Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EVELYN WOOD  (Read 20705 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:EVELYN WOOD
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2003, 07:57:16 AM »

Great Debbie Reynolds story, DR Panni, and sounds exactly like the Debbie I met during her run in IRENE on Broadway. I can't say enough about her professionalism, the warmth she exudes meeting not only fans but also reporters (I was interviewing her for the newspaper syndicate I was writing for part time), and her dedication to her craft. And she had wonderful stories to tell about her working experiences, but back then, she was more guarded about saying anything negative since people like Gene Kelly were still alive. I'd LOVE to have a chance to talk to her now that so many of the people she worked with are no longer with us and she could be free to talk "out of school," so to speak.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2003, 08:00:52 AM »

DR MBarnum, you and I will have to fight over Christopher Meloni. In fact, I have a one of a kind, personally autographed poster of him that he did for four of us who were instrumental in getting his website up and running. I'll take a picture of it later today and put it up here.

Emily

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2003, 08:06:39 AM »

Happy Birthday to MBarnum...

One of the sweetest, nicest, funny, supportive and intelligent internet users ever!  Oh... and did I mention hotter than sex-on-toast himself? :)

I love Jose.  More on which later.  

Thanks everyone for your encouragement re: seeing shows alone.  I'll definitely consider it - and it will definitely be easier than convincing Andrea to part with her cash.  Although I also see where she is coming from.  I mean... I understand the CONCEPT of living within one's means... :D  

Yesterday was my mini-depression-angry-at-the-world day. But now it is over.  Thank God.  

Maya I am going to need a decision from you on the exact dates you will be in NY soon so I can make arrangements for something you will learn about (and thrill to) later.  There is a deadline chica. ;)

I'm off for breakfast with the family.  Thank God for siblings who are off-exams, and who work from home on Wednesdays!  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 08:07:12 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2003, 08:07:54 AM »

MusicGuy: Yes, the house is still standing, quite near Pico and La Cienega - perhaps when I'm making my rounds or, at the very least, my squares, on Saturday, I'll snap a photo.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2003, 08:29:52 AM »

Thanks everyone for your encouragement re: seeing shows alone.  I'll definitely consider it - and it will definitely be easier than convincing Andrea to part with her cash.  

Ha ha ha. That is the best line of the day. Sorry Andrea!

I know some people feel awkward about doing such things alone. And believe me DR Emily, I totally get it. I rarely (if ever) go to the theatre alone here. But NYC isn't the same. Trust me, you won't feel strange. And this way you won't have to feel guilty.

Or why not just make DR Craig go with you! :)

Diane

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2003, 08:44:29 AM »

Jennifer and MattH :For awhile they had Dark Chocolate peanut butter cups..I almost OD'd on those damn things!  :P

And what did Melana  say that made you cringe Jennifer?!

Mbarnum: I think most men get better with age ;)

I LOVE A Piano....

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2003, 08:52:36 AM »

Most men get better with age? Well, I'd like to think so, but sad to say, others don't feel the way you do (like the guys I want to date - :D).

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2003, 08:52:58 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,

MICHAEL BARNUM!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Diane

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2003, 08:54:54 AM »

Matt: Stupid boys..they don't know wha they're missing!  ;D
I LOVE A Piano....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2003, 08:59:42 AM »

Most men get better with age? Well, I'd like to think so, but sad to say, others don't feel the way you do (like the guys I want to date - :D).

That is so true, MattH, apparently once you hit thirty-five you might as well drown in the dating pool.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2003, 09:01:56 AM »

The real Singing Nun appears on the Ed Sullivan Christmas DVD.

To our future NY visitors:

Discount tickets for most Broadway shows are available if you know where to look.  If you want to take your chances on the day of the show there's always TKTS.  Advance discount tickets (usually 35%-50% off) to many shows are available on several websites including Theatermania.Com and Playbill.Com.  These are usually only $5-$15 more than at TKTS and you have the advantage of ordering them in advance.  Most shows have about 90% of the house at top price with only the last couple of rows in the balcony at a lower price.  Standing Room is only sold day of the performance if all seats are sold out.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2003, 09:02:07 AM »

Wow, Matth, send a link to Christopher's website too! That is cool!

What nice birthday posts I am seeing! Hurray for the nice people of HHW! TCB that is the biggest lip smacker I have ever seen! LOL! And Emily...Sex-on-Toast...can you get that at IHOP?

I am gorging on chocalate today...mint m&ms, peanut m&ms, Sees dark chocolates...man do these guys at work know me or what! I am gonna be sick pretty soon, though, if I don't stop eating it all.

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2003, 09:04:12 AM »

The real Singing Nun appears on the Ed Sullivan Christmas DVD.

I have her CD. She had a very sad end to her life, unfortunately.

Ron Pulliam

Re:40th Birthday!
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2003, 09:14:34 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, MBarnum![/move]

May you have many, many, MANY more!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 09:15:09 AM by Ron Pulliam »

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2003, 09:20:09 AM »

DR sexatoastish MBarnum,

Well, since you are the B'day Boy, the boy of the moment, the top of the tree, Baskin-Robbins 32nd flavor, the Bosey to us old Wilde's, .....

Would you mind sharing just a little more of the details of "freelance writer/state worker"  with us cookies here in the jar??

We are interested....enquiring minds want to know?

Are you a native of the Northwest, or do you have a wonderfully sordid past that trails you in may other states?

:o  :-X

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2003, 09:22:20 AM »

Happy Birthday MBARNUM!!!!   ;D

May this be the year you find MISS JUNE KENNEY!!!

And from your Bollywood Friends!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Janam Din Ki Badhai![/move]

Lots of interesting posts....hmmmmmmmm....DR PANNI what a great Debbie Reynolds story.  So many of her movies are favorites of mine, including This Happy Feeling!

My question for ask BK day:  (I hope Patty Duke arrives for you today) -

What movie do you think gives the best and most honest picture of theatre backstage....and movies backstage.  (TFNM is not eligible for this particular question...I mean some OTHER movie about movies!).

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2003, 09:32:57 AM »

DR MBarnum, Chris' website can be found at:

www.christopher-meloni.com

If you search long enough, you'll find me as one of the Denizens of the Forum with a picture of me sans mustache.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2003, 09:36:50 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]Happy[/size][/move]
[size=20][move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Birthday[/move][/size]
[size=20][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]DR[/move][/size]
[size=20][move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MBarnum[/move][/size]
[size=20][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]!!!!![/move][/size]

Kinda neat, how the lines end up staggered as time goes on, isn't it!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2003, 09:43:35 AM »

DR JRand53, I brought in to work the cd soundtrack to Pakheeza that you sent to me awhile back which I am listening to at this very moment. I can't get enough of "Chalte Chalte"! My co-workers don't quite know what to make of it all! LOL! I also brought in my soundtrack to ANAND, which has some very nice songs on it as well.

DR MusicGuy, my freelance writing consists mostly of interviewing vintage B movie actors and actresses. If you pick up the current issue of Scarlet Street you will see two interviews that I conducted with two 1960s sword and sandal actors...Mark Forest and Reg Lewis. I should have several interviews published this year in Filmfax, Classic Images, and Films of the Golden Age, and maybe a few more in Scarlet Street, I hope. It is a lot of fun and I have met some very nice people through the interviews...some of my interviewees have actually become very good friends I am pleased to say. Sadly a couple of my interviewees passed away this year (Beth Marion and Gordon Mitchell). Anyway, it has always been a dream of mine to be able to do this and now I am doing it!

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2003, 09:45:09 AM »

Kinda neat, how the lines end up staggered as time goes on, isn't it!

That is how I feel some mornings! LOL!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2003, 09:45:35 AM »

A very happy birthday MBarnum.  I hope you have a perfect day.  :)

Swishy Sarah my deepest condolences to you.  I’m sure you will always keep this person in your heart.  You were both lucky to have a special relationship.

Bye, I'm off to L.A. Have fun while I'm gone.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2003, 10:03:41 AM »

And what did Melana  say that made you cringe Jennifer?!

Maybe cringe is the wrong word. It's more like it made me sick! :)

I was really disappointed with the finale.  But I also hated how the couple came across on Leno.  She did not let him get a word in.

There were two things she said that bugged me (and btw, I don't think they've been able to see each other for 7 months).

1.  She acted like she was wonderful for choosing Jason (the pretty-boy) claiming, "i didn't pick adam even though he was rich".  She made herself seem like a saint. Although she completely neglected to realize that her actions defeated the whole purpose of the show.  Oh well, if she'd rather date the hunk, with no prospects, fine.  But she sounded so dumb.

2. Jay Leno asked her what her type of guy was and she basically said that she always dated guys that looked exactly like Jason.

Then why did she spend so much time trying to convince everyone that she wanted charm and personality????

They seemed all happy. But who knows.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2003, 10:03:58 AM »

I just read that Encore's NEW MOON will be recorded.  I was not particularly looking forward to this show but it turned out to be the highlight of last season's Encores, so the recording should be excellent.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2003, 10:09:27 AM »

To our future NY visitors:

Discount tickets for most Broadway shows are available if you know where to look.  If you want to take your chances on the day of the show there's always TKTS.  Advance discount tickets (usually 35%-50% off) to many shows are available on several websites including Theatermania.Com and Playbill.Com.  These are usually only $5-$15 more than at TKTS and you have the advantage of ordering them in advance.  Most shows have about 90% of the house at top price with only the last couple of rows in the balcony at a lower price.  Standing Room is only sold day of the performance if all seats are sold out.

I would definitely recommend the discount codes (there are so many of them, PBOL, hitshowlist). But I would also to go to the visitor's bureau (in Times Square beside McDonalds) and go to the middle desk and ask for the two-fer discount coupons. Although I'm sure they won't have Wicked.

Btw, DR Emily: If you guys don't have much money why don't you ask for theatre tickets for Christmas (or the cash to buy the tickets).

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2003, 10:23:09 AM »

Ask BK:

You've got a musical theatre CD to sell (via website only), but no budget for promotion.  What do you do to make all the musical theatre CD collectors out there aware of its existence?

http://www.weddingmusical.com/
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2003, 10:23:45 AM »

Aughghghghghgh!

My Eyes!  My Eyes!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2003, 10:45:44 AM »

Happy Birthday Dear Reader MBarnum!!!  May the future bring you all that you want!

And keep repeating the mantra:  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  "Life begins at 40."  
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Diane

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2003, 11:09:07 AM »

Jennifer: OMG!  She is so lame..and I kinda thought she seemed cool when I was watching the show :P

Ron: Ummm..are you ok? LOL
I LOVE A Piano....

Diane

« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2003, 11:10:06 AM »

YIPPEE!!! I can give KARMA now!!!

;D  ;D   ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D
I LOVE A Piano....

Matt H.

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2003, 11:13:31 AM »

I bought the Decca Broadway NEW MOON that was released last year, and I loved every single track on it. All of those Decca Broadway operettas were much better than I thought they would be. One might not be able to sit through the silly stories nowadays, but the music is as stirring and lovely as it ever was if you've got the right voices singing it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up