Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TEENY TINY NOTES  (Read 20656 times)

Sigerson Holmes

Re:THE TEENY TINY NOTES
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2003, 08:18:20 PM »

I like "Forbidden Planet," and am looking forward to the big remastered re-release.  Although I admire most everything about it, I think it really could have used a conventional orchestral score.  The "electronic tonalities" by the Barrons really grate on my nerves, and make it hard to be emotionally involved in the story.  --Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.  It probably IS intentional.  But it keeps it a "like," not "love," movie for me.

Not counting the silents and the early talkies, I can only think of one other major movie that has no score (either orchestral underscoring or song-score), Hitchcock's "The Birds."  Am I forgetting some others?
It's not who you know.  It's whom you know.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2003, 08:32:54 PM »

Good evening esteemed and pie-craving BK --

It is a nice quiet evening here in the desert wasteland, and I'm enjoying sitting here like so much fish.  I had some very yummy left-over brisket for dinner, and I think I definitely hear a little piece of brownie calling to me.......

DR Panni --  Have you moved to Studio City to live now??  If so, welcome to southern California (from an ex-Angeleno).

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2003, 08:35:52 PM »

PEPE.....ERGHHHHH!  BK you're cruel! Right up there with Alley Cat and It's a Small World as one of my least favourites.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2003, 08:36:10 PM »

DR Tom-Oz --

Just thought I'd say a good evening to you also.  I think I'm about to go give in to a little desert, and then probably have kind of an early evening.

You be careful way out there in the outskirts of Melbourne....I understand that there a very fierce bears out in those hills !!   ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2003, 08:37:25 PM »

How slow am I? I just noticed it is DR Jane's birthday. I hope your day is beautiful Jane and that your year to come is wonderful. Hope Echo is fully recoverd again.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2003, 08:38:26 PM »

Who's got a face as funny as Pepe?
Who's got a smile as sunny as Pepe?
Who's the comical little clown
There with the trousers fallin' down
Goin' hippety-hop like a busy bee

Who wants pancakes?

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2003, 08:39:23 PM »

I could be so lucky MusicGuy. Thanks for your concern. I shall survive on my "threadbare" existence and still be protected from marauding bears.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2003, 08:41:02 PM »

I still prefer the Duane Eddy version of "Pepe" - no lyrics!
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2003, 08:41:42 PM »

Actually, I'd like a piece of chocolate cake. I'm getting the craving again, and I've got the fixings for it tomorrow. But I don't need the temptation of having it here. I'm sure I'd end up eating 90% of it snacking on it all day long.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 08:42:44 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2003, 08:47:45 PM »

I'm afraid Swishy Sarah had better post, that's all I'M talkin' about.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2003, 08:48:04 PM »

I'd go for cake, too.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2003, 08:53:53 PM »

Sure, I'll do a monologue.  Here's one of my eBay Kimmel prizes - a model kit.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2003, 08:54:36 PM »

Well, it's time for me to turn in. Hope the West Enders enjoy the rest of their evening and will look to see everyone on-line tomorrow. I hope those who are away from us are doing OK and will find time hopefully soon to let us know how they're doing.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2003, 08:57:27 PM »

Thank you for welcoming me to Southern Cal, DR MusicGuy. In answer to your question, yes, I'm in Studio City. I've just come back from seeing the Annual Studio City Holiday Parade. It was kinda sweet - the lamest parade I've ever seen. The only not sweet parts were the TANKS. Yes - there were actually army types in tanks, pointing their phallic tank things at the crowd.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 08:58:30 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2003, 09:00:48 PM »

I was also at the Viktor Benes Bakery - where I saw lots of pies and yummy cakes.

Michael

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2003, 09:05:36 PM »

Bruce have you ever seen the Optimist (Of 9 Elm) with Peter Sellars? It uses Lional Bart's score that was dropped from La Strada.
Never stop dreaming.

Panni

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2003, 09:10:59 PM »

I'm now going to lie down on the couch with my faithful dog and watch a screener of DIRTY PRETTY THINGS, which I've heard is quite good.

Tomovoz

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2003, 09:17:24 PM »

I am indeed not Bruce but I do like the film and have the film score. "Sometimes" is very pretty. The film has much gentle charm.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2003, 09:25:36 PM »

Optimistic!
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2003, 09:28:22 PM »

I've never managed to catch The Optimists - I used to have the album, but I really don't remember much of it.

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2003, 09:30:42 PM »

I have long wanted to have a copy of the soundtrack of "Mr Quilp" which I know was not released officially. I thought the film was indeed much better than its reputation would have it. It may have been retitled for USA release: "The Old Curiosity Shop". I saw the film in London around Christmas 1975.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2003, 09:53:11 PM »

I saw Quilp at a special sneak preview at what is now Bookstar here in Studio City.  I would say seventy percent of the audience walked out after fifteen minutes.  I can't remember how long I lasted.  I knew about the unreleased LP, and I finally found a copy in the late seventies.  I never taped it, and it's long since gone, just like most of the Hainsies/Kimlets tonight.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2003, 10:17:28 PM »

I am here! I know it's late and I completely missed that actual DAY, but I am here!

I woke up at 12:15 today. My audition for the cabaret show was at 1. So I RUN out of my room to tell my mom to get ready to drive me (I knew she'd be awake), and my little sister informs me that she's out getting her nails done, then eating lunch with my dad.

So I panic.

I finally get a hold of her at 12:45, she speeds home, picks me up, and we drive all the way to the audition location, making it there only 15 minutes late. I run in, and the lady at the desk gives me my forms, glares at me, and tells me to "get in there, they already STARTED."

There were 4 other people auditioning today (there were auditions last night too, I'm sure with a better turnout), all over age 30. I hastily filled out my paperwork and gave it to the directors, apologizing repeatedly, while they glared at me. Now, I understand that they might be a tiny bit irked at my being late, but with snow conditions and the weird timing, they couldn't expect EVERYONE to be on time. I was weirded out by their stares, and quickly went back to my seat.

The others began to sing/read their dialouge. They were good, not GREAT, and finished very quickly. I walked up, introduced myself, and stated the song I would be singing. I was calm, cool, and collected as the pianist spoke with me, and felt good about what was coming. But the SECOND the music started, I started shaking. I wasn't even NERVOUS! It was like a reflex or something! Because of how strange it was, and how worried I became about what was occuring, I don't think I sang as well as I could have. I finished the song fine, and waited for the next direction. The director looks at me, and, very condecendingly, says "Do you even know how to READ music?"

Ahem. I have played the piano for 9 years. I have sung for 9 years. I do know how to read, and I know for a fact that I didn't mess anything up in the song besides a possible VOICE problem, not a written problem.

The rest of the audition was the same. I *nailed* the dialogue, and the woman kind of rolled her eyes and nodded. During a small section of the dance sequence, I asked where our hands should be. She looked at me and said 'Well, if you would just WAIT a minute, I'll TELL you, OK?" But when an adult asked the SAME question, she said 'Oh, what a good question! Let me show you!"

This is a serious case of agism going on here. I left that building SO upset, because I KNOW I was better than the people in there! I hate it when people treat teenagers differently because were stereotypically selfish and moody and rude. I am not a rude kid, I went in there just as prepared and apolegetic as I could be, and didn't do a single thing out of line. But because of her attitude, I probably won't get it. I'm not even sure I WANT it now, because of the way I was treated. I don't want to have to deal with that woman if I make it. ERG.

But other than that my day was fine. I worked, it was easy, bleh bleh bleh. I didn't get on sooner because my internet was down.

Toys: I was a VERY non-girly little kid, because I had an older brother. I was always with him, and my little sisters were always together. I had a LOT of G.I.Joes, Ninja Turtles, and battle tank-things. This probably explains why I'm so girly now. I'm not sure what I really miss, I always liked my E Z Bake oven. I would cook in that thing ALL DAY LONG if my mom would let me.

I never watch TV outside of The Real World, and that doesn't strike me as your kind of show, BK. :)
...Walk in the sunshine...

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2003, 10:33:12 PM »

Who's got a face as funny as Pepe?
Who's got a smile as sunny as Pepe?
Who's the comical little clown
There with the trousers fallin' down
Goin' hippety-hop like a busy bee

Who wants pancakes?

I think I'm going to have some pancakes tomorrow...and the stuffed crepes that I had at IHOP last week.  Well, not the actual crepes that I had last week ::), just the same KIND of crepes.  They weren't too bad, but I think I need to have a second try.  The crepes also come with a couple of pancakes.  I really do want some pancakes.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2003, 10:45:48 PM »

And BK, I posted. Happy now?
...Walk in the sunshine...

Tomovoz

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2003, 10:55:44 PM »

Good to see the Ghost of Christmas present has arrived. How did the day/night go? Wasn't it a double?
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2003, 10:58:25 PM »

Well, we have spent the day playing in the snow, and running up and down the stairs, and having a wonderful time.  We've had pictures taken of us by the one not-a-dog, and the other not-a-dog made something he called "stu", which smelled very nice.  We are both very tired, and very happy, and wonder what tomorrow will be like.  Maybe it will be like today!

- Buster and Bonnie
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 10:59:12 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2003, 11:04:04 PM »

Little BK, happy at last.

Watching Hud now, after having finished A Kid for Two Farthings.  Couldn't get anyone interested in pancakes, so I went and got a turkey sandwich from Jerry's.

Tomovoz

« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2003, 11:17:09 PM »

At last the board is looking normal!!!??? for this time of the night.  Why I wonder do Washingtonians keep later hours than the citizens of Oregon?
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2003, 11:22:09 PM »

Good evening.

DR MusicGuy - Even though I was real careful driving around and didn't have any accidents or even a close call, can I still come over and play with the Randy Vicar?

-Hmm... Even that question has a bit more innuendo than I'm used to... But, heck, it's late.. and no one ever reads the late posts.   ;)

Two good shows today.  And a good Thai dinner between shows.  And a good, quick visit to Trader Joe's between shows too.  Can that store carry any more delectable, delicious goodies?  Chocolates, chocolate covered nuts, chocolate chip cookies, 10 pound chocolate bars, chocolate covered espresso beans, chocolate covered orange peel, chocolate truffle (do you sense a theme here?)...  And I even picked up a mini, live Christmas tree - perfect for the desk in my room!  And it was only $2.99!  *I stocked up on the Ginger Altoids - boy, do I LOVE these, and they're a "seasonal item" now, so I got them while they had them, and picked up a cheap chardonnay (mainly for the lable since it had a piano keyboard on it), and a container of the chocolate covered espresso beans (the four flavor assortment) for our dance captain - it was a two show day!

*Unfortunately, the Thai dinner kind of backed up on the conductor a few minutes into the show.  Well, actually, I think the extra Thai bird chiles he put on his chicken curry finally kicked in.  He was getting a little warm, and asked me if I was feeling all right.  -I just had Pad Thai tonight - it had been a while.  Let's just say we had a very compressed version of the intro to the "Camelot" reprise.  Not really noticable, but we all went, "hhmmm.." - Ah, and Arsenio Hall reference.  -Or C&C Music Factory if you prefer.

But we were all better by intermission.  *I was kind of goofy during the first act.. all those samples at Trader Joe's... Come on, I HAD to try each of the flavors of the chocolate covered espresso beans - milk, dark, white and latte.   ;D  I was having a sort of spitball fight with the percussionist.

So, tomorrow, tomorrow.. Ah, an Annie reference...  What to do tomorrow?  I only have a 6:00 show - no matinee.  I guess I could hit the malls, but I'm basically done with my Christmas shopping already, so...  I could see a movie, but since I'm going to be spending three hours in a dark theatre later in the day, so...  I could do laundry, but... ;)  We'll see where the day takes me.  If anything, I may just go out and get a copy of the NYTimes, and read it leisurely.  And even attempt the crossword puzzle (ah, a Starting Here, Starting Now reference).

Oh, DR Sarah - Sorry about your audition experience.  I ALWAYS try to be kind to everyone at auditions - well, it's in my nature to be kind, I have to try to be mean and uncooperative.  And I know you mentioned before that it was for a cabaret performance opportunity... But is it associated with a local theatre company, or with the club/venue where it will be performed?  *I'm mainly asking since I usually keep up with the audition notices around DC, so... Just curious.   In any case, ageism does exist, unfortunately... and to sort of play devil's advocate... If the audition notice said be there at 1:00...  I'm just amazed you were able to sing that soon after getting up!  *However, I remember having 9:00AM voice lessons in college - and there were days when I would get up at 8:40-45 and RUN to the studio.. and have a real good lesson - ?!?!?!  I guess the rush of adrenaline got me all warmed up.

Well, I'm getting into babbling mode...

Ciao for niao...

DR SWW - Monday will be a big baking day for me - It has to be since I haven't baked the past two Mondays, even though I made trips to the grocery store each of those Mondays for chocolate chips, toffe chips, bits 'o brickle(!), peanut butter, ginger, etc...  Any favorite recipes from your recent forays?  Oh, and since I've never been to Rehoboth, can I come and cook in your kitchen? ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2003, 11:24:02 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up