Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ME DAY  (Read 20189 times)

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ME DAY
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2003, 11:58:45 AM »

Bruce-

Meant to post this special message from Juliana last night. It was recorded when she was in NY and was meant for the chat that night that we were both dining... but I figured you might like to hear the last sentence today of all days...

http://www.haineshisway.com/juliana/juliana.rm

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2003, 12:07:09 PM »

Thanks for the offer on ALIAS. An e-mail acquaintance told me what happened last night, so I am up to date on events. I just wish I could have seen them unfold for myself. I will, either in network rerun OR on the DVD set for Season 3 when it's released (probably in September before the start of Season 4.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2003, 12:13:51 PM »

Happy Birthday, MR BK!  Here's hoping you are listening to Patty Duke by starlight tonight!

Favorite Paul Newman films:

From the Terrace, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Hud

And yes Miss Patricia Neal in HUD is tops!  Brandon deWilde and Melvyn Douglas are also tops!  Terrific movie!

I first heard of MR BK through DR JMK and came to the site.  Then of course I realized that I had MANY BK-Produced Cd's and the rest is history.  NOT ancient history, but history nonetheless.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: December 08, 2003, 12:14:29 PM »

Break a leg MATTH!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: December 08, 2003, 12:15:54 PM »

Thanks for the offer on ALIAS. An e-mail acquaintance told me what happened last night, so I am up to date on events. I just wish I could have seen them unfold for myself. I will, either in network rerun OR on the DVD set for Season 3 when it's released (probably in September before the start of Season 4.)

Ah I gotta go now, so I typed out what I remembered. There was something I wasn't sure of so maybe you can explain that to me!

Yes I'm sure they will re-run the episode soon.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2003, 12:22:15 PM »

Happy B'day, BK!

I first became aware of Mr. Kimmel when his name kept appearing as producer on all these soundtrack and show tune records/CDs I owned.  The name had also stuck with me when I had seen Nudie Musical on cable eons ago.  So when I accidentally met him and was introduced to him in my favourite book store, I actually had something worthwile to say to him other than "Oh, nice to meet ya."  I don't know if he remembers that initial ships-in-the-night meeting or not.  But I figured with his taste in music and his taste in bookstores he must be a man somewhat after my own heart.   Then I saw his Kritzer novels cropping up in said favourite book store and so when he did a reading about a year ago, I dropped in and the rest as they say is history.

Fav Newman flicks: I love the Left-Handed Gun.  I also like Nobody's Fool.  And I have weakness for a couple of fifties glossies he did...From The Terrace and The Young Philadelphians.  Also like Harper and The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean.

And now, since I have been up all night, finishing my latest opus,  I must go to bed as soon as the messenger gets here to take it to my agent.  And then I ain't doing a damned bit of work (except on what I want) until after the holidays.

Have a fun B'day, BK, when I get up later, I will drink a diet coke in your honour.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2003, 12:25:13 PM »

Have a good audition Matth! You will be great, I just know it!

Francios, come-out come-out where ever you are. I have a question for you!!!!

Jennifer and MBarnum, I no longer find Francois listed on the Member List.   I assume he has flown the proverbial HHW coop.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #67 on: December 08, 2003, 12:47:05 PM »

And I shall be away from the board for a few hours (D Non R Colin needs me to be his chaffeur this morning) and I shall miss the fanfares, streamers and anything left over from BK's birthday, used to welcome Dr TCB to the heavyside layer. Corruption of a host of angels may eventuate. There may indeed be things happening that heaven never dreamed of! I look forward to your arrival TCB.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: December 08, 2003, 01:07:29 PM »

HARPER is a good detective flick. Which Paul Newman films haven't folks seen?

I haven't seen HOMBRE (and I noticed TCM is showing it sometime soon) nor THE LIFE AND TIMES OF JUDGE ROY BEAN.

Doesn't anyone here like the overheated melodrama of THE LONG HOT SUMMER (the film where he met Joanne Woodward)? And I don't see too many people mentioning that zenith of cinematic art THE TOWERING INFERNO!

Diane

« Reply #69 on: December 08, 2003, 01:18:04 PM »

Forgot the Long Hot Summer and Road To Perdition. Both excellent films.

Question: So how the hell does one give Karma on this board? I can't figure it out

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]???  ???  ???  ???  ??? [/move]
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 01:18:41 PM by Diane »
I LOVE A Piano....

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2003, 01:21:34 PM »

You'll be able to give karma once you've got twenty or twenty-five posts behind you.

I'm partial to The Outrage and Hombre, and really like The Sting and Butch Cassidy, too.  He's very charming in Rally Round the Flag, Boys.  

Matt H.

« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2003, 01:43:35 PM »

I can understand why BUTCH CASSIDY was/is so popular, but it's never been one of my great favorites. I guess the inevitability of their end kind of puts a damper on my fun, but it is beautifully made. I never upgraded from my special edition laserdisc box. I'm sure the transfer's better, but I'm not sure I'd watch the film enough to justify getting the DVD.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2003, 01:45:57 PM »

Granted, MattH, The Towering Inferno may not have been an excercise in great acting, but I still find it a very entertaining film.  I thought Newman, McQueen, and Robert Wagner were all very good in the film.  I don't think the same can be said about Mr. Holden or Mr. Chamberlain.  Still, I would gladly sit through The Towering Inferno a dozen times, than have to sit through Poseidon Adventure even once.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2003, 01:49:57 PM »

The Butch DVD is a must-have - if you thought the laserdisc looked good, you're in for a big surprise.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2003, 01:58:03 PM »

In honor of Angels in America and my ascent into heaven, I brought along my little friend.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2003, 01:59:08 PM »

DR TCB, I find THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE infinitely more fun to sit through than THE TOWERING INFERNO, but it too is entertaining in a trasy kind of way. (I have them both on DVD, but I find I go back to POSEIDON more often for a quick viewing.) It's EARTHQUAKE which I find excruciatingly awful in every way.

bk, I'm learning that with few exceptions, the DVDs of films beat the laserdiscs of the same release by MILES in terms of video quality. I couldn't get over the difference in clarity between the LES GIRLS and SILK STOCKINGS DVDs and their laserdisc counterparts, and I thought the lasers were fine until I saw the DVDs. Made me want to pitch my laserdisc player out the back door. (I would give up on lasers entirely if there weren't still so many laserdiscs on my collection that haven't been issued on DVD.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003, 02:02:33 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2003, 02:01:04 PM »

COngratulations, Dear Dieu TCB. Welcome to my cloud!  :D

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2003, 02:05:59 PM »

Oh, I wish that were my experience.  My laser of "Les Girls" is great, as is ""Silk Stockings."

My DVD of "Les Girls" looks "soft," and the audio levels on the DVD of "Silk Stockings" are way too low.  I'm not happy with them at all.  I love the movies, though!!!

I love "The Long, Hot Summer" and "From the Terrace."  I'm also very partial to "The Young Philadelphians" and wish someone would issue it on DVD.

My first BK encounter:  I didn't know it at the time, but I did rejoice at some of the Bay Cities releases and ordered them from my FPO address when I was in Italy.

Later, I became "somewhat" acquainted with him through a post on Filmus-L.  But it was the day after Oscar night two years ago when he jumped to my defense over on the rec.music.movies board when I was being assailed for having a tongue-in-cheek opinion about the Oscar winners and their various behaviors on TV.

I visited HHW.com that very day.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2003, 02:11:33 PM »

COngratulations, Dear Dieu TCB. Welcome to my cloud!  :D

Thank you, Gracious God.
“One thing’s universal,

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2003, 02:14:09 PM »

DR Ron, once you get a TV that can take advantage of the anamorphic nature of those DVDs, I think you'll see a big difference. There was simply no comparison between them when I synched them up and switched back and forth between them.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2003, 02:19:26 PM »

Well, see, now, there you've lost me.

My TV doesn't let me do any synching (lip or otherwise)!

Anamorphically challenged,
Ron

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2003, 02:27:08 PM »

DR Ron, hard for me to know if you're teasing with me or not. But I'll answer on the assumption that you're not teasing.

I have the video and audio for both machines running through my receiver, so it's just a matter of pushing the receiver button for DVD or for laser (which is Video 1 on my receiver) to switch back and forth to compare.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2003, 02:31:16 PM »

I will always dislike the Towering Inferno for one sequence right after RJ gets it the dwell on the next five minutes or so as Susan Flannery chokes to death as the smoke and the fire creep towards the office where she is trapped. When she finally can take the smoke anymore she smashes the window and the are rushing in catches her on fire and the she dives out the window to avoid being burned and she falls to her death. Overkill if you ask me.

At least in the TV version that part as been edited out all you see is her reaction to RJ's death. She screams "DAN!" and runs away. It then cuts to the firemen fighting the reception area blaze.You know she will die without having to spend five minutes watching it.

The only plus side for Susan Flannery is that The Golden Globe awards gave her The Best Supporting Actress award for her elongated death scene.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2003, 02:33:12 PM »

And dear dear Matt

The roar of the GREASEPAINT says MERDE
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2003, 02:35:25 PM »

DR Michael, No, the Golden Globes gave her the Most Promising Newcomer award for THE TOWERING INFERNO. Karen Black won Best Supporting Actress that year for THE GREAT GATSBY.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2003, 02:39:56 PM »

DG TCB --what kind of shrine would YOU like?

Michael

« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2003, 02:42:25 PM »

DR Michael, No, the Golden Globes gave her the Most Promising Newcomer award for THE TOWERING INFERNO. Karen Black won Best Supporting Actress that year for THE GREAT GATSBY.

Of course Matt is correct.

I was only a young child when the film came out and of course DR Matt has a much better memory of the event that time than I do.
Never stop dreaming.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2003, 02:48:18 PM »

Of course Matt is correct.

I was only a young child when the film came out and of course DR Matt has a much better memory of the event that time than I do.

You got that right! I am OLD!! I was also into my second year of teaching the year that came out, so I do remember that fairly well (though I looked it up to make sure.)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2003, 02:56:20 PM »

I did my birthday well-wishing after midnight Eastern time last night.

I probably got to know BK from RATM  (all the initials! - it's PDQ!)

That's an interesting "justification" Bill Russell has, on the current Broadway radio show, for SideShow's having two distinct musical styles.  I say, if you can't stand to be "stuck in the music of the 30's" then you probably shouldn't write a show set in the 30's.  And, if you want to write disco, write Taboo, not Tunnel of Love

I guess I've never been much of a Paul Newman fan.  The Sting, I guess, would be my favorite.

Our DVD player no longer works...

But, I managed to ship out a huge number of CD's today.  And I now know how to save on shipping.

www.WeddingMusical.com

In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Michael

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2003, 03:12:35 PM »

Looking at the the Golden Globes year 1975 when Towering Inferno came out. How some of these actors and films received a nomination is beyond me. All I can guess is that money, sex and drugs must ahve been involved)

No complaints about the Drama actors and actresses.

Here are some of the oddities: Helen Hayes (Herbie Rides Again), Lucille Ball (Mame) and this one is not so bad but is really a supporting role Cloris Leachman in Young Frankenstein. The winner was Racquel Welch for the Three Musketeers!!! The only true nominee was Diahnn Carroll for Claudine who went on to receive an oscar nomination with four of the five drama nominees. (Liv Ullamn's Scenes From a Marriage was ruled ineligable)

Drama film: Earthquake!

Comedy/Musical: Herbie Rides Again, Mame

Best Actor Comedy/Musical. Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau for the Front Page and Burt Reynolds for The Longest Yard.

Best Screenplay: The Towering Inferno.  (the flame crackes. People scream)

Best Music Score: The winner was Lerner and Loewe for The Little Prince. Other nominees, Paul Williams Phantom of the Paradise and Earthquake. (John Williams cribed from his score for the Towering Inferno which was much better)

Best Song: Nominees were: Benji's Theme (I Feel Love), I Never Met a Rose (Little Prince), On and On (Claudine), Sail the Summer Wind (The Dove) We May Never Love Like This Again (The Love Theme From The Towering Inferno) which is one long ass title.

Benji was the winner, but only this song and the one from the Towering Inferno would compete for the Oscars. A different song from Little Prince would be nominated.

Ever since the Pia Zedora husband bought her the folden globe the most promising new comer award has been discontinued. But that year it was

Female: Susan Fannery (Who is primarily a daytime tv actress and has one several Emmys for Days of Our Lives and The Bold and the Beautiful. Ann Turkel  (99 44/100% Dead) and Helen Reddy (Aiport 1975) both who no longer act anymore. Valerie Harper who never really had a film career and Julie Gholson for Where the Lilies Bloom who's first and last acting credit was this film.

Male: Joseph Bottoms for the Dove. Never an actor so aptly named. Started at the top and is now.........Owns and runs an art gallery now.

Lee Strassberg was 73 years old when he received this nomiation for Godfather II, James Hampton for the Longest Yard a good character actor who never was a star. Steven Warner for The Little Prince whose one other acting credit was the Boy in The Mayor of Casterbridge. The one true nomination was Sam Waterson who has gone on to a notable career in film, theater and television.
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up