Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN BUSINESS  (Read 23405 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BACK IN BUSINESS
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:18:15 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were all business, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're also back in business and moo-ving right along.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 12:10:50 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:BACK IN BUSINESS
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 12:20:17 AM »

And the word of the day is: QUINQUAGENARIAN!

Smoke on your pipe and put that in!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 12:39:12 AM »

wwwwww - sorry, the W key was/is sticking on this computer I'm using.

Welcome six GUESTS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 12:46:56 AM »

I've got 10 years to go. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 12:54:05 AM »

Talking about sticking keys...the middle F key on my piano used to stick until I took it apart and fixed it.  I think it was made in the 1960s, so it's not any kind of antique.  It also hasn't been tuned since before we moved here to Washington, 30 years ago!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 04:31:21 AM »

ASK BK:
The Sunday NY Times had a review of Helen Reddy's new memoir cakked The Woman I Am. The reviewer thinks its a hoot and from what I gather thinks she is a wack job. The following she describes a chapter in the book.

In a not-to-be-missed chapter entitled "Royalty and Reincarnation," Reddy, having dropped the bombshell that Wallis Warfield Simpson, Duchess of Windsor, was the reincarnation of Richard III, provides a chart of the dramatis personae surrounding the abdication of Edward VIII to demonstrate that it all goes back to the Wars of the Roses. Wallis (or Richard), it seems, had a soul mission to atone for the murders of the little princes in the tower and to see that the crown was returned to its rightful heirs. Edward, Duke of Windsor, was once Richard's personal servant (he is given no name) and can again doggedly devote himself to his monarch once Wallis has arrived on the scene. The little princes are, of course, Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret. And, in the same chapter, Elvis was King Tut.

OK if you read alll of that what did you think about working with her and did she talk about her beliefs including  group karma, which "involves several people — often family members but not necessarily in the same configuration — reincarnating together to resolve unfinished business, so spouses might reincarnate as siblings or vice versa
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 05:02:33 AM »

Good morning, all!  My dad is showing such signs of recovery, he is now making decisions on what medications he should and should not be taking.  I fear this will precipitate a huge clash between my sister-in-law Donna, his doctors, and himself.  In some ways, this makes me quite happy to be out of the conflict in 6 days, but it could be 6 tense ones.  His lady friend has also let him know that his family is angry with her for keeping him out so long on Sunday, so this could be a tense week.

This morning my brother Randy and I take him to fill prescriptions; I hope it's pleasant.  Families, oy!

DR Matt H, the only bad news about that PRIDE AND PREJUDICE release would be if I couldn't buy TALE OF TWO CITIES and COPPERFIELD separately, like the TOO MANY GIRLS situation.  As to the Garson-Olivier P&P, it's got the great Mary Boland, a lot of girls remembering how to be virginal, a terrible screenplay, and none of Austen's tone.  One viewing was definitely enough for me!

I do want TOO MANY GIRLS at the moment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 05:24:53 AM »

Here is a video to watch today:

Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 05:36:51 AM »

Smoke on your pipe and put that in!
"Does being in your fifties make you blue?" AN ENQUIRING, AQUA-tinged QUINQUAGENARIAN asked.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 05:37:39 AM »

I've got 10 years to go. :)
Oh, I hope you'll be around longer than that!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 05:39:50 AM »

OK if you read alll of that what did you think about working with her and did she talk about her beliefs including  group karma, which "involves several people — often family members but not necessarily in the same configuration — reincarnating together to resolve unfinished business, so spouses might reincarnate as siblings or vice versa

Actually, DR MS, I'm a firm believer in all that.  I hope that in one life time or another, Lucrezia and I can put all that nonsense about the orgies and mutual murder attempts behind us.  
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 05:42:51 AM »

... And, in the same chapter, Elvis was King Tut....
Does Steve Martin know about this?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 05:51:44 AM »

A query for our esteemed BK:

Whatever do you imbibe when you are at a soiree, and the host or hostess has crassly forgotten to lay some Diet Coke in stock?

There's Diet Pepsi, of course, but that's hardly the same stuff.  (They mix the syrup using wire hangers, I hear.)

On a tangent, we've had cases of Diet Coke on sale, five cases for ten dollars.  Not a bad price, but I fear the shipping costs from the Beach of Rehoboth to the Hollywood of North would destroy the savings.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2006, 06:06:33 AM »

Nice new avatar DR MS!

Partying with Jack Larson?  What could be MORE sophisticated than that, I ask you?

Hopefully my computer will continue to work today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2006, 06:07:02 AM »

I remember seeing that production of Fifth of July on the telly.  I'd read the play previously, but watching it made Wilson's use of overlapping dialogue much clearer.

Thomas was, I believe, the third actor to play the male lead, Ken Talley.  William Hurt played the role off-Broadway, and Christopher Reeve was the original Ken on Broadway.  (Somewhat eerie, that.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2006, 06:07:35 AM »

Rained out fireworks here last night, so they started VERY late and went on for a very long time.  My guess is that they were on PST.  Since we are on EDST....it does NOT get dark until about 9:45 anyway.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2006, 06:08:38 AM »

I saw that TeeVee production as well, DR SWW....and I thought it was very enjoyable.  I have always liked Mr Richard Thomas' performances.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2006, 06:09:14 AM »

Well...let's see....my question for ASK BK day to start with will be.....what did Mr Jack Larson WEAR to the party yesterday?

Ginny

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 06:18:20 AM »

Monday Wednesday morning greetings!  Sure seems like the beginning, not the middle, of a work week.

Like DR Cillaliz, DH Richard and I watched some of the Independence Day programs on TV last night.  Didn't think much of any of the singing.  We tuned in a little late for the NYC/Macy's fireworks program on NBC, so I have a question for New Yorkers:

Where is Waterside Plaza?  From time to time, there was a split screen, showing the fireworks in one and an orchestra at Waterside Plaza.  None of my maps have such a place labeled.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 06:39:24 AM »

Good news from DR ELMORE. :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 06:41:13 AM »

THE FIFTH OF JULY is one of my favorite plays.  I was lucky enough to see William Hurt at Circle Rep and then Christopher Reeves on B'way.  But all in all, I like Richard Thomas the best as Ken Talley--I just found him the most believable as a man who went from 60s war protester to soldier to disabled schoolteacher.  I enjoy the video production a lot, too.  I like how it opens the play up a little (with the exterior farmhouse shots, though I'm sure they still used the original play set for the interiors.)  Also, it preserves Swoosie Kurtz's hoot of a performance.  

When I was in my senior year as a theatre major in college, I campaigned the department heads to put on FIFTH OF JULY as one of our productions.  I wanted to play Ken, and my girlfriend at the time would have been perfect as Gwen.  And jerkface that I was back then, I had my eye on a particularly hunky fellow student to play Jed, who I daydreamed of picking me up and carrying me bare chested at the end of Act One.

We did THE THREE SISTERS instead.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 07:20:40 AM »

Here is my question for Mr BK...what scandalous things were discussed at the soiree? What did you talk to Jack Larson about? What did you talk to Marsha Hunt about? I want all the gossip!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 07:23:29 AM »

I remember seeing that production of Fifth of July on the telly.  I'd read the play previously, but watching it made Wilson's use of overlapping dialogue much clearer.

Thomas was, I believe, the third actor to play the male lead, Ken Talley.  William Hurt played the role off-Broadway, and Christopher Reeve was the original Ken on Broadway.  (Somewhat eerie, that.)

I need to buy the DVD of 5TH OF JULY; I saw the Broadway production with both Reeve and Thomas.  My friend Helen Stenborge (Mrs Barnard Hughes)
is Aunt Sally, and I dearly love her.  The only other performances of her on video, I believe, are the Merchant-Ivory THE EUROPEANS with Lee Remick and a HOMICIDE episode in which she and Barney play a married couple who killed their respective spouses to be together.

The outing with my dad turned out to be an unpleasant one:  now that he's no longer at death's door, the King Lear power is back and we're all morons for neither anticipating his whims or allowing him to be needy when he's weak and terrified.  I really don't want to analyze the situation, but the facts are these:
  1.  It was the VA (Veteran's Authority) hospital that diagnosed his hemorrhaging that led to the colonoscopy so he believes his doctor there knows everything.  The fact that the VA in the past 15 years has never recommended/enforced a colonoscopy means that there were several opportunities to catch this cancer at an earlier stage.
  2.  The paperwork with the VA is ridiculous and my father refused other forms of Medicaid recommended by his oncologist to get what he believes to be cheaper prescriptions through the VA.
  3.  My father, who is not a poor man, is penny wise and pund foolish.
  4.  The paperwork for the VA from the oncologist's office had not been done on Monday afternoon and it certainly wasn't ready this morning, meaning all travel was futile.  The angrier my dad got, the meaner he got.

So, when we got to the VA with no paper work, he told my brother and me to wait in the car.  Because his walking is poor, I said I was going in with him.  His response: "keep your mouth shut."  Right now I want to kick his ass from here to Kingdom come.  I'll probably sulk the rest of the day, and try to be in a better mood tomorrow.  I know exactly why Goneril and Regan wanted to tie Lear down!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 07:47:41 AM »

Good morning!

You know the drill: hot, muggy, very uncomfortable to be outside, so I'll be staying inside today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 07:51:23 AM »

DR Elmore, I'm with you completely about TOO MANY GIRLS. That's the one I wanted from that Lucy-Desi box, and it was the one film NOT sold separately. The next time it comes on TCM, I will burn my own DVD-R until such time as Warners decides to release it separately. I can do you one, too, but I have no idea when it might come back on.

I do hope that the classics are available separately. I have no interest in Wallace Beery's Long John Silver, but if I have to buy the box, at least that is the only one I wouldn't really care about having.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:52:07 AM by Matt H. »

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2006, 07:53:42 AM »

For those interested in such things DeepdiscountDVD is having a 50% off sale on Kino DVD. Lots of interesting film noir, silent, and foreign titles.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:54:33 AM by MBarnum »

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2006, 07:55:55 AM »

Quote from: Matt H. on Yesterday at 01:26:02pm

You sure did! The copy you made for me is one of my most prized possessions! As I've said before, I MUCH prefer it to the original Broadway cast recording.

DR George Wrote:

And you get Howard Da Silva! ;D

You certainly do! And Blythe Danner! And John Cullum! And Donald Madden! All of whom better their Broadway counterparts in the song numbers.

And William Daniels, Ron Holgate, and Ken Howard are also all in much better voice in the film.

Only Virginia Vestoff seems equally adept on both cast album and soundtrack.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 07:56:56 AM »

For those interested in such things DeepdiscountDVD is having a 50% off sale on Kino DVD. Lots of interesting film noir, silent, and foreign titles.

Thank you for the tip, DR MBarnum. I'll go there now and check things out!

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 07:58:52 AM »

I'm not really sure what's on tap video-wise for today. I know I recorded that WORLD POLICE movie (with the X-rated puppets) off Showtime-HD last night. I have an episode of LOVESPRING INTERNATIONAL to watch.

I saw the DVR recording something this morning, but I have no clue what it might be.

And I still have The 5,000 FINGERS OD DR. T to watch.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 08:02:10 AM »

ASK BK:
The Sunday NY Times had a review of Helen Reddy's new memoir cakked The Woman I Am. The reviewer thinks its a hoot and from what I gather thinks she is a wack job. The following she describes a chapter in the book.

In a not-to-be-missed chapter entitled "Royalty and Reincarnation," Reddy, having dropped the bombshell that Wallis Warfield Simpson, Duchess of Windsor, was the reincarnation of Richard III, provides a chart of the dramatis personae surrounding the abdication of Edward VIII to demonstrate that it all goes back to the Wars of the Roses. Wallis (or Richard), it seems, had a soul mission to atone for the murders of the little princes in the tower and to see that the crown was returned to its rightful heirs. Edward, Duke of Windsor, was once Richard's personal servant (he is given no name) and can again doggedly devote himself to his monarch once Wallis has arrived on the scene. The little princes are, of course, Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret. And, in the same chapter, Elvis was King Tut.

Well, let's just say she was a piece of work.  I liked her, but she was quite strange at times and quite open about her randiness with her twenty-something year-old South American or Hawaiian (can't remember which) lover.  Oh, the stories we were told, not that we asked to hear them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up