Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SUPERGUY  (Read 23440 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:SUPERGUY
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2005, 07:17:07 AM »

TOD: The Quiznos franchise has just come to Deer Park (taking over space in a vacated store so I am not cranky about it!)

I have fallen for this:Chicken Carbonara
Chicken, bacon, mozzarella, mushrooms, Creamy Bacon Alfredo Sauce
 And I just may have to have one for lunch...
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Ben

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2005, 07:17:14 AM »

Sorry Vixmom, the clown show is at a private home. I think it's a christening party. Most of Anthony's shows are private parties, although sometimes he is engaged for public events like a show last week at Smithaven Mall. I'll let you know if he gets any public shows in the future.

We drive past the Ammerman Campus of Suffolk County Community College on our way to the house from the Ronkonkama train station. Was that your campus?

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2005, 07:17:33 AM »

Hey Elmore!
I say you come to the reading still, but in a disguise!

vixmom

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2005, 07:23:36 AM »

Page 2 !!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2005, 07:28:10 AM »

Those recordings of high school shows can be quite entertaining. One that I have is a show called ALHAMBRA by the Mt. Hebron School in Upper Montclair, New Jersey. It's performed by a lot of kids whose voices are still changing and are a little squeaky, but the sincere sweetness of the performance makes it endearing. Plus it has catchy little songs, such as a street vendor singing a love song to his cart in "My Cart and I". I can't actually find evidence of this show existing anywhere else, so it may be an original, written at the school. The songwriter credit has the same last name as the person who plays piano. If anyone knows anything about this, let me know.

vixmom

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2005, 07:29:31 AM »

Sorry Vixmom, the clown show is at a private home. I think it's a christening party. Most of Anthony's shows are private parties, although sometimes he is engaged for public events like a show last week at Smithaven Mall. I'll let you know if he gets any public shows in the future.

We drive past the Ammerman Campus of Suffolk County Community College on our way to the house from the Ronkonkama train station. Was that your campus?

if we had known about the Smithhaven Mall thing last weeked we would have come by to say hi! Oh well, next time!!

Yes, the Ammerman campus was my campus, but it was just called the Selden Campus at that time.  Ammerman was the College President at that time, in fat his daughter was in some of my classes and was dating one of the fellows in the drama group.

There was also a fellow named Jon  something... I can see his face and cannot think of his last name now, he was a year behind me, he ended up going Klown Kollege in Florida and last I heard he was with Barnum & Bailey, he was from Centereach or Holbrook I think....  

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2005, 07:33:40 AM »

Last night, S. Woody wrote:

"Wouldn't it be great if, just once on Lost, one of the survivors of the crash would turn to the camera and say "I don't have a backstory"?"

Um. . . . you must not watch the show. The fellow that Charlie shot four times in the chest last week had no backstory because he was on the island already when the plane crashed. No, he didn't turn to the camera and say that, but there never was a backstory with him.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2005, 07:40:11 AM »

Hey Elmore!
I say you come to the reading still, but in a disguise!

I agree...how about this one?

vixmom

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2005, 07:41:52 AM »

or this?

vixmom

« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2005, 07:56:10 AM »

here's an article y'all might be interested in....

Pusillanimous Paranoia in Pedagogical Publishing
by
Herbert Jack Rotfeld
Editor, Journal of Consumer Affairs
Marketing Department
Auburn University
Rotfeld@business.auburn.edu

http://www.auburn.edu/~rotfehj/Slapp-2.html

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2005, 07:57:46 AM »

DR Vixmom, that sandwich looks good!

vixmom

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2005, 07:58:23 AM »

Cool Word: pusillanimous
The Learning Kingdom
Tue, 11 May 1999 02:39:45 -0700

----------------------------------------------------------------------
     The Learning Kingdom's Cool Word of the Day for May 11, 1999

pusillanimous [adj. PYOO-suh-LAN-ih-mus]

Someone who is pusillanimous is timid or cowardly, lacking conviction
of mind, unable to muster the courage to take a stand.
Etymologically, such a person is "weak-spirited."

In Latin the animus was the reasoning mind or the spirit that
enlivens, and pusillus (weak) was the diminutive of pullus (a young
animal).  Together, they formed Late Latin pusillanimis (weak-
spirited; weak-minded).

Through various paths, other words related to youth have emerged from
the same ancient root that led to pullus:

pullet: a young hen
pony: a small horse
pool: stakes, booty, or funds, from French poule (hen, stakes, booty)
puerile: childish, juvenile, immature

http://www.mail-archive.com/word@tlk-lists.com/msg00056.html

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2005, 07:59:13 AM »

I was disappointed with only one of the rejected contestants last night. Don't remember his name, but he was the heavy-set guy with bright eyes and wavy black hair who was so stunned when he was told no that he couldn't get out of the chair. (The one who said he was 28 already so he couldn't audition again.) He did have that really horrible trio audition where none of the three in the group remembered the words to the swing song they ahd selected, but his final audition was super strong, and I was pulling for him.

But I think they learned with Ruben's less than fantastic sales and solo concert appearances that the guys have to have "poster boy" potential in addition to being able to sing. With the girls, it doesn't seem quite as important to be sexy and have a good voice, but I noticed that a MAJORITY (not all) of the guys that got through were more potentially marketable as sex symbols as well as singers. It's the Josh Groban syndrome.

vixmom

« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2005, 07:59:30 AM »

DR Vixmom, that sandwich looks good!

Oh it is... it is.... of course it's probably also  about 6 million calories...... :D

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2005, 07:59:32 AM »

Some cool new DVD releases forthcoming...THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW season 1 (kind of a surprise!) comes out on Feb. 22, and for you B-movie fans, THE FLESH EATERS, the 1962 cult classic, and one of my favorite films!

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2005, 08:00:33 AM »

Shoney's used to have a hot turkey sandwich that I would always order if we went there and there was no buffet. I really loved it. Used to get hot roast beef and hot turkey on lots of trips because most restaurants couldn't mess those up too badly.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2005, 08:01:24 AM »

My goodness, THE LORETTA YOUNG SHOW somes out, and we can't even get a second season of MARY TYLER MOORE! Unbelievable.

Unstead of giving us Season 2 of MARY, Fox is putting out a Best of Season 1 release. Why?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:02:30 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2005, 08:05:33 AM »

The producers of ALIAS have changed course for the series so that the missions can be more self-contained each week and hopefully appeal to a vaster audience. So far, it's worked. ALIAS's ratings are almost double what they were last season. Still, I know what bk means in that the giddy recklessness of the show's first two seasons in particular is simply missing.

I still find all of the characters fascinating, and next week's show brings back Sark and Sydney's female nemesis  from Season 1.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2005, 08:08:46 AM »

I just heard that John Raitt passed away.  What a talent.  He was the first star I ever worked with in stock and he was also a very nice man.  So many people from Broadway's Golden Age have passed away this year.  Let's hope this is the last.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »

I agree...how about this one?

I don't think it's quite me!  Interesting, however.  

DRvixmom, I'm glad you didn't hyphenate your names!  I think portmanteau names may have worked with British lineage, but I find them in contemporary New York rather a joke, sometimes a vestige of the feminist movement and a lot of times on the Upper West Side a sign of pretension.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2005, 08:18:00 AM »

Thanks for the info, WEL. I will miss John Raitt very much. What a wonderful talent. I prize the cast albums of his that I own.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2005, 08:28:46 AM »

Ah DR MattH, I know the guy you mean (American Idol).  I really did not like that guy.  And you are right, he totally blew his group audition.  I was pretty sure he wasn't going to get in.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2005, 08:34:37 AM »

But I think they learned with Ruben's less than fantastic sales and solo concert appearances that the guys have to have "poster boy" potential in addition to being able to sing. With the girls, it doesn't seem quite as important to be sexy and have a good voice, but I noticed that a MAJORITY (not all) of the guys that got through were more potentially marketable as sex symbols as well as singers. It's the Josh Groban syndrome.

What about Clay?  He certainly wasn't  a sex symbol when he started.  And even know I still don't think he has a poster boy image.  And he is the most popular of all the Idols!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2005, 08:35:08 AM »

Re:  Lost:  Maybe someone mentioned this before, but did you know the guy playing Ethan (the no backstory weirdo Matt mentioned) is/was William (?  sorry, memory failing, flailing :) ) Mapother, Tom Cruise's cousin.  There's your fascinating trivia for the day.

Re:  John Raitt.  Yes, Stephen Cole posted that to CASTRECL this morning but has not yet confirmed where he heard it.  I haven't seen it yet on any news services.

Re:  weird R&H chords.   I still think that there are errors in the bass parts of Carousel, though I could never get a definitive answer.  IIRC (it's been several years since I MD'd this), especially in "If I Loved You" (it might have been "You'll Never Walk Again--er--Alone") there are minor third differences between the piano's bass and the "real" bass, making for a lot of mud.  I seem to remember a C 6/4 in the piano with an E in the "real" bass that drove me crazy every night.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:37:13 AM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2005, 08:35:40 AM »

Good Morning!

Nothing like a good run, and a big Italian dinner to help one sleep soundly!

:)

And, once again, a big Thank You, to DR Rodzinksi for answering my "Keeping the Dream Alive"/"All Through The Night" query!

I e-mailed the "answer" to Steve last night, and he e-mailed me back this morning:

Coolio!
Send thanks to your live reference crew!
[/size]

;D

The power of HHW!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2005, 08:55:44 AM »

As for Hot Sandwiches...

Calling DR TCB!  Calling DR TCB!!

;D

But seriously, folks...

Open-Faced Hot Turkey
Open-Faced Hot Roast Beef
-The big question is whether to order them with mashed potatoes or french fries - preferably steak cut.

Reuben - Give me the classic with corned beef - although a pastrami or turkey one will do in a pinch.  And I prefer mine without a schmear of tomato sauce/paste.

Monte Cristo - Deep-fried sandwich goodness! Preferably with blackberry jelly on the side.  BK - The House of Pies makes a decent one. You could have one for breakfast, and it should last you throughout the day.

Grilled Cheese - The classic with American Cheese and Wonder Bread is always a good stand-by.  But I also like Provolone on Rye, Cheddar on Wheat or Pumpernickel, Smoked Gouda-Pumpkin Butter-Basil on Rosemary Focaccia, etc., etc...

And I still remember the first time I had a few slices of tomato grilled with the cheese...  I was about nine years old, and we were visiting the beach in Connecticut, and the woman in front of me ordered her grilled cheese with tomato... Then so did I!  Yum!  Then came the cheese, tomato and BACON variation!!

Paninis - I've like almost all of the Italian pressed sandwich variations I've tried so far.

Hot Sailor - I can't remember exactly which deli meats appear on it, but I like it a lot.

Pastrami and Knockwurst

Etc, etc., etc...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2005, 08:56:44 AM »

What about Clay?  He certainly wasn't  a sex symbol when he started.  And even know I still don't think he has a poster boy image.  And he is the most popular of all the Idols!

Well, yeah...but....Clay has "talent" and "charisma."

Fantasia may equal/surpass him in time, since she has both traits, as well.  But then she never had Simon telling her, after a song, "I was imagining you with a paper sack over your head."

Clay has a great image...he's wholesome without being cutesy/smarmy...and for some folks, probably, that's sexier than dropping your trousers every time you perform, or, in the case of some of the female singers, showing as much as you can in order to draw attention away from your lack of talent.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2005, 08:59:31 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2005, 09:07:02 AM »

Well I will just obsess away then DR RON.  Thanks. :)  Did you order your IT'S A MAN'S WORLD vhs?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2005, 09:07:52 AM »

Is our superhero from Krypton?

And yes MR BK you MUST photograph your new do so that we will see what you look like when the STARS are looking at YOU on Friday and Saturday.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2005, 09:09:30 AM »

DR VIXMOM - thanks, but it's all right.  After a few years of having to RENT the houses out and dealing with all that means (couldn't SELL the houses, you know) - we did the only thing we could, we sold the entire project to the airport.  It actually ended up being a money-maker for us, but NOT the money-maker it would have been had we been able to fill those 25 lots with homes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up