Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YE NEWE NOTES  (Read 49218 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:YE NEWE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2006, 09:58:14 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]PAGE THREE DANCE!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2006, 10:17:06 AM »

Elmore - I'm confused about something from an ethical perspective.  While your brothers were sweating over the business, weren't they being properly compensated for their work and living financially secure lives because of the business?  I'm confused by their resentment over your father's wishes to divide his estate three ways.  You gave up the security in order to pursue a much more risky career, but they did get a certain amount of security for their hard work.   Or am I misunderstanding something here?

DR FJL, I even reminded my brother that if I had stayed, he'd have 33% instead of 50% of a company now.  He's resenting what he feels is a third of an estate his company helped build up going to a nonpartisan, no matter how my father feels.  I never saw the blow coming, but when my grandmother died in 1962 with an estate of only $10,000, the seven children were in two factions over who deserved the most.  It's totally ridiculous what the promise of impending money can do, and I refuse to play into it.  If my dad were to decide tomorrow to leave it to his lady friend or his coffee buddies, I wouldn't mind:  it's his to hand out as he wishes.  That will not be the case, but if it would let my brother sleep easier, I'd be all for it.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 10:19:00 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2006, 10:17:16 AM »

I'm at work...and will be having my annual evaluation today! :o I always hate them, even though they're ususally good. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »

The fact is that Elmore's Father's estate is HIS estate. Whether that estate was largely derived from his business or not is irrelevant. One assumes that whatever came from the business that enlarged his estate, he was entitled to, those were the business arrangements, and that whatever he has earned from what was his original business the sons have no propriety claim on just because they now run the business.  The business may no longer be his, but his estate belongs to him.  He can divide his own private monies and property anyway he sees fit.

Yup!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2006, 10:20:44 AM »

I'm at work...and will be having my annual evaluation today! :o I always hate them, even though they're ususally good. :)

Of course, it will be fine, DR George, but I'm sending my best library vibes anyway.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2006, 10:21:24 AM »

Money tore apart my mother's family as well.  There are still brothers and sisters NOT speaking.

Kind of makes it hard on the cousins, doncha know.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2006, 10:21:48 AM »

Evaluation vibes to DR GEORGE!

FJL

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2006, 10:24:56 AM »

Vibes to George!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2006, 10:29:35 AM »

Back from a nice jog, and a full-length one at that.  My helper will be here at eleven or thereabouts.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2006, 10:45:53 AM »

Re estates: I was very fortunate that my sister and I agreed on everything. When we compared notes, Mom had told us both the same things. We were united when we went to the funeral home, and, try as he may, the funeral director could not sway us.

DR Elmore, as uncomfortable as it may seem, you should get your father to state his burial wishes so all the children hear it. Sounds like your family will squabble over it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2006, 10:51:29 AM »

The cabinets are not all finished yet, but the drawers are:

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2006, 10:54:49 AM »

There was absolutely NO grief over the $$$ when my parents died - we had all promised them that the Family would stay intact, no matter what. No squabbling over their bones. Nobody saying - "It isn't FAIR!!" We promised to honor them with our own harmony, after their deaths. Their legacy is a strong family, sticking together and helping each other - that's what they wanted, that's what they got.

Elmore, I wish that for your family.

hey - about the Tacoma meeting on July 9 - I'm afraid I must bow out - gotta leave right now for LA again (I spend my life in that car...) - gotta get to San Antonio early next week to drive the motorhome back for my brother's son... sorry to miss out on the lunch at Anthony's - at some point, we'll all meet up.

Packing up the computer now - more tomorrow or the next day. Laters, gators.
PennyO

George

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2006, 10:56:41 AM »

Thanks for the evaluation vibes!!

George

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »

Penny...darn. :(

Otherwise, have a safe trip!! ;D

MBarnum

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2006, 11:02:26 AM »

Nice drawers DearReaderLaura!

MBarnum

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2006, 11:04:28 AM »

I hope to have a car soon. The insurance company let me know that the car was a total loss and they would let me know soon what kind of reimbursment I would get.

It would be very nice to get thing taken care of this weekend. I know Bosco would enjoy it, as he is not allowed in the rental car.  :(   He keeps running up to it to go for a ride, but alas that is not likely to happen.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 11:05:06 AM by MBarnum »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2006, 11:05:47 AM »

DR Elmore, as uncomfortable as it may seem, you should get your father to state his burial wishes so all the children hear it. Sounds like your family will squabble over it.

That's great advice.  Thanks.  as soon as we're all comfortable being in the same room, I'll bring it up.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2006, 11:09:05 AM »

There was absolutely NO grief over the $$$ when my parents died - we had all promised them that the Family would stay intact, no matter what. No squabbling over their bones. Nobody saying - "It isn't FAIR!!" We promised to honor them with our own harmony, after their deaths. Their legacy is a strong family, sticking together and helping each other - that's what they wanted, that's what they got.

Elmore, I wish that for your family.

Thanks, DR PenyO!  I thought we were all together before this blowup occurred.   That's what so amazes me over last night's events.  I do suspect that my sister-in-law has a touch of Lady Macbeth, and my brother and sister-in-law with whom I'm staying feels she was behind last night's events.  Who knows?

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2006, 11:30:05 AM »

Some excitement here at work - a (planned) fire drill.  It's so beautiful outside, no one wanted to come back in  8)

Oh, and I found out that the goons are installing the new phone system.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2006, 11:53:50 AM »

Is this a rejected screenplay?

POWER-SAW!

NYC Subway Rider Critically Injured in Power-Saw Attack

Thursday , July 06, 2006

NEW YORK  — A man grabbed two cordless power saws off a subway station workbench and went on a rampage Thursday, swinging the saws at riders and slicing open a man's chest before running away, police said.

The 64-year-old victim, whose name was not released, was hospitalized in critical but stable condition. Police were searching for the suspect, described by witnesses as a thin man in his 30s, who had earrings in both ears and was possibly carrying a teddy bear.

The attack occurred before dawn at a subway station a few blocks south of Columbia University.

Wielding a saw in each hand, the man took a swipe at one rider on a platform and missed, police said. Moments later, he cut into the man's chest at a turnstile before bolting out of the station, still carrying the power tools, which were later found in a trash can.

But what happened to Teddy?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #80 on: July 06, 2006, 11:58:03 AM »

Time to retrieve Woody from the clutches of the Super G and return him home where he will no doubt stare out the window, exhibiting an acute attack of PTYALISM, as he awaits the UPS guy with the Dr. Who DVD!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 06, 2006, 12:48:16 PM »

Nice drawers DearReaderLaura!

I'll bet she's not the first person you've said that to.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2006, 01:18:09 PM »

Watched some fun things this afternoon.

I started with TWO TICKETS TO BROADWAY which I had never seen before.

I'm just guessing, but I think Howard Hughes must have seen the MGM musicals and decided he wanted to make one of those at his studio. So, he borrowed a passle of MGM talent including four of the top billed stars (Tony Martin, Janet Leigh, Gloria DeHaven, and Ann Miller), also Busby Berkeley to do the dance numbers, and then hired Jule Styne and Sammy Cahn for the new songs, Technicolor, and viola, he had a musical.

Except, the movie lost $1.1 million after it was released.

To give it its due, the songs are delightful, and I've never seen Tony Martin dance (really!) in a movie, and he's not bad at all partnering Janet Leigh. I would have thought he had two left feet, but he doesn't at all. Of course, he's about 10 years too old for the part he's playing, but he's still in great voice. Bob Crosby has a funny number complaining about his "rivalry" with brother Bing, and there's an acrobatic troupe that does some remarkable aerial and tumbling tricks.

Negatively, Eddie Bracken wears out his welcome fast, and Smith and Dale's comedy shtick is pretty old hat, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2006, 01:22:25 PM »

Then, I watched HERE COMES MR. JORDAN off one of the HBO or Showtime channels. Always an enjoyable fantasy comedy. I know it's available on DVD, and I don't know why I've never picked it up.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2006, 01:23:09 PM »

Thank you, Hainesians, for your kind words about my photo from long ago. FYI, neither bk nor I can recall where we met. We have been trying to piece together a timeline for those years. Some memories are as clear and fresh as if they were yesterday; others have simply vanished! Oh, well, it has been 40 years!

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2006, 01:25:07 PM »

Finished off the afternoon watching a few more ANDY GRIFFITH SHOWs off the second season DVD set. One of my favorites featured Will Wright as stingy old Ben Miller not wanting traveling salesman Sterling Holloway to take away any of his business.

Also enjoyed the one with Aunt Bea supervising town drunk Otis' rehabilitation turning the family home into "The Rock," a maximum security prison. Very funny.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2006, 01:25:44 PM »

Welcome to the family, DR Jeanne.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »

Thank you, Hainesians, for your kind words about my photo from long ago. FYI, neither bk nor I can recall where we met. We have been trying to piece together a timeline for those years. Some memories are as clear and fresh as if they were yesterday; others have simply vanished! Oh, well, it has been 40 years!

I can empathize with bk's remarks over not remembering when certain pictures were taken. A photo I posted here a few months ago featured the male principals from a 1982 version of SHENANDOAH that I was a part of, and I had NO memory of that photograph ever having been taken even though it was definitely a posed shot and not taken from any moment on-stage.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: July 06, 2006, 01:42:32 PM »

DR Elmore:

Since your father has felt it necessary to withdraw from the angry son's house into another, it might be wise for "someone" to suggest to the angry son that your father might think to divide his property 50-50, cutting out the angry son altogether.

I'll bet 33 1/3% of something would seem much better to him than nothing whatsoever.

It's truly sad when some "heirs" presume to believe they're more entitled than others, despite the wishes of the person they've inherited from.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 01:47:13 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: July 06, 2006, 02:31:22 PM »

I justed noted something interesting.

Neither of last year's winners for Best Dramatic Actor or Actress (James Spader in BOSTON LEGAL and Patricia Arquette in MEDIUM) were even nominated this year in those categories. Neither were previous winners James Gandolfini and Edie Falco for THE SOPRANOS nor Felicity Huffman for DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES.

Hugh Laurie wasn't nominated for HOUSE despite the show getting a nomination.

The new Emmy nomination system certainly threw a few logs onto the fire!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up