Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: LIFE IS A CABARET  (Read 67421 times)

Ben

Re:LIFE IS A CABARET
« Reply #90 on: July 14, 2006, 12:41:43 PM »

Ah, the old Summer Hours trick. We used to have that at the Foundation Center but they decided it was too much work and not worth the good will created by the employees. You had to choose Monday or Friday and then you worked extra hours 4 days a week and got off either  Monday or Friday. Once you chose your day it couldn't be changed but who cared? You got a three day weekend in the summer. It went from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Ah, me. Do I sound like some old man sitting on a front porch sipping lemonade and babbling???

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2006, 01:20:38 PM »

PennyO has come and gone and heard the two new songs, which she professed to like a lot.  I think there's just one more to go - a runner - a little thing that will be used several times during the evening.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2006, 01:23:49 PM »

Heard from Matt Ashford who won't be doing the Hollywood Collector's Show on Sunday - family emergency.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2006, 01:36:22 PM »

Thanks for the info on appendicitis, DR Elmore. The flutters have stopped but it's still tender "down there." I suppose it could be kidney stones though when I've had those attacks, it seems to start in the stomach area and then move to whichever side the stone is trying to move through. At any rate, whatever was there sin't bothering me now and hasn't for several hours.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #94 on: July 14, 2006, 01:38:13 PM »

I watched three items this afternoon.

I started with last night's PEE-WEE'S PLAYHOUSE. More enjoyable than the night before with fun things like Pee-Wee doing a magic act and making himself disappear, and showing how to fix a salad bar. Descriptions of the various veggies were funny: "Oh, this looks like a brain; it's cauliflower."

Matt H.

« Reply #95 on: July 14, 2006, 01:42:09 PM »

Then I watched LADY IN CEMENT. This is another of Sinatra's Tony Rome detective films, and the lesser of the two he did. The mystery is a mess, and even though there are certainly interesting folks in the supporting cast (Dan Blocker, Raquel Welch, Richard Conte, Lanie Kazan weighing about half of what she does now), it's very 1960s, and not in the good way. Lots of homophobia in this (not present in TONY ROME or in THE DETECTIVE where Sinatra plays a liberal cop rather than a jerky P.I.), and I just never believed the two-fisted Sinatra persona. Knock RIchard Conte out with one punch? I don't think so.

Matt H.

« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2006, 01:45:20 PM »

Finished the afternoon with GOOD NEWS. I've been wanting to revisit it for a few weeks, and I had the time this afternoon to do so. The old DVD transfer still looks quite marvelous. I think Peter Lawford is gorgeous in this movie, but he's not very believable as a star quarterback. Would Van Johnson (originally cast) have been better? He certainly would have been a better singer!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2006, 01:45:21 PM »

I am having a so so kind of day.  But Rodzinski just called and is on his way home from work (summer fridays) so things are looking up.

When he gets home, tell him you have a migraine! :o ;)

;D

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 01:54:41 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2006, 01:46:51 PM »

Thanks for the pics last night, DR MBarnum. The beefcake was just what the doctor ordered when I saw them this morning!  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2006, 01:57:55 PM »

Thanks for the info on appendicitis, DR Elmore. The flutters have stopped but it's still tender "down there." I suppose it could be kidney stones though when I've had those attacks, it seems to start in the stomach area and then move to whichever side the stone is trying to move through. At any rate, whatever was there sin't bothering me now and hasn't for several hours.

This is not something you should take lightly, though.  If the tenderness persists, you probably should get medical attention.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: July 14, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »

The Ten Questions With Matthew Ashford interview is up at www.kritzerland.com.  Check it out.  Just click on the Kritzerland Interviews icon on the left menu bar.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #101 on: July 14, 2006, 02:18:54 PM »

When he gets home, tell him you have a migraine! :o ;)

;D

Hee hee.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #102 on: July 14, 2006, 02:20:18 PM »

Soon I shall leave to meet some friends for dinner and a movie.  We are going to see A Scanner Darkly.  

I still have yet to see any of the big summer blockbusters: Superman, XMen, or Pirates.  Maybe I'll catch some this weekend.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #103 on: July 14, 2006, 02:20:57 PM »

Walty also seems to be developing more of an appetite (for Killbot's food and not his own high fiber food) so that is encouraging as well.

Ginny

« Reply #104 on: July 14, 2006, 02:24:16 PM »

Almost time to go home  ;D

I have to work tomorrow  >:(

Bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #105 on: July 14, 2006, 02:32:29 PM »

It is hot. That is all.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Tomovoz

« Reply #106 on: July 14, 2006, 02:55:36 PM »

I've just been doing some catching up.

WOW!  The Jose News.

Beadle deedle deedle deedle deedle dumpling
Beadle dumpling, Be-deedle dumpling . . .

And why should you weep then, my jo (jo),   my jing
Ohh
Your father's at tea with the Swedish King
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 02:58:01 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2006, 02:55:44 PM »

This is not something you should take lightly, though.  If the tenderness persists, you probably should get medical attention.

Thanks. Of course I would if it persists. I'm at the age where things can go wrong with disastrous consequences!  :-\

Matt H.

« Reply #108 on: July 14, 2006, 02:56:42 PM »

And now, off to mop the kitchen floor and then settle in with, probably THE BLACK SWAN.

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: July 14, 2006, 03:27:02 PM »

I will be careful.

It must be difficult to be the one to defend these guys when they are finally caught.

I haven't had a serial killer, but I have had murder cases and have defended a lot of child sex cases.  It isn't as hard as you would think. You see,  I really believe that you have to make sure the most despised in our society do not have their constitutional rights trampled on and that includes the right to a zealous defense.  Once you say "Oh but he's a really bad guy he shot people, he shouldn't have any rights - he did it - shoot him now and save the tax payers money"  it's not a very big step to no one having rights.  (Not that we have a lot right now anyway, but it's still slightly more than a quaint notion).  

Plus, I believe that innocent people are convicted the most often in emotionally charged cases. Someone has to pay for the horrendous crime and people are often quick to say the police are right.  The emotionally charged cases are the easiest for the police to cut corners.   They have a lot of pressure to solve the case as fast as possible. Sometimes the "i"s aren't dotted and the "t"s aren't crossed, but they say they have their man and everyone is happy.  

Do you remember the murder of the Buddhist monks in Phoenix years ago? They arrested a bunch of kids, questioned them for something like 36 hours straight and finally got them to confess. The only physical evidence they had was a cheap buddha at one of their houses.  Well, it wasn't long until they found out the kids had nothing to do with it and they had to release them. They had the real culprits, but the case was undoubtedly a mess...I believe it was due to the pressure to solve it VERY fast. So not only did they possibly ruin the innocent kids' lives (which could have led to the death penalty) but possibly made it harder to prove the case against the real killer. In many cases like that the real killer gets away to kill another day

Enough....I'm climbing off the soapbox. You caught me on a day when I'm liking being a defense lawyer   ;D
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:46:06 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #110 on: July 14, 2006, 03:35:37 PM »

Just in case, maybe you better have some ice cream (a reference to last night's discussion)!
;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2006, 03:39:14 PM »

According to the Web page, it's "Fargo meets The Music Man (without the blood or the trombones)"

Don't Hug Me

I'm a Walleye Woman in a Crappie town. Boy to I know that feeling ;)

Cillaliz

« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2006, 03:43:52 PM »

Jose, sounds like a wonderful time today - nerves and all. It's so cool to know you and hear of your continued adventures

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2006, 03:44:39 PM »

Jose, sounds like a wonderful time today - nerves and all. It's so cool to know you and hear of your continued adventures

<blush>

:-*
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2006, 03:44:44 PM »

RE summer hours:  The director of the campus where I worked had the brilliant idea to put us on a 4-day work week and turn off the AC from 9pm Thursday until Monday morning.  Even though the local power company told him that it was saving the university NO money, we kept it up several summers in a row.   The buildings got so hot that the AC was burned out and they had to replace the whole system eventually.  I thought working those longer 4 days was the hard way to earn a 3-day weekend!

My schedule now is pretty nice, because my weeks alternate Monday-Friday and Tuesday-Saturday, making every other weekend 3 days.  Of course, the opposite ones are 1-day.  Oh, well, one of my philosophies is "Everything's a trade-off!"
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2006, 03:50:47 PM »

Well, better go check on the little one.   I'm thinking we'll try a little extended time together this weekend.  They are getting better and better around each other in little doses and they spend lots of time on opposite sides of the door.  We're getting there!!!! YEAH!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2006, 03:52:07 PM »

So, Jose, after your eventful morning, did you have a relaxing lunch?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2006, 03:53:02 PM »

I'm a Walleye Woman in a Crappie town. Boy to I know that feeling ;)

I'm a waffle person in a scrapple town!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2006, 03:54:40 PM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC.  I shall, of course, have a full report upon my returning.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: July 14, 2006, 03:55:19 PM »

I shall now be on my way to LACC.  I shall, of course, have a full report upon my returning.

Give Susan my love!!!!!!!!

I emailed her earlier.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up