Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG  (Read 28309 times)

td

• td
Re:MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2007, 06:27:58 PM »

I also watched (on dvd) the series finale of OZ.  Harrowing, gripping, melancholic and appropriate.  I don't know why I missed most of the final season of OZ, but, I did.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2007, 06:28:27 PM »

I knew we could get it up to PAGE EIGHT!

Ginny

« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2007, 06:32:10 PM »

This one's for DR Ginny!  (You looked faboo in the pix from NYC)!

Thank you, DR td, you are too, too kind!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2007, 06:35:03 PM »

Thank you, DR td, you are too, too kind!

I just calls 'em as I sees 'em.   ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #214 on: July 08, 2007, 06:45:54 PM »

Good Evening!

So... While shopping at the Virgin Megastore - which has basically become a "constitutional" of sorts - I happened to catch one of the stock clerks putting more of those "$8 Sale" stickers on CDs.  And she happened to have the sale listing with her, so...  Alas, not all of the midline-priced Sony Broadway re-issues were on sale, but a good chunk of them were.  As were a bunch of RCA ones.  :)  -Of course, now I'm wondering if there was any rhyme or reason to what was put on sale (or not).

*And I also found out today that the $5.00-Off V.I.P. vouchers do not apply to items priced $9.99 or less.  However, since the CDs were normally priced at $12.99, getting them for $8.00 was/is still a pretty good deal.  -Now if someone could just something about the NY sales tax.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #215 on: July 08, 2007, 07:17:47 PM »

And as for today's performance of A Chorus Line...

Well, I had a good show.  No major finger-slips, and only one foot-switch/program change issue.  And I'm at the point now where I feel comfortable reading the newspaper during my long breaks.  ;)  However...

In the middle of the final "Montage" (right before "Gimme the ball"), I noticed the conductor was on the stage management phone.  And that the warning lights in the pit were flashing.  And then a few moments later, we were signaled to stop playing...

Over the house speaker, we could hear some commotion in the house.  "Someone call a doctor!" "Help!" "Can anyone turn on the house lights?!?!?"...

And then we heard the stage manager come on the intercom asking everyone to remain calm and in their seats.  There was a medical emergency in the house, and EMS was on their way.

Apparently, someone fainted(?) in the audience, and there friends were having a hard time reviving them.  However, the person was able to walk out of the theatre, so, I guess everything was all right.

And then after the house lights dimmed, we started up again at the "Nervous Breakdown", and proceeded with the rest of the show.

And that's today Showbiz Newz!
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2007, 07:21:48 PM »

Just got back form D.C.  For our Sunday theater excursion, we ended up seeing the naked MACBETH, and it could have been named THE NUDE, TOTALLY NUDE, FOR NO APPARENT REASON THAN TO CAUSE A STIR, MACBUFF.  I've got to read the reviews to see if there was any artistic reason for doing this particular play this particular way - but it's certainly got the theater company some attention. (We are, by the way, warned several times:  NO BINOCULARS ALLOWED.)  As a performance of Shakespeare, however, it seemed quite beautifully acted and staged - even given that I'm not much of a typical Shakespeare audience.  But we went because it was a "much talked about event" though - and let's face it, it's being talked baout BECAUSE of the nudity.

Correction to a previous post:  the nude Macbeth was not near our D.C. hotel at all, that was a misunderstanding on my part - it was in Crystal City in Virginia, just six or seven blocks form the Crystal City metro stop, fine walking during daylight hours, but not at night, i think.

FJL

« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2007, 07:29:45 PM »

Didn't make it to the Spy Museum becaus eof the timing of getting to Crystal City for the 2 pm show, but thanks for your thoughts on that, Jose.  It sounds great, and something to put on the agenda if i stay in that area again on a future trip.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2007, 07:30:57 PM »

I'm having trouble catching up, and I'd better get to bed because it's an early call for tomorrow.

Bleh.

At least I got dinner on the table.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2007, 07:35:49 PM »

Welcome home, DR FJL.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #220 on: July 08, 2007, 07:37:52 PM »

DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE (Saturday night's show in D.C.) is the type of play that had me saying "that's fun, but huh?" at intermission, but then it all comes together stunningly in ACT II.  One of those plays that would have been better off left without an intermission (playing time is under 90 minutes when you take out the intermission), which is what the printed program suggests was the original intent but an insert to the program informs us of the added intermission.  Heady, intellectual stuff in Act II, about what happens after we die both among our loved ones and a knockout theory about what happens after our time on this Earth, but the kicker is that it's very accessibly rendered without talking down to the audience.  

FJL

« Reply #221 on: July 08, 2007, 07:39:56 PM »

Thanks to Jose for having alerted us to DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE being in D.C.  We jumped oin tickets as soon as the extension was announced and we credit Jose.

Cillaliz

« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2007, 07:41:48 PM »

I have been told "No laughing while I'm trying to go to sleep" by my mother.  So, no one be funny.... :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2007, 07:45:51 PM »

Thanks to Jose for having alerted us to DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE being in D.C.  We jumped oin tickets as soon as the extension was announced and we credit Jose.

You're very welcome, DR FJL.  And next time, just remember for all of your DC-travel related needs, just ask.  :)

*Although, I do have to "admit" that it was DR Ginny who first alerted me to Dead Man's Cellphone at Wooly.  I think.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2007, 07:46:06 PM »

vixmom - Got your message.  Please add me to your group for dinner on Monday if it's still on.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #225 on: July 08, 2007, 07:48:08 PM »

DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE (Saturday night's show in D.C.) is the type of play that had me saying "that's fun, but huh?" at intermission, but then it all comes together stunningly in ACT II.  One of those plays that would have been better off left without an intermission (playing time is under 90 minutes when you take out the intermission), which is what the printed program suggests was the original intent but an insert to the program informs us of the added intermission.  Heady, intellectual stuff in Act II, about what happens after we die both among our loved ones and a knockout theory about what happens after our time on this Earth, but the kicker is that it's very accessibly rendered without talking down to the audience.  

...And I keep wondering just when Sara Ruhl wrote all of these plays?  I mean, she's had a least six major productions of different plays mounted this past season by various theatres around the country?  -And although I forget who's presenting it, Dead Man's Cellphone is slated for a New York bow in the coming months.
Make Your Own Luck.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2007, 07:48:40 PM »

I had a marvelous day; one of my oldest best friends (we worked in music video together for years) was in town from Denver, so I picked her up, gave her the tour of our demolished neighborhood, then took her to our former dream house, where she was aghast at the 6 story loft mere feet from our house. She knew the whole story but never imagined it would be so huge and oppressive.

Then we went to the home of our good friends who are also preservationists. We had shown my friend a documentary DH and I had done of their restoration. (We sent this with an application from our preservation group to the state board of historic preservation, and they won the state award this year. It truly is the finest restoration I've ever seen.) We shot over the course of 5 years. My friend asked for a copy (everyone who sees it wants one) and then we went to see the house in person.

After spending an hour or so there we took her to the new house. The last time she was in town we were debating about buying the house, so now she got to see it in person as well as say goodbye to our old house that she knew and loved.

Then we had a lovely dinner and listened to Bryn Terfel on the way home.

A wonderful day!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

FJL

« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2007, 07:50:05 PM »

Jose - I remember your telling Julie and me about it the night we narrowly made the train after ALL ABOUT US.

But thanks to Ginny foir telling Jose.

And Ginny, you're not going to believe this, but (sob!) I was on the train to D.C. when I realized that i forgot to take the Metro remainder farecards.  :(

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #228 on: July 08, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »

vixmom - Got your message.  Please add me to your group for dinner on Monday if it's still on.  

As for tomorrow night's dinner...

DR Jason - What time do you have to be at the Q tomorrow?

-And shall we just say John's Pizza? or Westway Diner? or Galaxy Diner? Or maybe we could all do Piece of Chicken, and find a free stoop to sit on and dine.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #229 on: July 08, 2007, 07:50:55 PM »

I saw Transformers last night. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was actually quite funny up to the last part of the film when the final battle took over and there was no time for humor I guess. Shia TheMeet is not a bad actor and might actually have a career and not be a flash in the pan.

It turns out the film has a family connection. The actor who voiced the good transformer leader; Peter Cullen is from Montreal and he was one of the performers on a radio show for the CBC called Funny You Should Say That for which my father occasionally contributed sketches for.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #230 on: July 08, 2007, 07:53:35 PM »

A Merrily We Roll Along Dance from the York Theater production

Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #231 on: July 08, 2007, 07:57:49 PM »

DEAD MAN'S CELL PHONE SPOILER

It will be fascinating to see the Playwrights Horizons production after having seen it at Woolly Mammoth in D.C. - especially whether the NYC production manages to come up with as charismatic a performance for the titular "dead man" whose cell phone is the subject of the play (we see him in the Sarah Ruhl verison of an afterlife) as that of a fellow named Rick Foucheux.  Simply great.  

Also, Jennifer Mendenhall as "The Other Woman" in his life is a real joy.

Edisaurus

« Reply #232 on: July 08, 2007, 07:59:50 PM »

In response to Vixmom about SACCO AND VANZETTI, we just finished showing it in Italy in the two towns of S&V to great response.

It will be out on DVD and you can find out ordering info at our website:
www.willowpondfilms.com

The link takes you to Amazon, but if you link through our site, we get a little cut of the sale, I think.

There is only one review, and it was by someone who slammed the film based on the product information. Since I don't think we even showed it in Michigan, I have to wonder if he even saw the film before giving it one star and deciding for himself that they were guilty.

If anyone who saw it would like to write something favorable, even just one or two lines, it would be greatly appreciated. Right now, we only have this one negative comment!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #233 on: July 08, 2007, 08:00:16 PM »

Love the doggy pix, td and MBarnum! Thanks!

Jason

« Reply #234 on: July 08, 2007, 08:02:39 PM »

Hey all...

So much to catch up on!

1) It is true that you tend to gain more back if you go back to your old ways of eating. I will forevermore have to count points to maintain my current weight, because I know I'd blow back up if I went back to the "old Jason."

2) Jose - your ill patron apparently was having a seizure. Her two children were on either side of her when she began spasming, and then her eyes rolled back in her head and she began to seize. I got this info from Roz...and she would know. ;)

3) I don't have to be to the theatre until 6:45 tomorrow. And I haven't had John's since November...

4) I actually saw that Nancy Drew movie. It made me miss the books.

5) I think I earned commission this week, though only a dollar...maybe less. Still, I did it. I think.

And now I have to do my paperwork to find out just how much I might've made...

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #235 on: July 08, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »

HURRAH!!  Due to me E & T ness I wasn;t aware you were out of town!

Jose & Jason are setting the agenda as they  (or at least Jason that I am sure of) must be at work
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #236 on: July 08, 2007, 08:06:59 PM »

As for tomorrow night's dinner...

DR Jason - What time do you have to be at the Q tomorrow?

-And shall we just say John's Pizza? or Westway Diner? or Galaxy Diner? Or maybe we could all do Piece of Chicken, and find a free stoop to sit on and dine.  ;)

I have been to, and enjoyed John's Pizza, I have never (to the best of my recollection) been to either of the diners mentioned

I'm game for anything but the sitting on a stoop option  :D

my roomerticks might start acting up  ;D
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #237 on: July 08, 2007, 08:08:32 PM »

Matt H-Did you get your hair wet at the pool?  Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

Part of it was wet when the pic was taken. The rest got wet later. Why do you ask?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: July 08, 2007, 08:08:42 PM »

Back from a pleasant drive and shall now finish Von Ryan's Express.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #239 on: July 08, 2007, 08:09:17 PM »

Can you post links to the indecent ones?

der Brucer

And be responsible for the resultant nightmares? No way.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up