Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GUY WHOSE FEET WERE TOO BIG FOR HIS BED  (Read 37711 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE GUY WHOSE FEET WERE TOO BIG FOR HIS BED
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »

And one for Toddy!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #241 on: December 21, 2007, 02:59:24 PM »

Hmmm... Now here's something to think about: Dame Edna as Mrs. Lovett?  Hmmm.... ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #242 on: December 21, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »

More on ST...
Enjoyed Alan Rickman, too. He brought some nice touches to his character.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #243 on: December 21, 2007, 03:01:04 PM »

Oh, and Timothy Spall is certainly getting a lot of work. I had no idea he was in it. First, ENCHANTED and now SWEENEY TODD. Most impressive. He just oozed slime!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 03:01:36 PM by Jeanne »

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #244 on: December 21, 2007, 03:02:25 PM »

Hmmm... Now here's something to think about: Dame Edna as Mrs. Lovett?  Hmmm.... ;D

;D  ;D  ;D

that's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #245 on: December 21, 2007, 03:02:55 PM »

Must split.
BBL.

George

« Reply #246 on: December 21, 2007, 03:04:19 PM »

DR George went to bed without first posting his report here...   ;)

Well...I didn't love it. :-\ I didn't hate it, either.  I'm not specifically a Tim Burton fan and I guess I'm one of those theater queens who misses too much of what's missing from the show.  

I do want to see it again, and I don't doubt that it'll grow on me as I let go of what I know of the show and accept the movie as it's own animal.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #247 on: December 21, 2007, 03:21:42 PM »

Hmm... Just watching the local news... Apparently it's supposed to be in the mid-50s for the next week or so.  Of course, I packed clothes for weather more in the mid-30s to mid-40s range.
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #248 on: December 21, 2007, 03:25:55 PM »

On my forehead!   :P

According to Bette Midler, it's a FRIED EGG!
And its worn on the top of your head.
BUT, the ladies with the eggs on their heads generally don't come out til September or October.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #249 on: December 21, 2007, 03:29:22 PM »

The film critic for our local newspaper gave it 2 stars (out of 4). He thought all of the name stars (not just the two leads) couldn't sing or drift off pitch way too much (really hated Helena).

Our critic for the Post_Gazette gave it a great review, but only three out of four stars. . .

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #250 on: December 21, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »

Laura, at least you HAD a Christmas party. My employer (me) was too cheap to spring for anything at all.

Jeanne, I am the only employee.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

td

• td
« Reply #251 on: December 21, 2007, 03:39:54 PM »

OOHH!!!!  -Yes, one more "Sweeney Todd" bit...

To my ears, Helena-Bonham Carter hits more of the correct notes in that score than anyone I've heard before.  She really does have an amazing sense of pitch.  It's the first time I've heard the chromatic figures in the opening verse of "A Little Priest" sung correctly.

So. . .It isn't ONLY my ears. . .
Thanks for the confirmation, Jose!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #252 on: December 21, 2007, 03:44:32 PM »

Given the reports of low attendance at the matinees, and given that I can get into any theater free right now via DGA card, I was a bit surprised to see it's not playing in any theaters I'd want to go to - if it were at the main Chinese, or the Village in Westwood or a grand single screen, I might go, but it's only playing in multiplexes and not great ones.  It's at the Arclight in Hollywood, but my fear is we'll get digital projection and I want to see FILM - so it's wait a week to see a superb presentation at the DGA.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2007, 03:46:43 PM »

Listening to a Japanese import of Claus Ogerman's brilliant Gate Of Dreams (if you were one of the smart ones who bought the Bay Cities Claus Ogerman CD when I offered copies, you basically have this piece under its original title, Some Times).  The US CD release is about twenty years old and sounds okay, but nowhere near this marvelously marvelous 24 bit remastering.   And, best of all, none of its analog tape hiss has been filtered out - thank the Lord!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »

Such a day!

After I logged off this morning, my mother and I joined my aunt and we drove to Batesburg-Leesville to shop at the Wal-Mart there.  BIG STORE!

We had lunch at Wendy's and then returned to Wal-Mart to pick up my aunt's grandson (and my 1st cousin-once removed) Benjamin, 5-year-old son of my aunt's eldest child (he has two grown children from a first marriage).

After our return to Johnston, my mother and I hit a few local grocery stores in search of this and that...and finally, I found myself in Edgefield SC at the Fairway Market.  WHAT A STORE!  It's got everything I've been missing from grocery stores most of the past 20-plus years!  Nothing major exactly...just stuff you'd think "they" must have stopped making since you don't see it any more.  But NO!  It's at the Fairway Market, and they DO still make it.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #255 on: December 21, 2007, 03:59:47 PM »

You day sounds about as exciting as mine, DR Ron Pulliam: Walmart, Wendy's, and grocery shopping.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

George

« Reply #256 on: December 21, 2007, 04:11:18 PM »

The film critic for our local newspaper gave it 2 stars (out of 4). He thought all of the name stars (not just the two leads) couldn't sing or drift off pitch way too much (really hated Helena).

I didn't think that anyone sang off-key/pitch at all.  They eliminated some of Mrs. Lovett's harmonies during "A Little Priest," and just sang unison on lines like, "And everybody goes down well with beer."  I don't know why they would do that.

George

« Reply #257 on: December 21, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »

Music publishing stupidity news:   I get a lot of "promo" copies and emails about various pieces that are available for purchase.  Usually they only give you a little snippet or the delicately printed 'DO NOT COPY' is emblazoned in bold across every page.  But I received an email with a link to a really nice new arrangement of Amazing Grace and they have the whole score there in a PDF file.  Available to print.  And copy.  If I were the arranger I think I'd be a little concerned.

So...what's the link?? :D

George

« Reply #258 on: December 21, 2007, 04:19:44 PM »

Just watched "Turkey Lurkey time" on youtube.  It's a clip from the Tonys show form 1968 or 1969.  Loads of fun.  But did the number in the actual show actually get set up by saying the three ladies were members of the company's entertainment committee?

I LOVE Seth Rudetsky's take on the song!! ;D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #259 on: December 21, 2007, 04:52:10 PM »

I can not get my grandson to even look at a Robin Hood book, or watch the Flynn film,  because he already knows that Robin Hood is a fox.

That is very upsetting, and not surprising.  Years ago I took a lot of bashing when I wouldn't let my children watch the "classic" specials.

Jane

« Reply #260 on: December 21, 2007, 05:00:29 PM »

Where would you go with an 11 and 9 year old department?:  We're trying to decide which of our timeshare locations to visit summer 2008.  We had thought about Australia (and Tomovoz was most helpful in providing info about the many locations our timeshare has there), but the $12,000 (yes that's three zeros) roundtrip airfare for 4 people seems a bit daunting.  ;)  So at this point we're considering:

1.  Victoria, BC (good for Betsy and me--we're wondering about kid-stuff to do)
2.  Las Vegas (actually pretty kid-friendly, but not particularly exotic.  Close to Betsy's bro and his family in LA, however, and our sister-in-law's Mom lives in Vegas, which means maybe they could come meet us there)
3.  New Orleans (was first on our list until yesterday's riots, LOL.  Betsy and I have never been there).
4.  Southern Utah (one of my fondest memories as a kid was the summer my Dad took me to 4 Corners and the Indian cliff dwellings).
5.  Cabo (the resort is supposed to be incredible, but, again, not sure what there is for kids to do).

Opinions?

Does number 4 include Mesa Verde?  We had a great time there with the boys.  It is even better if you can stay at the hotel on the Mesa & watch the meteorites at night.

I haven't been to Australia yet, so I can't comment.

George

« Reply #261 on: December 21, 2007, 05:01:09 PM »

He was also miffed that the show's BIG revelation near the end was given away in an unnecessary flashback in the early-going.

I noticed that they introduced the beggar woman much later than usual and wondered if they did that so that people wouldn't easily make the connection between the flashback Lucy and the beggar woman.  

Jane

« Reply #262 on: December 21, 2007, 05:02:22 PM »

Oh my, this movie is certainly not for me.  :-[

I'm not familiar with the show.  I've seen the movie clips and it doesn't interest me.  If we see this one it will be Keith's call.

Jane

« Reply #263 on: December 21, 2007, 05:06:24 PM »

And your kid will enjoy said eye-full. You and Betsy, however, will squirm.

That was us with the boys in Cancun at a Club Med.  We had made plans to go elsewhere & Club Med closed the location for a private party.  We made a second selection and they insisted the boys were too old for that one and wouldn't have fun & insisted Cancun would be great for them.  Club Med and us differed in opinion on that one ::)

Jane

« Reply #264 on: December 21, 2007, 05:12:57 PM »

Oh, yeah, I forgot I'd been to New Orleans, too.  And in the summer...

It was for the 1993 American Library Association Annual Conference and I thought I was pretty tough, having been several times to Phoenix in the summer.  Well, New Orleans in the summer is a whole different story and I thought I was going to die.  Much as I'd like to go back to NO, I would definitely NOT go in the summer.

If only we had known each other than.  

I can't believe how much I pushed myself and all the walking I did in the heat, and the pouring rain when the heaven parted once a day. ;D  

I had a great time, still I vote for taking the boys to Mesa Verde.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #265 on: December 21, 2007, 05:13:03 PM »

You day sounds about as exciting as mine, DR Ron Pulliam: Walmart, Wendy's, and grocery shopping.

All this excitement....who'd a thunk it!

:)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #266 on: December 21, 2007, 05:14:30 PM »

I had a lovely time at the staff Christmas party. The janitor and I (who is actually my boss) enjoyed a box of See's candy.

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »

We're just back in from a ride around town looking at Christmas lights.

There are some rather spectacular displays in this little town.  Quite a bit of tasteful ones, too, especially in the "older homes" of distinction.

And then...there are the tacky ones.   Yum.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #268 on: December 21, 2007, 05:17:53 PM »

"Sweeney Todd" is on my radar.  I'll have to wait till I'm back in the Bay Area...but I hope to see it before the New Year.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #269 on: December 21, 2007, 05:19:04 PM »

I've already ordered the soundtrack, along with the OBC of "Young Frankenstein."
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up