Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ON LOCATION  (Read 14591 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ON LOCATION
« on: September 02, 2004, 12:03:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been on location with the notes, the notes have been on location with you and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home from location.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 11:59:55 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:ON LOCATION
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 12:20:16 AM »

I can't say that I have "favorite" lyrics, but there are some that I love. For example, one that just popped into my head which never fails to make me smile, from "I Get a Kick Out of You" (Cole Porter, natch)...

My story is much too sad to be told,
For practic'lly everything leaves me totally cold.
The only exception I know is the case
When I'm out on a quet spree,
Fighting vainly the old ennui,
and I suddenly turn and see
Your fabulous face!

That is just SO good! A whole dramatic structure and story in seven short lines.

More tomorrow....

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 12:54:15 AM »

Panni, I love that song.  I've even performed it (with the venue-appropriate non-gender-specific but non-internal-rhyming lyric:  "Flying too high with someone in the sky"...I didn't want to sing "some girl." ;))

I love the six-rhyme lyric from "Ah, But Underneath" from the London production of Follies:

From the depths of her interior
Were fears she was inferior
And something even eerier
But no one dared to query 'er
Superior
Exterior
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 01:31:32 AM »

One and one-half wandering Jews
Free to wander wherever they choose
Are travelling together
In the Sangre de Cristo
The Blood Of Christ Mountains
Of New Mexico
On the last leg of the journey
They started long ago
The arc of a love affair
Rainbows in the high desert air
Mountain passes slipping into stones
Hearts and Bones

(Paul Simon)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2004, 01:50:54 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

Not much to report today.  I stayed "home" for most of the morning and early afternoon, then headed to Hollywood for rehearsal with Tammy and Bruce.  Then after rehearsal, I ended up meeting up with a friend of mine who's another conductor/pianist type, and we went to dinner.  We ended up at "Mo's" in Toluca Lake.  Great burger!!  I had the "Slam Dunkburger" which has plum sauce and dijon mustard on it - I ordered it since I thought it was an interesting combination of condiments, and it turned out to be quite a delicious combination too!  -The sweetness of the plum jam worked well with the sharpness of the dijon mustard - and all of that on top of a very good burger (good beef, and just the right amount of char on it - and still cooked a perfect medium rare!  Yum!

After dinner, we headed out to his place for some margaritas and some hot tub time!  The hot tub felt soooo good!  Just what my back muscles needed.  It was also a beautiful night out, and it was great just being able to kick back and relax for a little bit.  And it was also great catching up and trading war stories from our various gigs.  He then drove me back to the homestead, and now I'm here...

Thus concludes Jose's L.A. Adventures for today. :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 01:52:17 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 02:14:32 AM »

Catching up from yesterday...

RE: The Baker's Wife, "Meadowlark", etc.. - I worked on a production of the show a couple of years ago that was directed by Scott Schwartz, Stephen Schwartz's son.  It was one of the first productions where Joseph Stein and Stephen Schwartz had done some major overhauling of the book - and of the score.  For some unknown reason, I loved the show - warts and all.  There was a greater emphasis put on the townspeople, and that helped to ease the blow of Genevieve's infidelity against The Baker.  It provided a better sense of community and how the actions of Genevieve affected the town as a whole.  Of course, as a result of this, it ended taking away some of the emphasis from the love triangle.  Ah, well...  *But I did manage to snag a page in Mr. Schwartz's own hand of the new ending he wrote for one of the songs!

And as much as I like the solo numbers in the show, I truly love the ensemble numbers.  Just some great music, and, I think Schwartz actually achieved a Gallic touch in some of the writing.  Unfortunately, the only place to hear most of the choral numbers is on the 2-CD set made of the London production a couple of years ago on JAY.  The Genevieve seems totally vocally miscast to me.  -Thus, that's my least favorite version of "Meadowlark".  But I think she was married to the director, so...

As a side note, "Meadowlark" is also one of those "hard piano songs" that women bring in for auditions and just "sing" instead of "tell the story".  Yes, it's nice to know you can belt and mix, but what else can you do?  -I also just think it's just a bad song to bring in - especially if you're only doing 16 bars or so.  It's a story song.  I wanna hear the whole story - not just the Cliff's Notes version. ;)

As for my favorite version of the song, it would have to be the one I heard one of my "belting" students sing in class a couple of years ago.  This girl was amazing.  She was just 15, but had/has an amazing instrument, and some great natural acting chops.  When she got to "..her Meadowlark had died.." she would get this incredible "look" on her face... you could see tears starting to well up in her eyes... And, suddenly, you found them welling up in your own eyes.  The sense of loss was so palpable.  And then she would finish the song, and somehow the song made sense, the journey made sense.  And with a potentially "confusing" song/lyric, that's a great feat to accomplish.

*And on "The Stephen Schwartz Album" I had actually hoped that Alice Ripley would be singing "Meadowlark"...  Ah, well...

**I have heard some hopeful and good news about the upcoming production at Papermill Playhouse which is based upon the version they did at Goodspeed.  We shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 02:40:17 AM »

Catching up on yesterday... Part II

RE: SwishySarah, To Circle or Not To Circle, To School or Not To School...

First the "circling" - I think you may just be reading too much into the situation.  Whenever I've seen that option posted on an audition form, it's simply there to help the production staff know who to consider for what once they start coming up with the callback list.  I find there's nothing wrong with indicating which roles you'd like to be considered for.  This way you won't be wasting their time, and, more importantly, they won't be wasting your time putting you through a callback for a part that you're not interested in.  Also, there's nothing wrong with just wanting to be in the show, in any capacity.  I have a bunch of friends in the business who are actually happiest being in the ensemble.  In most shows, they actually end up getting to sing more, dance more, have more costumes, etc., than the leads  -And there's none of that "leading lady/man" pressure worry about.  They just love being in the theatre!  But if you want a lead, Go for it!

As for schooling... That really is a tricky question, and I'll try to keep my answer as brief and non-contradictory as possible.  And I'll start off with this:

The one "complaint" I have about some of the major university training programs is that they are turning out "triple threats" - good actor, good dancer, good singer.  However, they're just "good" at all three things, and not "great" at any particular one.  The emphasis seems to be on "creating" very good ensemble and chorus people, people who will get into shows on Broadway - and then the school can add their names to the "famous alumni" list.  Yes, it sounds like a very broad generalization, but I've actually heard those sentiments from faculty members and administrators.

However, there really is nothing wrong with being a "triple threat".  But...

I'd advise going into an good acting program which allows you to take dance and music classes as part of your curriculum.  There really is greater stress nowadays on the "theatre" side of "musical theatre".  You'd be covering a lot of great history and background, the stuff that led up to the formation of "musical theatre".

However, on the plus side of a musical theatre program - or any program - you'll be surrounded by others going through just what you are going through.  That sense of camaraderie can sure come in handy during the inevitable tough times.

The big catch to look out for is whether a university's Music Theatre program is part of the Music department or the Theatre department.  -Just how many years of music theory do you really want to take?  But if you like music theory, then more power to you!

Finally, I'd say the big thing to remember is that you always have a choice and follow your instincts.  If you "know" that a particular voice teacher just doesn't get that you want to "do" musical theatre, then change teachers.  If you sense that a particular acting teacher will not provide you with the skills and encouragement you need, then put in a request to change teachers - or even, secretly if you have to - take some classes somewhere else, with someone else.  If you feel like you're wasting your time in any class you're taking, then see about switching to another class/subject.

In short, it's your choice.  Set aside some good time to think about it.  Write out lists.  Compare curriculums.  Do your "homework".  My favorite lyric from Sunday in the Park with George comes to mind right now: The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not... Move On.  -We all make mistakes.  The trick is to not let those mistakes stop us dead in our tracks.  We should learn from them, take something positive away from the situation (even it's just something as simple as, "I'll never do that again"), and then take another step forward.  -And to quote another Sondheim show, "Now you know!"  ;)

Was that confusing enough for you?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 02:47:44 AM »

As for favorite lyrics and rhymes...

One of my favorites, which is an "interesting" favorite happens to be from The Baker's Wife in the number "Bread" that the townspeople sing:

"What is so luscious
As a brioche is"

Yes, I know it's a bad rhyme.  -Is it technically a false rhyme"  But I guess I just love the use of the word "brioche" in a lyric.

As for other favorites, they'll have to wait until morning... I must get some sleep.  Now.  It's late.  It's early!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 03:01:37 AM »

OH, BK... -And L.A. denizens...

Unfortunately, "Broadway: The Golden Age" will be closing tomorrow/today, September 2, at the Laemmle Fairfax.  So... Ah, well...

However, "Broadway: The Next Generation" is due up next, so...

*And the DVD of "Broadway: The Golden Age" will be out later this year with extra footage, plus "sneak peek" footage of "Broadway: The Next Generation".

**However, "Broadway: The Golden Age" is being shown this Sunday and Monday (maybe later in the week too) at 11:00a.m. at the Laemmle Monica in Santa Monica.  So...  If you need to take a break from all the workers in your house...

http://www.laemmle.com/theatres/monica/monica.html
*Just click on Sunday and Monday to see the movie listed.

http://www.broadwaythemovie.com
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 04:36:50 AM »

Catching up on the postings. Going back to read the BK notes. But I can guess what today's topic is.

Moving stuff away from the windows just in case Frances drops by. When she throws a party is stays thrown.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »

To all DRs who have expressed interested in the cds I will deal with it when I get back and if the house is still standing.
Never stop dreaming.

Tomovoz

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 04:52:55 AM »

Have a great trip Michael.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

beckon

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 05:46:59 AM »

Lyricists!  The poets of the theatre.

My favorites(in no particular order): Lorenz Hart, Cole Porter, Alan Jay Lerner, Dorothy Fields, Carolyn Leigh, Howard Ashman.  Of course, I have to include the best lyricist(and composer) of the past 40 years: Sondheim (yes, I am a Sondheim fanatic!).  But I think my favorite lyricist is Oscar Hammerstein.   I have noticed it has become very popular recently to knock Hammerstein and say that his work is "inferior" to Hart's.  This happened quite often during Richard Rodgers' 100 year anniversary.  Well, I just love his work.  It is so simple, yet so rich.
My favorite lyric by his is in my signature.  This is the intro verse to the reprise of "Sixteen Going On Seventeen."  I find it touching, honest, and beautiful in its simplicity.  Less is more.
I could still go on.....but I won't. :)
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

beckon

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 05:49:04 AM »

Do any DRs have any thoughts on the work of David Zippel and Ellen Fitzhugh (sp?) ?  I am not that crazy about either of these lyricists, but they always seem to get work and be working.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 05:59:27 AM »

Here's the first selection. More to appear through the day.

I Could Write A Book/Lorenz Hart/Pal Joey:

If they asked me, I could write a book
About the way you walk, and whisper, and look.
I could write a preface
On how we met
So the world would never forget.

And the simple secret of the plot
Is just to tell them that I love you a lot.
And the world discovers
As my book ends,
How to make two lovers
Of friends.

mrkdl73

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2004, 06:24:56 AM »

Good morning!  

Is it me or does anyone else when going to an old column from the Column Archives have two colors of print, a lighter shade before where the Unseemly Button would be and a much easier to read darker shade after where the UB would be.  Does it make any sense what I am asking?  

Maybe it's just me in the midst of my allergy attack.  I can't wait for winter!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2004, 06:29:56 AM »

THE PICTURE IN THE HALL
                                           Craig Carnelia

In her hand she holds a small bouquet
In the distance, there's a Chevrolet
In the corner, there's a tree
Only half of which we see
In the churchyard with the bride
And the soldier at her side
And she's got wavy hair
And she wears her shoulders all but bare
And the soldier looks her way
On a breezy Brooklyn day
In the forties, in the fall
In the picture in the hall

And a cloud is passing by
In the moment, in the sky
And it's captured like the faces, and the flowers, and the car, and the gown
In a hundred shades of brown
In the churchyard, in the fall

On the wall;
Feelings whirling round and around
In the hall;
Gravel on the ground.
I recall
Listening for the sound without sound
Round and around

There's a frame around the breezy day
There's a path around the tree
There's an arm around the bride
And a private sort of pride
In the woman in the fall
In the silence in the hall
In the rustling in the gown
In the hundred shades of brown
In the churchyard in the breeze
In the whirling in the freeze
In the feeling in the fall
Frozen in the fall
In the forties on the wall
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2004, 06:30:08 AM »

Another favorite -

I Talk To The Trees/Alan Jay Lerner/Paint Your Wagon:

I talk to the trees
But they don't listen to me
I talk to the stars
But they never hear me
The breeze hasn't time
To stop and hear what I say
I talk to them all in vain

But suddenly my words
Reach someone else's ears
Touch someone else's heartstrings, too
I tell you my dreams
And while you're listening to me
I suddenly see them come true

William E. Lurie

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2004, 06:31:21 AM »

BK - Is it just a coincidence that the ads on the first page of this here site that comes up features ads for plumbers and home repair?

Jose - According to what the director said after a screening in NY, "Broadway the Next Generation" will be included in its entirety on the DVD of "Broadwat the Golden Age", not released to theatres.  Since that was a couple of months ago, I am wondering if that has changed.  What was your source that it would be released to theatres first and when did this info come out?  I'm wondering if plans have been changed in the last couple of months.

Although Maria Irene Fornes is not necessiarly my favorite lyricist, she did write my favorite lyrics for Al Carmines' PROMENADE:

To walk down the street
With a mean look on my face.
A cigarette in my right hand,
A toothpick in my left.
To alternate between the cigarette
And the toothpick... ah that's life.

Yes I have learned from life.
Every day I've learned some more.
Every blow has been of use.
Every jar has ben a lesson.
Yes I have learned from life
But what is plain to see
Is that life hasn't learned from me.

(Originally sung by Madeline Kahn)
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2004, 06:52:26 AM »

Ok, believe it or else, one of my favorite song lyrics is from the 1960s pop hit RED RUBBER BALL by The Cyrkle. It goes:

The story's in the past
With nothing to recall
I've got my life to live
And I don't need you at all
The rollercoaster ride we took
Is nearly at an end
I bought my ticket with my tears
That's all I'm gonna spend
And I think,
It's gonna be alright
Yeah,
The worst is over now
The mornin' sun is shining
Like a red rubber ball

I have always thought  that it was clever.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2004, 07:00:48 AM »

Such wonderful lyrics and already so early in the day.  

Hmmmmmmm.....to begin:

"Some people sit on their butts.
Got the dream, yea, but not the guts."

I likewise love the lyric to "No More."

And on a more generic and plebian note:

"Love is a many splendored thing
It's the April rose that only grows
In the early spring.

Love is nature's way of giving
A reason to be living
A golden crown that makes a man a king.

Once on a high and windy hill
In the morning mist
Two lovers kissed
And the world stood still.

Then your fingers touched my silent heart
And taught it how to sing.
Yes, true love's a many splendored thing.............."

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2004, 07:01:39 AM »

Or Red Rubber Ball, yea that's good, too!

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2004, 07:03:31 AM »

DR Jennifer, and other fans of SURVIVOR: my friend Ron and his partner Pat are in Las Vegas this week and Ron called me last night as they were passing by a charity event of some sort in which quite a few of the Survivor castmates were there...as he was speaking to me on the phone he saw Rupert, Burton, Colleen, Jenna, Sarah and several more whose names he couldn't remember right off hand...no Sonjia however :(

He said that Burton looked mighty fine!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2004, 07:04:40 AM »

Okay....well....yes, folks, it is excitement time.  It is not the ON LOCATION excitement that Mr BK is having BUT -yes, it happened in Athens....no....well it happened in Greencastle.

Last night our Axel quit the play.  He said he was tired of getting notes and thought the director should be more encouraging.  She said her job was to direct the show, and that we were NOT high school students.

Of course, I was backstage in my underwear changing out of my costume and MISSED all the drama.  I put on my pants and went out into the house and it was all over....  Darn!  Well, we have a NEW Axel and 7 days to put on THE NERD....

Share some vibes with us, if you can spare 'em!

Michael

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2004, 07:19:16 AM »

At work we are preparing for the worst. Moving the machine to the back of the store.
Then I will go home and take photos of the house and the interiors.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2004, 07:21:01 AM »

One Tin Soldier

Listen, children, to a story
That was written long ago,
'Bout a kingdom on a mountain
And the valley-folk below.

On the mountain was a treasure
Buried deep beneath the stone,
And the valley-people swore
They'd have it for their very own.

Go ahead and hate your neighbor,
Go ahead and cheat a friend.
Do it in the name of Heaven,
You can justify it in the end.
There won't be any trumpets blowing
Come the judgement day,
On the bloody morning after....
One tin soldier rides away.

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2004, 07:22:15 AM »

The Fool On The Hill

Day after day alone on the hill,
The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still,
But nobody wants to know him,
They can see that he's just a fool,
And he never gives an answer,
But the fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down,
And the eyes in his head,
See the world spinning around
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2004, 07:23:11 AM »

Eleanor Rigby

Ah, look at all the lonely people
Ah, look at all the lonely people

Eleanor rigby picks up the rice in the church where a wedding has been
Lives in a dream
Waits at the window, wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door
Who is it for?

All the lonely people
Where do they all come from ?
All the lonely people
Where do they all belong ?

Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2004, 07:31:17 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]A BIG Happy Birthday to

DR RLP
[/move]
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2004, 07:35:24 AM »

Happy Birthday RLP!!

And whose idea was it to name that *&%# hurricane - Frances?  :o
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 07:36:05 AM by JRand54 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up