Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: HEADLIGHTS  (Read 28603 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:HEADLIGHTS
« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2008, 04:13:01 PM »

Anthony should be out of dance class soon and we shall head home to a dinner of pork chops, spinach and potatoes.
OK, that's a meat and two.  You get one more.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2008, 04:14:05 PM »

Page Nine Down Home Cookin' Dance!

Uh, no, wait a sec, that sounds like a need for Pepto-Bismal.   :P
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #242 on: June 21, 2008, 04:17:12 PM »

Saturday afternoon greetings!  I am posting on our laptop via the wireless connection in my room at our local hospital.  At my visit yesterday with the PA in my foot surgeon's office, I complained about the pain in the back of my leg, which I thought was just muscle pain from walking funny on that side for a week and a half.  He sent me for an ultrasound, which revealed deep vein thrombosis (blood clots), so I was admitted and am now on blood thinners and almost complete bed rest.

That explains my E & T-ness all day yesterday.
Well, thank the Lord they've diagnosed the problem, and quickly at that!  Those blood clots can be dangerous things.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Ginny

« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2008, 04:25:46 PM »

Thanks, DR SWW, for the vibes.

I going to sign off now and let Richard use the laptop for a while before he takes it home.  I don't want to have it here when I'm sleeping (or trying to  ::)).

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #244 on: June 21, 2008, 04:27:04 PM »

The men's US Olympic gymnastic trials are on NBC this afternoon.  The women are up tonight.

There was a big drive to try to sand bag Shawn Johnson's gym in Des Moines (or West Des Moines or whatever suburb it's in) but it didn't work and it flooded. There was talk that it would impact her ability to train for nationals, but I'm sure she found a place to practice.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 04:27:24 PM by Cillaliz »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2008, 04:27:16 PM »

As for pet peeves...

I really do get disgusted with people who openly litter in the subway cars.  They finish a can of soda, they put in on the floor, crush it with their foot, and kick it aside.  Or they finish a candy bar, and then let the wrapper drop from their hands after they are done.  And now that we're into summer, there are lots more cups filled with still-melting ice in the cars right now.  :-\ ...

I can top that.

Recently, at the request of customers, management at the store has placed sanitizing wipes at the store's entrance, so that customers can sanitize their hands before touching any of the produce or whatever.

So, where do the customers who use the sanitizing wipes dispose of said sanitizing wipes?

On the floor, of course.

There is something self-contradictory about this situation.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #246 on: June 21, 2008, 04:32:57 PM »

The entire picture looks like a euphemism!

:D :D :D

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #247 on: June 21, 2008, 04:34:31 PM »

Feel better vibes for Ginny.  My advice--maintain your assertion that you're in serious pain and stay there for a week or two.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Cillaliz

« Reply #248 on: June 21, 2008, 04:42:07 PM »

Move Vibes to Ginny...I sent earlier ones via email ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #249 on: June 21, 2008, 04:43:42 PM »

Gotta run, but my pet peeve is when I pay my parking tickets and the city applies the money to my water bill and then I get a notice on my car saying I'm going to get the Denver boot for over due parking tickets even though I've paid them twice!! And then when I go to city hall the lady goes out of her way to tell me I have no right to be upset until she sees that they made the mistake...twice.

Cillaliz

« Reply #250 on: June 21, 2008, 04:43:55 PM »

Must eat ice cream

JulieC40

• Always keep your options open!
« Reply #251 on: June 21, 2008, 04:47:01 PM »

Gotta run, but my pet peeve is when I pay my parking tickets and the city applies the money to my water bill and then I get a notice on my car saying I'm going to get the Denver boot for over due parking tickets even though I've paid them twice!! And then when I go to city hall the lady goes out of her way to tell me I have no right to be upset until she sees that they made the mistake...twice.

Amazing!  Twice?  That's crazy!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2008, 04:47:46 PM »

TOD

Work-wise, I have a new pet peeve:

Customers who insist on paper-in-plastic.

That's when they want us, the cashiers, to stop and take the time to insert a paper bag in the plastic bag before filling said bag/bags with their groceries.

And yes, it does slow down the flow of our work, to have to stop and insert the paper bag into the plastic bag.

I had a few customers insisting on this waste of resources today.  Natch, I had the express lane.

And every one of those customers went over the fifteen item limit.  Of course.

The worst was the woman who not only insisted on paper-in-plastic, but also insisted that I "pack them light," because she didn't want to lift heavy items.  And of course she had thirty-eight items.  In the express lane.  And she wasn't nice about it, at all.

I, however, am required to do as the customer requests, and be ultra-polite at all times.

Bitch.

JulieC40

« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2008, 04:47:50 PM »

JMK, Did you already go to your event this afternoon?  How did it go?

JulieC40

« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »

The worst was the woman who not only insisted on paper-in-plastic, but also insisted that I "pack them light," because she didn't want to lift heavy items.  And of course she had thirty-eight items.  In the express lane.  And she wasn't nice about it, at all.

I, however, am required to do as the customer requests, and be ultra-polite at all times.

Bitch.

38 items in an Express Lane?  One can't politely ask her to go to another line?  That doesn't make sense to me...  

Just my opinion, but the "customer" is NOT always right!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2008, 04:52:42 PM »

I've written this before here, but I have this fantasy that I have a stack of pre-made, bright orange bumper stickers that say: MOTHER NATURE IS MY ASHTRAY.  And they're made with an insidious glue that doesn't let go.  And when I get to the next stop light, I jump out of my car and affix one to the back of the offending vehicle.

This is a great idea!

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #256 on: June 21, 2008, 04:54:29 PM »

Television pet peeve:

Why is it people think that showing people yelling and screaming at each other is entertaining?

It is not.  People who are screaming at each other are not listening to each other.  They belong on the Jerry Springer Show.

Unfortunately, they can also be found on shows such as Law & Order.  

And they can also be found regularly on Fox News.  And it's the newspeople who are doing the screaming.  At each other.  And at their guests.

We are, as a culture, sinking to the level of Jerry Springer.

You would never find Alton Brown screaming on Good Eats.

Of course, Alton would be screaming at a carrot, if he were screaming, and carrots don't care.  At all.   ::)

George

« Reply #257 on: June 21, 2008, 04:56:06 PM »

I'm at work, but I'm not working...don't worry, my timesheet will reflect this. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #258 on: June 21, 2008, 04:57:05 PM »

Anyway, I haven't read any of today's posts after page one but I'm leaving for home now, so I can ketchup there.  

George

« Reply #259 on: June 21, 2008, 04:57:22 PM »

Tonight, I'm going to see a local production of "The Beauty Queen of Leenane."  My friend Kim plays the adult daughter and she's a good actress, but I've never seen her in a dramatic role.  It is a dramatic role, isn't it??

George

« Reply #260 on: June 21, 2008, 05:01:45 PM »

Topic of the Day:  I don't know if anyone has posted about this (or anything like it)...because I haven't caught up yet, but a few years ago, my sister told me that she read a survey about drivers' pet peeves.  The number one answer (and it seems to be so much worse now) was when other drivers drove the speed limit and didn't speed. :-\

George

« Reply #261 on: June 21, 2008, 05:03:41 PM »

Well, I need to leave now.  The building closes at 5:00 pm on Saturdays and I don't have a key or know the code to turn on/off the alarm.  So, I'm being kicked out.  

Until later. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #262 on: June 21, 2008, 05:04:47 PM »

No, Julie, we are not supposed to point out to the customer that they have exceeded the fifteen item limit.  To do so might harm their self-esteem.

To be honest, I consider the fifteen item limit a guideline, not a hard and fast rule.  I have no problem with customers mis-counting and getting, say, twenty items in their order.

But twice fifteen?  These are customers who simply are unaware that they have entered the express lane (it can happen), or don't care.  

And then, there is always the Yogurt Rule.

That's the rule that says that, no matter how many cups of yogurt you buy, they always, always count as one item.

This is because one never says one is buying yogurts.  One says one is buying yogurt.  Clearly singular.  So, no matter how many cups of yogurt you buy, they clearly must count as just one item.

I discovered this rule one day when, again working the express lane, customer after customer came into the lane with twenty - count 'em, twenty - cups of yogurt.

What had happened was that one of the yogurt companies had a sale going on, a sale with specific perameters.  The customer could get a significant savings on buying their yogurt, but they had to buy twenty - count 'em, twenty - cups of yogurt, exactly twenty, or the price would automatically revert back up to the normal price.

So, of course, the customers all bought twenty cups of yogurt.

So, of course, they all immediately headed to the express lane.

Where it clearly states a fifteen item limit.

Yogurt, no matter how many you buy, all count as one item.  That's the Yogurt Rule.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #263 on: June 21, 2008, 05:07:43 PM »

Tonight, I'm going to see a local production of "The Beauty Queen of Leenane."  My friend Kim plays the adult daughter and she's a good actress, but I've never seen her in a dramatic role.  It is a dramatic role, isn't it??
It most certainly isn't comedy.

Except when parodied by Forbidden Broadway, in the number "How Are Things In Irish Drama?"  Hit the nail right on the head, that one did!

JulieC40

« Reply #264 on: June 21, 2008, 05:08:54 PM »

Yogurt Rule...mmm...*filing that in the evil mind file*  Interesting, thanks! *j/k*

JulieC40

« Reply #265 on: June 21, 2008, 05:09:40 PM »

That doesn't seem right either, though.  That's kind of stupid, right Mr. White?

singdaw

« Reply #266 on: June 21, 2008, 05:18:51 PM »

There is something self-contradictory about this situation.

Sort of like how, in a bakery, they use a piece of wax paper to select your items from the display trays, and then put them into your bag - and then they leave that piece of wax paper, with all their germs on it, in your bag!    :P

JulieC40

« Reply #267 on: June 21, 2008, 05:21:02 PM »

Singdaw, I've noticed that as well.  It seems they would put the pastry in the bag, remove the wax paper and toss it...wouldn't that be more P.C and hygienic?

singdaw

« Reply #268 on: June 21, 2008, 05:21:59 PM »

That doesn't seem right either, though.

You're right; it ain't right!   :)

But methinks DR SWW was being sarcastic.

singdaw

« Reply #269 on: June 21, 2008, 05:23:14 PM »

DR SWW was being sarcastic.

As he is wont to do.

Sometimes.

;)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up