Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DIVOON  (Read 57076 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:DIVOON
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2006, 09:43:51 AM »

Warmish night that finally cooled nicely down around 3 a.m.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2006, 09:46:16 AM »

Our high yesterday was 84.  Today, it's supposed to be around 77.

I cannot tell you how glad I am to be living near San Francisco Bay (can see it from my balcony, I can).  We can have hot days, to be sure.

But this heat wave nationwide is fearsome!  Within 25 miles of where I live, the temperature was 106 yesterday.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2006, 09:50:02 AM »

~ ~ ~ ~ ~  VIBES OF HEALTH AND PEACE FOR DR DAKOTACELT AND HER FATHER  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2006, 09:56:47 AM »

It's hot as hell
In Philadel-
Phia!

Actually, I don't think it's been as horrendously hot the past two day as we were led to believe it was going to be.  Once again, the weathermen hype it up to the max.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 09:57:07 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2006, 09:58:51 AM »

WING OF EXPECTATION is actually the name of an opera about Abraham Lincoln.  Apparently far from the greatest opera from all reports I've ever heard about it.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2006, 10:02:11 AM »

Some of you are getting Arizona July/August weather. The difference is we are prepared for it because it comes every year.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 10:28:01 AM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: July 18, 2006, 10:03:28 AM »

Rodzinski, I agree wholehearted.  Kurt Russell's performance as Elvis was terrific!

LOL! When I started reading your post I thought you were going to agree with him regarding Diane Franklin!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2006, 10:17:03 AM »

MBarnum, at a drugstore the other day, there was what looked like a Bollywood DVD that seemed kind of like Gulliver and the Little People. It involved a giant in some way, and some shrunken folks. I thought you might dig it as it combines two of your favorites: Bollywood and shrunken people.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2006, 10:21:23 AM »

BK, here is a website of Diane Franklin...she had a fair career back in the 80s..quite a cutie...and just sooooo evil in SUMMER GIRL! Alas it is not on DVD or even VHS.

http://www.dianefranklin.com/

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2006, 10:22:25 AM »

MBarnum, at a drugstore the other day, there was what looked like a Bollywood DVD that seemed kind of like Gulliver and the Little People. It involved a giant in some way, and some shrunken folks. I thought you might dig it as it combines two of your favorites: Bollywood and shrunken people.

It certainly sounds interesting! Do you recall the title? I must know more!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2006, 10:31:31 AM »

TOD:

Cicely Tyson -- "The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman"

Aidan Quinn & Gena Rowlands -- "An Early Frost"

Richard Crenna -- "The Rape of Richard Beck"

Francesca Annis -- "Lily"

Juliet Stevenson -- "The Politician's Wife"

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2006, 10:33:26 AM »

Some of you are getting Arizona July/August weather. The difference is we are prepared for it because it comes every year.

Preparing for it is not our problem.  Our problem is power grids that overload and require brownouts.

California, for all its wealth and resources, is still lagging when it comes to generating sufficient electricity for such things.

Ben

« Reply #72 on: July 18, 2006, 10:39:01 AM »

I had a productive apres lunch hour (meaning I spent some money - Damn You Bruce Kimmel, Damn You to Hell  ;))

After lunch I wandered over to Academy and lo and behold what was in the Compilation section of Original Cast Recordings but an out-of-print (at least according to the sticker placed on the CD by Academy) but Shakespeare on Broadway, a 1996 issue by that rounder, Mr. Kimmel. What you come across when you least expect it. I shall listen to the CD this afternoon  :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2006, 10:50:30 AM »

Have been reading my new issue of SCARLET STREET which arrived today!

Yes, there is an interview with Mr Kenny Miller by DR MBARNUM, an interview with DR FJL & SKIP by MR BK himself, and a DVD review by yours truly (who is also the subject of a letter to the editor)....and an interview with a former DR and another one with her father.

Most enjoyable!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2006, 11:16:15 AM »

And yet Diane Franklin was also most lovable in BETTER OFF DEAD and TERRORVISION (with Gerrit Graham).

And yet quite detestable in THE LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2006, 11:17:32 AM »

Don't remember the name, MBarnum. I meant to. But it is at the Duane Reade near Jose's place, where TPunk, my sis and I shopped after brunch on Sunday. Perhaps Jose could be so kind as to walk over and look for the title.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2006, 11:30:40 AM »

Have been reading my new issue of SCARLET STREET which arrived today!

Yes, there is an interview with Mr Kenny Miller by DR MBARNUM, an interview with DR FJL & SKIP by MR BK himself, and a DVD review by yours truly (who is also the subject of a letter to the editor)....and an interview with a former DR and another one with her father.

Most enjoyable!

I hope that someday my issue will arrive ...along with a check or two from the magazine.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2006, 11:31:43 AM »

Don't remember the name, MBarnum. I meant to. But it is at the Duane Reade near Jose's place, where TPunk, my sis and I shopped after brunch on Sunday. Perhaps Jose could be so kind as to walk over and look for the title.

That would be very nice of him to do so.....!!!!  ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2006, 01:02:55 PM »

I'm back from an early lunch....went to our "Big Apple Deli" down 14th Street in beautiful Oakland.  Had a Reuben on rye, potato salad and iced tea.

Very scrumptious.  Bought a wedge of baklava for later in the afternoon.

Weather was clear, breezy, cool -- gorgeous.  All of 25 minutes ago, that is.

Now it's clouding up...and it may be that we are going to get those thunderstorm opportunities our CBS weatherman hinted at last night.

It would be most unusual...and I hope it happens.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 01:03:13 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2006, 01:04:18 PM »

I've considered subscribing to "Scarlet Street", but then I'm still waiting for the next issue in my "After Dark subscription.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2006, 01:20:46 PM »

It is so hot it's hard to breathe outside. I don't know how folks who have to work outdoors can stand this.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2006, 01:25:40 PM »

I enjoyed several video offerings this afternoon. While I prepared lunch, I watched a CSI episode from Season 5, this one concerning the murder of a transgendered person. Very sad story and one of the more graphic CSI episodes ever filmed.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2006, 01:27:09 PM »

Next I watched last night's MEDIUM rerun. This was the one with Allison's brother from this season. I had totally forgotten how the story resolved itself and ended up trying to figure it out just as if I had never seen it before. Very interesting hour.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2006, 01:28:12 PM »

Next came LOVESPRING INTERNATIONAL with a mixer with their clients and potential clients. There were some intermittant chuckles, but I thought more could have been done with some of the funny characters.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2006, 01:29:18 PM »

Next I watched one of the Chaplin Mutual comedies: THE PAWN SHOP. I pretty much laughed from beginning to end. I'm not sure I had ever watched this completely, but in any event, it was very funny slapstick.

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2006, 01:33:16 PM »

Finished the afternoon with PLEASE DON'T EAT THE DAISIES. Good enhanced transfer with strong Metrocolor and sharp images (except in Miss Day's close-ups, of course).

It always makes me a little mad when people made fun of Doris Day being a "professional virgin" forgetting that during those years that she made romantic comedies as a single woman, she was also playing wives or widows in movies like IT HAPPENED TO JANE, DAISIES, THE THRILL OF IT ALL, SEND ME NO FLOWERS, and MOVE OVER DARLING. I think she mixed her roles very well. People's memories can be very convenient.

Matt H.

« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2006, 01:43:18 PM »

I'm so very sorry about your news, DR DakotaCelt. I shall be thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2006, 02:17:19 PM »

Jane, thanks so much for the warm welcome. As a newbie I'm still getting acquainted with all of you. I understand that you and I have a special connection. For all the word-lovers, is there a word (we can make up a word) for two Real People who are united in a fictional character?

Sorry, I only vaguely recall a Currie's Mile High Ice Cream spot in Palms. You went to Hami?

Seems we do have a special connection :), yet I don't believe we ever met.  

Penny & I were in the same class at Hamilton, I believe a semester behind you.  I went to Palms Jr High, I expect not too far from you.  And my maiden name was Wagner ;D.

You can see what I looked like in high school as my avatar was taken when we were seventeen.  The we also refers to my husband Keith whom I met the same day as Penny.  I believe I met Bruce the next day.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2006, 02:22:44 PM »

My living room is calling out to be cleaned, so away I go!

At this point, I don't know what I'll be watching on DVD tonight.

EUREKA premeires tonight on the Sci-Fi channel, but as it's two hours, I'll record it so I can zip through commercials and see it in a shorter time tomorrow. There's a new RESCUE ME tonight which I'll watch "live."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2006, 02:23:41 PM »

DakotaCelt, thank you for the story on Carrie Nye.  I think she must have been a fun person to know.

I’m very sorry about your father.  It isn’t easy..  Good vibes and thoughts to you and your family in the days to come.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up