Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK IN BUSINESS  (Read 23387 times)

Cillaliz

Re:BACK IN BUSINESS
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2006, 10:59:16 AM »

Well you cound read these, and become unconvinced:

The Princes in the Tower by Alison Weir. The author argues convincingly that Richard III did indeed arrange the murder of his young nephews, King Edward V and Prince Richard, so he could seize the throne.

The Princes in the Tower by Elizabeth Jenkins. Did Richard III have his nephews killed? The author of this book says yes.

Or read this, and become re-concinced:

The Mystery of the Princes by Audrey Williamson. The author believes the princes were not murdered. This book won the 1978 Crime Writers' Association Gold Dagger Award for Nonfiction.

der Brucer (always aiming to bring clarity to an issue 8))

I know I read another book that reached the opposite conclusion, but I don't remember which one.   I first became interested in the princes when I read a novel called The Daughter of Time back in college. I don't remember the author.  I would be up for another book on the princes, thanks for the suggestions
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 11:00:22 AM by Cillaliz »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2006, 10:59:54 AM »

31 years ago today, I was living in Athens, Greece.

I had spent the 4th at the home of some co-workers in Glyfada, a suburb of Athens.  We had a turkey barbecue.

I wish I could go back to that time, knowing what I know now, and live it all over again.

Oy!  The things I'd do differently...the people I'd avoid and the people I'd cultivate...the choices I'd make...and the habits I formed....would all change.

Of course, then I wouldn't be me any more.  I'd be some other fellow walking around with the same identity (one hopes I'd still be walking around).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2006, 11:24:48 AM »

Mr. Larson does believe it was suicide.  Even though the producers of the film promised him they would not blame Toni Mannix, he's not sure if they kept their promise.

Ah-hah.  Thanks for the word from the Horse's Mouth, so to speak.

Second question for ASK BK day.....what do YOU think happened?

With Ms Diane Lane playing Toni.....my guess is that it will be left open to interpretation.   8)

My other question is....where was Beverly Garland that night?   ;)

And for that matter where was Phyllis Coates?  :P
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »

I first became interested in the princes when I read a novel called The Daughter of Time back in college. I don't remember the author.  I would be up for another book on the princes, thanks for the suggestions

The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. Novel in which a 20th century detective investigates the murder of the princes.

Good Stuff Here

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2006, 11:25:50 AM »

31 years ago today, I was living in Athens, Greece.

I had spent the 4th at the home of some co-workers in Glyfada, a suburb of Athens.  We had a turkey barbecue.

I wish I could go back to that time, knowing what I know now, and live it all over again.

Oy!  The things I'd do differently...the people I'd avoid and the people I'd cultivate...the choices I'd make...and the habits I formed....would all change.

Of course, then I wouldn't be me any more.  I'd be some other fellow walking around with the same identity (one hopes I'd still be walking around).

Questions for the ages, DR RLP.  And where would and who would we all be without the Inner Net?  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2006, 11:26:37 AM »

DR CILLA LIZ....what was your favorite part of SHORT HISTORY OF A SMALL PLACE?

The two that stand out in my mind off the top of my head are the Nativity Gone Wrong....and the monkey on the water tower....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2006, 11:26:52 AM »

Wonder what the doggie is praying for?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2006, 11:27:10 AM »

"And please, God, let me dream in color!"  The Far Side.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2006, 11:37:26 AM »

I just had a lovely phone chat with Ron Raines, who's always good at seeing through my family angst because he's been there.  His sage and curt advice anfter learning my dad has a cell phone was that we should all adapt the attitude for any parent with a teen:  "You've got a phone; if something goes wrong, call and we'll come and take care of you."

My sister-in-law and chef par excellence Joann just returned from seeing my dad to confirm that, yep, he's pissed at me.  I'll go over later and apologize to him.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »

Well DR ELMORE...it is, after all, the Fifth of July.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2006, 12:07:31 PM »

Hoping the LIGHTS are set....if not the cues...and that the light man either shows up tonight (or NOT and gets replaced).

Doing some recording tonight of voices that are heard over the intercom!

10-4 good buddy!  Powerful Box!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2006, 12:08:55 PM »

THE FIFTH OF JULY is one of my favorite plays.  I was lucky enough to see William Hurt at Circle Rep and then Christopher Reeves on B'way.  But all in all, I like Richard Thomas the best as Ken Talley--I just found him the most believable as a man who went from 60s war protester to soldier to disabled schoolteacher.  I enjoy the video production a lot, too.  I like how it opens the play up a little (with the exterior farmhouse shots, though I'm sure they still used the original play set for the interiors.)  Also, it preserves Swoosie Kurtz's hoot of a performance.  

When I was in my senior year as a theatre major in college, I campaigned the department heads to put on FIFTH OF JULY as one of our productions.  I wanted to play Ken, and my girlfriend at the time would have been perfect as Gwen.  And jerkface that I was back then, I had my eye on a particularly hunky fellow student to play Jed, who I daydreamed of picking me up and carrying me bare chested at the end of Act One.

When I saw Jeff Daniels as Jed in FIFTH OF JULY, I thought he was one of the hottest looking men I had ever seen.  And the fact that he could pick-up and carry Christopher Reeve made him even more atttractive to me.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2006, 12:17:22 PM »

My other question is....where was Beverly Garland that night?   ;)

She was busy trying to get Allison Hayes tossed off another horse.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2006, 12:18:08 PM »

Derbrucer,

Bert Fields' book, ROYAL BLOOD, is frequently is a direct refutation to Alison Weir's book, which I also have.  I not heard great things about Weir as a historian and what I've read of her book does not convince me.  Fields dismantles her arguments with lawyerly-like precision.

Of course, the still definitive book on Richard III is Paul Murray Kendall's great biography from 1955.  

There is really nothing in Richard's character, loyalty, and what is known of his actions while serving under his brother, Edward IV, that would lead one to believe he would kill his much-loved brother's children.  And there's really nothing in his subsequent actions after the supposed murders that he would.  Even Edward's widow put the rest of her children in Richard's care.  Hardly likely if he murdered her boys.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2006, 12:19:21 PM »

Thus.....Reddy was always ready?
"I am Woman, hear me roar...
and yelp...
and squeek...
and purr...
and..."
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2006, 12:22:24 PM »

Elmore, I too wanted Ken Lay to rot in prison.  I hope that attach all his hundreds of millions and disperse to the people he screwed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2006, 12:24:45 PM »

Elmore, I too wanted Ken Lay to rot in prison.  I hope that attach all his hundreds of millions and disperse to the people he screwed.

Amen!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2006, 12:35:25 PM »

She was busy trying to get Allison Hayes tossed off another horse.

Or short sheeting the beds in her Motel Six.  8)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2006, 12:38:57 PM »

I don't think the extent of the damage he caused to individuals will ever be known or totalled....but I am sure there is a special place in H E Double Hockey Sticks for swindlers and cheats.

It's a sad thing when an honest business man or woman is considered naive.....

I thought prison was too good for him.  :-X

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2006, 12:43:49 PM »

"QUINQUAGENARIAN"

How I wish. I'm damn near a septuagintarian!

der Brucer
Oh, c'mon now, you're only... uh... oh.  Never mind.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2006, 12:50:39 PM »

I thought Quinquagenanrian was one of the least interesting characters in MOBY DICK.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2006, 12:52:16 PM »

Beautiful weather today....mid 70's temperatures and blue skies with a few clouds.

Slight breezes now and then....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2006, 12:52:36 PM »

Now...I have to go to rehearsal....oh well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2006, 12:55:21 PM »

Jan Murray.  :'(

FJL

« Reply #114 on: July 05, 2006, 01:01:04 PM »

Interestingly, in the recent off-Bway production of FIFTH OF JULY, which starred Robert Sean Leonard, the fellow playing his boyfriend never took his shirt off, and while nice-looking enough, was attired to look fairly ordinary rather than particularly sexy.  This changed the perception of the attraction between the two men, of course, and may have been responsible for bringing a bit more empathy with the main character.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: July 05, 2006, 01:09:41 PM »

I've read all of the accounts of the Reeves suicide accounts - it's really hard to say, but I tend to agree with Larson.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #116 on: July 05, 2006, 01:22:24 PM »

Had only two video offerings this afternoon due to the length of the first one.

It was the 1949 Cecil B. DeMille epic SAMSON AND DELILAH recorded off one of the HBO channels during the morning.

Why Paramount or Universal or whoever owns DVD rights to the film hasn't put it out yet is a mystery to me. It looks very good, very sharp and the Technicolor shows off all those lush Oscar-winning costumes to their fullest. There is the occasional artifact but most of it looks very good.

I hadn't seen this movie in many years, decades even, and had forgotten so much about it: Russ Tamblyn plays Saul, George Reeves (looking very husky) has one memorable scene where he must admit the legion was defeated by Samson using the jawbone of an ass. I also didn't remember that poor Angela Lansbury, despite fourth billing, doesn't even last an hour of the movie; more like 40 minutes. And George Sanders has a far better physique than I ever remembered him having.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2006, 01:26:30 PM »

We're having our first rain in over a week, more like in 10 days. Probably just a summer thunderstorm, and it won't cool anything off. We'll have a sauna here in just a bit!  :(

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »

I finshed up with THE 5,000 FINGERS OF DR. T. This is certainly one of the strangest fantasies ever made. Did it make any money at all, I wonder? More of a musical than I remembered it being, and I enjoyed seeing it again all the way through in one sitting.

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2006, 01:30:47 PM »

I still have that WORLD POLICE puppet satire to watch tonight, but I'm thinking it's going to be too ridiculous for me to sit all the way through. (I was never a big fan of THUNDERBIRDS, so a satire on those puppets isn't going to get very far with me.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up