Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET  (Read 28483 times)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET
« Reply #180 on: July 05, 2004, 07:44:23 PM »

I need a good vegetarian onion soup recipe.  We have tons of Walla Walla onions to use.  I guess any good recipe will work and I can substitute the both.  Anyone have one for me?

Onion soup with vegetable broth and melted tofu.  The "Why Bother" version of soupe d'oignon.

Quel scandale!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #181 on: July 05, 2004, 07:44:58 PM »

I'm the lucky one to get us out of wide format. Hurray!

Jay

« Reply #182 on: July 05, 2004, 07:47:35 PM »

I'm the lucky one to get us out of wide format. Hurray!

Ex-squeezez moi?

Panni

« Reply #183 on: July 05, 2004, 07:47:40 PM »

...Correction... It was actually Jay.

To answer your question, Jane - I haven't seen my childhood friend in many years. Last I heard, she and her mother were fine, but she (the daughter) was not doing at all well in life. Her mother wound up marrying an Orthodox Jew! Go figure.

Panni

« Reply #184 on: July 05, 2004, 07:49:16 PM »

That's okay, Jay - My error gave you yet another chance to post. Why aren't you at some event tonight? Getting lazy?

Jay

« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2004, 07:49:56 PM »

...Correction... It was actually Jay.

Thank you, Dear Reader Panni.

Jay

« Reply #186 on: July 05, 2004, 07:52:32 PM »

That's okay, Jay - My error gave you yet another chance to post. Why aren't you at some event tonight? Getting lazy?

Am I not allowed one night off now and then?

Jeesh!  I did go to the movies today and I even filed a mini-review.

Ahh, the sad life of the cultural barometer.  No rest for the weary.

Jay

« Reply #187 on: July 05, 2004, 07:54:02 PM »

And apropos to some earlier conversation:

the grass chez Dear Reader George must be awfully high.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #188 on: July 05, 2004, 07:54:22 PM »

Last night we watched DUMMY, quirky, enjoyable performances, a movie worth watching, IMHO.   Now I’m off to watch PITCH BLACK.

Goodnight.

Jay

« Reply #189 on: July 05, 2004, 07:54:54 PM »

unless, of course, he's using scissors to cut it!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #190 on: July 05, 2004, 07:57:38 PM »

I was wondering were everyone was, I just hadn't turned the page.  ;D

Jay, I don't want tofu in my onion soup. :D

Jay

« Reply #191 on: July 05, 2004, 08:01:27 PM »

Jay, I don't want tofu in my onion soup. :D

That's odd.  You put it into every thing else you eat!

???

Jay

« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2004, 08:05:48 PM »

Ooh!  Ooh!

I see Dear Reader ArnoldMBrockman is logged in.  Perhaps he will check in and ply us with tales of how he is doing and how his son, errant and truant though he may be, is doing as well.

If he does so, perhaps our nine guests will be enticed to leave lurking behind them and join us as posters.

Jay

« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2004, 08:07:56 PM »

Ooh!  Ooh!  Ooh!  (That is three oohs.)  Dear Reader Jason is on-line, too.  Perhaps he can ply us with songs about his old Kentucky home.

Jay

« Reply #194 on: July 05, 2004, 08:12:06 PM »

Today's column title has precipitated sleepwear ads at the top of the page.  I think Dear BK should come up with daily column titles designed to provoke titillating and/or humorous ads.

Jay

« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2004, 08:14:21 PM »

Dear Reader George or no Dear Reader George, I can only be my own posting frenzy for so long.  I'll be checking in later this evening.

:-*

Jason

« Reply #196 on: July 05, 2004, 08:16:49 PM »

I'm home. My day started at 8:00 and hasn't really stopped since. And it didn't help that I didn't get to bed til nearly 3:00.

A good thing happened, though...our flight out of Louisville was overbooked, so I volunteered to be re-routed--a gesture for which I was given a free round trip ticket to anywhere in the continental U.S. or Canada! Woohoo! That could come in especially handy since I met someone in Chicago and would love to go back to visit, should this person want me to do so.

This person and I went out on a date (!!) while I was away and now I am totally smitten. I'm afraid, though, that in my eagerness to finally have someone's affections that I may have scared this person away, and the thought of that completely destroys me. Never mind the fact that this person lives in a different state--the idea that this person may never call me again is what depresses me most. And all because I pushed too hard. Of course, I could be completely wrong and things may be fine. All I know is, I'm completely mixed up right now--I can't eat, I can't sleep, I can't concentrate on anything without thinking of this person that I've only known for a week. I'm totally consumed and I haven't the foggiest idea why. Perhaps I'm spilling my guts too much to you guys, but I have to get it out or I'll bust. I went to the gym to try to work off some of this anxiety and frustration and it seemed to help for a bit. I guess only time will reveal what will happen, and if nothing happens, then I guess time will have to heal everything. Oh! A Jerry Herman reference...

I hate to admit it, but I forgot to get the recipes from my mom. I was so busy this past week that I had NO time to even look for them. I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.

And if anyone has any suggestions on how to forget someone, please let me know...

Jay

« Reply #197 on: July 05, 2004, 08:17:26 PM »

Ooh!  Ooh!

I see Dear Reader ArnoldMBrockman is logged in.  Perhaps he will check in and ply us with tales of how he is doing and how his son, errant and truant though he may be, is doing as well.

If he does so, perhaps our nine guests will be enticed to leave lurking behind them and join us as posters.

Sho'nuff, Mr.Brockman the elder and three of our guests disappeared as soon as I posted this.

Jay

« Reply #198 on: July 05, 2004, 08:22:15 PM »

[Dear Reader Jason:]
I hear singing and there's no one there
I smell blossoms and the trees are bare
All day long I seem to walk on air
I wonder why
I wonder why
I keep tossing in my sleep at night
And what's more I've lost my appetite
Stars that used to twinkle in the skies
Are twinkling in my eyes
I wonder why

[The HainesHisWay.com Chorus:]
You don't need analyzing
It is not so surprising
That you feel very strange but nice
Your heart goes pitter patter
I know just what's the matter
Because I've been there once or twice
Put your head on my shoulder
You need someone who's older
A rubdown with a velvet glove
There is nothing you can take
To relieve that pleasant ache
You're not sick
You're just in love

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #199 on: July 05, 2004, 08:32:49 PM »

Tonight, der Brucer decided what he really wanted was soup.  For a treat, we dropped by one of the local Chinese fast-food joints, and picked up some hot-and-sour soup, which was exactly what he wanted.

Lots of bean sprouts, strands of egg, and tofu.

But don't tell der B that, because he loathes tofu (with the exception of when it's in anything he's had that's had it in it).

:D :o ;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #200 on: July 05, 2004, 08:34:08 PM »

Since I went to the cookout yesterday, I had fried chicken today for my own 4th of July feast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jason

« Reply #201 on: July 05, 2004, 08:36:50 PM »

DR Jay: That's what DR Laura told me, too. How is it possible to be "in love" with someone you've only known for a week?? That even freaks ME out! I think it must be infatuation. Still and all, I don't like it...well, I do...but it complicates things so much more than I can handle right now and I'm not sure what to do. Ah, well...such is life, I suppose...

Matt H.

« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2004, 08:40:39 PM »

After digesting the whimsy and diluted innocence of BIG FISH, I have pulled TRICK off the shelf and will re-watch it in its entirety tomorrow.

Panni

« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2004, 08:57:18 PM »

Jason - First of all, don't worry about spilling your guts. HHW is a safe place for gut spillage. Secondly, rather than letting the feeling of love/lust/infatuation, whatever it is, torture you, enjoy it. It's a GOOD thing to have your emotions awakened after they've been dormant for a time. This person may call you, or may not call you... At this point there's not much you can do -- Except call him. Actually, why can't you call him? A nice friendly call saying you've arrived home safely, you enjoyed your time together... Nothing major or threatening. How do you know he's not going through the same thing you are? Why assume that he's calling the shots and it's all up to him. What are YOU, chopped liver?
... Okay, that's it from Dr. Panni (that's "Doctor", not Dear Reader, although I am that, also. Well, I'm not really a doctor, but I can give it a shot.)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2004, 09:00:15 PM »

Well, I spent this day of my life at the end of this holiday weekend at the movies.  The Lovely Wife & I took in Broadway- The Golden Age.  Which was swell.  Even sweller, the film-maker Rick McKay was there for a Q&A after the film.  We also spoke with him for awhile after the Q&A (in fact, invited him to go out to dinner with us, but he had some PR to do).  Hearing of his travails in getting this made, I was amazed that none of the well-heeled faction of Broadway showed any interest in helping this.  They are only interested in making money now. They have no concern for perserving this legacy.  Even PBS said it wasn't for their demographic and said if he had used younger actors talking about it second hand, they might bite.  What hypocritical assholes!  Who the Hell do they think their demographic is anyway?  What they need to do ?Another Michael Flatley Fleet of Flames rather than a documentary about one of the greatest periods in Broadway history recounted by the people who actually saw and lived it?

Terrific movie!  Great stories!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 09:02:15 PM by Charles Pogue »

Panni

« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2004, 09:01:26 PM »

And... why do you want to immediately forget this person. Is this person a terrible person? Is this person in another relationship and not available? Is this person a fan of George Bush? Why jump immediately to wanting to forget?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2004, 09:05:42 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, after spending most of the day doing nothing - and I mean nothing(!) - I finally made the effort to get my stuff together and head back down to Richmond.  But, truly, all I really did today was eat, watch TV and nap.  Repeat. ;)  I just felt very non-motivated and tired today.  At least I didn't have to do anything today, so...  I guess I was just taking the Federal holiday.  Ah, well...

The drive back was non-eventful traffic-wise, and I managed to miss all the thunderstorms that were popping up all over the place.  However, the skies provided quite a bit of entertainment.  Every once and a while I would pass some (possibly rain-delayed) fireworks, or the sky would light up with lightning.  Or both.  It eventually became a guessing game for me - fireworks or lightning?

Once I got back, I just put my bags down in my room and headed out for a walk up and Carytown.  I just had to do something physical today.  And it was a great night for a walk.  The rain had cooled things down, and the wet streets and sidewalks reflected all the various street lights, headlights and store lighting.  I'm glad I got the walk in.

Then it was back to the apartment for a shower...  My roommate actually cleaned the bathroom!!!!  YIPPEE!!!  And now I'm here on HHW, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jason

« Reply #207 on: July 05, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »

DR. Panni: I love that these emotions have been awakened in me. The problem is, there are so many of them running through me now that I virtually have verbal diarrhea, and I'm afraid I've already said some things that were taken the wrong way and may have run him off. And now that these emotions are awakened, I'm also painfully aware of just how lonely I really am, and those are feelings that I'd rather have not awakened because now I'm totally miserable.

As far as who's calling the shots--I've been the one to initiate communication for the last three days. We've been text messaging on our phones (it's cheaper and doesn't use up our minutes), and as we all know, one can never register tone when one is reading a message. I also have this horrible fear that I'm being bothersome when I try to contact this person. It's nothing that they've done, necessarily, to make me feel that way--I'm just that insecure. I'm 27 years old. I just went on my first date and had my first kiss. I guess it's natural to "fall in love" with that first person. I should be happy...you're right. I just miss this person terribly already, and I'm so mad at myself for not being more careful with my words. I guess only time will tell what will happen... Thank you for your advice and council, Panni. I needed it.

Addendum: I don't want to forget this person because of the things you listed. To my knowledge, there is no one else, and this person is perfectly wonderful, which is why I'm having these feelings. I don't want to forget this person at all, really. I just don't want to be all mixed up anymore, but I guess that comes with the territory.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 09:09:44 PM by Jason »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #208 on: July 05, 2004, 09:07:55 PM »

I'm not sure if it's a sign of age or a sign of the dismal state of movies...but the last two movies I've wanted to see have been documentaries.  At the theatre, they showed a preview for another one I want to see about this disgraceful Bush administration entitled, I think, Orwell Would Roll Over In His Grave.  And they had a poster for another one out the lobby...the title of which I don't remember... but is about the far right's attempt for ten years to get Bill Clinton.

Matt H.

« Reply #209 on: July 05, 2004, 09:15:15 PM »

I just hope I getg the chance to see BROADWAY - THE GOLDEN AGE. Will there be a video release down the road?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up