Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SVELTE ME  (Read 15227 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE SVELTE ME
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2004, 08:01:18 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - FOLLIES (PaperMill Playhouse production)

DVD- YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER (no surprise there)

DVR - NBC's FATHER OF THE PRIDE

Laserdisc - GUYS AND DOLLS
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2004, 08:03:36 AM »

I pulled out the Ted Chapin FOLLIES book, and it seems that "Uptown-Downtown" was replaced because audiences weren't making the connection between "hyphenated Harriet" and Phyllis Stone. Also, the powers that be felt "The Story of Lucy and Jessie" had a more Cole Porter ring to it since many of the songs were deliberately pastiche reconceptions of older ZIEGFELD FOLLIES (and other revues) numbers.

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2004, 08:04:42 AM »

Thanks for the William Inge bio info, DR JRand.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2004, 08:05:58 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, DR MattH!!![/move]
I see flags, I hear bells,
There's a parade in town.
I see crowds, I hear yells,
There's a parade in town!
I hear drums in the air,
I see clowns in the square,
I see marchers marching,
Tossing hats at the sky.
Did you hear? Did you see?
There's a parade in town?
There are drums around me!
'Cause a parade's in town!
Now I'm dressed at last,
at my best, and my banners are high.
Trust me, I'm quick at getting ready,
When there's a parade in town!

(with sincere apologies to the lyricist)

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, DR Sigerson Holmes![/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, DR Joy Dewing Katz![/move]
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 08:07:43 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2004, 08:17:57 AM »

DR RLP - I like what is printed under your photo....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2004, 08:19:26 AM »

YW DRMATTH.  And now that you write about the FOLLIES song, it is all coming back to me.....like a dream....like a show in a crumbling theatre....

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2004, 08:21:51 AM »

There has been a bio of Inge....  ;D

http://www.kansaspress.ku.edu/voslif.html

That's the one I remember, in my mind's eye.  But whether or not I ever read it, I still can't recall.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2004, 08:23:42 AM »

DR MattH:  I think you have the proper take on what transpired on Big Brother 5 last night.

Adria is totally in denial that she has, in any way, done anyone wrong. She chooses, instead, to adopt a hypocritical attitude toward having done to her and Natalie what she and Natalie did when she was HOH and what they both did to Will.

Marvin correctly called her out on her using the Bible (and in her nominations of Will and Marvin, using a dream in which Jesus came to her and told her to nominate them) to justify her actions.  She's a looney tune with a looney tune sister.  She's that most horrible of things -- a fanatic.

Her kindly feelings toward the idiot Michael (aka Cowboy the Snitch) and Karen are hilariously odd. Michael has aligned himself with every "asshole" in the house.  He has trashed his real sister -- who has been the one, TRULY honest player, who plays with INTEGRITY -- and called Adria his sister.  Michael thinks he's a stud, that America loves him and that he has an unlimited future in acting/entertainment.  He constantly sucks up to his betters and presumes he's one of them.  I admit that's a crass way for me to put it, but that's the way he comes off to me...because he honestly believes he's better than his real sister who has outclassed him in every respect during this game.

It took about 15 minutes last night before I realized that his comment, "What a wake we've had", was actually referring to the "week" rather than some commemoration of a dearly departed soul (it could have been Natalie).  That's entertainment...oh, yeah!

Drew is spinelessness personified.  I have zero respect for him and I hope he's brought down soon.

I thought his nominations were truly indicative of his trustworthiness as a person and player.  I hope the male nominee wins golden power of veto.  

It will take a miracle for the two best/most worthy players to make it to the final two.  Those two are Nakomis/Jennifer and Marvin.

Karen's a candidate for third place, but her little act has worn out its welcome (i.e., poor helpless overpressured me...I'm going to faint if I have to express a true opinion).

They're a wierd, wierd group!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2004, 08:37:36 AM »

DR RLP - I like what is printed under your photo....

;)

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2004, 08:40:07 AM »

I'm getting off the internet now and watching -- you guessed it -- YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER. (That is, unless when I go to my mailbox, I have waiting for me DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE. If it comes today, all bets are off!)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2004, 09:18:30 AM »

Does Darby O'Gill have both Sean Connery AND Walter Brennan?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2004, 09:27:12 AM »

My adventures with the Adelphia TV Repair Person:
The sound on my TV suddenly went wacko a few days ago. I replugged everything, but it didn't help. So Adelphia showed up this morning. I let him in the backdoor of my guest house so that he didn't enter through the bedroom - unseemly - plus the wonderdog was locked in there so he wouldn't bark at the Adelphia man. So when I went out to the yard to tell him to come to the back, I walked through a spiderweb or something that had been built during the night. Fine. So as the repairman is doing his work, I keep hearing a strange buzzing. I'm thinking it's the TV until I realize that it's coming from my hair. EWWWWWWW! i shook my hair, brushed it, yelled at it -- and the buzzing creature is gone. But may I repeat... EWWWWWW!!!
The repairman reconfigured everything so that the digital cable box is now connected directly to the TV, rather than coming throught the VCR -- something the person who first set up the operation said couldn't be done. The only thing is that my VCR now no longer works. This guy says that's where the sound problem was and that my VCR is a goner. I dunno, folks. But he did give me a new remote. The fault is in my TV I do believe, in that it doesn't have the proper outlets at the back, so I have to unplug and replug if I want to watch a DVD. When I move one of these days, I'll get a new TV. A new VCR might be more imminent as I do tape things.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2004, 09:30:32 AM »

...I believe I used the word "so" 4000 times in the above posting. Do I get the So-So prize?

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2004, 09:58:17 AM »

DR MattH:  I think you have the proper take on what transpired on Big Brother 5 last night.

Adria is totally in denial that she has, in any way, done anyone wrong. She chooses, instead, to adopt a hypocritical attitude toward having done to her and Natalie what she and Natalie did when she was HOH and what they both did to Will.

Marvin correctly called her out on her using the Bible (and in her nominations of Will and Marvin, using a dream in which Jesus came to her and told her to nominate them) to justify her actions.  She's a looney tune with a looney tune sister.  She's that most horrible of things -- a fanatic.

I don't think saying anyone has the "proper take" is right.  We just disagree.  I'm surprised that you guys feel as you do.  But I guess a lot of it has to do with what each person thinks Adria's motives were.   I still think they were good.

I just read the canoe site, and some posters have felt as you guys do.  However John explained why he disagrees (he seems to feel the same way as I do).

I also disagree with you about Marvin.  Yes, he sort of had some decent points.  But Adria was not trying to disrespect anyone with her goodbye speech.  She was merely explaining the reality.  Those houseguests who shunned her this week are stupid.  And I find Marvin made a stupid move last night by making that scene.  He lost Adria's vote.  She will tell Nat, so he lost her vote too.  And he lost Cowboy/Drew/Karen's vote (because they support Adria and think Marvin made a fool of himself).

With that one move, Marvin lost any chance of winning.

To me a game like BB involves thinking.  Even if Marvin wanted to voice his opinion, he shouldn't have done it that way.

Her kindly feelings toward the idiot Michael (aka Cowboy the Snitch) and Karen are hilariously odd. Michael has aligned himself with every "asshole" in the house.  He has trashed his real sister -- who has been the one, TRULY honest player, who plays with INTEGRITY -- and called Adria his sister.  Michael thinks he's a stud, that America loves him and that he has an unlimited future in acting/entertainment.  He constantly sucks up to his betters and presumes he's one of them.  I admit that's a crass way for me to put it, but that's the way he comes off to me...because he honestly believes he's better than his real sister who has outclassed him in every respect during this game.

I have not been thrilled with Cowboy in the past.  But I respect his loyalty to others.  If he gives his word, you know you can put it in the bank.

I do not find Jen classy.  I did appreciate her honesty in the beginning. But now I do not care for her.  She made promises to Cowboy (not to nominate him) and I'm pretty sure she would have done so had she won HOH.  She was too vindictive re: will's eviction.

And don't even get me started on will. He says he was the bigger person.  I have never seen anything so much opposite of that.  I am disgusted by his behavior now.

Drew is spinelessness personified.  I have zero respect for him and I hope he's brought down soon.

I thought his nominations were truly indicative of his trustworthiness as a person and player.  I hope the male nominee wins golden power of veto.  

It will take a miracle for the two best/most worthy players to make it to the final two.  Those two are Nakomis/Jennifer and Marvin.

I actually think Drew is brilliant.  I think his noms could work big time. I think the female nom is a ruse.

It's funny but I could not disagree more with your choice for final two.  Right now I hate diane the most.  Then Marvin and jen.

I would like drew to win.

Oh and btw, I'm sorry I disagree with most of your points.  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  We just seem to come at things from a totally different point of view.

I do respect your feelings. And I know that MattH and some other DRs agree with you.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 10:02:28 AM by Jennifer »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2004, 10:04:05 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DRS MATTH, SIGERSON HOLMES AND JOY!!

Beautiful flower, Tom! Thanks for posting it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2004, 10:10:51 AM »

Thanks for the Inge info Jrand.  I think I'll order that book.

Speaking of books, I am currently reading GERTRUDE LAWRENCE AS MRS. A by Richard Aldrich, her husband for the last ten years of her life.  This covers the years after STAR, but in STAR she meets Aldrich after LADY IN THE DARK, whereas they were already married when she did it.

By the way the DVD release of NEW YORK, NEW YORK has been delayed from December to February 15.  And a new 6 CD Soundtrack set of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT will be out shortly after the first of the year with much of the extra material different from the now out-of-print 6 CD set released in 1995.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2004, 10:21:50 AM »

DR Jennifer:

re: Big Brother 5 -- disagreement:

No offense taken.  I fully expect us to disagree and to post our differing views.

That's what makes it interesting.

As for the use of "the proper take" -- it IS the proper take, "in MY opinion", of course!

:)

As for Marvin losing all those votes....I'm absolutely NOT sure about that at all.  I think most of the houseguests feel the same way about Adria.

All the arguments you use to favor Drew and Karen and Cowboy (and in absentia, Adria), are equally applicable to favor Jennifer and Diane and Marvin, IMO.

We simply have our favorites and we don't like it when someone hurts them or doesn't like them.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2004, 10:23:51 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATTH, SIGERSON HOLMES AND DEAR READER NOEL'S EVER-LOVIN' JOY!!!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2004, 10:24:49 AM »

Thanks for the Inge info Jrand.  I think I'll order that book.

Speaking of books, I am currently reading GERTRUDE LAWRENCE AS MRS. A by Richard Aldrich, her husband for the last ten years of her life.  This covers the years after STAR, but in STAR she meets Aldrich after LADY IN THE DARK, whereas they were already married when she did it.

By the way the DVD release of NEW YORK, NEW YORK has been delayed from December to February 15.  And a new 6 CD Soundtrack set of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT will be out shortly after the first of the year with much of the extra material different from the now out-of-print 6 CD set released in 1995.

There they go again...MESSING with original presentations and adding EXTRA materials to sets that were far too costly when the original 6-CD set came out.

I ain't buying another set...no way, nohow.  Not until it's offered at a HUGE discount like the last one was two months AFTER I paid big bucks for it.  I saw that 6-CD set go for $25.

I guarantee it'll happen to the next version.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »

Where did dear reader Jay and cronies and Jose end up going last night - I recommended Astro Burger but I doubt they went there.

Michael

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2004, 10:42:08 AM »

I am here in Sunny LA. We were over two hours late getting in. They could not find a 5th flight attendant to take the flight. Everyone was booking off. They finally found one. Didn't get to the hotel 1am (LA time) and it was at least another hour or so before I got to sleep.

Today the Coles Notes tour of LA for my friend, lunch with my cousin comedy writer David Shayne and then to the Hudson Theater to see What If? Looking forward to seeing it.

Try to catch up tomorrow with some pictures. I will also catch up with all the notes and other postings when I get back

And oh yes I lost my car keys somewhere in the Miami Airport. Will deal with that when I get back.
Never stop dreaming.

Jay

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2004, 10:42:27 AM »

I think dear readers Jay and Jose and cronies must have really tied one on not to have made their usual late night postings (not the cronies, just Jay and Jose).  

I'm here, I'm here.  (Dear Reader Jose, however, remains under the spell of Mr. Sandman.)

As faithfully reported by our Dear BK, indeed I did return to see What If?  A Musical Revue again last night and it was even better the second time around.  (Oh.  A Sammy Cahn/Jimmy Van Heusen reference.)  It was much tighter than on opening night; last night the first act just flew by.  Tammy's new song is infinitely superior to the one that it replaced and I could see how the cast members have grown nicely into their songs, dance routines and various schtick.

I brought a couple of friends with me to the show, and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived at the theatre to run into two other friends to whom I had recommended the show.  All four of my friends--"cronies," according to Dear BK--had a great time and will spread further word-of-mouth.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2004, 10:45:36 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAYS TO :

D.R. MATT H !!

D.R. SIGERSON HOLMES !!

and

D.R. JOY !!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 10:46:17 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2004, 10:53:28 AM »

But where did you EAT?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2004, 10:54:08 AM »

Just looking at the word EAT, which, of course, could also stand for... wait for it... Errant And Truant.

Jay

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2004, 10:59:49 AM »

After the show Dear Reader Jose and I went to The Other Side.  No, not that Other Side, but rather a piano bar in the Silverlake area of Los Angeles.  There's a gal by the name of Lori Donato who plays and sings there on Thursday nights whom I really enjoy, and this is the second time I've enticed Dear Reader Jose to come with me to enjoy her talents.

Miss Donato is very happy to share the microphone and her piano with willing guests, and I can tell you that one thing I learned last night is that Dear Reader Jose has a beautifully sweet tenor voice.  Some in the bar were being a little rowdy and noisy last night, but once Dear Reader Jose stepped up to the mic and began "I Have Dreamed," the whole place quieted down and gave him its full attention and, at the song's conclusion, a hearty ovation.  He followed that triumph by tickling the ivories and accompanying Lori as she sang "Hey There," also to much acclaim.

It's true, we were at the bar well past the point at which my coach had turned back into a pumpkin and my steeds into unseemly rodents, so we did not get home until very late and were remiss in posting our late night thoughts.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 01:46:31 PM by Jay »

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2004, 11:01:37 AM »

DR Jennifer: re: Big Brother 5 -- disagreement:

No offense taken.  I fully expect us to disagree and to post our differing views. That's what makes it interesting.

As for the use of "the proper take" -- it IS the proper take, "in MY opinion", of course! :)

:)

As for Marvin losing all those votes....I'm absolutely NOT sure about that at all.  I think most of the houseguests feel the same way about Adria.

Read the canoe link I gave earlier.  I believe MANY of them were not happy with Marv.

We simply have our favorites and we don't like it when someone hurts them or doesn't like them.

I suppose that could be true.  But I try to be as objective as I can. For instance while I like Adria, I know she made a dumb move nominating Will the way she did.

And I've actually gone from disliking to liking certain people.   In the beginning I didn't like the way Marvin was acting.  But he started to grow on me.  And knowing how big a fan he was of Y&R, I was thrilled for him.

Also, I hadn't cared for Cowboy.  But he is sort of growing on me. I liked how he befriended Adria when she was down.

And Karen, who you guys know I've disliked, made some smart moves this week.  She didn't ruin her chances by keeping Adria.  Yet she also befriended her.

And as for Drew, he wasn't always my favorite.  I didn't like when he was with the 4 Horsemen. And how he was working both alliances.

But his character has impressed me of late.  I like how he's been friendly with Cowboy and Adria.  ANd he seems like a really decent guy.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2004, 11:04:06 AM »

Can any cooking people here tell me what you guys call rosee sauce (with an accent on the first e).

I know that is what we call it here.  But I'm trying to find a recipe for it. And it's only giving me french recipes.  So I was wondering if you guys have a different spelling. Thanks.

(it's the creamy tomato style sauce).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2004, 11:14:41 AM »

What a wonderful time was had by DRJAY and DRJOSE...well hmmmmmmmm....so, I ask, what are DRJOSE's "bits" in the show?  I think I have asked before, and I don't think I got an answer.  If I did get an answer, I don't remember it.  So what IS the answer?

Jay

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2004, 11:15:26 AM »

But where did you EAT?

We didn't EAT.  We DRANK.  Dear Reader Jose had a Coke and I had something somewhat more potent.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up