Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POINT  (Read 46876 times)

Ginny

Re:THE POINT
« Reply #420 on: May 24, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »

Is that the chain store Panera?  If so I had a delicious chocolate chip cookie at the one near Craig' new apartment.  

Yes, it's the chain, which is very popular around here.  When I left home about 11:30 this morning and told my DH and DS that my day would end with a meeting there, they said, "We want breakfast pastries."  I brought home 3 bear claws (topped with almonds and a light orange icing), a blueberry muffin, a pumpkin muffin, and a cranberry-orange muffin.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #421 on: May 24, 2007, 05:21:11 PM »

Ginny-Tough break for DS Rob!  At least he didn’t miss finals.  Does he receive some kind of grade or just credits for his co-op job?  Do you mean taking the last quarter off or the summer quarter?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #422 on: May 24, 2007, 05:22:37 PM »

I'm watching the first episode of UGLY BETTY, which I've never seen.  My god! the late Faye looks just like Anna Wintour.  I loved it.

I'm reeling at the moment from an email I just received from Kay Swift's granddaughter whom I met working on the FINE & DANDY recording.  I hadn't seen her since the sessions in 2004, and there was a reading of the show a couple of weeks ago.  I had been hurt that I wasn't invited to the reading, so I asked how it went and how surprised I was that I hadn't been invited.  I got a reply this evening saying that I was unwelcome at the reading; I had complained about payment in 2004 and pissed everyone off.  

Well, since Local 802 guarantees its members payment on recording within a certain amount of time, we were neither paid within the time limit nor advised there would be a delay.  For us self-employed folk, we're dependent upon payment within the deadlines and I got tired of calling 802 asking if a check had arrived.  Since the events happened in 2004, I have little memory now except the phone calls asking about payment.  Since I was never aware of any resentment this caused for three years, I was caught totally unprepared.  I still feel that I did no wrong: I gave them excellent work at last minute literally, and I was paid late.  And they're pissed?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #423 on: May 24, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »

I thought he said my ass was in retrograde.

We won't know really until the autopsy.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #424 on: May 24, 2007, 05:36:11 PM »

elmore are you sure they aren't related to Mrs. Macbeth?  They should be embarrassed, not angry.

Ginny

« Reply #425 on: May 24, 2007, 05:40:31 PM »

Ginny-Tough break for DS Rob!  At least he didn’t miss finals.  Does he receive some kind of grade or just credits for his co-op job?  Do you mean taking the last quarter off or the summer quarter?

No grades for co-op, it's a paying job.  No paid sick-leave, though, so he'll miss out on making some money.  This is the end of spring quarter, of which he's missed about 2 weeks.  It's summer quarter he's considering taking off completely.  We're just thankful this didn't hit him in an academic quarter (fall and winter for him, when he takes classes).
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #426 on: May 24, 2007, 05:41:44 PM »

elmore are you sure they aren't related to Mrs. Macbeth?  They should be embarrassed, not angry.

No, they're being petty.  I now have no wish to work any more with them.

Jane

« Reply #427 on: May 24, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »

elmore-It's a shame they have to be that way.  Their loss.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:45:42 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #428 on: May 24, 2007, 05:53:21 PM »

Ginny-Do I have it straight that the job is part of a work expierence related to getting his degree?

Are those bear claws filled with loads of almond paste?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #429 on: May 24, 2007, 05:59:55 PM »

elmore-It's a shame they have to be that way.  Their loss.

A side of me feels that way, too, but being dumped for any reason when you know your work is good still hurts.

Maybe it's the depression I'm in, but every day feels like trying to roll boulders uphill for folk who don't give a hoot in hell.

Ginny

« Reply #430 on: May 24, 2007, 06:09:14 PM »

Ginny-Do I have it straight that the job is part of a work expierence related to getting his degree?

He's in his 3rd year of a 5-year program in which spring/summer of the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years are work quarters.  He did manage to tell us last night that it's his understanding that one can miss up to 2 quarters of co-op and still graduate on time (which I don't understand.

Are those bear claws filled with loads of almond paste?

I'll have to get back to you on this one after breakfast tomorrow!

Ginny

« Reply #431 on: May 24, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »

But we still love you, dear DR Elmore  :-* !

Ginny

« Reply #432 on: May 24, 2007, 06:13:02 PM »

Oh, DR Elmore, the ill-fated production in which you were cast as Flute must have been before I moved here.

Jane

« Reply #433 on: May 24, 2007, 06:23:32 PM »

elmore, it would hurt and right now you are still dealing with the loss of your father, the estate & your hurtful brother.  Your coping resources are pretty much used up.  They will return & you will eventually feel better.  

Just keep reminding yourself “this will pass” & “I will get through this”.  And remember, Nursie loves you. :)

Jane

« Reply #434 on: May 24, 2007, 06:24:40 PM »

My wireless laptop has a problem staying connected.  I just had to restart the computer so I could post.  This only happens about ten times a day-very annoying.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #435 on: May 24, 2007, 06:28:24 PM »

elmore, it would hurt and right now you are still dealing with the loss of your father, the estate & your hurtful brother.  Your coping resources are pretty much used up.  They will return & you will eventually feel better.  

Just keep reminding yourself “this will pass” & “I will get through this”.  And remember, Nursie loves you. :)

And I love Nurse Jane and DR ginny and everyone on this site!  I'm fortunate to have such good shoulders to cry on.

I had a good time with our DR Jose this afternoon.  HOT FUZZ was as much fun today as yesterday.  I cannot recommend it enough.  I'll let DR Jose tell you all abouty our peculiar and inept dining experience this evening.  Oy!

BK, your package arrived today.  Many many thanks!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #436 on: May 24, 2007, 06:28:26 PM »

Good Evening!

Back from the movie - it's amazing how well "Hot Fuzz" held up on a repeated viewing.

Back from dinner - The food was tasty, but the service was lacking - surprisingly so. *I still think we should have just walked out, DR elmore.  No one would have noticed.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #437 on: May 24, 2007, 06:29:35 PM »

He did manage to tell us last night that it's his understanding that one can miss up to 2 quarters of co-op and still graduate on time

I hope he has that in writing.  But this co-op he had to leave early still counts & he still has two more he can miss?

I will be watching for the bear claw report.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #438 on: May 24, 2007, 06:29:52 PM »

My wireless laptop has a problem staying connected.  I just had to restart the computer so I could post.  This only happens about ten times a day-very annoying.

Hmm... Sounds like something isn't configured properly.  Or maybe you're just spending too much time on HHW.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #439 on: May 24, 2007, 06:39:21 PM »

Have we discussed this before:  I just watched the first episode of UGLY BETTY - is there some balancing factor which makes it OK for a show to have such a negative stereotype of a gay character as Ms. Williams' assistant?  The show is obviously highly regarded, but this "bitchy queen" portrayal, combined with what i saw of the (possibly gay???) little boy turning out in the most recent weeks to pretty much poison someone to get a part in a school play, makes me wonder how this show gets away with it.  If a show is well written and is of high quality, does it make such negative portrayals acceptable?

Jane

« Reply #440 on: May 24, 2007, 06:42:07 PM »

Hmm... Sounds like something isn't configured properly.  Or maybe you're just spending too much time on HHW.  ;)

Keith said he didn't have any problems while I was in Pittsburgh.  I know I'm spending too much time here, I should be out walking. ;)

Jane

« Reply #441 on: May 24, 2007, 06:45:43 PM »

I must have missed the episode of the nephew trying to poison someone, most of the time he is a fun kid.  

The assistant does have some endearing qualities.  He is a good friend to the girl at the front desk. :-\

We tired of the show half way through the second season.

Ginny

« Reply #442 on: May 24, 2007, 06:49:16 PM »

I must rest up for my last day of work before my 4-day weekend.

'night!

FJL

« Reply #443 on: May 24, 2007, 06:51:20 PM »

SPOILER - UGLY BETTY SEASON FINALE FROM LAST WEEK

The kid (who was the understudy for the lead in the school show) gave the guy playing the lead nuts even though the lead had an allergy to nuts.  Of course, the kid ended up going on in the role.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #444 on: May 24, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »

Back from a wonderful meeting with the president of LACC and the news is most excellent - our show is funded.  He found a way to do it so it's all coming from one place, and it's being given to us, so that all the actual proceeds from the event go right into our coffers without any deductions.

FJL

« Reply #445 on: May 24, 2007, 06:53:37 PM »

Maybe "pretty much poison" was too strong, but it seems evil to me to give someone with an allergy the very thing to which they're allergic.

Jane

« Reply #446 on: May 24, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »

Maybe "pretty much poison" was too strong, but it seems evil to me to give someone with an allergy the very thing to which they're allergic.

No it wasn't and I'm glad I stopped watching the show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #447 on: May 24, 2007, 06:55:07 PM »

I then drove to the Academy, got there at five-fifteen only to be told they were closed and wouldn't open until six-thirty, at which time I'd have to stand in line to BUY tickets and then stand in another line to get in.  I passed.  I'm very weird about this stuff, and I like to go in when the doors open and I like to be at the front of the line and I like to sit where I like to sit.  So, without knowing how many people were going to be there, and knowing there was an invitational reception for 100 people beforehand (Nick Redman wormed his way into that by going as the guest of an invitee), I just got antsy and left.

Jane

« Reply #448 on: May 24, 2007, 06:55:14 PM »

Bruce, great news!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #449 on: May 24, 2007, 06:55:20 PM »

Will we never get to page sixteen?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19   Go Up