Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YE NEWE NOTES  (Read 49216 times)

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
Re:YE NEWE NOTES
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2006, 08:17:35 AM »

So - TOD: I liked Hawaii 5-O and Magnum PI for the Island locations and big waves. Columbo, of course... some episodes of Murder She Wrote (both Levinson and Link... I miss Richard Levinson, may he rest in peace...). Boy, oh, boy, I don't quite remember individual episodes right now - how senile!
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2006, 08:17:37 AM »

Tonight ABC is broadcasting the pilot of GREY'S ANATOMY in its new 9 p.m. Thursday timeslot. So, because I have so many friends who are fans, I'm going to give it a try tonight. There is another episode immediately following.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2006, 08:18:01 AM »

A new Page!!! Tour-jete!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2006, 08:19:11 AM »

Gonna take the garbage down to town and take a bag of old clothes to the thrift shop today. Too cold and wet to do any weedage... where the heck is my summer???
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2006, 08:19:47 AM »

Jeanne! Hello - do I know you? I was in the drama class with BK at hamilton high...
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2006, 08:20:13 AM »

Penny Orloff
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2006, 08:20:34 AM »

oops - she's gone...
PennyO

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2006, 08:24:58 AM »

oops - she's gone...

People come and people go, just like GRAND HOTEL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2006, 08:42:56 AM »

Good morning, all!  The past 16 hours have been a whirlwind of ugly emotions and resentment, and a move.  We are truly in KingLearLand now:  my father in the late 1980s dvided the company he had founded in 1965 between my two brothers.  I had turned down his offers to work for the company and moved to New York in 1979 while my brothers went to work for him.

I'm no Cordelia, but I've always been the one my father came to when my brothers were in conflict, and I have no resentment toward either brother.  I've always loved them both and I'm proud of their accomplishment.  Last night, after my father and I had reconciled over Sunday's disagreement, one of my brothers and his wife decided to let me know how much he resented my father's insistence that his estate, which is fairly large, be divided three ways since most of the estate was generated by a company I had never sweated blood over.  My sister-in-law also turned on my dad to let me know how much of his living expenses in thr past 12 years were covered by the company he no longer owned.  I am still reeling by my brother's insistence that I am entitled to nothing of my father's estate, and boggled that such anger and resentment exists within them.  

My father, since then, has removed himself from their house and care anfd is now moving into the home of my brother and sister-in-law where I am a houseguest.  Except for the knights, it sounds like Lear to me.

Today, I will make an effort to restore peace between my brother and me.  I'm sure he'll claim it was too many beers and too much stress.  I will accept his apology and return to New York to lick my wounds.

Oy!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2006, 08:53:40 AM »

DR Elmore - { :-*}
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2006, 08:56:45 AM »

DR Elmore, family can be incredibly loving and incredibly trying. I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much of the latter. Kudos to your patience and fortitude.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2006, 08:57:46 AM »

For those interested, I just read that the new DVD transfer of DOUBLE INDEMNITY comes out in Agust, so just a month or so more to wait for it.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2006, 08:58:23 AM »

Heading down now to start on lunch.

WBBL.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2006, 08:58:41 AM »

DR Elmore, family can be incredibly loving and incredibly trying. I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much of the latter. Kudos to your patience and fortitude.

Aren't Patience and Fortitude the names of the lions that recline on either side of the grand entrance to New York Public Library at 5th Avenue and 42nd Street?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2006, 09:03:54 AM »

I engaged in a little PTYALISM in the dentist's chair the other day.  The technician said it was perfectly normal.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2006, 09:05:59 AM »

PennyO, Jeanne didn't go to our school - she lived in Culver City.  Neither of us remember how we met but we met in the Summer of '62 because she has something that says we saw The Miracle Worker (the film) in July of that year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2006, 09:06:13 AM »

Oh, and I'm up, I'm up.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2006, 09:09:27 AM »

TOD:

The brilliantly produced A&E series "Nero Wolfe":

Maury Chaykin, as Nero Wolfe, and Timothy Hutton, as Archie Goodwin (and producer).

der Brucer (who has devoured every Nero Wolfe Rex Stout wrote!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2006, 09:11:20 AM »

TOD:

The brilliantly produced A&E series "Nero Wolfe":

Maury Chaykin, as Nero Wolfe, and Timothy Hutton, as Archie Goodwin (and producer).

der Brucer (who has devoured every Nero Wolfe Rex Stout wrote!)

Oh, thanks for reminding me.  It's a favorite in our household, too.

FJL

« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2006, 09:24:10 AM »

Interesting that the very (to say the least) controversial new number written by the Welches for the TV version of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS was nominated for an Emmy for music and lyrics.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2006, 09:30:48 AM »

Elmore - I'm confused about something from an ethical perspective.  While your brothers were sweating over the business, weren't they being properly compensated for their work and living financially secure lives because of the business?  I'm confused by their resentment over your father's wishes to divide his estate three ways.  You gave up the security in order to pursue a much more risky career, but they did get a certain amount of security for their hard work.   Or am I misunderstanding something here?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2006, 09:36:26 AM »

Elmore - I'm confused about something from an ethical perspective.  While your brothers were sweating over the business, weren't they being properly compensated for their work and living financially secure lives because of the business?  I'm confused by their resentment over your father's wishes to divide his estate three ways.  You gave up the security in order to pursue a much more risky career, but they did get a certain amount of security for their hard work.   Or am I misunderstanding something here?

There you are!  I imagine they thought DRELMORE was living on Easy Street in the Millionaire's Hotel in NYC living the glamourous Theatre Life....  8)
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2006, 09:37:11 AM »

Interesting that the very (to say the least) controversial new number written by the Welches for the TV version of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS was nominated for an Emmy for music and lyrics.

I am aghast that that AWFUL thing that purported to be ONCE UPON A MATTRESS was broadcast let alone NOMINATED for an award.  :P

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2006, 09:37:28 AM »

Great pictures of the MINI WEST COAST HHW gathering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2006, 09:37:42 AM »

What songs are on the DINO lp?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2006, 09:43:35 AM »

Oh, thanks for reminding me.  It's a favorite in our household, too.
And it so happens, the new 8-disk MegaSet (Both seasons) is on sale at DVD Planet for under $60.00 and free shipping!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2006, 09:49:35 AM »

And it so happens, the new 8-disk MegaSet (Both seasons) is on sale at DVD Planet for under $60.00 and free shipping!

der Brucer

Hmmm, is it too early to start Christmas shopping?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2006, 09:54:27 AM »

The fact is that Elmore's Father's estate is HIS estate. Whether that estate was largely derived from his business or not is irrelevant. One assumes that whatever came from the business that enlarged his estate, he was entitled to, those were the business arrangements, and that whatever he has earned from what was his original business the sons have no propriety claim on just because they now run the business.  The business may no longer be his, but his estate belongs to him.  He can divide his own private monies and property anyway he sees fit.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2006, 09:57:27 AM »

Great pictures, BK!  More, please! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2006, 09:57:47 AM »

And now, to work.  But first...
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up