Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MAKING A DENT  (Read 12169 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:MAKING A DENT
« Reply #120 on: September 19, 2004, 08:44:04 PM »

I wouldn't bother with that, Dan. I'm not at all shy that way. My biggest problem is that I don't have wall space ANYWHERE.

Can they be decoupaged to the outside of the house? :)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #121 on: September 19, 2004, 08:46:24 PM »

PAGE FIVE DANCE!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 08:49:01 PM by Panni »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: September 19, 2004, 08:46:48 PM »

Okay, did anyone else not get the "joke" between Chris Noth & Sarah-Jessica Parker when he asked her to marry him?  It seemed very awkward.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #123 on: September 19, 2004, 08:49:06 PM »

And does anyone else feel that Gary Shandling is really having an off night?  I don't think he's funny at all. :-\ And I've liked his work in the past.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: September 19, 2004, 08:49:24 PM »

Re: The Importance of Being Earnest:
Oh, the play is a jewel.  Unfortunately, the production of which I saw the first half last night featured--at best--amateurish acting and a concept that did the play no justice.  Resetting the play in London of the "go-go" 1960s made the characters' manners completely anachronistic.  The female roles were played by men, as advertised.  The costumes were the least of the problem, though I do hope to never again see Lady Bracknell costumed in a white pant suit.  The worst aspect of the what I saw was that a.) the female roles were not masculinized but b.) the men playing them did very little to feminize their characters'  behavior.  The most egregious element in the whole mess was Miss Prism's dark Fu Manchu moustache, a reflection not only of the director's poor judgment but also the actor's questionable sense of personal fashion.
You DID say this was a production staged in Orange County, CA, right?  I recall a few nights in Garden Grove, where they boys were all dressed that way.  I'd say everyone just raided their closets...and that nothing has changed much in the area.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2004, 08:51:04 PM »

Sharpest joke so far from Shandling: "Fox news has just declared George Bush the winner in Florida."

Panni

« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2004, 08:52:19 PM »

And does anyone else feel that Gary Shandling is really having an off night?  I don't think he's funny at all. :-\ And I've liked his work in the past.

I think his material is good, but his delivery is strange.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2004, 08:52:54 PM »

A question of Etiquette, DRs... what would Emily Post say? Is it rude to have nude drawings of oneself on the wall?
On an interior wall, no.  Posting them on the front door, on the other hand, could raise a few eyebrows.

:-*
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2004, 08:54:36 PM »

Never been a Shandling fan, even on his old HBO series that was lauded to the skies.

Conan O'Brien is very funny later on in the show, and made a wonderful host two years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2004, 08:56:31 PM »

Most cringe-worthy moment so far... Jeffrey Wright speaking about the devastation of AIDS as the music gets louder and louder trying to drown him out. AAAARGHHH!

Panni

« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2004, 09:01:20 PM »

Nice moment - the director of the Emmys winning and being given his Emmy in the control booth as he directed his aacceptance speech. Cutting to his parents, counting down as he played himself off, etc.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: September 19, 2004, 09:04:57 PM »

I've obviously seen too many award shows.  This Emmy broadcast seemed to me like a retread of so many others.  Even Merle Streeps' dress looks like she's worn it before.

SPOILER: She's got the best two lines in the show.  (Sorry, but I had to say it.  The westies will appreciate it later.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #132 on: September 19, 2004, 09:06:20 PM »

Worst dressed male: William Shatner.

Three words: Get a girdle!

Panni

« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2004, 09:10:46 PM »

Elaine Stritch did it again. She was great and, as she said, she wouldn't stop until they dragged her off. Best line: She named one of the producers in her thanks and said, "I didn't like him very much, but he got the money together so tonight I love him."

Panni

« Reply #134 on: September 19, 2004, 09:16:34 PM »

Jon Stewart had about 15 writers on stage with him. Not one woman. I sometimes talk about the "old days" when I was the only female writer on most of the shows I worked on. I guess things haven't changed all that much.

Panni

« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2004, 09:32:28 PM »

Worst dress so far - Mary-Louise Parker. Did she not look in the mirror?

Panni

« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2004, 09:33:18 PM »

It's bad enough watching alone - am I posting alone, too?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2004, 09:35:09 PM »

I asked der Brucer if he was planning on us watching the new show on ABC, Wednesdays at 8.  He gave me a funny look, so I suggested he look it up in the local listings.

"Lost?  Isn't that just some reality show?"  I dug out the TV Guide Fall Previews and handed it over to him to read.  He still wasn't getting it.

It wasn't until I pointed out that it's a new FICTION series by Alias creator J. J. Abrams that he started to get interested.

Then he noticed the pic of Dominic Monaghan, included with the preview.  He'll be watching.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: September 19, 2004, 09:37:00 PM »

Worst dress so far - Mary-Louise Parker. Did she not look in the mirror?
It's the Emmys, framed for television.  All cameras are focused from the boobs up.

George

« Reply #139 on: September 19, 2004, 09:38:05 PM »

No, you're not posting alone, Panni.  And I agree with you about Mary-Louise Parker.  Okay, I'll admit that I'm biased, but I just don't want to look at a woman's boobs on TV...well, actually, at any time.  Nothing personal! ;D

George

« Reply #140 on: September 19, 2004, 09:39:20 PM »

Then he noticed the pic of Dominic Monaghan, included with the preview.  He'll be watching.

He's not the only one! ;)

Panni

« Reply #141 on: September 19, 2004, 09:39:20 PM »

A good friend (and fabulous actress), L. Scott Caldwell, is a regular on Lost.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #142 on: September 19, 2004, 09:41:29 PM »

Der Brucer is frightening me.  Since the other dogs aren't too sure about playing with Fletcher, who (let's face it) is too large and plays too rough for them, he is now considering our adding another dog to the family, to give Fletcher a playmate.

Uh, that would make six dogs.  The youngest two (to make a matched set) being VERY large and energetic.

What is really scary it that his logic makes sense.

:-\

Panni

« Reply #143 on: September 19, 2004, 09:44:22 PM »

That was so strange - -when they cut to Tony Kushner's "husband" (his term) in the audience - he looked exactly like Tony Kushner.

Panni

« Reply #144 on: September 19, 2004, 09:47:44 PM »

Uh, that would make six dogs.  The youngest two (to make a matched set) being VERY large and energetic.
What is really scary it that his logic makes sense.

Sorry, SWW, but IMHO you cannot use the words "six dogs" and "makes sense" in the same breath.

Panni

« Reply #145 on: September 19, 2004, 09:58:36 PM »

Talk about multi-tasking -- I'm watching the Emmys, cleaning my place (just finished), posting, reading the paper and eating popcorn.

Panni

« Reply #146 on: September 19, 2004, 10:02:08 PM »

Well, we're past the ATL mark. And as nobody's around... Au revoir.

George

« Reply #147 on: September 19, 2004, 10:24:34 PM »

Tonight, my computer has been having some minor problems.  My sister's boyfriend (who built my computer and is my tech support) came over and installed Spybot-Search & Destroy that's supposed to be able to find and remove spyware from my computer.  It found over 80 files! :o However, now when I go to the HHW homepage, a pop-up ad pops up!!  What's that all about? ??? Hopefully, Larry can find out what's going on and fix it!

After he fixes that, he has a DVD burner that he doesn't need and that I can have!  Sometime soon, he's going to install it and I'll be able to make my own DVDs!!  Right now, I only have a CD burner and DVD player.  This DVD burner can also burn CDs so I'll have one less piece of equipment.  Isn't that exciting?  Isn't that just too too??

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #148 on: September 19, 2004, 10:30:01 PM »

I'm back from dinner.... UGH!

Let's just go down the list...

We got seated at 7:40.

Our waiter didn't come over for ten minutes for the initial drink order.

We were short one glass of water and one set-up of silverware.  We did not get the additional glass of water nor the silverware until around 8:20!  -Of course, we had made repeated requests since we had sat down.

We finished our bread.  The waiter came over to take the empty basket, but made no offer of additional bread.  And by this time, it was around 8:25.

THEN we finally placed our food order.  -Don't ask why we hadn't walked out by then.  We were having some very good conversation, so...

Then our water glasses were finally refilled.

Our food took a good 40 minutes to get to our table.  Of course, the waiter did not start his "apologizing" until about five minutes before the food was supposed to be on the table.  Five minutes later, he apologized again.

The food came.  Nothing extraordinary.

The grilled calamari salad that was ordered came more burnt than grilled, and there was no dressing on it either.  Thankfully, they took it off the check.

My friend, Mark, and I both noticed something "soapy" with our dishes.  -Like the dishwasher had not properly rinsed the dishes.

In the meantime, parties that had come in after us, had come and left.

The waiter then came over and apologized for the slow service tonight.  He offered free coffees and desserts for the table.  Oh, and he also informed us that he would be leaving, so that another waiter would be taking care of us at the end of the evening.

We placed our dessert and coffee orders.

The coffees took 15 minutes to reach the table.  The desserts soon followed.  More or less.  Three of us got served, then the other three got served 10 minutes later.  Oh, wait, make that two.. They forgot one of the dessert orders.

The pear tart turned out to be a pear charlotte.  One of the guys at the table called it a Pear Twinkie - it was basically lady fingers layered with marscapone cheese and pear puree.  Just all right, not great.  Additionally, it also tasted like they had not cleaned off either the serving "wedge" and/or the knife since there was a trace of "garlic" in the final bites.

The creme brulee was served in the "fashionable" "flat" plate - so there's more surface area for the "brulee".  It works in theory, but then the whole ratio of custard to brulee is out of balance.  Additionally, the custard itself was reportedly lacking any flavor except for "sweet".

Needless to say, the gratuity was meager, but it also seemed like the staff knew they would be getting "shorted" tonight.  -Oh, and the table behind us also had their dessert and coffees comped too.

Ah, well...

We left at 9:50... more than two hours later.

And, of course, our original waiter was actually still there when we left.

At least the company was great.  -And we're still hanging out now... So...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #149 on: September 19, 2004, 11:06:01 PM »

Which restaurant was this, Dear Reader Jose?  I want to be sure to avoid it.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up