Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ALL-DAY AFFAIR  (Read 13371 times)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
Re:THE ALL-DAY AFFAIR
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2004, 11:27:08 AM »

Good morning all.  
Well, I've been spending my weekend in Ellensburg, catching up with friends that I hadn't seen in awhile.  Full moon last night was gorgeous!  I ended up walking home from a friend's house at about 3 am, and it was a beautiful, albeit short, walk.

DR Jane - so glad you weren't hurt when you fell yesterday!  My mother took a spill on some cement last time the two of us were out for a walk..it wasn't good.  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2004, 11:27:29 AM »

Hey, I started page two!  :D

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2004, 11:35:35 AM »

I have finally caught up with my emails and last nights posts.  I go out on a Saturday night and it gets busy here.  

MBarnum I see you modified your post from yesterday, followed by Tomovoz  ;D

Jennifer, I have THIRTEEN on my Netflix queue, but have no interest in seeing MONSTER.  I can understand why the mother enjoyed CALENDAR GIRLS more than she did, but I still think it is an entertaining movie.  Did you laugh during the previews?

RLP  :) yes I found the missing water bottle, right where I left it.

Danise I’m only taking the photos, Keith is still putting them on the computer and downsizing them for me to transfer.

Tomovoz I see you did have a beautiful blue moon as we did here. :D

JRand 53, so nice of you to talk MBarnum through his software problem.  I’m sure you didn’t have an ulterior motive whatsoever. ;)

Wlajb where in West LA do you live?

TCB I haven’t solved my pet sitting problem yet, but that doesn’t mean everyone else can’t get together, which I believe is still the plan.  If I’m lucky it will be solved by then, if not I will return to Portland at some time since my son lives there.

TCB (II) I hadn’t thought of the entire brochure.  That would be very nice.  I was just thinking of the clear photo you mentioned.

Jane

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2004, 11:44:56 AM »

CATS
LE MISERABLE

I need to move around now.  My upper body is rather sore today, especially my arms.  I don’t think I will be working out for a few days.  :-\ I cheated this morning and just took a short walk with Echo, only 45 minutes.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2004, 11:59:12 AM »

I do see what DR Noel is saying re: MISS SAIGON.  But I have seen it quite a few times, and I never found the suicide to be glorified.  I thought she was stupid.  And it is really sad/heartbreaking to see that she and Chris will never be together.

I can't imagine that anyone watching the show would think that she did the right thing or that suicide was a good idea.

Although that said, I don't think any of us here understand what her life would have been like in Vietnam, and then after.  She was in the middle of a war, she was a dancer, and then forced to be a prostitute.  

Yes, she decided that it was best for her child to go to the US.  And yes, in her head killing herself was the way to accomplish that.  But I found the whole thing sad.

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2004, 12:01:33 PM »

I like Les Mis.  And I even think Cats has some merit.  I remember my mom and grandmother taking me and my sis when we were little, and it was very exciting.

I'm not overly fond of Phantom.

One show I love is Evita, my favorite ALW.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2004, 12:10:46 PM »

Drats I wrote a message to DR MattH, and don't see it. Something must have happened with my computer.

Anyhow I wrote that I hope you have a great time at MAMMA MIA.

I saw it in London and again in Toronto and I just knew it would be popular in NYC.

It's not clever like Sondheim, but it's fun and the music is fun.   And what is clever is how they have woven a cute little story around this wonderful ABBA songs that everybody knows.

The show isn't serious theatre.  But the dancing and atmosphere is so wonderful, you cannot help having a good time.

I hope you give it a chance.  If you do I think you may have a good time.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2004, 12:14:44 PM »

I am heading to Ventura next weekend to see Side By Side By Sondheim with Miss Teri Ralston, the very pregnant Miss Tami Tappan Damiano and Mr. Davis Gaines.  They are rotating special guest narrators through the run.  Do I get to see Miss Betty Garrett?  No.  Do I get to see Miss Polly Bergen?  No.  Do I get to see Miss Donna McKechnie?  No.  I get Richard Kline.

:(
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2004, 12:18:51 PM »

Have spent a delightful early afternoon watching two Hercule Poirot episodes - "The Tragedy at Marsden Manor" and "The Mystery of the Spanish Chest" - and then ED WOOD.

Doing my afternoon surf before I have to think about getting ready for tonight's dinner and show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2004, 12:21:12 PM »

Re R. Kline: Maybe he'll be funny?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 12:22:21 PM by Panni »

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2004, 12:24:25 PM »

I have talked to almost no one who has not found MAMMA MIA entertaining, so I'm hoping I'll think so, too. I guess I meant by posting what I did this morning that on paper, it doesn't seem like it would be my kind of show, but I didn't have the highest hopes for AVENUE Q either, and I walked out of the Golden Theater with tears in my eyes because I didn't want it to be over. The fun, the imagination, the delightful cast, the perky songs, and endless creativity were a tonic, and I'd go back to see it again in a heartbeat.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2004, 12:25:38 PM »

Last night I watched a DVD of a live benefit concert sponsored by BroadwayWorld.Com, a site I don't usually visit.  At least half of it was like amateur night at a gay bar... two hosts who I will not name but need to be taught the difference between gay and screaming queen, and a female standup comic who got no laughs at all, plus a couple of bad singers.  However this was made up for with a few old pros like Andrea McArdle, Allison Fraiser (with a delightful song about being the only NY actor who has never guested on LAW AND ORDER), Max Von Essen and Susan Egan.  However isn't Ms. Egan a bit long in the tooth to be doing "Joshua Novak"?

I also listened to a wonderful new recording of early Jerome Kern songs by San Francisco's "42nd Street Moon".  Note to DR Elmore: you are thanked in the credits for introducing the producer to Kern in the first place.

I am now listening to "Caroline, Or Change".  It came off a lot better on stage than it does on CD.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2004, 12:25:51 PM »

With all due respect for legendary veterans like Betty Garrett or Polly Bergen, I think I'd rather have Richard Kind as the narrator of this show, one of my favorite revues of all time, BTW.

Jane

« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2004, 12:25:58 PM »

Ann I forgot to say thank you.  If one must fall soft dirt is far better than concrete.  Was this recently your mother had the fall?  I hope she is now well healed from her mishap.

td

• td
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2004, 12:29:12 PM »

Not only have I heard "Hang Down Your Head, Tom Dooley" in MISS SAIGON's score, I have also hear Piaf's "Les Trois Cloches!"
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2004, 12:41:54 PM »

I received my 2004-2005 UCLA Live brochure yesterday, and they have put together what surely must be the most eclectic series of live performances on the planet.

One offering that caught my eye was a recital by Miss Jessye Norman at Royce Hall.  Care to guess what the prices are for this recital?  Mind you, this is a recital.  A singer, a piano and an accompanist with an unpaid student to handle page-turner duties.  

$112/$90/$65.  And they shouldn't even be selling tickets in the $65 section as Royce Hall is too large a venue for a vocal recital.  This is the most expensive event in the entire brochure, which includes theatrical, dance and symphonic events that involve hundreds of people.

I like Miss Norman.  I think Miss Norman is a great soprano.  Alas, I shall not be hearing her recital.  Not at those prices.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2004, 12:49:09 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2004, 12:52:57 PM »

DR Jane, you simply MUST find a pet sitter!! We are all looking so forward to meeting you and Keith!!! There must be some suitable pet sitters in the Rogue Valley! Or just  bring all the critters to Portland with you! LOL!

TCB, I interviewed Van Williams over the telephone so I did not see what he looks like currently. He had the same voice, however, and was a fun guy to talk to. I Know I would LOVE to see him when he became a police officer in real life!

Favorite country songs...wow, there are so many, but I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN and RING OF FIRE are to faves!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2004, 12:55:41 PM »

Started watching another Bollywood movie last night which I am now going to finish watching. It is called TOOFAN and it is a lot of fun! It is from 1970 but is in black and white (I think the budget was a bit low on this one!).

I think you could call it a Curry-Western as it is very much like one of the old 1930s/40s B-westerns. In fact one of the gangs in it dress just like Zorro! LOL!

Those Indians, what will they think of next!

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2004, 02:01:56 PM »

DR MattH, re: MAMMA MIA & AVENUE Q.  I haven't seen the latter, but I've listened to the cd, and it is extremely clever.  MM is to me the complete opposite of that.  It is a big extravaganza.  It is a dance fest.  It is a minimalastic story, put together around the hit songs.  It is actually a totally different type of theatre from what I normally enjoy.

Panni

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2004, 02:09:38 PM »

I took another photo of Pete the turtle, but it won't connect to the Server. I'll try again later. He's moving around like crazy today. Got stuck under a chair and was moving the chair with him!

Panni

« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2004, 02:10:44 PM »

All I feel like doing today is sleeping. MUST WRITE! Somebody tie me to the desk.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2004, 02:38:39 PM »

I just sent a PM to Ann, Jane, Jed, JMK & MBarnum.  Are there any other Pacific Northwest HHWers that might be interested in getting together in Portland on Saturday, August 21??  That's the day that I have tickets to the Antiques Roadshow!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2004, 02:39:28 PM »

TCB!!!  I can't believe I forgot TCB!!  I'm very, Very, VERY (that's three "verys") SORRY!!  I'll send you the message, too!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2004, 02:49:09 PM »

For no particular point to make.
"Tom Dooley" is from a song in 1868 the lyrics were written for a real situation. The melody may well go back much further to Europe. The Three Bells was from a song written in 1945 - once again I believe based on a much older tune.

Isn't it wonderful how trash is loved by so many and makes so much money too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2004, 02:55:38 PM »

One man's trash is another man's... garbage.

Panni

« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2004, 02:57:36 PM »

Still can't post my turtle pic. It's very frustrating. He's a handsome fellow and I'd like to share his cute face with you all. But technology has once more screwed us. (That's a technical Internet term.)

Michael

« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2004, 03:21:57 PM »

I am heading to Ventura next weekend to see Side By Side By Sondheim with Miss Teri Ralston, the very pregnant Miss Tami Tappan Damiano and Mr. Davis Gaines.  They are rotating special guest narrators through the run.  Do I get to see Miss Betty Garrett?  No.  Do I get to see Miss Polly Bergen?  No.  Do I get to see Miss Donna McKechnie?  No.  I get Richard Kline.

:(

I thought Richard Kline was in NYC getting ready to take over the Richard dreyfus role in Sly Flox
Never stop dreaming.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2004, 03:26:25 PM »

I don't have a favorite country song.

I am watching an infomercial for some exercise machine.

I am drinking a Cherry Coke.

The end.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2004, 04:01:02 PM »

And we're still on Page 2... Skammen.

Panni

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2004, 04:01:33 PM »

We really need to get to...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up