Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A 110-YEAR-OLD TIBETAN MONK  (Read 26249 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:A 110-YEAR-OLD TIBETAN MONK
« Reply #300 on: March 16, 2008, 08:52:04 PM »

Jose, you are known for eating everything.  Jeffrey Steingarten has nothing on you.

But you are better known for introducing others, tempting them and leading them down the garden path, with sweet breads and such.  On your tour of NYC, when der B and I caught up with you on what, the second or third stop, we first landed in a candy shop, followed by donuts, and so on and so forth...

You are GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY!!!

;D   ;D   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #301 on: March 16, 2008, 08:53:58 PM »

When did St. Patrick's Day become a two-day holiday?

When it landed in holy week?
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #302 on: March 16, 2008, 08:55:07 PM »

Heading down now to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #303 on: March 16, 2008, 08:57:32 PM »

I need to call it quits for the night.  The customers were tiring today, and tomorrow, being the day of the Green, it won't surprise me to find a few of them drunk shortly after noon.

:P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #304 on: March 16, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »

DR SWW - "Guilty" implies something "wrong", "bad".  Candies, doughnuts and cupcakes are not "wrong" nor "bad".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #305 on: March 16, 2008, 09:06:31 PM »

Hmm... Well, we texted our property manager around 10:00 tonight to tell her that the heat had not come on all day.  She texted back just a few minutes later to say that should would call the boiler/oil company to come out and check things out in the basement.  Well, two hours later, and still no sign of the boiler guys.  Needless to say, it looks like I'll have to plug in the electric blanket tonight.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #306 on: March 16, 2008, 09:24:49 PM »

Well, I'm planning on taking care of a few errands in the morning, which means I can't sleep through the morning, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #307 on: March 16, 2008, 09:33:36 PM »

When did St. Patrick's Day become a two-day holiday?

Day one for the party, day two to recover from the hangover

Cillaliz

« Reply #308 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:06 PM »

I am home.  It was an uneventful trip but they were starting to cancel flights in Denver. Anything going North or West was at risk.  After we landed here, they did a turn-around in literally 5 minutes to get back to Denver while they still could get there

Cillaliz

« Reply #309 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:26 PM »

With that i will take my new ear ache and go to bed

FJL

« Reply #310 on: March 16, 2008, 09:37:49 PM »

Great news, Cilla!  Welcome home

FJL

« Reply #311 on: March 16, 2008, 09:38:28 PM »

About the trip, not the earache

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #312 on: March 16, 2008, 10:43:17 PM »

Finished all viewing for the day.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #313 on: March 16, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »

No I'm relaxing until it's time to write Ye Olde Notes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #314 on: March 16, 2008, 10:44:11 PM »

Nobody here but us chickens - and those thirteen GUESTS.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #315 on: March 16, 2008, 10:59:08 PM »

Make that seventeen GUESTS.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #316 on: March 16, 2008, 10:59:27 PM »

Seventeen GUESTS and then ten seconds later, fifteen GUESTS.

BrettySpaghetti

• Insert hilarious quip here
    • The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #317 on: March 16, 2008, 11:08:18 PM »

DR BrettySpaghetti - If you would like an Introduction to Being Enabled, you can begin by CLICKING HERE. ;D

I was amused that your headline referenced "Butter and Flour and Sugar." I have absolutely no cooking talents whatsoever. But recently I have made several batches of shortbread squares for people, and literally the only ingredients are BF&S. They actually came out very well. The recipe was given to me by the mother of my friend who's doing 1776 later this month.

BTW, those Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies look positively scrumptious.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #318 on: March 16, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »

I am agog and aghast at even the THOUGHT of MASK as a musical.  Why would anyone think this would be a good idea?  How would you begin to tell this story in song?  How can the lead actor sing with something on his face like.....well....like a mask?

I am completely demoralized at this kind of thinking...I must ponder it....think about it and nothing else....I can't.....oh wait a second....what is this container of cole slaw doing here?  Hmmmmmmm....must have forgotten to put it in the bag.  Oh well.....MASK the musical....I just can't get over it.............

I'm sure this has been covered on HHW in the past, but I find it discouraging that so many "new" musicals are mining the cinema for inspiration these days. I know there are good musicals based on movies; Little Shop of Horrors is one of my favorites. And I do realize that many of the world's most popular musicals are derived from nonmusical plays (Oklahoma, My Fair Lady, West Side Story) and popular fiction (Flower Drum Song, Phantom, Fiddler, Jesus Christ Superstar [HA!]). But are we completely out of new ideas? Today, it seems like the only way you can put asses into theater seats is to base your musical on a hit movie or a pop artist's reservoir of hit songs. Is this part of the overall "dumbing down" of America, or merely a fad based on a few fluke hits? I fear that there may come a day that nobody will take a chance on an idea that doesn't have a built-in, proven popularity factor already attached to it....

Of course, later this year at the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle will be the world premiere of the stage musical version of SHREK!!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:30:50 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #319 on: March 16, 2008, 11:25:35 PM »

Bret, have you worked in musical theatre?  and if you have, who have you worked with?  Just curious since I saw that you mentioned  1776. One of favorite actors, Matt Ashford did both 1776 and Urinetown-the musical.

Let me count on one hand ALL of the theater I've done in my life, musical and nonmusical. (I figure this is as appropriate a venue as I'll ever have to take this particular trip down memory lane.)

1. When I was 7 years old and in elementary school, the community college next door conscripted me (and a few of my classmates) to act in a production of THE MIRACLE WORKER. I was the only one who didn't get to appear onstage, but instead essayed the role of Annie Sullivan's deceased brother on tape. Yup, my first acting gig was a voice-over role. Take that, Mary Alice Young!

2. Fast-forward to age 19. By then, I'm a student at the aforementioned community college, working on the weekly newspaper. As part of a story about the college theater, I find myself interviewing the woman who directed us in THE MIRACLE WORKER a dozen years earlier. She is directing ZORBA, and invites me to be in the chorus. I happily accept.

3. At the same college, I got to act with my mother in Neil Simon's THE GOOD DOCTOR. (Both my mother and grandmother did theater and a few minor films.)

4. A couple of years later, I somehow landed the role of a pirate in a children's theater production of TREASURE ISLAND that a local community group was doing.

5. The same group cast me in the chorus of a modest production of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS. And that, my friends, was my last hurrah. I really did enjoy doing all of those things.

Oh, yeah, I neglected to mention that I was also the original Tevye on Broadway, before they brought in that hack Zero Mostel. Why do I always forget about that one?

George

« Reply #320 on: March 16, 2008, 11:29:55 PM »

As for Blood Brothers... I liked it.  In fact, I saw it three times on Broadway.  Once with the original cast, and then twice with Petula Clark and the Cassidy brothers.  The second time I saw Pet and the Boys, I took my college theatre professor with me.  He had actually been listening to the cassette (remember those) of the original London production for a while, and he was hooked on it - which,frankly, surprised me.  I was actually scared that he would not like it once seeing it on stage, but, lo and behold, he actually loved it.  Yes, the music is a bit too pop-py and over-produced even in the theatre, but it worked well with the book, imho.  And I was always surprised at the running time of the show itself - 2:40, I believe.  It never felt that long to me.

The one and only time that I went to New York was in December 1995.  Blood Brothers was playing and I chose not to see it.  I have a couple of friends who did see it.  Before they went, one absolutely loved the CDs and one hated them (I don't know why she chose to see the show, though).  Anyway, the one who loved the CDs hated the show and the one who hated the CDs loved the show. :-\ Go figure.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #321 on: March 16, 2008, 11:32:40 PM »

Of course, later this year at the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle will be the world premiere of the stage musical version of SHREK?

Ugh. When will it end? The only thing worse than the theater becoming a recycler of movies is the fact that the movies have become a recycler of old TV shows -- Underdog, Beverly Hillbillies, Bewitched, Scooby Doo, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Mission Impossible, Brady Bunch, Addams Family, Maverick, Leave it to Beaver, The Honeymooners, Twilight Zone, George of the Jungle....and coming soon: Dallas, more Star Trek, and God knows what else. It is so dispiriting.

George

« Reply #322 on: March 16, 2008, 11:34:24 PM »

DR Tomovoz - Remember, I also saw the original production of Passion five times!  Loved it!

:)

During the curtain speech for Side Show that I'm in, Jeff Kingsbury (the managing director of Capital Playhouse) tells the audience that this, the fourth show in their season, is when they announce what they're doing next season.  One of the shows that they're going to do is A Grand Night For Singing, which was nominated for Best Musical in the same year that Passion won...except that Jeff has been saying that AGNFS won!  For four performances and four curtain speeches now, he's announced that it was the Tony winner for Best musical.  I sent a message of correction to his MySpace page.  Hopefully on Wednesday he'll correct his speech. ;)

George

« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2008, 11:35:00 PM »

The home remedy for kidney stones did not work today. DH is going to try it one more time tomorrow and if it doesn't work, then it may be time to blast them!

Long day tomorrow so I'm going to hit the showers and le bed!

~~~Vibes for Successful Kidney Stone Remedy for Edi's DH Greg!!~~~

George

« Reply #324 on: March 16, 2008, 11:36:10 PM »

I've always loved 1776. I saw my best friend play Charles Thomson in a NorCal production last year. Later this month, I'll be seeing a different company (same director and some of the same cast) tackling the show up north again. This time, my friend is playing John Dickinson. Can you say "upgrade"?

1776 is one of my all-time favorite musicals. :D

Just had to share. :)

George

« Reply #325 on: March 16, 2008, 11:36:34 PM »

I'm catching up.  Can you tell? ;D

George

« Reply #326 on: March 16, 2008, 11:37:01 PM »

I am home.  It was an uneventful trip but they were starting to cancel flights in Denver. Anything going North or West was at risk.  After we landed here, they did a turn-around in literally 5 minutes to get back to Denver while they still could get there

Welcome home, Cillaliz!

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 11:37:54 PM by George »

George

« Reply #327 on: March 16, 2008, 11:37:24 PM »

With that i will take my new ear ache and go to bed

~~~Feel Better Vibes for Cillaliz!!~~~

George

« Reply #328 on: March 16, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »

I think it's time for a Gratuitous Post...so here it is.  Gratuitous Post # 328.

;)

George

« Reply #329 on: March 16, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up