Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN  (Read 20828 times)

Andrea

Re:THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN
« Reply #150 on: December 12, 2003, 08:06:46 PM »

There was a young lady from Bucharest,
Got thrown into jail on a fluke arrest.
    The Judge said in court,
    "You tart, it's a tort!
For that was the vice squad that you carressed."

I resent any supposed resemblance due to my Romanian heritage.

So there!!!!!

(Hmm.. although I like being a tart!).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2003, 08:11:05 PM »

I love reading all the posts here at HHW - it is like living a couple of dozen other lives!   ;)

DR Kerry that is a GOOD song to be stuck in your head...and I love doing that show....being in it, playing for it, or directing it...I LOVE "Wells Fargo Wagon!"  ;D

And I always thought the gender was reversed in the "Teacher's Pet" title song as well.....led you to believe you were going to see a different sort of movie.  And boy, Mamie VanDoren sure couldn't act OR sing OR dance....she was like Lina Lamont, a real triple threat!  :P

Sorry Ron - hopefully I am leaving the BUG behind.  :-X

DR Ann is going to Hawaii???  Wow!  Don't forget to go see "Drums of the Islands" - it's my favorite thing!  And the volcanoes!  And don't hesitate if one of the dancers hands you a leaf!

TWO TWO TWO copies of Patty's Valley of the Dolls - Mr BK are you attempting to corner a Bull Market on that United Artists release?

Tonight...tonight....I am making a 3 a.m. trip to WalMart for the last bit of buying frenzy.  One trip with my sister - and then one trip with my Mom so they don't see what each other is buying.  

Oh and I got my CAREERS game - I have read the rules and am ready to play when we have family game night next Friday!

Oh and here is an early Christmas Greeting from someone to whom I can sing:

"You are my inspiration....Lucille....."   (A "Pillow Talk" Reference).

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2003, 08:14:36 PM »

Thanks for the theatre wishes Ron, Jed, and MBARNUM.  I will survive...no doubt.  I just hope DR MBARNUM meant "haven't" and not "have" in his post.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2003, 08:25:56 PM »

So, BK, this afternoon the lovely wife, Julieanne, and I are zig-zagging up and down the aisles of Costco on Los Feliz Boulevard in Glendale.  We keep passing this fellow, shopping with an older woman, his mother I suspect, and the first time I see him, I'm pretty sure I know who it is, but  it isn't until about the third aisle that I'm almost postive.  When we cross paths in the meat and produce section, I decide to go up to him.  "Aren't you Harry Groener?"  I ask.  It is indeed Harry Groener and I do a small gushing fan turn with  him...and, of course, name drop, "I was just listening to the CD you did with Twiggy...If Love Were All...produced by my buddy, Bruce Kimmel."  "Ah, Bruce, he's the best!" says Harry.

He was very cordial and I found myself blushing and being a bit "gosh, gee, shucks."  I don't know what it is: but I 've hobnobbed at affairs where  majorly big movie stars were rubbing shoulders with me and was rarely impressed at all (Perhaps, all those years of dinner theatre...when one saw them at their less than spectacular), but real character actors or theatre actors just impress the Hell out of me...I see someone like Michael Gambon on a street in London or Ian McKellan comes into my local bistro in LA and my jaw drops (Of course, McKellan is now a major movie star).  I once met Alfred Molina in the same Costco a few years back and reminded him when he was starring in the musical DESTRY in the West End in 1982, he came into read for the small part of a cabbie in my HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.  I was sort of amazed that a West End lead would deign to come in to read for such a tiny part.

Anyway, I didn't mention my name to Mr. Groener, so if he asks you who might have pestered him at Costco, you can tell him it was me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2003, 08:29:22 PM »

Or tell him it was me - that will really confuse him.

Andrea

« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2003, 08:29:42 PM »

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN was a wonderful lark of a movie. Yep, overlong by fifteen minutes or so, but a hugely enjoyable adventure yarn. I can see why it's been so popular. It's just a good time.

I watched that three times in the theatre. And yes, it was because of Orlando and Johnny.

SWOON................

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2003, 09:17:27 PM »

Andrea--Yes, Johnny and Orlando are exceedingly swoon-worthy...but especially Johnny.  He so owned that movie.

Charles Pogue--loved your Harry Groener story!

BK--how is the movie version of Bonjour Tristesse?  I read the novel a few months ago...hard to believe that Françoise Sagan was younger than I am now when she wrote it!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2003, 09:27:10 PM »

I don't know how it compares to the novel, but I'm really partial to Bonjour Tristesse the film.  REALLY partial.

Groener is aces - a total pro and a total pleasure to work with.  There was a time when he was on more albums of mine than anyone else.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2003, 09:30:52 PM »

Thanks, BK!  I'll have to check it out!

G'night everybody!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2003, 09:33:08 PM »

What is that Jean Seberg DVD?  Is it a documentary or whut?  The pride of Marshalltown Illinois had some tough going - and I still think that Faye Dunaway in MOMMIE DEAREST looked a LOT like Jean Seberg in AIRPORT!

I almost forgot a movie song, that as far as I know never came near an Oscar....but that is "Through the Eyes of Love" from a wacky ice skating movie named ICE CASTLES!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2003, 09:46:35 PM »

I have ROMANTIC COMEDY playing in the background as I do things around the house. Is it possible to write a decent film/play about writers? It's certainly not this one.

Panni

« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2003, 09:51:01 PM »

I just noticed I've graduated to Jr. Member! Makes me feel very young and sweet. (Being a Newbie made me feel like a slimy fish... or a bug. So this is a definite improvement.)

Panni

« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2003, 09:51:38 PM »

What is it, slimy fish?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: December 12, 2003, 09:58:44 PM »

I'm watching the Jean Seberg DVD and I can't tell you what it is.  I guess I'll have to wait until the end credits to see exactly what I'm seeing.  It's Mary Beth Hurt as Jean, but it's a documentary, but she's reading from "journals" but it's hard to know if the journals are written by Jean or made up.  Lots of clips, though.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #164 on: December 12, 2003, 10:12:05 PM »

Good evening.

Good show tonight, and a great talk-back afterwards.  It was a "mixed" group tonight.  There were a group of high schoolers, and some of the subscribers that are part of the "It's An Alternative" night subscription series (for gay and lesbian theatregoers).  -Around the green room, "Alternative Night" = "Date Night".  ;)

We had some wonderful questions from everyone.  In particular, there was one young man who brought up some of the imagery in the play, how we had used different aspects of the various Arthurian legends, how we had set the piece back in an earlier, more brutal period, how the lighting really set the various scenes...  We ended up giving him a nice round of applause for his comments and questions.  Amazingly well-informed.

Just three more shows to go this weekend, then next week we're off on Thursday, but have a show on Monday, then Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off.. then we're into the final week of the run.  WOW!

*I just read that Caroline, or Change got extended again to Feb. 1... Hmm... Just what I need, another show to decide between for my visit up in January.  So far it's Avenue Q, Wicked and Hairspray.  But I also want to see Wonderful Town (have friends in it), Urinetown (have a former student in it - and it's closing), Phantom of the Opera (always like seeing and hearing Hugh Panaro), Millie, Little Shop, etc... And now Jeanine Tesori's and Tony Kushner's new piece.  *I love Violet, and Jeanine was very nice to me early on and took the time to talk with me about the biz and such.  I can actually squeeze in two more shows... We'll see.  I'll see what shape my bank account is in...  I may just print off a bunch of vouchers and see what I can get at the box office when I get up there - I seem to have pretty good luck with purchasing same day seats.  *Of course, I found out today that one of my credit cards upped(!) my limit... Must resist, must resist!

Back in a few - or not so few - after checking the rest of my e-mail...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: December 12, 2003, 10:16:47 PM »

I must tell you that the Patty Duke album is one of the most giddily and deliriously bad albums ever made.  I don't know what boggled my mind more - the horror of the out-of-tune, over-the-top vocals or the liner notes by Gene Kelly, who apparently wrote them whilst under the stupor of heroin or without having heard the album.  I need some more suggestions for deliriously bad albums so I can pair this with something on a CDR.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2003, 10:28:27 PM »

Good evening everybody.
I have just returned from the production of Oliver starring our very own TCB.  Here is my review.  Be warned, I'm known for being blunt...
It was, above all, a community production, and must be reviewed as such.  The boys, I thought, were wonderful.  A few tone deaf ones, but enough strong singers to cover them up.  Bumble...well...he could have been better.  I was seated in the front row, so the cast was practically in my lap...and I still couldn't understand a bloody word he sung.  No projection, no diction.  But he acted the part well enough.  
Oliver was played by a girl on this particular night, and she was quite adorable.  Her speaking was very good, and her singing was good as long as she wasn't singing to a recorded part.  The piano player was also part of the "Who Will Buy" group...why, I don't know.  But when she was on stage, they were singing to a recording...and there were a few scary moments where I was holding my breath...
Nancy was excellent...really a lot of potential in that one.  She was 14, though, according to her bio, and she looked it.  It made the realtionship with Bill Sykes a bit hard to swallow.  But she was an amazing actress, and not a bad singer either.
Bill Sykes tried to adopt a terrifying look, and ended up looking like his shorts were on too tight.  
And our own TCB, and I'm not saying this just because I'm afraid of being attacked :)  He was marvelous, easily one of the highlights of the show.  The only other live performance of Fagin I've seen happend to be my father...and I'm afraid TCB outdid him.  (Jed, kindly refrain from mentioning that to Peter)
The strongest part of the show were the scenes in the theives kitchen...the weakest was the finale.  The pacing was gone...and TCB, you might want to advise them to use a louder sound for the gun shots...there are senior citizens out there wearing hearing aids, and even I, in the front row, had no idea what had happend until Bill dropped dead...possibly from fright, we weren't sure.  
The only other thing I'd say would be to lose some of the accents...especially on some of the children...makes catching actual words really difficult.  
But all in all, it was an enjoyable show, and I'm very glad I got to see our dear TCB in person.  Although I must apologize to Tom for being rather brief when I met him after the show.  The damn stutter I have to deal with...it makes me terrified of speaking to people in public situations, especially people I don't know.  So I hope you took no offense...I was in fact very glad to meet you.  
Okay...enough rambling out of me...I must start thinking about finals on Monday...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2003, 10:30:10 PM »

Well Mr BK - I suggest the ELKE SOMMER With Love album - or if you want to go with a "film" theme, use "Billie" also with Miss Patty Duke O'Hara, or Cybill Does It to Cole Porter.....

If you must - It almost stands alone!  After all it IS the "excited voice" of Patty Duke!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: December 12, 2003, 10:32:28 PM »

DR Panni - how about NO TIME FOR COMEDY?  I have only seen the movie with Rosalind Russell and James Stewart, but I liked it a lot...and it was about writing comedy for the theatre.

Oh Mr BK, I nearly forgot - don't forget PATTY DUKE TEEN STAR on the United Artists second tier label UNART!  She sings "DOWNTOWN" with all the ferver she gives "I'LL PLANT MY OWN TREE" and it is a barn burner!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 10:33:54 PM by JRand53 »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2003, 10:35:25 PM »

Okay, it took me a while to get to it, but these are most of my favorite Academy Award winning songs:

My Heart Will Go On from Titanic [yes, I actually like this song]
Colors of The Wind from Pocahontas
A Whole New World from Aladdin
Beauty and the Beast from Beauty and the Beast
Sooner or Later from Dick Tracy
Under The Sea from The Little Mermaid
Up Where We Belong from An Officer And A Gentleman
Arthur's Theme from Arthur
Fame from Fame
Last Dance from Thank God It's Friday
The Way We Were from The Way We Were
Moon River from Breakfast At Tiffany's
Baby, It's Cold Outside from Neptune's Daugher
White Christmas from Holiday Inn
Over The Rainbow from The Wizard Of Oz
The Way You Look Tonight from Swing Time [this is one of my all-time favorite songs]

A few years ago I was in a revue called "The Magic of Broadway Goes to The Movies."  "The Magic of Broadway" was a series of revues put on by a local (but no longer existing) community theater group.  This particular year, we found the sheet music to as many Academy Award winning songs (we weren't able to get six or eight, I think) and just put them all together in a very well received revue.  The year before, my suggestion was to do the musicals that won the Pulitzer Prize for drama.  That was a lot of fun.  I got to sing the Sunday In the Park With George songs...probably the only time that I'll ever be able to sing them in a show.

Also, I've been watching my brand new (from Brazil by way of eBay) DVD to Sophisticated Ladies that I picked up from the post office today.  It's wonderful! :-* I didn't know that Paula Kelly's in it.  I'd only seen her in "Sweet Charity" and a couple of other movies as well as when she was on "Night Court."  She's fabulous on stage!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #170 on: December 12, 2003, 10:35:41 PM »

I am intrigued, yes I am intrigued by the Jean Seberg DVD....hmmmmmmm..

DRJose - I have played Mordred in CAMELOT....does your Mordred get to sing "The Seven Deadly Virtues"?   I love being the evil man in "Guenevere" which is one of my FAVORITE parts of the show!   What a great chorus number!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: December 12, 2003, 10:38:20 PM »

Ah DR George....."Moon River".....ahhhhhhhhhhhh......

Those first few notes always make me think of dear Audrey and handsome George....and now Mr Buddy Ebsen....when he says:  "I need a friend....."

« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 10:39:28 PM by JRand53 »

Tomovoz

« Reply #172 on: December 12, 2003, 10:53:21 PM »

Thanks for the review Ann. I did not expect it so early. I wonder how TCB is at the moment. If I remember correctly you have not only seen Fagin this season but also the Ghost Of Christmas Present. All I get to see this season is Paul Mecurio. Some people have all the luck. (18 days time!). Perhaps TCB should have kidnapped Jed to play Bill Sykes after all!
Jose: It is always a delight to have someone mention Violet. I really think the show has such warmth. And Violet Crumbles are so sweet. Sweet violets sweeter than the roses. (not many Hainsies would be old enough to know the Dinah Shore song I guess).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #173 on: December 12, 2003, 10:54:13 PM »

NO TIME FOR COMEDY is wonderful and has one of my all-time  favourite lines from film.  Charlie Ruggles refers to his dilletante vamp of a wife as "She's a Lorelei with an intellectual patter."

The line is also in the original play by S.N. Behrman.  On Broadway, it starred Katherine Cornell in the Roz Russell role.  Laurence Olivier in the Jimmy Stewart role, and John Williams in the Ruggles role.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #174 on: December 12, 2003, 11:03:33 PM »

DR JRand - Yes, our Mordred does get to sing "Seven Deadly Virtues", a very abridged version of "The Persuasion" (that song has always bewildered me, and not in a good way), and he leads "Fie On Goodness".  Not bad for an actor/part that enters after intermission.

DR Tomovoz (sounds like a distant cousin to the the Brothers Karamazov) - Yes, Violet is indeed a beautiful piece.  And I've heard that Caroline, or Change is just as beautiful.

DR George - Is the DVD of Sophisticated Ladies the same production that was on PBS at one point - and, I think, available on VHS?

OK - I'm outta here...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: December 12, 2003, 11:22:50 PM »

Good for Mordred....except they always made me do the "dream" bit in the first scene so I had to be in costume/makeup at the top of the show.

Ah yes, great line, DR CHARLES POGUE - and isn't that the film (I don't know about the play version) wherein the maid listens in and while she admits she doesn't know exactly what she is hearing it will "make great testimony...."

Tomovoz

« Reply #176 on: December 12, 2003, 11:36:13 PM »

Has Fagin entered from Stage right?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2003, 11:36:39 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #177 on: December 12, 2003, 11:40:15 PM »

The ghost of Christmas Present has also appeared.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #178 on: December 12, 2003, 11:44:05 PM »

I just don't know what to make of the Seberg DVD.  It implies journals, but much of the narration describes and talks about events after her death.  Totally weird, not very good, but I love Jean Seberg so I found it totally enjoyable.

Jed

« Reply #179 on: December 12, 2003, 11:44:05 PM »

Thanks for the Oliver review, Ann.  Something she didn't mention in her review, but that I'll mention myself... apparently seeing TCB in person is like looking at a future vision of my very own self...  You sure you don't have stories from your time in Ellensburg you're not telling, Tom? :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up