Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE JUGGLING JEW  (Read 34449 times)

singdaw

Re:THE JUGGLING JEW
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2007, 06:01:54 AM »

DR MBarnum - It sounds like your DVR may be full

Is that a euphemism?    ::)

singdaw

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2007, 06:02:54 AM »

supercallipygianisticexpialidocious.

;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2007, 06:06:58 AM »

DR Matt H, THE UNINVITED is both one of my favorite 1940s novels and favorite ghost films.  Cornelia Otis Sknner is the most demented repressed lesbians since Judith Anderson's housekeeper in REBECCA. I guess Bob Osborne's idea of a crazy dyke is Hope Emerson.

I meant to comment last night on THE UNINVITED:  I've seen this movie a couple of times since it's been in TCM rotation the past few years, but it wasn't until Robert Osbourn and his co-host brought it up last night that I ever realized that Skinner's character was a lesbian (but then again, I do have incredibly bad gaydar.)  Now I also find it laughable that both Osbourn and his gay co-host found this to be a stretch of the imagination.  Sheesh--of course, she's a lesbian!

In any case, I never understood why this character was in the film to begin with.  She's really an unnecessary red herring in a fine ghost story that doesn't need such a distraction.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2007, 06:07:47 AM »

Loved all the photos I am seeing...

OHOP....DR MUSIC and DR SANDRA and the Swedish Chef Hat....

BROADWAY BARES....interesting.  DR JOSE your friends certainly have sharp features.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2007, 06:08:01 AM »

I am excited about seeing the book cover.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2007, 06:12:56 AM »

BTW (Bicycling To Wales, in internet lingo), today is the 45th anniversary of the release of THE MUSIC MAN movie!

Shipoopi!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2007, 06:25:34 AM »

Spelled backward...

IPOOPIHS!

:)

singdaw

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2007, 06:27:40 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2007, 06:31:28 AM »

supercallipygianisticexpialidocious.

;D

Ditto!

Michael

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2007, 06:32:32 AM »

Eaux d'artifice
Un chien andalou
the dream sequence from Spellbound
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2007, 06:43:54 AM »

More TOD:

I sort of think that W. C. Fields' NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK is on the surreal side.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Fields puffed on a few dutchies coming up with this one.
-- Anaïs Nin

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2007, 06:50:52 AM »

I'd agree with that, Dan about SUCKER.

Other TOD:
L'AGE D'OR
LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD
CAREFUL

Ginny

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 07:00:24 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings.  I am at work.  That is all.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 07:03:33 AM »

I did not watch THE UNINVITED last night, as I have it on several tapes, own and have read the book, and back in the nineties wrote a script for an intended remake which never happened for several reasons I won't go into here.  But oddly enough, I had an email conversation last week with Bob Osbourne (who I know ever so slightly through mutual friends) where we discussed it...as I was inquiring as to why they showed some Paramount pictures (such as THE UNINVITED) and not others (such as star of the month Ida Lupino's great performance in THE LIGHT THAT FAILED).  It all has to do with what package they've currently rented from Paramount.  Anyway, in my email I mentioned that I had gone back to the book for my remake, emphasizing the part of the sister and that I had been "a tad more overt with the lesbian touches in the Cornelia Otis Skinner character...though God knows, she was pretty overt in the original movie."

Like you, Larry, I really admire the book and the movie.  One of the problems with remaking it is the original is quite good and John Huston's admonition echoes in one's brain:" Why do they always remake our good movies; why don't they remake our bad ones."

Still I thought I had an interesting take on the film that was probably more faithful to the book than the movie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2007, 07:10:32 AM »

Raining here today, finally.

We had some good auditioners last night....but we do not yet have a Luisa....hopefully there are some prospects coming in tonight.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2007, 07:10:36 AM »

WOD:  I didn't know that there was a word for that!!   :P

Is this why one watches baseball?   ;)

It's the only reason I would any more. My uncle (the one who took us to NYC on all those trips) was a baseball junkie, so I spent many an hour at Yankee Stadium and the old Polo Grounds (before the Mets moved). The uniforms the players wear now certainly point up the physical prowess of many of these wonderful athletes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2007, 07:14:05 AM »

DR MBarnum:

Doesn't your Tivo have an option to save shows unless you manually delete them? My DVR certainly does. I still have the Winter Olympics ladies short and long programs on mine from February 2006. I keep meaning to dub the performances I want to a DVD, but I never seem to get around to it.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 07:17:18 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2007, 07:16:01 AM »

Good Morning! Once Again...

Well...  So far, 180+ people are signed up.  Alas, that means we're going to have to "type out".  One of the biz's unfortunate necessary evils.

But, at least we have a nice turnout of folks.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2007, 07:18:15 AM »

Glad to read all these comments about THE UNINVITED. I had never seen it before, and I enjoyed it thoroughly (and Ray Milland isn't one of my favorite actors).

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2007, 07:23:01 AM »

One of the most baffling movies I ever watched was a Polish film called BARRIER which was shown in a film studies class I took back in the 1970s. Though it had incredible images, the story seemed a hopeless muddle and the symbolism beyond my comprehension. The movie got shown on an ETV station several times over the course of a month, and after watching it quite a few times, I could finally piece together its story.

In certain ways, it took me several viewings of 2001 for me to understanding its story, too. Some films just can't be grasped in one sitting. I don't know if that's an inherent weakness in the film or not, but I certainly took my time figuring out both of these movies.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2007, 07:26:05 AM »

Looking forward to LUCY/MAME this afternoon. The laserdisc had very solid colors and good clarity for a laserdisc (clarity in all scenes that don't feature close-ups of Lucy, that is). I hope Warners did right by the film, flawed though it no doubt is.

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2007, 07:27:27 AM »

I didn't erase THE CLOSER from the DVR last night, so I may rewatch it, too. That, along with ENTOURAGE, STUDIO 60, and NANCY DREW REPORTER should make up the bulk of my viewing today.

And LIFE ON THE D-LIST, of course, this evening unless I decide to record it and watch it sans commercials tomorrow.

FJL

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2007, 07:28:33 AM »

I already got lots of work done, and it's only 10:30.  that's different!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2007, 07:34:26 AM »

Good morning dear Esteemed, busy, juggled, and plotzed BK --

I want the new mystery to be released EARLIER than this Fall !!  That is poopy to know about it, anticipate it, and then have to wait that long. :(

But congratulations on finishing up yet another of your creations in print!  You deserve a hickey!

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2007, 07:36:59 AM »

Good Morning! Once Again...

Well...  So far, 180+ people are signed up.  Alas, that means we're going to have to "type out".  One of the biz's unfortunate necessary evils.

But, at least we have a nice turnout of folks.

A wonderful good morning to dear DR Jose..... of the nimble digits and stretched obliques!

Damn child, your pinkies are gonna be tired by the end of today... to say nothing of your back.  I send you "shoulder-rub vibes" throughout the day.   8)   ;)

Ginny

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2007, 07:42:13 AM »

BK - Here's what my library's material selection policy says about young adult literature:

"YOUNG ADULT COLLECTION
Adolescence is the transitional age from childhood to maturity and an experimental stage during which young people investigate a wide variety of interests. Young adults may use a wider range of library materials than any other age group. While the entire collection is available to the young adult, the library recognizes that certain materials have a special appeal or message for this group. Some items are purchased only for the young adult collection. However, many items found here are duplicated in the children's collection, in the adult collection, or in both.

The young adult collection includes recreational reading, including fiction and non-fiction, paperbacks, magazines, and graphic novels (comic book format), particularly appropriate to adolescents ages 12 through 18. It is not intended to be a comprehensive collection serving all the needs and interests of young adults, nor is it the library's intention that young adults should be confined to the use of this material.

Materials are selected for this collection to broaden the horizons of young adults and help them to cope with the problems of adolescence. To fulfill these needs, the collection will inevitably include materials on controversial topics...."

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2007, 07:42:31 AM »

A wonderful good morning to dear DR Jose..... of the nimble digits and stretched obliques!

Damn child, your pinkies are gonna be tired by the end of today... to say nothing of your back.  I send you "shoulder-rub vibes" throughout the day.   8)   ;)

Aw, thanks for the shoulder-rub vibes.  Thankfully, because we're currently type-ing - which is why I'm able to type right now (on my laptop's keyboard) - I haven't started playing yet.  And by the time we're done with this process, we should be down to about 50-60 people.  Not too bad.  And they'll just be doing a quick 16-bars - we have to be done by 2:00 (I hope).
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2007, 07:47:51 AM »

Raining here today, finally.

We had some good auditioners last night....but we do not yet have a Luisa....hopefully there are some prospects coming in tonight.

Will she and the Matt continue the zaftig concept of the CINDERELLA?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2007, 07:48:13 AM »

DR Jose, you mean you look at them and decide if they are the right type for the role?

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2007, 07:54:10 AM »

I did not watch THE UNINVITED last night, as I have it on several tapes, own and have read the book, and back in the nineties wrote a script for an intended remake which never happened for several reasons I won't go into here.  But oddly enough, I had an email conversation last week with Bob Osbourne (who I know ever so slightly through mutual friends) where we discussed it...as I was inquiring as to why they showed some Paramount pictures (such as THE UNINVITED) and not others (such as star of the month Ida Lupino's great performance in THE LIGHT THAT FAILED).  It all has to do with what package they've currently rented from Paramount.  Anyway, in my email I mentioned that I had gone back to the book for my remake, emphasizing the part of the sister and that I had been "a tad more overt with the lesbian touches in the Cornelia Otis Skinner character...though God knows, she was pretty overt in the original movie."

Like you, Larry, I really admire the book and the movie.  One of the problems with remaking it is the original is quite good and John Huston's admonition echoes in one's brain:" Why do they always remake our good movies; why don't they remake our bad ones."

Still I thought I had an interesting take on the film that was probably more faithful to the book than the movie.

I think I need to find a copy of this book and read it.

I have a question:  is THE UNINVITED the first Hollywood movie to deal with ghost in a serious manner?  I can't think of any previous film in which ghosts weren't simply explained away as fakery or used for comedic effect.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up