Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: PACKED TO THE GILLS  (Read 23289 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:PACKED TO THE GILLS
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2004, 07:20:23 PM »

Sorry but I must say goodnight now. :(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2004, 07:26:50 PM »

Is it a sin to buy so many CDs at once?  Well, I have another box or two coming from Amazon, too.  So I guess I'm going to Musical Theatre Hell.
Part of that is a Bells Are Ringing reference!  Talk about providing proof to the theory!

;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2004, 07:32:50 PM »

A Hungarian dinner... By candlelight, natch...
Hmmm...I've heard of having a liquid lunch, but this is different...

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2004, 07:41:08 PM »

DRFrancois, with the right lighting, you could tour as the old Andrews Sisters!
Which would be more flattering than touring as the Del Rubio Triplets!

::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2004, 07:47:23 PM »

...This Tuesday (Nov 2 -  All Saints Day) is a holiday in this state - "Melbourne Cup Day". The nations stops for this horse race!...
Well, we've got a horse race on that date, too!  And, if the lawyers have their way, we'll get stopped for longer!   ::) :-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2004, 08:01:06 PM »

Our car fall down, go boom!

We were on a return trip from Georgetown, the county seat...you may have heard of the place, it's where the Disney trial about Ovitz's bonus is taking place...where we would have taken pics of one of the dogs at the SPCA.  This is one wierd branch of that organization: They've set up a kennel/pound, where their hours are Monday-Friday from 10 to 4.  They aren't open on weekends.  It seems that they have dedicated themselves to animal control, and not to animal rescue.  

This means that they don't try to place the animals in good homes.  The reason they aren't open on Saturdays these days is because, when they were open, they kept getting people coming in and dropping animals off.  Ohmygawd, that meant they had more animals to take care of!  How horrible!

So instead, they've got the hours they keep to keep those terrible people away (and force them to dump them along the highways, instead).

Several times a month, the Animal Rescue people der Brucer has affiliated himself with get calls to rescue this dog or that, or maybe a half dozen or more.  And it's always at the last minute.  Making things worse, they don't try to provide good pictures of the dogs they DO have, forcing the Rescue people to take pictures through chain link fences.  Think I'm joking?  Take a look at Wolfie here!  This is a Chihuahua they've got caged up!  The world must be protected from these terrible animals!

Bleh.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 08:13:15 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2004, 08:06:09 PM »

Continuing...

On our way back home, as I was saying, der Brucer noticed the dashboard battery light had flashed on.  This was not a good sign.  Nor was the engine temp climbing rapidly.  He turned the air conditioning to high heater, and we lowered the windows; der B was figuring one of the engine belts was in trouble.  Pretty soon, the power steering was failing.

Somehow, we made it to the local Ford dealership in time, before we had an accident.  But the car is in the "hospital" for at least a day, maybe until Monday.  

Good thing we've got some extra cash stashed away for this kind of emergency.

Bummer news, though, is that tomorrow is the Yappy Hour fundraiser at Aqua, and we were hoping to take Zeus, to find him a good family.  That might not come off this time.

Double bleh.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2004, 08:11:51 PM »

In the meanwhile, a box of DVDs arrived in the post.  Half of the box was the That's Entertainment set.  The other half is three films by Tracy and Hepburn: Adam's Rib, Pat and Mike, and Woman of the Year (before Bacall tried to sing it), plus a TV tribute Hepburn made about Tracy.

I've already seen the TE films and Adam's Rib, and I think I remember the tribute (which ended with Hepburn giving a very rambling, tearful "I love you" speech).  But somehow I've missed WotY and P&M.  Time to correct for that.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2004, 08:18:06 PM »

Well, of course Dame Julie can live eprfectly fine and happy without a Tony. I just happen to think she DESERVES one, especially in view of other less deserving "theater artists" who have been given special ones: Diana Ross, Barry Manilow to name just two.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2004, 08:19:40 PM »

Overall I think ADAM'S RIB is the best movie they made together, but I think PAT & MIKE is even more fun (and it has the ever-hunkalicious Aldo Ray in it).

Matt H.

« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2004, 08:21:11 PM »

Watched one of those gay themed DVDs my friend sent me - BREAKING THE CYCLE. Let me just say that Merchant-Ivory's MAURICE is in NO danger of losing its place atop my all-time best gay-themed film

Matt H.

« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2004, 08:22:37 PM »

I also meant to say that I agree with DR Jennifer about Julie's Tony nomination for VICTOR/VICTORIA. Had she not removed herself from competition, I do think she would have won that year.

François de Paris

« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2004, 08:44:03 PM »

Well, of course Dame Julie can live eprfectly fine and happy without a Tony. I just happen to think she DESERVES one, especially in view of other less deserving "theater artists" who have been given special ones: Diana Ross, Barry Manilow to name just two.

I was not being critical of your opinion, Matt, I was just concurring with DiT, I believe, that, after turning down her nomination, the Tony people may have cold feet about celebrating her....

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2004, 08:45:29 PM »

Watched one of those gay themed DVDs my friend sent me - BREAKING THE CYCLE. Let me just say that Merchant-Ivory's MAURICE is in NO danger of losing its place atop my all-time best gay-themed film
Breaking the Cycle is Gay Themed?

You mean it isn't about terrorists at the Tour de France?

Live and learn, live and learn.

;D ;)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2004, 08:47:31 PM »

I was not being critical of your opinion, Matt, I was just concurring with DiT, I believe, that, after turning down her nomination, the Tony people may have cold feet about celebrating her....
Wait, isn't Dame Julie directing The Boyfriend somewhere very soon?

If they could get a Broadway transfer...

I'm not saying she could win best director, but it would give them an excuse to forget V/V and honor her.

MBarnum

« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2004, 08:51:08 PM »

Finally decided what Bollywood movie to watch this weekend...I watched one earlier in the week titled POST BOX 999 which was a pretty entertaining film noir from the 1950s...

François de Paris

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2004, 08:52:34 PM »

By the way, speaking of Dame Julie, apart from Jane who kind of made fun of the costumes she wears in it, I don't recall anyone mentioning Julie's SINGING in the dreadful but fun Princess Diaries 2:

Yes, Julie sings! Briefly, but she SINGS, not à la Rex Harrison; the way she used to, even though it's in a low range, but not basse as she often jokes!
I can tell, it's quite moving!

I don't care what they say about this film, there are not many films for young girls nowadays, and I predict that it's going to sell like hot cakes as dvds!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 08:56:32 PM by François de Paris »

MBarnum

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2004, 08:53:54 PM »

...so tonight I will pop in another 50s Bollywood film noir...this one is called AAR PAAR...looks good!

« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 08:54:17 PM by MBarnum »

François de Paris

« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2004, 08:54:57 PM »

Wait, isn't Dame Julie directing The Boyfriend somewhere very soon?

If they could get a Broadway transfer...

I'm not saying she could win best director, but it would give them an excuse to forget V/V and honor her.

Goodspeed, next August, I believe!

td

• td
« Reply #199 on: October 29, 2004, 08:59:27 PM »

Goodness, gracious!  
What wonderful people are online at the hippest place on the net; tomovoz, francois, tcb, mbarnum to name but a few, these precious few . . .
Watched the next to last episode of BROADWAY, and felt quite inclined to listen to COMPANY, so . . . I am listening to COMPANY.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #200 on: October 29, 2004, 09:01:24 PM »

http://www.goodspeed.org/news/080904.htm

Yes, Dame Julie does it next year.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

François de Paris

« Reply #201 on: October 29, 2004, 09:10:17 PM »

Voilà!

August 22nd 2004 (The Herald Press by Josh Mrozinski)
Goodspeed Musicals to hit the road with Andrews directing
EAST HADDAM -- Goodspeed Musicals is taking a road not yet traveled in 2005 by initiating a national tour of "The Boy Friend" under the direction of Oscar and Emmy Award-winner Julie Andrews.

The tour, which begins in Wilmington, Del. in fall of 2005, will be directed at the Goodspeed Opera House from July 15 to Sept. 24, 2005.

"Who can imagine a better way for Goodspeed to launch its first national tour than with Julie Andrews directing ‘The Boy Friend?’" Michael P. Price, Goodspeed Musicals executive director, asked in a press release from the theater. "We plan to do this every year in an effort to bring the ‘Goodspeed Experience’ to cities across the country."

Bob Alwine, director of touring and line producer, said the national tour was something Price had always wanted to do. He said Price always wanted to promote the theater’s shows to a national audience.

And, although there is revenue potential, Alwine said, there is also brand name recognition.

He said a lot of people know about the theater, but haven’t seen a show.

"There is a brand name to Goodspeed," Alwine, who was hired in 2002, said.

Alwine previously worked at the Old Globe Theater in San Diego, Calif., and the Ordway Center for Performing Arts in St. Paul, Minn.

He said the theater feels there is a national audience for "The Boy Friend", because it is family oriented and enjoyable.

"What Goodspeed does is rediscover musicals that merit to be played again and we feel that there is a national audience for that type of musical," Alwine said.

The show would be produced at the theater with theater cast, the set would be made larger to fit larger theaters and then there would be rehearsals and a technical phase, Alwine said.

The locations for the tour were chosen in cooperation with a booking agency, he said, to give the theater exposure to the Midwest and northeastern areas. Also, the cities chosen are close enough to go from one city to the next in a short time
"We chose these cities because we would like to work with them in the future," Alwine said.

The tour will also go to Boston, Chicago, Greenville, S.C., Hershey, Pa., East Lansing, Mich., Green Bay, Wis. and St. Paul, Minn.

Andrews performed in the 1954 Broadway debut of "The Boy Friend," which is about an English heiress who falls in love with the delivery boy. The musical is a jazzy spoof of 1920s musical comedies.

She also performed in "My Fair Lady," "Camelot," "Victor/Victoria," "The Sound of Music," and "Mary Poppins." In 1973, Andrews won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Variety Musical Series in her television show "The Julie Andrews Hour."

Her directing career began in August 2003 at the Bay Street Theater in Sag Harbor, N.Y. when she created her own version of "The Boy Friend."
------------------------------------------------------------------------

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #202 on: October 29, 2004, 09:10:35 PM »

Good evening, cyber family!

My computer finally got healthy, so I decided to get sick, instead.  A simple little cold somehow managed to turn itself into walking pneumonia, which is a stupid name for an ailment that left me wanting to do anything but walk.  

But I am all better now -- just in time for rehearsal tomorrow and the murder mystery tomorrow night.

Ahhh, life upon the wicked stage!
[/i][/font][/size]

« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 09:16:03 PM by TCB »
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #203 on: October 29, 2004, 09:13:07 PM »

Hello, td, haven't changed a bit -- I hope!!!
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #204 on: October 29, 2004, 09:14:22 PM »

Hello friend TCB. An ailing Scrooge is not a good idea. Leave that to Tiny Tom - sorry Tim.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #205 on: October 29, 2004, 09:16:57 PM »

Precious!!

Those days are dwindling.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #206 on: October 29, 2004, 09:18:09 PM »

Well, hopefully, Tomovoz, I have had my share of illness until after SCROOGE closes in December.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #207 on: October 29, 2004, 09:26:06 PM »

Buenas Noches, François!

(I'm afraid my French is a little rusty)
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #208 on: October 29, 2004, 09:29:20 PM »

rouillé peut-etre.
(can't find the circumflex!!).
James Thurber 1957

François de Paris

« Reply #209 on: October 29, 2004, 09:37:44 PM »

Holla! Senor TCB!
Como esta usted?
Cansado?!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up