Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: HAINES 57  (Read 33383 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:HAINES 57
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2004, 01:47:39 PM »

Dvd's are a poppin' around here.

Son of Godzilla?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2004, 01:47:57 PM »

Too tired to dance......

MBarnum

« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2004, 01:50:26 PM »

I got Son of Godzilla today, along with two new Criterions - M and DeMille's King of Kings.

Is the SON OF GODZILLA in Japanese??? I hope so!

I love, love, love the silent King of Kings...but I have it on DVDr so don't know if I will spring for the official release  or not. But do give your review of it when you see it!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2004, 01:50:44 PM »

I have Criterion's original issue of 'M," but I understand this is a new transfer (with new footage?).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2004, 01:52:26 PM »

I had read about the London SWEENEY TODD with actors playing instrumental accompaniment during the show. Sounds like an interesting idea.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2004, 01:56:44 PM »

Happy birthday BK!! I am drinking a Cherry Coke in your honor.

Welcome, new Dear Reader Hisaka. Do you like Cherry Coke?

I am working on my last term paper. Fifteen pages on the origin and history of English surnames. Even though it's not English, I happen to know that Kimmel is an occupational name, from the German word "kummel," meaning "caraway." It was given to a spicer who dealt in caraway seeds.

Who says this isn't an educational site?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2004, 02:10:00 PM »

Sandra your paper sounds interesting.  I wonder if any of my family names are part of your study.  Is Sankey one of them?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2004, 02:11:46 PM »

Week Two, London, Theatre Report.

FESTEN...was the first play we went to see that Monday (most English theatres are dark Sunday).  It's based on both a dutch play and a dogma film of the same name.  Searing stuff, very well played.  Funny and frightening!

GRAND HOTEL...at the Donmar Warehouse, Tuesday.  Mary Elizabeth Mastriantoni (sp?)played the ballerina.  It was a good solid production, though both The Lovely Wife and I did not find the Baron up to Mr. Barrett's high level.  And for a 3/4 Black box, I found too much of the staging geared for out-front proscenium.  As we were on one of the sides, this was problematic at times.

Wednesday night was Alan Bennett's HISTORY BOYS.  Great play, great production.  Terrific performances by  Richard Griffiths, the ever-droll Frances De La Tour, and Clive Merrison...who appeared in my very first movie ever SIGN OF FOUR and later went on to play Holmes on radio.  Also all the young men who played the students were great!

BLITHE SPIRIT...Thursday with Penelope Keith as Madam Arcati.  I was a little wary of this production as Ms. Keith...an actressI've enjoyed over the years...burned me in another Noel Coward a few years back.  An adaptation of his story STAR QUALITY....which I had liked as a TV movie years ago.  Ms. Keith was not right for the role and the adaptation was bad.  It was probably the worst piece of theatre I ever saw in London.  

But BLITHE SPIRIT was by the master himself and Keith was right for the role of Arcati.  It had also got some nice reviews except for one bad one.  Should have trusted the bad one.  The production wasn't bad, but it did seem a little tired and forced. Keith was okay as Arcati, but not blazingly funny, as I had hoped.  Ruth was excellent.  Elvira, while pretty, did not take over the show (as I imagine Tammy Grimes did in the musical version, High Spirits).  And Charles, who should be reacting to all the chaos around him, instead became a part of it.  Mugging and over-done.  He reminded me physically (and performance-wise)  of Ed Bundy On Married With Childre.  Felt that character should be the epitome of Coward himself.

Friday and Saturday, we ended our theatre-going with HIS DARK MATERIALS.  A six-hour, two-part play done successive nights.  It is based on a 1,300 page trilogy written by Philip Pulman.  A children's dark fantasy.  It is immensely popular in Britain and also controversial as it gets its digs at religious dogma and the organized church.  It's basically a retelling of Milton's Paradise Lost...only this time the rebelling angels win.  Very rich, fascinating material.  The same company that did the LION KING effects, did so here...which were extensive...involving puppetry and strange character devices (like Armoured Polar Bears and daemons and angels and Cliff-ghasts and Harpies).  It also uses all the formidable stage technology of the Olivier Theatre.

The Lovely Wife and I had eagerly anticipated it.  It had gotten great reviews in its earlier run that year and was now starting up again.  We liked.  It is an engaging, fascinating piece of theatre.  But we were not blown away by it as we had expected to be.  Perhaps, it was inevitable given our anticipation.  It is terrific theatre, don't get me wrong, but I think we had expected transcendant theatre.  The second night was much stronger and came closer and Julieanne was weeping copious tears.  There were wonderfully moving moments.  But though Julieanne kinda of got there, the second night, I didn't...even though I enjoyed it immensely.  It must be said:  This was a new cast from the previous one and the show was still in previews, so it may not have settled yet.  

But even so it was well worth seeing and the fitting end of a very good theatre trip this time.  Every show had at least something to make it worth the price of the ticket.  Becket and Blithe Spirit were the weakest of the lot.  History Boys, Journey's End, The Old Masters, and Sweeney Todd were as good as it gets.  I think History Boys was my favourite.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2004, 02:12:16 PM »

Very educational, DRSANDRA.  What interesting information.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2004, 02:13:58 PM »

MattH, it was amazing!  Every actor played three or four instruments as well as being good singers and actors.  It was an amazing and moving production.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2004, 02:19:09 PM »

Sandra your paper sounds interesting.  I wonder if any of my family names are part of your study.  Is Sankey one of them?

Isn't that a coffee?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2004, 02:19:34 PM »

The Sweeney sounds very interesting and I'd like to see it.  What a trip you had.

Yes, Son of Godzilla is in Japanese.

Yes, the M is a brand new transfer and makes the previous Criterion release look like VHS.  This is the same transfer that was used on Eureka's region 2 DVD which I've had for six months.  Only the Criterion looks even better.  It's jaw-dropping and you will see M like you've never seen it.  A must-have, with loads of incredible extras.  

King of Kings - another must-have if you love the film, for it not only has the general release version, it also has the almost never seen 155 minute premiere version which, I understand, only ran at the Grauman's Chinese.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2004, 02:27:01 PM »

Do you know where the Sankey family came from Jane? It has two possible meanings, one of them English, the other one Irish.

If your family is from England, they are named after a river in Lancaster with a name that possibly means "holy."

If your family is from Ireland, it is a shortened version of the name Mac Seanchaidhe, which is a patronymic name meaning "son of the chronicler."

In some instances, it has been confused with "sionnach," meaning "fox," and has been Anglicized as the last name Fox.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 02:28:07 PM by Sandra »
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Michael

« Reply #163 on: December 08, 2004, 02:27:23 PM »

BK: What was your most memorable birthday?
        What was your favorite gift that you received?
Never stop dreaming.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2004, 02:27:45 PM »

Mr. Guy Haines will be delighted to know that his CD is stocked (at least one copy) at The Dress Circle.  London's top Show and Musical CD store.  They also carry several records produced by our very own Birthday Boy!

The only drawback to London this go-round was, thanks to the devalued dollar, it was very, very expensive. figure two bucks to every pound now.  I bought five hundred dollars worth of books that would have been well over a $100 dollars less last year.  It seemed like only a year ago top ticket at the National was 27.50pds.  Now it's 35.  West End top is forty.

Michael

« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2004, 02:29:14 PM »

Other than onc strip what is the difference with two and three strip technicolor
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2004, 02:29:26 PM »

Evening all!

I'm typing this as I sit in the jury room waiting to be called or let loose.

It's about one in the afternoon and I have yet to called for anything.  Oh well.

I know people think it is boring but I'm having a grand time.  I read my book and finished it. I've listened to music, typed about 5 letters and had some pleasant chats with the folks around me.

I had lunch with my friend who works in the courthouse and saw a lot of the people I used to work with there before I transferred over to the County Center.  I only worked with them a year but it was to see how many remember me and to say "hello".

Something some one said on the board the other night has stuck me and I have to say something.   Someone said that BK's book didn't have any words in it that we haven't read or heard before.

Well, it stuck me that when I read a book, I'm reading used words.  What's up with that?  If I'm buying a new book, you would think I could expect it to be full of new words or at least it should say on the cover that it contains used words.  I think that should be looked into, don’t you?  :D

I guess the same could go for music as well.  I mean it contains notes that you've heard before, right? So, your really listening to used music. Can't someone come up with something totally NEW?

I've had another deep thought while I'm sitting here.  Why can't there be a tea shop chain like there is a Starbucks chain?  There are certainly enough tea flavors and tea drinkers to give old StarBucks a run for its money.  I would love a place like that.

I would have liked a nice hot cup of tea this morning but all they had was coffee.  Ugh.

Glad to see some of our lurkers posting.  It's always nice to meet new people.  Welcome!

TCB, I don't think my transporter works that way. It's just a point "A" to point "B" type.  I think you are confusing it with a T.A.R.D.I.S.  (Time And Relative Dimensions In Space).  From "Dr. Who".  

The T.A.R.D.I.S. looks like a police callbox in England.  Here in the States, they have a another use. You see them all the time at construction sites and sometimes at concerts/ren fests.  I'm sure you know the blue box I refer to.

I’m already home.  They let us go at three thirty.  Yay!

Digital cameras—make sure you get a optical zoom.   That is better.  I know the docking thing sounds great but here’s the rub on that.  By having your camera connected to the computer, you risk a feedback loop that will scramble your cameras insides.  I know.  I had it happen to me with my first digital camera.  Luckily it was still under warranty but I learned my lesson and I ONLY use the card to download my photos to the computer.

I have a Casio camera.  The reason I got it was because it is just like a 35 mm camera only you don’t have to mess with all of the settings unless you want to.  

It has a “Best Shot” feature that lets you pick what the conditions your in look like and then the camera automatically sets itself.    The way you pick the “best shot” is in the display—you pick “Best Shot” from the menu and then it shows the pictures in the little picture screen.  When you have the one you want, you hit “select” and whamo you have it!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 02:42:50 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2004, 02:42:15 PM »

RE" "Sweeney Todd".  A less than wonderful review in the latest Sondheim Review.  Ex-Hainsie Allan in the UK also found it "interesting" but not a must on our visit there. After we had opted for "Woman in White" (which we attended with Allan) we thought we maybe should have slit our own throats.

DR Charles, I assume you were referring to "Relative Values". I saw a production in the mid 1970's. The Dame Julie "Star Quality" works reasonably well.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2004, 02:43:55 PM »

Tom, Did you hear Mr. C is getting an award for his work in WIW?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 02:44:30 PM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Tomovoz

« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2004, 02:46:58 PM »

I assume the award is for sticking with the show! OR for having to wear the costume perhaps!! I hope he has not had to listen to the CD.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2004, 02:51:45 PM »

For long posts, you can also just highlight your text and right click on "copy".  It definitely makes you feel more comfortable when typing something long!

To quickly highlight everything, just press "control-A" on your keyboard.  However, if you just want to highlight selected text, then you have to use the mouse OR place your cursor in your text where you want to start, hold the "shift" key, then use your arrow buttons to highlight the text.  It works with all the arrow buttons...all four directions!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2004, 02:55:18 PM »

Request time.

Was the soundtrack of "Night and Day" ever released on record (or CD).  Just had a phone call about it.. Who sang "Begin the Beguine" in the film.  I know the DVD is available now.
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #172 on: December 08, 2004, 03:01:12 PM »

DR Sandra, I am enjoying your name info!

DR Danise, thanks for the digital camera info! It will be nice to go to the store tonight and be somewhat prepared!

I have talked to a few people at work, as well as my mom, and they all have the Kodak Easyhare, but I a going to keep DR Danises info about the docking unit in mind....I wonder how/why that happened to your camera?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2004, 03:02:37 PM »

In some instances, it has been confused with "sionnach," meaning "fox," and has been Anglicized as the last name Fox.

Nurse Jane, you fox!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2004, 03:03:24 PM »

Kodak Easyshare is indeed easy.. Quite happy with my photographs of France.
James Thurber 1957

MBarnum

« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2004, 03:04:29 PM »

DR JRand54, I heard a rumor that the 50s AIP flicks that were released on DVD in England will soon be released here in the USA ...that means new  Allison and June Kenney DVDs for us (The Undead and Earth Vs. The Spider).

MBarnum

« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2004, 03:05:55 PM »

I should be working, but instead I seem to be goofing off  8)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2004, 03:09:50 PM »

Was the soundtrack of "Night and Day" ever released on record (or CD).  Just had a phone call about it.. Who sang "Begin the Beguine" in the film.  I know the DVD is available now.

DRTomovoz, according to Clive Hirschhorn's book, it's Carlos Ramirez.

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2004, 03:14:36 PM »

Thanks Prince Elmore
James Thurber 1957

Danise

« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2004, 03:18:56 PM »

My first digital camera was a few years back (I still find it hard to believe that if something is five years old it's "outdated")so it is possible that it was a problem at the time that has been corrected.  I just never take the chance anymore.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up