Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE "G" WORD  (Read 62074 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE "G" WORD
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:33:31 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you haven't googled the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home - they're MOOgling right now.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 12:20:50 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE "G" WORD
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 12:34:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: MORDACIOUS!

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:17:52 AM »

Many thanks from Derek's family and friends for your thought everyone.

I've been more than a little pre-occupied with my own thoughts this week.  It would have been my Mother's birthday today.

Knowing that "no-one is alone" is a great comfort.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:19:03 AM »

The best of healing and comforting vibes to all those in need.  Magnus & Fosca send special comfort to Angel and her family.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 01:21:52 AM »

A Party was held in honour of Derek.  Cake was enjoyed. Derek would have asked for Cream with his slice!
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 04:14:42 AM »

Good morning, all!  At 8:30, I have to be at my doctor's office for some lab work, so I'm puttering around the place until then.  Then I'm off to Fourteenth Street for a bit of edts.[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~VIBES FOR OUR DR TCB'S ANGEL~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/size][/move]

TOD:

Most interesting find on the internet:  Glen MacDonough's 1904 novelization of BABES IN TOYLAND, which I never knew existed.

Most embarassing:  wait for the bio.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 04:25:40 AM »

And the word of the day is: MORDACIOUS!
Lenny, the artist, was known for letting his emotions rule in his masterpieces.  For example, when he was in a MORDACIOUS mood, he composed a DOUR MOSAIC about ICARUS' DOOM.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:27:08 AM »

"G" mornin', Elmore!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:30:13 AM »

I'm not much of a Google-er.  When I google, I'm usually looking for a website for a particular company, product, store, or such.

I'm much more likely to use Wikipedia for my more ordinary researches.  Yeah, I know they're not always accurate, but the hyperlinks let me go off on tangents like crazy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 05:03:42 AM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 05:15:53 AM »

good morning all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 05:18:20 AM »

TOD
I was looking for a happy birthday logo to post on a friends myspace site and I saw one that looked interesting. I clicked on it and it took me to a "white power" website. That's never happened to me before.
Never stop dreaming.

FJL

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 05:53:24 AM »

The most interesting thing I found while googling is this here site.  

Most "embarrassing" thing I've found while googling is that a legal action I had brought against a former employer oh so many years ago was for a while right there in a write-up on a google-able website.  It doesn't seem to be there at this point, though.  

Cillaliz

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 06:05:38 AM »

Good monring all

Cillaliz

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 06:06:22 AM »

I google a lot and it is very addictive. At times Paul has to call me and say "STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER....."

Cillaliz

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 06:09:33 AM »

I've found all sorts of interesting things.  Of course there was the initial surprise at the number of people who share my first and last names. I've always wondered if anyone who has googled me (and I know of at least one old friend who found me that way recently) thinks I am a dog trainer, a midwife, was in the movie KIDS or was President of the Black Law Students Association at Columbia. None of those are true.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 06:21:23 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... because I had to move my car.  And in a little over an hour, I shall be moving it back.

However, I did want to get up "early", so that was all part of the plan.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 06:25:10 AM »

As for Google-ing...  I will occasionally get on a Google jag, and just start Google-ing away.  My name.  My brothers name.  Classmates from high school.  Classmates from college.  Song titles.  Book titles.  Etc., etc., etc.

And I'm just amazed the speed of the searches and the number of results.  We've come a long way from microfiche and a pencil and paper.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2006, 06:29:19 AM »

Most interesting I've found... That there is at least one more person with mine - and my father's name in Arlington, VA, which is where I grew up.  And that neither of my parents had met him, nor his family.  And our family name is not exactly a common one in the Philippines either.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2006, 06:32:51 AM »

Ohhhh.... The latest "auf'd one" from "Project Runway" will be on during the last half hour of "The Today Show"... Now this should be interesting.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 06:36:16 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  I'm working just half a day today, 9am-1pm, then going home to get ready for my book group to meet at our house tonight.  Upon DH Richard's recommendation, we've read Dorothy L. Sayers' Gaudy Night, and he will join us to keep the ladies from doing to me what someone did (in effigy)to a character in the book.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 06:43:29 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  I'm working just half a day today, 9am-1pm, then going home to get ready for my book group to meet at our house tonight.  Upon DH Richard's recommendation, we've read Dorothy L. Sayers' Gaudy Night, and he will join us to keep the ladies from doing to me what someone did (in effigy)to a character in the book.

Hmm... So what kind of "theme"-cookies did you make for this gathering?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 06:45:55 AM »

Ohhhh.... The latest "auf'd one" from "Project Runway" will be on during the last half hour of "The Today Show"... Now this should be interesting.

Jose, Thanks for the tip about seeing the show again. I'll check I-Tunes and the Project Runway website.  I know you can watch the BB episodes online free - jsut not the 24-7 cams

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2006, 06:49:10 AM »

OH!... And they just announced that the rebroadcast of "Project Runway" will take place on Monday night at 8:00(EST) on the parent network, NBC.  -Now, that's interesting too.
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2006, 06:49:41 AM »

"Barney Google, with the goog-goog-googly eyes, Barney Google had a wife three times his size, She sued Barney for divorce, Now he's living with his horse, Oh, Barney Google with the goog-goog-googly eyes!"  Sorry, today's topic set me remininscing on local Cincinnati area TV Host Bob Shreve, from my childhood, who used to sing that song  while he presented Popeye cartoons and Three Stooges shorts (how he got the three stooges' underwear I'll never know).  He was most famous for hosting Shoenling All-Nite Theatre on Saturday nights, brought to you by Shoenling Beer, which showed grade-Z movies, usually starring someone like Rondo Hatton.  He had a great cast of characters...there was Chickie, a rubber chicken.  He used to hold Chickie up and say, "Do you want to see Chickie a little longer?"  At which point, he'd stretch Chickie out as far as he could.  There was a spider on a cord that used to swing into camera range called Spidel.  And whenever he got a letter from someone from Northern Ohio or down in Kentucky, he would hold up a ratty fox fur and say, "And, yes, Friends, that is a fur piece from Cincinnati."
Bob, was a card, he was!   Perhaps my fellow Ohioans, elmore and Ginny recall him.  

I believe Barney Google used to be a fixture in the Snuffy Smith comic in the daily paper.  In fact, I believe it used to be called "Barney Google and Snuffy Smith".  and, yes, Barney did have goog-goog-googly eyes.

I googled my way to this site.   I  love all the BBC links I've googled and subsequently bookmarked.  Also oldies station WMKV...and we're talking Oldies...big band and the classic American songbook.  I love all my googled British theatre sites that keep me abreast of the scene over in the London Theatres.  ABE is the most useful site I've ever googled.  I sometimes google myself just to see if there's anything new about me floating out there.

Worst thing is having googled stuff that has occasionally corrupted my computer, like taking over my home-page. That costs time and money to fix.

Cillaliz

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2006, 06:55:22 AM »

The song I had in my head this morning was the song about the Nash Rambler and the Cadillac "Now they're doing 120 it certainly was a race, for a Rambler to pass a Cadillac would be a big disgrace. Beep, beep. Beep, beep. His horn went beep beep beep"

I have no idea why I was thinking about that one

Cillaliz

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2006, 06:56:22 AM »

I googled my way to this site, too

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2006, 07:06:00 AM »

Hmm... So what kind of "theme"-cookies did you make for this gathering?

;)

LOL, DR Jose!  In the book, the ladies of imaginary Shrewsbury College (Oxford) often gather for sherry and biscuits (cookies).  Yesterday I stopped at Dorothy Lane Market and bought 2 bottles of sweet sherry, 2 of dry, and an assortment of biscuits - Walker's shortbread, etc.  I will try to find a photo of my favorite find.

BTW, if you ever get to the SW Ohio, Dorothy Lane Market is one of the places I'd like you to see.  The other is Jungle Jim's.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 07:08:50 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2006, 07:06:23 AM »

Most interesting Google experience: loaded question, bk, and YOU know the answer!

Then there was the time I was trying to find out if that shop in Key West with the cute cat t-shirts was still around. It was called the Cat House. OOOOOPPSS!!!!

Ginny

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2006, 07:13:10 AM »

TOD - We reference librarians (aka, information waitresses), use Google all the time.  Just now, I used it to find:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up