47:55 PM »

Have a great trip, Ms Chauffeur.  ;D

Thanks, DR JRand.  It'll be different from last week's, when I was by myself.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2006, 07:49:10 PM »

I also see DR George - how are you feeling?

A little better, thanks.  I'm watching a tape of last night's "South Park."  Anyway, I plan to take a very hot shower before I go to bed (at the house where I'm house-sitting).  That should help even more. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2006, 07:53:46 PM »

And what the F is an E#?  

It's in the key of ME! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Cillaliz

« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2006, 07:58:36 PM »

Hi - flights were fine, but when I landed  it was hot as hell in Philadelphia!  I was very surprised.  I thought it was going to be cooler this week.  I'm very tired and must get some sleep. I'll write more tomorrow.

MBarnum

« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2006, 08:00:15 PM »

Have a good trip Elmore! Will you be able to post from there?

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2006, 08:06:32 PM »

Yes all LOST fans know Rose!  
I really like her and it was extremely moving when she was reunited with Bernard!
Also the island seems to have cured her (she had some illness and was going to die).

Thanks for the info DR Jennifer (and Matt, et al.)... Scotty Caldwell is a lovely woman and a really fine actress. And has, I hope, a sense of humor about someone who is supposed to be her friend not knowing that she has a major role in one of the most popular shows on television!
She's had a lot of tragedy in her life this past year, so it's great that she's got something fun (and lucrative) going on in her career.

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2006, 08:07:56 PM »

Bon Voyage, DR Elmore!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2006, 08:12:22 PM »

Hi - flights were fine, but when I landed  it was hot as hell in Philadelphia!  I was very surprised.  I thought it was going to be cooler this week.  I'm very tired and must get some sleep. I'll write more tomorrow.

Welcome to the city of Brotherly Love, DR Cillaliz!

If you think it was hot in town today, you should be here when there's humidity.  Oy!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2006, 08:13:42 PM »

! ! ! ! !  TRAVEL EVE VIBES FOR DR ELMORE  ! ! ! ! !
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #224 on: May 04, 2006, 08:14:35 PM »

Glad you had a safe flight Cilla...

Have a safe journey Elmore....

I am hoping I can log in from home... I have been unable to since Wednesday morning.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #225 on: May 04, 2006, 08:15:40 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~Safe Travelling Vibage for DR Elmore!!~~~[/move]

Cillaliz

« Reply #226 on: May 04, 2006, 08:30:26 PM »

Welcome to the city of Brotherly Love, DR Cillaliz!

If you think it was hot in town today, you should be here when there's humidity.  Oy!

It was a 1776 reference.  DTM, I really should have asked you about getting together while I'm here. I may have some time tomorrow during the day or Saturday afternoon. I'll IM you my cell phone. Sorry for the late notice, but I sort of spaced off that you were here in Philly

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #227 on: May 04, 2006, 08:37:56 PM »

Hiya, Kidz!

Just about to head outa here... Motel 6 bed in Redding, CA SUCKS!!! But the free coffee gives me quite a nice buzzzzz...

TOD - probably several Art House Movies... does UNBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG count? I remember seeing that when I was about 17 years old. I was quite taken with it.

And MY DINNER WITH ANDRE. I was captivated. Two guys, having dinner and talking about the Meaning of Life.

I liked WHAT THE (BLEEP) DO WE KNOW, in spite of the rather low production values...

You see how my taste runs to the mystical and mythical...

Well, Jane, see you around 11:30 or noon. Laters, gators!!

I saw WHAT THE BLEEP DO WE KNOW? last year at the recommendation of my social work supervisor.  I like it, especially the bit about the water.  And then I found out that it was entirely financed by what appears to be a cult so I added a grain of salt to the mix, but I still think it has a lot of value.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #228 on: May 04, 2006, 08:43:27 PM »

From an LP that DR Rodzinski ought to own!

We don't have anymore room!!!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #229 on: May 04, 2006, 08:52:27 PM »

I was able to watch last night's CSI: NY before tonight's prime time shows came on. A "mermaid" was found dead in the East River. OK case, but not as fascinating as some have been.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #230 on: May 04, 2006, 08:53:30 PM »

Just finished last night's Alias - any logic has completely flown out the window (well, the last two years has been that way) and, as I said last week, their pathetic attempts to bring back every character and plot device is, well, pathetic.  Has any character in television history had more major loyalty shifts than Arvin Sloane?  I mean, it's PATHETIC!

I haven't watched Alias since before the hiatus.  I totally f'ed up recording the last few episodes so I am just going to wait for season 5 to come out on dvd.  Overall, I am disappointed.  Sorry for the language folks but tonight has been a series of glasses of wine.

Matt H.

« Reply #231 on: May 04, 2006, 08:55:51 PM »

SMALLVILLE had an exciting episode,

spoiler - - - - - - - - - - - - -

but I guessed "Jonathan's" identity before it was revealed. He would NEVER tell his son to murder anyone no matter how bad the person was.

Matt H.

« Reply #232 on: May 04, 2006, 08:58:47 PM »

SUPERNATURAL kept me riveted, too.

But just exsactly when did the cliffhanger mentality begin to affect the making of TV shows with their season ending episode? I mean, if (God forbid) SUPERNATURAL doesn't get renewed, we're going to be left with that final image forever.

Like fans of the show wouldn't come back to it next fall unless there was the threat of something awful befalling our heroes? PLEASE!

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2006, 09:00:12 PM »

So breaking up is hard to do.  I have spent the past month preparing my kids for the fact that I will be leaving next week.  But it really just sucks.  There  is no easy way to leave behind a child who has come to depend on you for the past 8 months.  And as much as I am looking forward to ending this internship and having some time to unwind, I am having a really hard time saying good bye to my kids.  Monday is my last day. :(

Matt H.

« Reply #234 on: May 04, 2006, 09:00:25 PM »

WITHOUT A TRACE had a really suspenseful and sad episode, too, with a family on the run. One of the show's best episodes in a while, and the ending was especially gratifying.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2006, 09:00:49 PM »

Matt, I need to rewatch an eppie from season 1 but i am confused by something in it. I just got season 2 from a freind of Smallville. This is the first time i have ever seen it.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2006, 09:02:12 PM »

And before I shut off the TV, I played tonight's WILL & GRACE episode.

For me, there was not a single laugh to be had. The very essence of "phoning it in."

Matt H.

« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2006, 09:04:25 PM »

Matt, I need to rewatch an eppie from season 1 but i am confused by something in it. I just got season 2 from a freind of Smallville. This is the first time i have ever seen it.

The early seasons had too much teen angst/puppy love for me, but then, I am as far from the target audience for the WB as it's possible to be.

I like the show more now that the teens are growing up and facing more grown-up problems. Doesn't mean there still isn't angst, of course, but it's not as prominent now.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 09:05:02 PM by Matt H. »

FJL

« Reply #238 on: May 04, 2006, 09:08:01 PM »

Computer program problem solved at work on a big project, plus another complex project that had been weighing on me to get done before I go away to San Diego next Wednesday has been rendered moot - at least temporarily - by the expected repeal of Florida's intangibles tax (on bonds and stocks and such).  So my weekend, while there will be some work, might not be as abd as I expected tax-work-wise.  

I feel like TPunk's avatar, in spirit if not in age.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2006, 09:10:56 PM »

So breaking up is hard to do.  I have spent the past month preparing my kids for the fact that I will be leaving next week.  But it really just sucks.  There  is no easy way to leave behind a child who has come to depend on you for the past 8 months.  And as much as I am looking forward to ending this internship and having some time to unwind, I am having a really hard time saying good bye to my kids.  Monday is my last day. :(

Just like in "There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom."   :(
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up