Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RUNAWAY LETTER  (Read 26300 times)

MBarnum

Re:THE RUNAWAY LETTER
« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »

Mr. Holliman has never attended a Tony Slide party.  And the fact is that in almost four years of living in my current home environment, and an additional eight or so years of living two blocks from here in my other home environment, I've only actually seen Mr. Holliman ONCE, driving to his house.  He waved.

Well, next time you drive by his house, throw my business card to him.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »

I tried Nutrisystem in the late 80's, early 90's and had success with it, but then I went through a divorce and undid my results!

I tried NutriSystem and actually lost about 15 pounds, but the problem with that is that they send you four weeks of food every four weeks (makes sense, doesn't it), but then you also have to pay every four weeks...which means that several times a year, you have to make TWO payments within one month.  I only get paid once a month and can't afford TWO payments within one month.  If they could've have a five-week schedule option, that would've been great, but no...only four weeks. :P

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:26:16 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #122 on: July 01, 2008, 11:25:30 AM »

I am about to head off to the hospital. I will take all of your good vibes with me to Kerry. I will give a report later this evening.

~~~SUPER VIBES FOR DRs KERRY AND DEARREADERLAURA!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #123 on: July 01, 2008, 11:28:45 AM »

I think yesterday's meals were interesting for me, in that I ate pretty consistently, but all low-cal stuff.

Two ears of corn with two pats of butter, app. 350 calories.  Shrimp and crab claws with cocktail sauce - app. 200 calories.  Melon balls with a little Cool Whip on top - app. 200 calories.  One fruit popsicle - 80 calories.  Five thin slices of Oscar Mayer ham - 45 calories.  One granola bar - 100 calories.  Total calorie intake: 975.  If I can't lose weight on 975 calories, then I don't know what.  Especially after a two-mile jog.   Normally, if I'm exercising, I can lose weight eating anything under 1500 calories.  Counting calories has always been the easiest and most successful way for me to lose weight.  The other successful way is to count fat grams along with the calories, and to eat under 20 fat grams a day, which I think I did yesterday.

The time that I was in the meal-replacement weight-loss program, we counted calories and had charts to figure how many calories we burned when we exercised, based on our weight.  It was quite accurate, too.  Anyway, we were told that women should eat 10 calories per day for every pound of weight that you want to weigh.  Meaning, if a woman wants to weigh 100 pounds, she should eat about 1000 calories a day.  125 pounds...1250 calories, etc.  For men, it's 12 calories per pound of weight that you want to weigh.  And if you exercise, you can eat extra calories to make up for the calories that you burn, to maintain that ratio.  The program was very insistent that we did not eat less than 1000 calories at all, so that they wouldn't have to do medical testing.  If you go below that (like in OptiFast, where you're limited to something like 800 calories a day...or 530 calories PER DAY when my friend Margo did it in the 1980s), they need to make sure that your body doesn't go into starvation mode and is getting enough food for you to be able to lose weight.  It's truly a science.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:48:38 AM by George »

Amy

« Reply #124 on: July 01, 2008, 12:15:18 PM »

Harvard has come up with a food pyramid that makes the most sense:

http://www.fitnessintraining.com/harvardfoodpyramid.htm

Notice how brown rice (a whole grain) is at the very bottom of the pyramid and white rice is at the very top. So, don't try to cut out all carbs, just the bad ones. I don't like to cook so I have a couple brown rice recipes where I make a big batch and feed off it for a week. I'll try to remember to post the recipes tomorrow. Pineapple pie is definitely not part of a nutritionally balanced diet!

Also, I lost 30 pounds after I got my dog. It forced me to walk twice a day and because she kept begging me for my food, I simply stopped eating dinner. Now, I eat a pineapple, mango, and papiya mix for dinner because the dog is not very excited by fruit. Dog enthusiasts would tell me I should train my dog not to beg, but it's easier to just not eat meat for dinner.

Amy

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: July 01, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »

Back from a jog.  Had to finally stop at about a mile and three quarters - too hot, and legs too sore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2008, 12:23:08 PM »

I think my plan is to eat under 1500 calories a day and to get some sort of exercise every single day.  I should be able to drop pounds consistently doing that.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: July 01, 2008, 12:23:38 PM »

Does anyone have a calorie count of melon and other fruits.  I'm not a fruit fan, but I do like melon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: July 01, 2008, 12:24:17 PM »

Cool whip or canned whipped cream is surprisingly easy on the calories - between 10 and 15 a serving, with only one gram of fat.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2008, 12:25:22 PM »

I did hear back from the head of the Festival who'd written me the snippy e-mail - she seems better now, although she really should have apologized for the tone of her e-mail.  The other head, who'd e-mailed me to say thanks, was very nice and positive.

Amy

« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2008, 12:53:38 PM »

Melon is about 60 calories per cup. Bruce, as I recall, you lost quite a bit of weight before, so whatever worked for you then should work for you now. Physically, it's just a matter of burning more calories than you take in. Psychologically, it's just a matter of coming up with a diet that you can live with so you don't feel like you're suffering all the time, otherwise you won't be able to stay on that diet. For people who love meat, don't try be a vegetarian, just eat more fish and white meat chicken and less beef or pork. And for people who love pasta, don't go on a high-protein diet, just don't drown your pasta in a high-fat sauce - stick with marinara instead of alfredo. And don't overstuff yourself. When you're pleasantly full, stop eating immediately.

Amy

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #131 on: July 01, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »

A full afternoon of viewing for me. I began by watching a MURDER SHE WROTE I had never seen before with a nifty mystery and a clever solution. George Hearn, Richard Lynch (who looked enbalmed), and Cliff Gorman were among the guest stars.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: July 01, 2008, 01:13:48 PM »

Next, I finished THE SWORD IN THE STONE which I had started last night. This is the old Gold Collection DVD. I didn't get the new one, and from all accounts, Disney used the exact same transfer. It looked mostly fine on my equipment (though there were some odd color fluctuations at the bottom of the frame early in the movie.)

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: July 01, 2008, 01:17:56 PM »

Next, I watched SUPERHERO MOVIE. Pretty standard David Zucker stuff with too great a reliance on pratfalls and fart jokes, but there certainly were some parts that did make me laugh, and everyone in the film keeps a straight face amid all the lunacy. It's mostly a rip of SPIDER-MAN though X-MEN and BATMAN and FANTASTIC FOUR come in for a bit of ribbing. I think there were rich mines of material ripe for spoofing that they missed, however.

There is one moment, however, that's fall on the floor funny. Actor Miles Fisher does about a minute or so of a dead-on Tom Cruise impersonation, and it was a scream (there's more in the bonus scenes, too.) My favorite part of the movie by far.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: July 01, 2008, 01:18:53 PM »

I watched all of the bonus features apart from the audio commentary. Really fluff pieces where the actors praise each other to the skies, and the director and producers praise them and one another to the skies. Dull stuff indeed.

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: July 01, 2008, 01:20:00 PM »

And I skimmed through today's AS THE WORLD TURNS. No Luke and not in the previews either.

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2008, 01:21:01 PM »

Sad to say, I didn't get THE CLOSER in the mail today, so after I finish with SUPERHERO MOVIE tonight, I'm going to watch 3:10 TO YUMA on Blu-ray, the remake with Russell Crowe and Christian Bale.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2008, 01:26:11 PM »

Richard Lynch (who looked enbalmed)

He was in an awful Chuck Norris movie I worked on, 20 some years ago, and he looked embalmed then!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »

Sad to say, I didn't get THE CLOSER in the mail today

:'( :'( :'(
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2008, 01:27:32 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2008, 01:28:36 PM »

I had a long telephonic conversation with one of the heads of the LA Festival, and it was very nice, and they love me and still want me very involved in next year's festival, so that was nice to hear.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2008, 01:34:19 PM »

Will we never get to page six?

Ginny

« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2008, 01:38:22 PM »

I've watched some HGTV this afternoon and vowed never to let them paint my bedroom orange!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jennifer

« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2008, 01:39:59 PM »

re: Nutrisystem.

It seems sort of expensive. But i do think it would be much cheaper than eating out every day.

I personally would LOVE to try this.

The concept seems so odd to me though. How on earth do they send food that does not need to be refrigerated? And when you microwave it
it ends up looking delicious.

Jennifer

« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2008, 01:44:26 PM »

I tried NutriSystem and actually lost about 15 pounds, but the problem with that is that they send you four weeks of food every four weeks (makes sense, doesn't it), but then you also have to pay every four weeks...which means that several times a year, you have to make TWO payments within one month.  I only get paid once a month and can't afford TWO payments within one month.  If they could've have a five-week schedule option, that would've been great, but no...only four weeks. :P

I think you could do it by only ordering it one system.

And then reordering when you wanted.

For example here they sell this on the shopping channel. And you buy one order of 4 weeks. Then next month or whenever you could order another set.

I'm not saying you want to do this again. But if someone did i'll bet you could also talk to someone when ordering and explain your dilmemna. And they would probably arrange it so that you only paid once per month.

Although i didn't realize that people did this for so long!

George

« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »

re: Nutrisystem.

The concept seems so odd to me though. How on earth do they send food that does not need to be refrigerated? And when you microwave it
it ends up looking delicious.

It's what they call "soft" canned food.  It's in microwaveable trays, like frozen foods, but they're completely sealed and fully cooked.  They don't need to be heated up.  You can eat them at room temperature if you need to...like during a power failure.  However, they don't really look "delicious" in real life.  They just look like canned food.  And they don't taste delicious, either.  They're not bad, but they're definitely NOT "delicious." ;)

« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:57:29 PM by George »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2008, 01:55:08 PM »

Today is my Wednesday.

I usually enjoy Wednesdays, but the jury is still out on today (the work day part, that is).

Nothing heavy, but nothing "heady", either.  We are still in that "rolling-over-into-the-new-fiscal-year" mode....invoices are piling up....and people are trying to toss little sweat grenades at me, such as "Ron, can you get this one paid really fast?  When will the check go out on this one, Ron?  Can you make an exception with this one and pay them tomorrow?"

The only joy I get is telling them "No, No, and No!"  The County pays EVERYthing 30 days in arrears.  If I process an invoice today (I can't until Wednesday, actually, but for the sake of the example "today"), the County check won't go out until August 1.  Period.  End of story.  UNLESS special provisions were agreed upon BEFORE a purchase order was issued and that provision was worked into the purchase order.

That's more than any of you could possibly want to know, and probably not any of it, to be frank!  I understand that.  But I'm sharing it with you anyway.

That's my perverse nature.

;D
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 02:09:42 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2008, 02:00:13 PM »

I think you could do it by only ordering it one system.

And then reordering when you wanted.

For example here they sell this on the shopping channel. And you buy one order of 4 weeks. Then next month or whenever you could order another set.

I'm not saying you want to do this again. But if someone did i'll bet you could also talk to someone when ordering and explain your dilmemna. And they would probably arrange it so that you only paid once per month.

Although i didn't realize that people did this for so long!

The program is set up so that you save a lot of money by buying on the standing order plan.  I didn't actually call to ask about changing the payment schedule, so maybe they really could do it, but looking very thoroughly around their website, I didn't see anything that indicated that option.  

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2008, 02:00:22 PM »

Is this a slow news day here at haineshisway.com?

No.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2008, 02:02:43 PM »

Here are some more Emmy semifinalists. First, here are the actresses vying for the five slots in Best Comedy Actress:

Christina Applegate, Samantha Who?
Marcia Cross, Desperate Housewives
America Ferrera, Ugly Betty
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Anna Friel, Pushing Daisies
Felicity Huffman, Desperate Housewives
Eva Longoria Parker, Desperate Housewives
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, New Adventures of Old Christine
Mary-Louise Parker, Weeds
Sarah Silverman, The Sarah Silverman Program

I don't care at all that Teri Hatcher was omitted from the list, but where in the world is Dana Delany? She was the best thing about the show this year, and her name is not here. Amazing! All of these other names seem worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up