Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ  (Read 17442 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« Reply #90 on: November 09, 2004, 04:09:58 PM »

What do you call a group of Hainsies and Kimlets?

Lucky!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #91 on: November 09, 2004, 04:10:52 PM »

At the Academy of Motion Picture of Arts and Sciences headquarters in the Hills of Beverly, there is a lovely state of the art theatre where they periodically mount different film series, oftentimes using reconstructed and/or freshly struck prints.  I went there for the first time last night to see A Place in the Sun, a film I had never seen before.

I was most impressed.  Some of director George Stevens' decisions about how shots were framed, lighted and from what distance they were taken were surprising and added tremendous tension to the story.  Miss Elizabeth Taylor (19 years of age at the time and shown for the first time kissing on-screen) was radiant, and Mr. Mongomery Clift was as wonderfully sensitive and conflicted as only Mr. Clift can be.  The breathtaking performance in this film, however, was delivered by Miss Shelly Winters, in my humble opinion (IMHO, in internet lingo.)  The scene between Miss Winters and Mr. Clift on the boat must qualify as one of the greatest scenes in all of American cinema.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2004, 04:12:45 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
DANCE, PAGE 4!!!! DANCE!!! :o :o :o :o :-* :-* :-* :-* ::) ::) ::) ::) :-* :-* :-* :-* :o :o :o :o :-* :-* :-* :-*[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2004, 04:13:04 PM »

Ginny I saved your site and will read it more carefully later.  I have been in book discussion groups for 24 years now.  

Panni the beautiful opera house was under construction when we were there-sorry no photo.  We did take a tour but the opera was sold out.

Bruce I was in the Land of Ash at my book discussion meeting. Afterwards I went to the park, did some errands and walked Echo before I could come join the celebration.

George I like the fireworks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2004, 04:13:17 PM »

Sometimes writing is like pulling teeth.  But the good news is the end is in sight.

Marcy, the Marketing Lady, is working like crazy to get my book in the stores.  We're also talking about doing a launch party in NY at the end of November.  I'll keep you posted, but if it comes to pass (it would happen at a wonderful mystery bookstore in the Village) we will have to fill it up with many many people.  Won't that be fun?

td

• td
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2004, 04:21:20 PM »

Let's take a glass together, in celebration of the good life!

[size=8][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! H A P P Y   A N N I V E R S A R Y ![/move][/size]
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2004, 04:28:24 PM »

It's 1:30 here --  perhaps time for bed. (I just made some popcorn and almost set the place on fire - micro was too hot.)
My last day in Budapest tomorrow. In the evening we go and see Cabaret. Thursday morning I set out for the airport at 4:30 AM!
Once more - happy anniversary.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2004, 04:30:29 PM »

Jose I’m so excited you will be playing for Penny’s show-gosh I wish I could go.  Best of all it is because I introduced Penny to this site.  I also kept sending her emails with snippets from posts to demonstrate why she should join us.

It is also because of Penny I found this site.  I had encouraged her to reconnect with Bruce.  So on her next trip to L.A. she called and asked for his phone number which I gave her.  Knowing the work number I had for him was obsolete I went for a search on line and just happened to find a reference to HHW.  I believe that was just shy of three days ago.  I did far more lurking than posting for a long time.

I’m still amazed the difference the people here have made in my life and I now have a goal to meet every one of you.  I have been moved by the ease and relaxed feeling of long time friendships when we do meet in person.

I have also have found an artistic outlet here-photography.  Having a place to post my photos has encouraged me to walk with my camera-I must give special thanks to DRLaura for inspiring me.

Jennifer

« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2004, 04:33:40 PM »

Oh my gosh, DR Jose, you do get around! :)

For some reason I thought you weren't going to NYC for another day or two.

Btw, for those who love TAR (amazing race), there is a new show on tonight that looks a bit like it.  It's the Rebel Billionaire show on Fox.  Starts in a few minutes here.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2004, 04:33:59 PM »

Nice cuddling weather. [sigh]

These guys need a home, and a place to cuddle!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

td

• td
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2004, 04:42:43 PM »

Ann: It IS odd that you had that dream, for lately I have indeed found myself turning into Meryl Streep at the oddest moments.

Is it when you roll over in the glen and shout, "I am the French lieutenant's . . . . !" ? We all know what Bette Midler had to say about that!

Speaking of Bette, which is of course Etteb spelled backwards, the Divine One's film entitled JINXED is escaping to the world of dvd.  Isn't that something?  Isn't that just too too?  Now we'll all be able to see Miss M - M SsiM spelled backwards - on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  Why she isn't on the verge of an anxious breakdown or even a lethargic breakdown is a mystery to me.  A mystery which for all intents and purposes could be solved in THE RANDY VICAR MEETS VICKI EYDIE.
Not to be outdone, or even overdone, not even indone, Paramount has announced, with no great clashes of trumpets, that the other diva of the 70s, a Miss Barbra Streisand, will be represented on dvd in February with a long-awaited release of ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE FOREVER.  I don't know about you, but on a clear day, I can't even see the Pacific Ocean!  Still it's a release to look forward to, but only if you like Vincente Minnelli -love him! His movies don't sit there like so much fish; or Babs herself.  I don't get Barbra.  There was a time when I did, but now she just needs a great producer with her in the studio, someone who would let the true Barbra's voice come through with the proper material and the proper arrangements, done of course by our very own DR elmore3003.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2004, 04:42:48 PM »

DERBRUCER my heart is breaking.  You will tell us about the happy ending?

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2004, 04:43:51 PM »

Hey, guess what?  When I was doup shopping today, I picked up the italian wedding meatball soup.  Looks so weird! :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2004, 04:47:34 PM »

Great post td. I was not being personal.
Wish Babs would indeed employ Elmoore and BK.

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2004, 04:52:13 PM »

Lithia Park in downtown Ashland was designed by the same person who designed the Golden Gate Park.

I took so many beautiful photos in the park today I don’t know which to post.

td

• td
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2004, 04:52:26 PM »

Hmm, third anniversary is leather!  Leave it to me to find that out (if I hadn't, td would have).

And just why do you think that Miss Bette Davis is sporting that LEATHER eye patch? ? ?  td knows these things.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 04:53:40 PM by td »

td

• td
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2004, 04:53:08 PM »

Great post td. I was not being personal.
Wish Babs would indeed employ Elmoore and BK.

What? are you leaving the personal things to DR TCB?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2004, 04:54:10 PM »

HAPPY ANNIVERSAY!

WASHINGTON (Nov. 9) - Attorney General John Ashcroft, a favorite of conservatives, and Commerce Secretary Don Evans, one of President Bush's closest friends, resigned Tuesday, the first members of the Cabinet to leave as Bush heads from re-election into his second term.

der Brucer (now, don't all cry at once)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2004, 04:58:12 PM »

I took at least a dozen of these and had to force myself to stop.

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2004, 05:01:54 PM »

We indeed owe a vote of thanks to DR Laura. Wonderful photographs DR Jane.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2004, 05:04:36 PM »

Jane, I think BK and I became good friends in that initial conversation the day of the reading.  Some people you just know they get you!

Thanks for the compliments about the interview.  But a good interview is only as good as the interviewer.  BK asked all the right questions, then gave one not only the leisure to answer them, but encouraged the detail and brought a sense of fun and relaxation to the whole thing.

The fall pictures are beautiful.  It makes me homesick for Kentucky.  Fall is my favourite time of year and LA never quite gets there for me.

Ben

« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2004, 05:08:05 PM »

Gorgeous pictures Jane!

Funny post TD! You're a BK Twin.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2004, 05:10:02 PM »

DERBRUCER, great puppies.  I'd take one, but they're going to grow up to be big dogs, aren't they?  After ten years of cockers, only medium sized dogs, I told The Lovely Wife, we were going back to Terriers.  I want small dogs, small appetites, small poop from here on in!

I was delighted to hear of Mr. Ashcroft's resignation.  Of course, he was the Evil we knew.  Who knows what's coming?  I do hope his departure will signal a scaling back of the more frightening aspects of the Patriot Act in the near future.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 05:16:10 PM by Charles Pogue »

Jane

« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2004, 05:12:14 PM »

Charles I know what you mean on all three counts.

The first time I experienced autumn was almost a year after we moved from L.A. to New Jersey.  I stood with tears in my eyes it was so beautiful.  Now I get anxious if I don’t get my autumn “fix” as I call it.  You and the lovely wife should come to Ashland next year and visit.  

td

• td
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2004, 05:14:37 PM »

What bk might say about a 1961 film:

Last night I watched a dvd entitled LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD.  I
didn't get it.

td

• td
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2004, 05:16:13 PM »

No, I'm not a BK twin, I am a Martin Mull twin:

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2004, 05:16:49 PM »

Ginny I saved your site and will read it more carefully later.  I have been in book discussion groups for 24 years now.  

Jane - I started the book group when my son was in kindergarten and he's a freshman in college this fall, so we've read a lot of books together!  What's your group reading?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2004, 05:21:47 PM »

This morning before work, I happened upon these two Musical treats:
First up, PHANTOM OF THE OPERA on film, with a clip of "Angel of Music:"
http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com/cmp/clip.html?id=clip&type=real&speed=300000

And, for all of us fans of Alan Menken, the official site for the NBC treatment of A CHRISTMAS CAROL:
http://www.hallmarkent.com/property.php?propertyId=ChristmasCarolMu

Discuss.

Jane

« Reply #118 on: November 09, 2004, 05:22:27 PM »

Ginny today we discussed READING LOLITA IN TEHRAN.  Did you read THE KITE RUNNER?  I chose that book a few months ago and have been telling everyone to read it.

Ginny

« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2004, 05:30:39 PM »

Jane - What a coincidence!  Reading Lolita in Tehran is our November book,too - want to come to our meeting on the 16th?

Your pictures are beautiful.  Our fall colors are almost gone here in southern Ohio.  Elmore, when I sweep leaves off the front porch, I always think of Look Homeward, Angel...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up