Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIVELY AND FESTIVE NOTES  (Read 20818 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE LIVELY AND FESTIVE NOTES
« on: November 16, 2004, 11:59:31 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you're feeling lively and festive, not necessarily in that order, and now it is time for you to post until the lively and festive cows come home.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 12:00:21 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE LIVELY AND FESTIVE NOTES
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 12:09:03 AM »

A special note to DR Danise:

Pibgorn, a comic strip available on line, is starting what looks to be a Stargate SG-1 parody.

It actually started on October 18th, the date for which I've provided the link.

It's one of the more visually interesting strips running, IMHO.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 12:09:53 AM »

Looks like it's just two of us here, and I'm running three hours earlier than BK.

Correction, three hours AHEAD of BK.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 12:19:50 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 12:11:07 AM »

I'll be going off to dreamland shortly.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 12:13:00 AM »

Wussburger!

8)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 12:15:58 AM »

I've a whole list of films I should be watching.

Der B has a list from that list of films he wants to watch with me.  Or films he wants to watch me watch, made of films he's watched before but wants me to watch, too, so we can discuss them.

Here's a question for everyone: What tricks do you use when you need to sleep and can't?

I've never had an answer for that one, myself.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 03:15:15 AM »

Special alert to DR Jose:  There's a new episode of Good Eats running tonight, about stuffing!  Yes, stuffing!  The stuff Alton's said is evil!

(Well, I think it's McDonald's that's evil, but that's another episode, as they say.)

What with new ABs and a new ep of Lost, Wednesdays make me very happy these days.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 05:01:18 AM »

That Mari song was a good way to begin the day, bracing, if confusing.  How people get by pronouncing merry, Mary and marry exactly the same I'll never know.

A question brought up by Donald's radio show last week that's been on my mind is: Who writes the dance music for Broadway musicals?

Sometimes, as with Oklahoma's dream ballet, a dance is made up of themes from the songs (arranged by Trude Rittman, I believe) but I recognized none of Hazel Flagg's themes in the selection Donald played from that show (and credited to Jule Styne).  So, when the ballet is, in that sense, original, can we safely assume the composer of the songs wrote it?

Tonight's the first run-through of Generation F'd and I can't be there since I'm rehearsing And Then He Wrote: Songs of Squeaky Klein at the same time.  So, they won't be doing the songs.  Second City booked me to be in two places at the same time, which is uniquely frustrating.  I'll be unable to shake the feeling that I could have done more, song-wise, with the Generation F'd cast if I hadn't missed more than half their rehearsals.

And Then He Wrote: Songs of Squeaky Klein

is improvisation.  A cast will come out and make-up songs, chorales, cantatas and ballets from the long career of Squeaky Klein, all based on audience suggestions.  Picture Side by Side by Sondheim with a songwriter who's incredibly derivative.  It plays December 8; I don't know where.

Generation F'd

is the fifth and final revue showcase.  (Actually, it's the sixth: they did one without me.  Eli Bolin was my repacement.)  For this, a cast develops sketches and songs using improvisation, then writes it all down and rehearses it.  So, the audience makes no suggestions.  The score includes Need Somebody, the catchiest song ever written, which contains three-part counterpoint.

Actually, there's going to be counterpoint in the improv show as well, unless we decide to cut it.

Generation F'd will play at Barrow on W. 36 December 5 and 13.

Also on the 13th, Joy returns home.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 05:26:04 AM »

Here's a question for everyone: What tricks do you use when you need to sleep and can't?

I count my blessings instead of sheep.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 08:04:32 AM »

What's going on here people? No posts in three hours. Skammen, as some would say.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 08:05:53 AM »

When I can't fall asleep, I do a kind of self-hypnosis. I start at my toes and start telling myself that they're asleep and slowly work my way up the body brandishing each body part with the sleep alert. Usually before I get to my waist, I'm asleep.

As I've not been feeling well since the weekend, however, my sleep inducer has been called NyQuil. That knocks me out in two minutes tops.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 08:06:55 AM »

Well, I think this is a new low - nine posts by eight o'clock am.  Nothing to read - boo hoo and also hoo boo.

Matt H.

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2004, 08:08:24 AM »

Did anyone watch HOUSE last night? (A new drama series starring the wonderful Hugh Laurie.) I was at rehearsal, but I recorded it, and hope to watch it at some point today. It got rave reviews from every TV critic whose review I read, so I'm expecting something really good.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2004, 08:17:58 AM »

I was in the house last night but I didn't watch the house last night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2004, 08:18:29 AM »

Another bright blue day here in Los Angeles, California, USA.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2004, 08:23:22 AM »

Der Brucer watched House last night, and liked it.  I was busy frittering away making him his fritters.

Which he also liked.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2004, 08:29:13 AM »

I probably won't get around to HOUSE until tonight (in that vast black hole of programming between LOST and LAW & ORDER. I used to watch ANGEL, but it is sadly no more.) I'll report my opinions in a post later tonight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2004, 08:29:49 AM »

Is House about a house?  What is the point of the show?  Perhaps I'll take a network meeting and pitch a new show entitled Socks.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2004, 08:42:45 AM »

House is about a doctor named Gregory House.  (Surely you've heard of a house doctor before.)  He and his crack team of younger-than-he doctors solve medical mysteries and make people all better again.  He's also got a rotten disposition and pops pain pills for his bum leg.  The bum leg lets Hugh Laurie run around with a cane as a prop, thus ripping off Anthony Michael Hall and his prop in The Dead Zone.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2004, 08:47:04 AM »

I did not see HOUSE but I did tape the 2 hour premier of the new AMAZING RACE. My buddy Ron called me this morning and said AR was quite good!

Matt H.

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »

Many thanks to (was it DR Dan (the Man), DR George, or another kindly DR) who gave us a second promotional code "Supersaver" for Deep Discount DVD. I went back there this morning and ordered those several DVDs I have forgotten about using that code, and it worked great! Thanks again!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 08:58:39 AM »

Many thanks to (was it DR Dan (the Man), DR George, or another kindly DR) who gave us a second promotional code "Supersaver" for Deep Discount DVD. I went back there this morning and ordered those several DVDs I have forgotten about using that code, and it worked great! Thanks again!

Wasn't me--I just took advantage of the "DVDTalk" code.  

It's a shame they don't sell CDs, too.  I'm listening to a couple of Joni Mitchell mp3s and I'm in the mood for more.  "A Case Of You" is such a wonderful song.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2004, 09:04:26 AM »

I did not see HOUSE but I did tape the 2 hour premier of the new AMAZING RACE. My buddy Ron called me this morning and said AR was quite good!

I say Ditto.  I say Ditto.  I had thought the AR had gone the way of other reality shows where subsequent contestants are just a bunch of posers, models and actrons, but AR hasn't sucumbed to this trend.  I might stick around for this season.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 09:13:21 AM »

Is House about a house?  What is the point of the show?  Perhaps I'll take a network meeting and pitch a new show entitled Socks.

I like it!  It sounds edgy and exciting.  It's just the kind of thing that will attract the 18 to 24 year olds.  Who were you thinking for the leads?
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2004, 09:32:40 AM »

I say Ditto.  I say Ditto.  I had thought the AR had gone the way of other reality shows where subsequent contestants are just a bunch of posers, models and actrons, but AR hasn't sucumbed to this trend.  I might stick around for this season.

As exciting and let's face it...fun..as AR is, they HAVE succumbed to the trend.

After introducing the teams, I was already confused as to who were the models, the long-distance dating models, the models/sisters, the actor/model pair, etc.  I thought there were FAR too many models/actors/pro-wrestlers in this batch.  I say bring back the bowling moms and NFL wives!

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2004, 09:37:47 AM »

Wasn't me--I just took advantage of the "DVDTalk" code.  

It's a shame they don't sell CDs, too.  I'm listening to a couple of Joni Mitchell mp3s and I'm in the mood for more.  "A Case Of You" is such a wonderful song.

Dan, check out their DeepdiscountCD.com!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2004, 10:05:02 AM »

I was just about to tell him about that DRMBARNUM - the sister site does sell cd's!  They have some things that are not available anywhere else.  Collectors Choice Cd also has some nice things, including the MAME soundtrack for less than $13!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 10:09:38 AM »

Glad you used the VOODOO Mr BK.

Wow - the first time I saw Kasey Rogers, she was the mother of a little deaf girl on the series PEYTON PLACE...she was GREAT!

Hmmmmmmmmm...richard valley - that's the guy who doesn't use my stuff.
But he likes to send me subscription offers.

My first question for ASK BK day - which of the Black Lagoon movies is your favorite?  And why?  I got the CFBL Legacy set and I like all of the movies, the commentaries are pretty good, especially with Lori Nelson on REVENGE OF.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 10:09:57 AM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 10:11:12 AM »

As exciting and let's face it...fun..as AR is, they HAVE succumbed to the trend.

After introducing the teams, I was already confused as to who were the models, the long-distance dating models, the models/sisters, the actor/model pair, etc.  I thought there were FAR too many models/actors/pro-wrestlers in this batch.  I say bring back the bowling moms and NFL wives!

Oy!  I missed the introductions so I didn't know there were that many models, aside from the two pairs who were continuously referred to as "Models"  and "Wrestlers".  Still, there wasn't anyone in the "confessional" interviews who said something like "We will find the weaknesses of the other teams and we will bring them down!", as if they were Erica Kane vowing to bring down Wallingford Industries (a David Sedaris reference.)  Not yet, anyway...
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2004, 10:11:52 AM »

Dan, check out their DeepdiscountCD.com!

Cool beans!  I'll check them out now!  Thanks!
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up