Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21   Go Down

Author Topic: NIGH UNTO IMPOSSIBLE  (Read 57250 times)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
Re:NIGH UNTO IMPOSSIBLE
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2007, 12:08:29 PM »

Lowe is wonderful in "The Stand"...and the older he gets, the more he grows into his looks.  I see years and years ahead of Lowe as a matinee idol...

I always thought of him as kind of a bimbo...the sex tape he made here in Atlanta with that teenage girl has probably colored my opinion of him a bit. I'll have to check out THE STAND--I loved the book.

But when I think of Lowe, I just think of that dreadful St. Elmo speech, and the stuff he's done for TNT, like Salem's Lot, which had very flat readings  (watching him in dailies was downright painful.) He may be one of those actors who does best with a strong director. Didn't he quit West Wing because his character was supposed to be the star but was overshadowed by the more talented cast? (I didn't keep up with that show..)

But I agree, he is very handsome and definitely matinee idol material. And I did enjoy his duet with Snow Wihte!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »

Mona Washbourne plays Camille's mother and she is wonderful; I think my only memory of her is Mrs Pierce in the film of MY FAIR LADY.

The last time I saw her was as Nanny Hawkins in "Brideshead Revisited", but she's much more memorable from "My Fair Lady."
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #182 on: June 04, 2007, 12:09:47 PM »

Call me dumber than a bag of hair today! I'm all dressed up to see the orthopedist, ready to take a bus trip, and I see that it's scheduled for this time tomorrow.  Well, duh!

Didn't you miss a similar appointment a few weeks ago?  We're all going to have to chip in and buy you a calendar!  [and not Marie's, either!]     :)

singdaw

« Reply #183 on: June 04, 2007, 12:10:50 PM »

And I did enjoy his duet with Snow White!

;D

Edisaurus

« Reply #184 on: June 04, 2007, 12:11:30 PM »

Page 7 dance: There's no business like Snow business"
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #185 on: June 04, 2007, 12:11:50 PM »

Everyone going to the doctor and the vet.....and me staying home.

DR ELMORE I remember enjoying THERESE RAQUIN very much.  So it is available on DVD?

It is,and I'm adding it to my DeepDiscount order which so far includes COUSIN BETTE, THE BELLE OF AMHERST and the first season of SLINGS AND ARROWS.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #186 on: June 04, 2007, 12:12:08 PM »

Never fear....Nicole Ritchie (sp?) is still working the streets.

Yep...

Paris' sister has been quiet.. Maybe she will step up
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

« Reply #187 on: June 04, 2007, 12:13:18 PM »

Oh no! He's gone to the dark side!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #188 on: June 04, 2007, 12:13:25 PM »

Rob Lowe is so-o-o much more interesting to me as an actor than Rob Morrow, who was good in "Northern Exposure" but certainly not the best thing about it,  Janine Turner was my favorite, followed by the phenomenal supporting cast, including John Cullum and the actors playing Ed, Chris in the Morning, Shelley and the lady who ran the general store.

Lowe is wonderful in "The Stand"...and the older he gets, the more he grows into his looks.  I see years and years ahead of Lowe as a matinee idol...if not in movies, then certainly on TV.  He's totally wonderful in "Brothers and Sisters."  Again, IMO.

;D

That is probably it is and my groggy brain came up with Rob Morrow. .
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Edisaurus

« Reply #189 on: June 04, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »

Politically, that is...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #190 on: June 04, 2007, 12:15:37 PM »

Ironically, I have never understood the local public telly station's rationale back in the late 80s of broadcasting THE RISE AND FALL OF REGINALD PERRIN. The opening credits had a guy running butt naked on a beach.

My roommate and I nearly fell off our beds..
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:16:20 PM by DakotaCelt »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #191 on: June 04, 2007, 12:15:52 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Paris Hilton's replacement?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

singdaw

« Reply #192 on: June 04, 2007, 12:16:02 PM »

This Just In!
My library has a book by Tarzan:

Your Acquisitions team is a little slow...that book was published in the 1930's!   ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #193 on: June 04, 2007, 12:17:13 PM »

I always thought of him as kind of a bimbo...the sex tape he made here in Atlanta with that teenage girl has probably colored my opinion of him a bit. I'll have to check out THE STAND--I loved the book.

But when I think of Lowe, I just think of that dreadful St. Elmo speech, and the stuff he's done for TNT, like Salem's Lot, which had very flat readings  (watching him in dailies was downright painful.) He may be one of those actors who does best with a strong director. Didn't he quit West Wing because his character was supposed to be the star but was overshadowed by the more talented cast? (I didn't keep up with that show..)

But I agree, he is very handsome and definitely matinee idol material. And I did enjoy his duet with Snow Wihte!

Frankly, I used to detest Lowe.  In his "pretty" days he would also flash a smile in lieu of drawing on any innate acting talent.

But when he did "The Stand", I saw a different Rob Lowe.  I think most folks who follow him would point to that performance (Nick Andros) as a turning point that resurrected a flagging career.

In "The West Wing", I don't think it was so much a "star turn" he was expecting as he expected the writers to develop his character as the seasons passed and they went in different direction.  They were fighting sagging ratings as well, and played up other characters.  This, in Lowe's eyes, was not what he'd been promised would happen.  I always understood the departure to be on friendly terms.

Rob Morrow held out for higher salary on "Northern Exposure" at a time when the show was enjoying good ratings.  He alienated most of the other cast members who also had contracts but didn't think they were more special than anyone else.  I realize his character was the anchor of the plot, but "he" wasn't more interesting or important than the other characters, IMO.  When he walked away from the show (again, with the show doing well, and only after four seasons, IIRC) he did so to capitalize on better career opportunities (i.e., "The Quiz Show").  The movie was critically well received, but did nothing at the box office and his career fizzled just as quickly as did David Caruso's when he left "NYPD Blue" after only one season.

"Northern Exposure," sadly, did not survive his departure the way "NYPD Blue" survived Caruso's.  The character was replaced "badly", IMO.  The writers, without a Joel, had to tap dance, and found they had two left feet.  There was no one left for Janine Turner to have sarcastic badinage with and that was a charm of the show...seeing her put the little pisher in his place each week.

That remake of "Salem's Lot" WAS a turkey.  I don't think any actor could have saved it.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:20:23 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #194 on: June 04, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »

Didn't Mona Washbourne play the dotty mother in STEVIE with Glenda Jackson?  I think she was nommed for an Oscar for that.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #195 on: June 04, 2007, 12:19:14 PM »

Your Acquisitions team is a little slow...that book was published in the 1930's!   ;)

Oh, DR Singdaw, from the looks of it, the book has been here from its publication date.  My cubicle neighbor, who's weeding in that area, just came across it.  The sad thing is, she showed it to our very young assistant manager and he didn't know the significance.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2007, 12:19:36 PM »

Lowe was not bad in West Wing but I did prefer some of the other characters.

I did not mind Morrow in Northern Exposure but I actually enjoyed some of the other characters more.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2007, 12:19:51 PM »

Salem's Lot was pathetic at best

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #198 on: June 04, 2007, 12:20:40 PM »

I know who he is... He was an olympic swimmer and I think he won a medal if I remember reading right.

singdaw

« Reply #199 on: June 04, 2007, 12:20:56 PM »

Mona Washbourne

GRATUITOUS POST!

Washbourne abs:

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #200 on: June 04, 2007, 12:21:08 PM »

Didn't Mona Washbourne play the dotty mother in STEVIE with Glenda Jackson?  I think she was nommed for an Oscar for that.

Yes...but wasn't she an "aunt" rather than a mother?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #201 on: June 04, 2007, 12:33:35 PM »

Yes...but wasn't she an "aunt" rather than a mother?

Yep, and it appears that she nor Glenda Jackson were Oscar nominated.  I could have sworn that they were, though.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: June 04, 2007, 12:42:57 PM »

Everyone going to the doctor and the vet.....and me staying home.

DR ELMORE I remember enjoying THERESE RAQUIN very much.  So it is available on DVD?

2-DVD set.  It's quite wonderful and the supporting cast is excellent: Alan Rickman and Christopher Benjamin from the Royal Shakespeare NICHOLAS NICKLEBY.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #203 on: June 04, 2007, 12:43:36 PM »

his career fizzled just as quickly as did David Caruso's when he left "NYPD Blue" after only one season.

Isn't NUMB3RS supposed to be a good show? (I keep forgetting to watch it.)

Well, at least he has contributed a string of good healthy restaurants to NY for when his career tanks.

Rob Lowe is from Charlottesville (my former home town), so I'll give him a second chance and try to find a copy of THE STAND. (Was that a TV movie or theatrical?)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #204 on: June 04, 2007, 12:49:13 PM »

I shall have to order THERESE RAQUIN from DD as well.....  So this is the uncut British version, eh?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: June 04, 2007, 12:49:13 PM »

I looked her up on DVD and she did.  I've never seen STEVIE, but she's also in one of my favorite Hammer films, THE BRIDES OF DRACULA with the late great Martita Hunt.  Gotta drag it out of storage!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #206 on: June 04, 2007, 12:49:50 PM »

Martita Hunt was also great in BONJOUR TRISTESSE.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: June 04, 2007, 12:52:40 PM »

Oh, DR Singdaw, from the looks of it, the book has been here from its publication date.  My cubicle neighbor, who's weeding in that area, just came across it.  The sad thing is, she showed it to our very young assistant manager and he didn't know the significance.

Johnny Weissmuller was the inspiration for Charles Rauschmiller (AKA Mowgli) in the Cole Porter misical JUBILEE!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:56:18 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #208 on: June 04, 2007, 12:53:17 PM »

I shall have to order THERESE RAQUIN from DD as well.....  So this is the uncut British version, eh?

Literally!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #209 on: June 04, 2007, 12:55:46 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21   Go Up