Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: PULLING YOUR WEIGHT  (Read 21902 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:PULLING YOUR WEIGHT
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2004, 02:38:20 PM »

Good afternoon all
I am here in the burg of Ellen, taking a break from helping my mother do some work.  I can relate, DR Sandra...the nerve that mothers have, making their daughters work!
Last night DR Jed and I saw a community production of Fiddler.  Let's just say it was better than we had expected.  Musically the show was quite strong, and their Tevye was solid, so there were some good moments.  One of my dear friends played Motel, his first real lead role.

Today I shall either be staying here and helping my mother more, or going back to Tacoma to sit around like so much fish.  Time will tell.  

I just ate some yogurt with fresh raspberries (picked from our backyard) and a bit of chicken salad.  It was good.  

Blue jeans and tank top...both rather dusty and dirty from being down in a basement all day.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #91 on: July 11, 2004, 02:38:46 PM »

Welcome back, DRelmore, and thanks for the postcard!

Yes, DRderBrucer - he will be recognized at once as a Norwegian Bachelor!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #92 on: July 11, 2004, 02:40:48 PM »

Are The Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman coming to deeveedee anytime soon?

The first four seasons of Six Million Dollar Man and the first season of Bionic Women are already released on DVD in the UK Amazon - UK

BUT - they are Region 2 encoded.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #93 on: July 11, 2004, 02:41:56 PM »

We are now officially clobbered.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

DERBRUCER

« Reply #94 on: July 11, 2004, 02:46:57 PM »

DerBrucer - if you want to be truly sadistic, you have to post pics of steaming cups of Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha Grandes. . . .and other assorted coffee beverages.

First he hunts whales, then he's a Rainmaker, and now you tell me he brews coffee?

der Brucer (who thinks td should keep Minx away from Mocha Grandes)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #95 on: July 11, 2004, 02:53:57 PM »

...I've been doing two weeks' worth of laundry in the basement as I unpack...

::working on the visuals::

Step 1. Fill basement with water
Step 2. Empty multiple cartons of detergent into basement.
Step 3. ....

wait - isn't spin-drying going to be a problem?

MBarnum

« Reply #96 on: July 11, 2004, 03:00:11 PM »

DR Jason, I used to watch Wonder Woman too...seems to me that there was a blonde wonder woman to begin with...Cathy Crosby maybe? Anyway, she all of a sudden turned into Lynda Carter, who I agree was the best person for the role.

Welcome back Elmore3003! We missed you!

Emily

« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2004, 03:12:22 PM »

Jason, your Wummer Woman story made me laugh.

The show was my brother's favorite when he was younger too.  In fact he provided a blood sacrifice the day we moved into our current house 20+ years ago because of the show.  My parents had gotten a mattress and a tv set up in the master bedroom to keep him and my older sister occupied when they organized the rest of the move - ironically to make sure they didn't get hurt in the mayhem.  They happened to turn the channel to my brother's favorite show.  He jumped up on the mattress and started spinning around like the Wonder Woman character in excitement.  Then, because of the unsure footing from the mattress beneath him, he toppled over directly onto the metal headboard and, to make matters worse, rolled onto the top of our radiator cover.  He was a bloody mess and my parents had to forgo the moving for the emergency room and some stitches.

Needless to say, we tease him about that all the time... :D  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jason

« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2004, 03:26:24 PM »

MBarnum: The pilot episode is included on the Wonder Woman DVDs, and while there was a blonde Wonder Woman, it most certainly was the ever-lovely Ms. Lynda Carter. Here's the low-down: Her mother, played by Cloris Leachman in the pilot and subsequently played by Morticia Addams, was having a contest to find out who was the strongest, smartest and most agile of all the Amazons, so that the winner could return Major Steve Trevor to the United States. She didn't want Diana (Wonder Woman) to compete because she was the princess (where was Drusilla at this point?), but Diana was too smart for her mother and dressed herself in a long blonde wig and ended up winning the contest. Even then, Diana knew the value of a bad disguise. So perhaps that's where you got the idea that there was a blonde Wummer Woman. Or perhaps they had originally cast a blonde in the role and ended up going with Lynda. Either way, W.W. was never a blonde in the comic books...

Michael

« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2004, 03:29:10 PM »

I could have sworn that I posted several times this morning and now they are not there. Old age creeping up on me
Never stop dreaming.

Jason

« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2004, 03:31:56 PM »

Welcome home, DR Elmore!

Emily: I feel your brother's pain. I used to spin and spin and spin and I never did become anything but dizzy. One Saturday morning (back when they had good cartoons on "Cartoon Day"), I had finished watching "Scooby-Doo" and I thought I'd be funny and go wake my parents. Now, I should establish this story a bit better, but...it was my habit to get up at the crack of dawn on Cartoon Day (Saturday), get out my sleeping bag and go snuggle into it on the floor of the family room for a few hours in my Batman underoos. That particular day, I decided to be a Scooby-Doo ghost, so I threw the sleeping bag over my head and went for my parent's room, moaning "oooh....OOOOOHH!" I attempted to sit down on the side of what I thought was my parents' bed, and instead missed by several feet and cracked my head open on their bedside table. Where was Wummer Woman then?? That's one of the only times I've ever heard my dad use the word "Shit." I got seven stitches and never put that sleeping bag on my head again.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 03:38:17 PM by Jason »

Michael

« Reply #101 on: July 11, 2004, 03:41:35 PM »

From what I remember in the David Merrick bio regarding Robert Horton I believe he was forced on the production because he was a hot commidity at the time, He left a successful tv series as he thought he was hot stuff. He did the show but was never able to achieve the success he had with the tv series.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #102 on: July 11, 2004, 03:46:09 PM »

Robert Horton Wagon Train Days (the series he left for 110 in the shade

Robert Horton as Strabuck with Inga Swenson

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #103 on: July 11, 2004, 03:48:01 PM »

Robert Horton 1995

Never stop dreaming.

Robin

« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2004, 04:01:46 PM »

I used to watch Wonder Woman too...seems to me that there was a blonde wonder woman to begin with...Cathy Crosby maybe?

Yup.  It was Cathy Lee Crosby.  I think she wore a brunette wig in her transformation into Wonder Woman.  ABC did a Wonder Woman pilot movie two or three years before the series, but obviously it didn't work the first time.  

Lynda Carter, however, made it work.

Oh, and by the way...Welcome Back, Elmore!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 04:05:40 PM by Robin »
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2004, 04:08:54 PM »

He's more proof that Lynda Carter was was Wonder Woman...notice the resemblance???

Robin

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2004, 04:11:43 PM »

And another example...too bad they didn't keep the cunning star-spangled skirt, though...

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2004, 04:13:16 PM »

Welcome back. Elmore!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2004, 04:18:29 PM »

Dear Reader Robin, I can't imagine being able to run in that Wonder Woman outfit, much less saving the world.

Well, the Diamondbacks lost 2 to 9. Clobbered. What did I tell you?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Robin

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2004, 04:28:23 PM »

Dear Reader Robin, I can't imagine being able to run in that Wonder Woman outfit, much less saving the world.

Well, being a superhero, she can do things you and I can't.  It's one of the perks.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2004, 04:32:33 PM »

And we have no pictures because......

I know I have posted a picture of Keith with his beard.  There will be some coming from our trip once he organizes & crops the photos.

Jason

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2004, 04:33:03 PM »

Robin...if you'll recall in the TV pilot, Diana came out in her traditional Wonder Woman costume and had a wrap-around skirt with it...blue and covered in stars. The queen suggested she get rid of it for easier movement. Leave it to a queen to tell her to take off more clothes. She also has a star-spangled cape (red, white and blue, of course), and in one of the last episodes of the first season (the episode with Roy Rogers), she's dressed in some pretty tight white pants, a red silk blouse, her magic belt, the truth lasso and those kick-ass boots.

My favorite little character trait that Lynda had was after she'd spin and transform into Wonder Woman, she always made sure to adjust her belt--and sometimes she'd secure her tiara, too. I love that. It shows that Lynda was at least attempting to find a character. From what I understand, her acting improved by leaps and bounds in the second and third seasons.

And can we talk about those bulletproof bracelets? I think all New Yorkers need those. I can't explain it, but every time she becomes Wonder Woman and that great theme song starts to play and she does something totally kickass, I get really energized and happy. I don't know how she kept everything inside that bustier, but God bless that costume designer. Haha!

Jane

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2004, 04:34:20 PM »

And DR Jane: How in the world do you know you're allergic to marijuana...?  :P

;D Just put me in a room with people smoking it and I can't breathe very well.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2004, 04:38:43 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from auditions... 'nuff said - again, I'll wait for Herr BK to share his thoughts, opinions and remembrances of this morning once he's able to log on and post.

Back from BK's Storage place... WOW!  We had a pretty successful music hunt while we were there.  There was only one box/one piece we weren't able to find - it's most likely missing.  Thankfully, that one piece should be able to be procured with a phone call and/or an e-mail or two.  Additionally, as I was shuffling all the various and sundried boxes of music and papers, I managed to come across some various and sundried CDs... ;)  -And I may actually make a return trip to BK's storage place at a later time, and help him get it a bit more organized.  But we all had a great time looking through the boxes, and we even found some more possible material for the revue.

Back from lunch...  After leaving the storage place, we all headed over to Art's Delicatessen for lunch.  BK, Tammy and I were seated in a nice booth, and ordered and lunched.  The onion rings were/are quite good.  And my pastrami and chopped liver sandwich was quite filling and good too.  We would have stayed for dessert, but the waitress informed us that they do not serve pies!?!?!?!  WHAT!?!?!?!  Just strudel, pastries and cookies.  But no pies!  -Even she suggested The House of Pies...  So, we gathered ourselves up and headed on our merry ways.  -And, no, we did not end up heading over to the House Of Pies.  At least not this time.  *I may head over later myself for my "dinner-dessert".

So, now I'm back at my friend's place, and we're listening to Bobby McFerrin Live while he's actually doing a small photo shoot in his living room - a still photo for an album cover.  Yes, my friend, Chris, is quite talented - photographer, musician, composer, conductor, steel drum player, Mac enthusiast, etc.  And he's also a damn good friend too if I may so myself!

Well, I think I may take a short nap now...

Laters...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 04:41:23 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2004, 04:43:11 PM »

Frozen - ugh!

I want my food fresh.

I want fresh killed tofu in my "ain't-got-no-chicken-in-it "pot pie.

I didn't say it was great, but it has satisfied a craving once in awhile.  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2004, 04:45:16 PM »

I've been watching the first season of Lost in Space on deeveedee.  The first dozen or so episodes are terrific, but the series went downhill really fast...!

And someone at CBS really like Bernard Herrmann's music.  I recognized some theremin stuff from The Day the Earth Stood Still, as well as some cues from Journey to the Center of the Earth and, I believe, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

Actually, it was someone at 20th Century-Fox, which produced the "Lost in Space" TV series and for whom Herrmann had scored ALL those films, the music of which remains in the 20th Century-Fox vaults and all of which have received spiffy CD releases with splendid sound.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2004, 04:45:51 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2004, 04:51:39 PM »

Every time I passed a subway stop, I wondered how people use them...  There's often very little of interest in the immediate vicinity of these places.  I can't imagine what it's like to be in L.A. without a car.
It does require some imagination, plus the ability to plan ahead.  As it is, I managed quite well for more than twenty years.  

Using the subway in LA usually means also using the bus system.  The connections are quite good.  It's a bit like using the busses and subways in NYC, where knowing how to make the connections counts.  The difference is that the LA subway system is clean, spacious and safe, where NYC's needs a good scrubbing, is claustrophobic and requires nerves of steel at the odd hours.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2004, 04:58:38 PM »

First of all, Welcome Back, Elmore!!

Secondly:
The first four seasons of Six Million Dollar Man and the first season of Bionic Women are already released on DVD in the UK Amazon - UK

BUT - they are Region 2 encoded.

der Brucer

If one has a region-code free DVD player (such as one can get at hkflix.com), it would be NO PROBLEM to purchase and view these DVDs!  I got the British release of the new "Battlestar Galactica" from England because according to amazon.com, it's:

"NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title."

But you CAN get it from England (which I did)!  The first three seasons of "Futurama" (I love this show!) were released in England even before the second season was released in the U.S.  The fourth season won't be released here until August 24!  That's not fair! :'(
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2004, 05:02:32 PM »

George, looking forward to it, but if it’s heavy I will understand if you change your mind.

Danise Keith has heard of Vonage. Voice over Internet Protocol is the technology.  I haven’t a clue what it is about.

DerBrucer that second photo really was cruel.  
I think Lindsey Wagner does the bed commercials because it really did help her.  We got one of those mattresses for me.  I don’t like it and Keith does.

Panni, I’m sorry but I was very disappointed with Gerbeaud and I assure you I tried very hard to find something I liked.  I found the cakes to be dry and everything had too much cream.  Everything was beautiful, I just didn’t care for them.  It was the same with just about every dessert we had on our trip.  You would think I would have quit ordering desserts, but they were too beautiful to resist.  I finally would take a bite or two then trash them.

Matt H.  Monk isn’t bipolar (manic depressive), he suffers mostly from obsessive compulsive disorder and is claustrophobic and acrophobic.  I don’t recall him being afraid of the dark in the past.  I think he can get some of his problems back under control and still be a brilliant quirky detective.

HI ELMORE, WELCOME BACK!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2004, 05:04:05 PM »

I'm finally back and to prove it I'm here.  And elmore is finally back - hoo and ray!  Elmore, we need to find an actor pronto -sort of a thirty to forty-fivish Bert Convy type.  I had Kirby Tepper, who's fantastic, but he can't do it now, and I haven't seen anyone who comes close to what I need.  I need someone who can be funny and irreverant but also deliver a poignant ballad if need be.  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up